2 Yr Old Falls from Deck 11 on Royal Caribbean Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad.

Also confusing about what happened. Did the child fall overboard or fall on the ship in such a way that he died?

Very sad.

Also confusing about what happened. Did the child fall overboard or fall on the ship in such a way that he died?
Well, that particular site is notorious for not telling the whole story. He's basically an "ambulance chaser" type lawyer who really has it in for cruise ships. He posts any and all reports of anything that will reflect negatively on cruise ships. Regardless of the source of the story.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm surprised he hasn't put his usual twist on it that it's all the cruise ship's fault.

It reads like the child fell off the ship.

The grandpa was holding the granddaughter and they went to look out a window or over a railing and she fell out of his arms, down onto the pier.

There's a couple versions of the story that are more complete than what CruiseLawNews cited. A news outlet in Spanish called "The New Day" has a more complete version.

Grandfather should be charged. Even if it wasn't intentional, it was negligent. This was 100% avoidable and not an "accident". I wouldn't even hold my pet over the rail yet alone a child. Hopefully police were able to get a sample immediately after the "accident" in order to see if he was impaired.

This is the stuff of nightmares. Well, my nightmare is more specifically that one of my kids is going to climb up on the rails while I am asleep or in the bathroom and go over, but I have definitely drilled into them that the balcony is off limits without a grown up. So horrific that this time a grown up (and in fact a trusted family member) was the one responsible.

I could totally see this happening in many families. I doubt he was fully holding the child out in the open, probably more likely the child wanted to see, he picked them up, and rested them on the inside edge of the window while holding them the way you might rest them on the edge of a checkout counter at the store, thinking the child was fully secure, and then came the slip backwards over the edge.

I sometimes do think there is a real hazard to the sort of cultural expectation/permission we give grandparents to indulge the grandkids--this sort of myth that rules are for parents, and grandparent time is fun time. When my son was about the same age, I remember finding my dad feeding him hard pretzels and protested because they were a choking hazard. He chuckled "you worry too much, he likes them!" fed him another pretzel, and that very second, my son choked and turned purple. After a lot of screaming and panicking I managed to expel the pretzel with the tummy over the table edge/whack between the shoulder blades method, but I've never felt terror like in that moment and couldn't stop holding my son and crying off and on for weeks. I was lucky and these poor parents weren't.

I also do wonder what kind of a ship has open windows on the 11th floor facing a sheer drop all the way down? Why weren't they sealed portholes that high up?

The title needs to be changed to "2 year old is DROPPED out of open window by stupid grandfather" because that is what happened. This kind of stupidity is criminal and this man should go to jail for the rest of his life. He has ruined his entire family's life with his stupid action. Multiple articles are saying he deliberately held the toddler out the open window as a "game." What a sick game. Who does that to a baby? The poor girl was probably terrified. There are witness accounts that the mom was screaming the whole time. She is never going to forgive this man for that. I wonder if it was her own father or her father in law. Either way, this family will be forever broken and for what? This was not an accident.

The windows in question have been on that ship since 2006. They are above the level of the railing and up on the pool deck, below the overhang, and provide necessary ventilation. They are not easy to "accidentally" fall out of. They are essentially vertical and you would have to lift a child up and OUT the window for there to be any danger.

The windows in question have been on that ship since 2006. They are above the level of the railing and up on the pool deck, below the overhang, and provide necessary ventilation. They are not easy to "accidentally" fall out of. They are essentially vertical and you would have to lift a child up and OUT the window for there to be any danger.

Yes. I thought it was the same as in the area outside the Windjammer on Radiance Class ships. They slide open and closed. And yes, you are not going to accidentally fall out of them without being ridiculously stupid.

I'm just trying to picture in my head how this is even possible and all I can think of is the poor mother who was screaming in agony as her child fell to their death.

I have a grandchild this age and he is a wiggle worm sometimes when I hold him and I'm afraid of a 5 foot drop. What was this man thinking? Out of a window???? Yes, if this is true, he should be charged with this.
The poor parents.

The title needs to be changed to "2 year old is DROPPED out of open window

I agree. I hate when headlines read that someone "fell" off of a cruise ship. I have had to convince a few people who believe these stories and have never cruised that people can't just randomly fall off a ship. There are railings everywhere that are too high to just go over, unless they are intentionally climbing or otherwise, for the most the part. :worried:

I just read it was the maternal grandfather that did this.
The family was sailing with both sets of grandparents, the parents and 2 siblings. The father is a police officer in Indiana.
A witness described the mother's scream, as like no other she has ever heard. :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter