2 Split Stay questions

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Do you think a split stay is worth it if you are only staying in the first resort 2 nights (and arriving late on arrival day)? Second resort would be 6 nights.

Also do you find it a hassle and a loss of a lot of time to switch resorts?

We are doing this exact thing. We are arriving late at one resort and staying a couple nights, then moving to another. We are not planning to even go to the parks for the first hotel, but just enjoy the atmosphere, pool, etc. We would like to relax a bit before taking on the parks.

It’s only a loss of time if you don’t plan it out. Planning it means you’re taking control of that time between checkout and checkin. You can choose to have a two-resort day where you get to swim at both places, etc. you can get everything ready before you head out to the parks for the day, and have Bell services send it on. If you have a car you can take it to the second resort before starting your day. Those and more choices are all yours.

If you let it sneak up on you, if you think you’ll go to the parks but don’t pack up and get ready, if you want a swim day but pack your suits in a bag sent on with Bell, etc etc, then it’ll feel like a totally lost day.

If you can’t afford, don’t want to afford, or can’t get those nights at the final resort, it can be well worth it.

It’s only a loss of time if you don’t plan it out. Planning it means you’re taking control of that time between checkout and checkin. You can choose to have a two-resort day where you get to swim at both places, etc. you can get everything ready before you head out to the parks for the day, and have Bell services send it on. If you have a car you can take it to the second resort before starting your day. Those and more choices are all yours.

If you let it sneak up on you, if you think you’ll go to the parks but don’t pack up and get ready, if you want a swim day but pack your suits in a bag sent on with Bell, etc etc, then it’ll feel like a totally lost day.

If you can’t afford, don’t want to afford, or can’t get those nights at the final resort, it can be well worth it.

That's the debate. I have a split stay reservation but may need to remove 2 days so that makes me wonder if the first stay (supposed to be 3 nights) would be worth it when it needs to become 2 nights. Or I can just remove the split stay and add on one more day at the second stay resort to make it easier. I just wanted to do a split stay simply to try another resort while going back to an old favorite.

I love split stays and I think two nights would be fine. I've done who trips for that length before. Split stays are fun you get to experience two different resorts. Which two hotels are you planning on staying in?

I don't mind a split stay as long as I plan/ pack accordingly. I pack the first few days worth of clothing etc in one bag and the second stay in a second bag. I travel light so there's not much luggage to lug. As we use clothes they go back into suitcase 1. On "changeover day" it's already packed up and ready for Bell Services. We either go to the pool at either resort, or go to breakfast/ a park and then head to the second resort. I don't think it's such a hassle but it's really up to you based on your plans whether or not 2 days is worth it to enjoy 2 resorts.

It seems like if you remove the first part of the split stay and adding 1 night to the second stay, you're losing a night and I'd factor that in as well.

In addition to what others have pointed out, keep in mind that changes to the FP process have happened recently and split stays now have 2 FP booking windows. You'd be able to book FP for your first 3 days with a 2 night stay, at 60 days out and then a second window would open 60 days before the second part of your split stay. Note- this is not happening for everyone because MDE has been really glitchy but it is happening for a lot of people and it did happen that way for me. It's not a deal breaker, I would just be aware and plan FP accordingly.

We are doing this very thing in less than a week. I planned it out, however, to fit our touring plan and style. I was able to snag two nights at VGF at a good price and I've always wanted to stay there. On most of our trips, we only go to MK for one day, so we will use our two nights there to explore MK, the amenities at GF and anything else we want to do in the MK area. We then transfer to the Dolphin for 4 nights and do the rest of our touring from there. I'm also packing accordingly and will do a load of laundry at VGF (we will be arriving from a short 3 night trip to San Antonio) before moving to the Dolphin. We will also utilize a Minnie Van on our transfer day. I'm actually really looking forward to it. We will do things in the MK area we haven't done in a while as we typically stay near EP. Again, as long as you plan things out to maximize your resort location, I think split stays can be awesome.

We either go to the pool at either resort, or go to breakfast/ a park and then head to the second resort. I don't think it's such a hassle but it's really up to you based on your plans whether or not 2 days is worth it to enjoy 2 resorts

In addition to what others have pointed out, keep in mind that changes to the FP process have happened recently and split stays now have 2 FP booking windows. You'd be able to book FP for your first 3 days with a 2 night stay, at 60 days out and then a second window would open 60 days before the second part of your split stay. Note- this is not happening for everyone because MDE has been really glitchy but it is happening for a lot of people and it did happen that way for me. It's not a deal breaker, I would just be aware and plan FP accordingly.
2 good things brought up
1 - Plans for the day - we always go to parks, we don't ever take any days off. We just don't do long park days on any day. So it's never an issue to be "homeless" if it takes a full day to get our room. If you aren't at the parks this can be a problem
2 - we haven't done one since the new FP process began. I don't think it's a problem since 60 days is 60 days, it's not like the 2nd stay is loosing out on anything, it's just not gaining something like it used to. But, I'll know more when I actually go to book our next one and see if it bugs me, or doesn't.

2 good things brought up
1 - Plans for the day - we always go to parks, we don't ever take any days off. We just don't do long park days on any day. So it's never an issue to be "homeless" if it takes a full day to get our room. If you aren't at the parks this can be a problem
2 - we haven't done one since the new FP process began. I don't think it's a problem since 60 days is 60 days, it's not like the 2nd stay is loosing out on anything, it's just not gaining something like it used to. But, I'll know more when I actually go to book our next one and see if it bugs me, or doesn't.

Agreed, we usually go to a park for a little while so we grab the park bag and head off. The few times we've done a pool day instead, I just pack a tote with swimsuit/ sunscreen and take it with us to breakfast. Ideally though, a park day is easier.

I thought the FP window opening in 2 parts would annoy me and it really didn't. At 60 days I booked 60+4 with no issues- plenty of availability each day (FoP was available on 60, 60+1, 60+2 as an example). My last 2 days are Epcot and MK and when my 60 day window opened for those (at 63 days before my first night of my first resort reservation) there was plenty of availability then as well. I peeked to see what FoP, SDD, 7DMT looked like and there were plenty of times to choose from for both days. Agreed- 60 days is 60 days and it's really just having to plan for that and logging in a second time to book that last leg of the stay. I look at it this way- availability would have been the same if I was only visiting for 3 days and not adding the split stay.

I don't mind a split stay as long as I plan/ pack accordingly. I pack the first few days worth of clothing etc in one bag and the second stay in a second bag. I travel light so there's not much luggage to lug. As we use clothes they go back into suitcase 1. On "changeover day" it's already packed up and ready for Bell Services. We either go to the pool at either resort, or go to breakfast/ a park and then head to the second resort. I don't think it's such a hassle but it's really up to you based on your plans whether or not 2 days is worth it to enjoy 2 resorts.

It seems like if you remove the first part of the split stay and adding 1 night to the second stay, you're losing a night and I'd factor that in as well.

I purchased a package with first stay with 9 day tickets. I thought I could book all FP at once when 60 days out from first stay?

what/???

So basically they go by your second stay reservation date??
No, you will have 2 booking windows. One is based on your first check-in and one is based on your second check-in (the day you switch resorts). Booking window is now based on resort stay length and not ticket length. As of about 2 weeks ago (maybe more/ less?)

As an example, I have a 3/3 split stay. I had 2 FP windows. One on March 9 to book 60 days out from my 1st resort check-in on May 8. At 60 days out I was able to book FP for May 8, 9, 10, 11 (3 nights plus checkout day). On May 11 we move to another resort. My window for May 11, 12, 13, 14 ( the second 3 nights plus checkout day) opened on March 12, 60 days ahead of that second check-in (the day we switch). Keep in mind, I was able to book May 11 (check out of one resort, check into another) with that first window because it is still considered the checkout day.

I think part of this depends on your travel party. If it's just a couple of adults, 2 nights is very do-able. While it is short, it's enough time to get to experience a different resort. If it's adults and some kiddos, that could be a bit more of a pain if you have to pack up you and the kiddos. It's definitely not out of the question, just something to consider.

The move day is really easy, at least based on how we usually plan it. We make that day a park day, so we plan to be away from the room for a while. We usually sleep in a bit on that day and then leave by 11am (check out time). We then plan to stay at the park until sometime in the evening and then just head back to the new resort and pick up our luggage from Bell Services. You could have your luggage delivered to your room, but we usually just pick it up ourselves.

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter