2 Yr Old Falls from Deck 11 on Royal Caribbean Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the windows they think she fell from?

View attachment 415475

Was dropped from. Probably those or the ones in the seating area closer to the buffet. But that kind. As you can see, there is no way to “accidentally fall” out of them. That base is at least waist height unless you are a giant.

It looks like the windows angle inward. If it was the case that the grandfather was holding the baby in the window and he took a step, I can imagine it's possible he slipped on the window below (expecting it to be further away) and his arms hit the window sill causing him to lose his grip. All speculation for sure and, of course, she should never have been in the window in the first place. So sad for everyone involved. I can't imagine the agony.

This story is so disturbing. I have rock climbing experience and am not bothered by heights, but when my daughters were young, I hated having them in high places. The uncertainty of a child's spontaneous movements and lack of judgment combined with the devastating consequences of a mistake always made me uneasy to the point that I held them extra tight and didn't get near an edge. I can't fathom how a grandfather wouldn't feel the same way with a toddler near a window of that height, but I feel nothing but pity for him and his family at this point. We have all done incredibly stupid things at some point in our lives and are usually lucky enough to have irreversible consequences like this one.

Last edited:
It looks like the windows angle inward. If it was the case that the grandfather was holding the baby in the window and he took a step, I can imagine it's possible he slipped on the window below (expecting it to be further away) and his arms hit the window sill causing him to lose his grip. All speculation for sure and, of course, she should never have been in the window in the first place. So sad for everyone involved. I can't imagine the agony.

Looking at the picture, it appears the section of the window that opens is angled outward. Given the height of the window, I don't see any way the child could have ended up outside the window accidentally. And all the articles I've seen reference the grandfather holding the child out the window, not slipping and the child going through the window. I feel terrible for the family. This was a completely avoidable death.

The base is pretty much perpendicular to the deck. Only the top portions are angled.

I get that "multiple" "articles" are saying that the grandpa was dangling the child out of the window, but I'm nevertheless disturbed by how many pitchforks have immediately come out to crucify this man. For one thing, whatever happened to finding out the truth - how do any of us know that what is being reported is really accurate. For another, and maybe this is just me, I don't really get when parents who accidentally leave their child in a hot car are charged either - it's so obviously a terrible, devastating mistake they would never make 99.9999% of the time, and if part of the criminal justice system is in deterrence and punishment, arguably both goals are reached by the consequence alone.

CNN is reporting that he sat her on the edge of the window and lost his balance, not that he dangled her outside the window.

Still not the smartest thing to do but not as crazy and negligent as dangling her out the window.

CNN is reporting that he sat her on the edge of the window and lost his balance, not that he dangled her outside the window.

Still not the smartest thing to do but not as crazy and negligent as dangling her out the window.

It's no less crazy or negligent. That window was 150 feet off the ground. A child has NO business sitting on the edge of an open window even 5 feet off the ground. It's a stupid, stupid thing to do, placing a TODDLER on the edge of an open window on the 11th story of a cruise ship.

It's no less crazy or negligent. That window was 150 feet off the ground. A child has NO business sitting on the edge of an open window even 5 feet off the ground. It's a stupid, stupid thing to do, placing a TODDLER on the edge of an open window on the 11th story of a cruise ship.

it sounds like it could have been a more momentary lapse rather than intentionally doing something so stupid as to dangle a child 150 feet above the ground. Of course it doesn't say but it kind of implied that he rested her there, not that he sat her there independently. Either way it's a huge tragedy and a lapse the grandfather won't ever forget :guilty:

Agreed. Especially when the “ledge” is maybe 2 inches wide.

"There but for the grace of God go I." I'm not perfect and I've done some not-so-smart things in my life. I thank my lucky stars that none of my lapses of judgement in parenting or otherwise have ever resulted in such a tragedy. May that family somehow find peace after their loss.
:littleangel:

"There but for the grace of God go I." I'm not perfect and I've done some not-so-smart things in my life. I thank my lucky stars that none of my lapses of judgement in parenting or otherwise have ever resulted in such a tragedy. May that family somehow find peace after their loss.
:littleangel:
exactly. it sometimes takes a tiny split second lapse in judgement and I have had them, especially when tired. a moment of distraction is all it takes. It is such an unbelievably sad thing and my kiddo has no idea why I have been hugging him all night.

exactly. it sometimes takes a tiny split second lapse in judgement and I have had them, especially when tired. a moment of distraction is all it takes. It is such an unbelievably sad thing and my kiddo has no idea why I have been hugging him all night.

I know, this has just stuck with me all day. That poor family.

Sitting a two year old on a window ledge 11 stories above a cement dock is not a momentary lapse in judgement like giving a two year old a chocolate bar at bedtime is. It is stupid. Plain and simple and you cannot tell me it is different.

Sitting a two year old on a window ledge 11 stories above a cement dock is not a momentary lapse in judgement like giving a two year old a chocolate bar at bedtime is. It is stupid. Plain and simple and you cannot tell me it is different.
I know it's the internet and arguing and judging people with incomplete information is what people do there, but don't argue with ME about it just because I expressed sympathy for this poor family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter