1st time DxDPer's interactive review

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
I've spent countless hours obsessing over ADRs and looking at menus and I just can't wait until our May trip! :banana: I have been hanging out on these boards too long and have started the annoying (to my family) habit of taking pictures of our food on vacation. It's actually a little embarrassing when I show vacation albums to friends. :cool2: :lmao: At least I know you guys understand! :thumbsup2

Now that I've got all our dining plans for our trip, I've been obsessing over the menus and dreaming about what I'm going to order. I'm even concerned about not missing out on any great snacks! I wondered if some of you other OCD dining planners would help me out?

If you help me decide what to order, I will come back here after my trip and give my full report on your recommendations. Pictures and all, of course! So let's get started.

Here's the plan:
(DxDDP)

May 5th:
Beaches & Cream (Late lunch/Dinner)
Snacks at Beachclub or Boardwalk

May 6th:
Storybook Breakfast at Akershus
Rose and Crown Pub
Snacks at Epcot
Chefs de France

May 7th:
Cape May Cafe (Breakfast)
Snacks at DHS
Sci Fi Drive-In (Lunch)

(Temporary move to Universal)
May 8th:
Mythos (Lunch)
Quick service dinner and snacks at IOA

May 9th: (Mother's Day) at US
Lombard's Grille (Lunch)
Quick service dinner and snacks at US

(Back to WDW! :yay:) (Regular DDP now.)
May 10th:
Snacks at MK
CS meal at Bay Lake Towers
'Ohana (Dinner)

May 11th:
Snacks at AK
Yak & Yeti (CS) (Lunch)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (Dinner)

May 12th:
Snacks at MK
CS lunch at PVH or CR?
CRT (Dinner)

May 13th:
50's Primetime Cafe (Lunch)
CS Dinner at DHS (any recommendations?)
Snacks at DHS

May 14th:
Snacks at MK
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Use up leftover snacks at MK

Please tell me specifically what I should order at each place. [Appetizers (for the first few days) and desserts too!] I'll post ahead of time what I have decided to order and then fill in my reviews when I get home. Don't hesitate to add your own pictures if you have them to help convince me. And please, please, please recommend snacks too!

Finally let me tell you about my family and our tastes.

Me:
I have kind of plain midwest tastes. I don't like seafood, lamb, game meat, or mushrooms. I love chocolate!

DH:
Was a vegetarian for 10+ years but is quite into meat now. Not a seafood fan, but sometimes likes to try it. More on the adventurous side. Likes apps better than desserts, but won't skip dessert either.

I know the kid's meals are pretty simple, but in case you need to know about the kids:
DS5:
Mac n' Cheese lover. Will try different food, but not a big meat fan. Will eat anything when bribed with dessert.

DS3:
Hates cheese. Loves sausage! Peanut butter and pretzels are his staples. Depends on his mood as to whether he'll try new things. Cannot be bribed with dessert. :sad2:

DD1:
Will eat off our our plates. She'll surely find something she likes!

Thanks for playing! :)

:confused3 it looks like you will have 3 credits left from your DxDP - unless I am counting wrong you have 6 credits planned but you get 3 per person per night.

:confused3 it looks like you will have 3 credits left from your DxDP - unless I am counting wrong you have 6 credits planned but you get 3 per person per night.

Thanks for looking out for me! :goodvibes We're actually just staying two nights at Beach Club Villas so we're spreading 6 credits over three days. We're moving over to Universal on the 7th and back to Bay Lake Towers the evening of the 9th. So we should have 2 nights of DxDDP before Universal and 5 nights of DDP after. Does that add up?

Okay, so is everyone shy to jump in or is this a dumb idea? :confused3

Let's start with Beaches & Cream...

I know from my research that I have to have the "No Way Jose" Sundae for dessert! But what else would you recommend here?

We should be starving from a long day of travel by the time we get here, so probably anything will be delicious! How does the DxDDP work here? Are there any appetizers or does that not apply here? Does a "No Way Jose" count as a dessert for just one person (even though it looks like the whole family should share it?) If so what should DH order for his dessert?

Well, I'm off to search the menu. But any advice/recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

For Beaches & Cream, I'm leaning towards the Roast Beef Sub, Cheeseburger, or Chicken Ceasar Salad. Are any of these NOT good? Are any especially good?

Are the sodas with syrup good? I hate to waste calories on something that's not delicious!

Looking at the desserts--no one can sway me from the No Way Jose (although the Banana Split looks yummy!), but I think DH may choose either the Frozen Sunshine or possibly the Milky Way Sundae (that might be my wishful thinking--I could go for a bite of that!) I would think the Frozen Sunshine could be a big miss. Anyone had it before?

I know DS3 will go for the Hot Dog Kids meal. Is the "dessert of the day" usually some kind of ice cream?

DS5 won't be thrilled with his choices. He'll probably order the mini cheeseburger and just eat the bun and the fruit and of course whatever the dessert is.

I hope I can find something healthy for DD1. She can share the fruit with the boys and maybe some chicken or beef depending on what I order.

Man, the boys are going to go nuts! We usually don't let them have any sugar but maybe one cookie or something little every 3 or 4 days. This dining plan and all the desserts will make them so happy! I hope they can handle the sugar! :stitch:

Through asking some questions on the main board, I think I have figured out what we'll order at Beaches & Cream. Since we're on the DxDDP people said we'll have a choice of soup, chili, or onion rings as an appetizer.

Me:
Bottle of Water
Onion Rings
Cheeseburger
No Way Jose :yay:

DH:
Soda with some kind of syrup added
Chili
Beef Sub or Cheeseburger
Frozen Sunshine (Anyone have a picture? I'd like to see it! You can bet I'll post a picture in my review when we get back!)

DS5:
Water
Mini Hamburger Kids Meal

DS3:
Water
Hot dog Kids Meal

I still haven't heard from anyone what the "Dessert of the Day" typically is for Kids Meals here. I'm guessing some kind of ice cream. I'd like to find out ahead of time if it is usually a small serving or too big for little kids. I may tell the waiter to skip their desserts and let them have some of ours.

I'm sure we'll be taking leftover food back to our villa to warm up for dinner later. I want to save room for the sundaes! :laughing:

Next, I'd like some recommendations for good use of snack credits on the Boardwalk or at the Beach Club Resort. popcorn::

I'm in. WOW, it's nice to know I'm not alone with obsessing, I only have 8 months till I make my ADR's for our next trip!:lmao: I am very interested to know if the Deluxe plan makes touring too busy (too much food doesn't bother me), that is my only hesitation!

can't wait to follow

:welcome:

I'm in. WOW, it's nice to know I'm not alone with obsessing, I only have 8 months till I make my ADR's for our next trip!:lmao: I am very interested to know if the Deluxe plan makes touring too busy (too much food doesn't bother me), that is my only hesitation!

:welcome: Great! I'm not sure I would do it for a long time. That's where having a split stay helps so we can indulge for a while and then quit while our clothes still fit! :lmao:

Looks like you've been to Beaches and Cream. Do you know what the "dessert of the day" usually is on the kids menu? I'm guessing some kind of ice cream like flavor of the day or something.

I've been scoping out these threads and asking on the main restaurant board (since this seems to be more of a lurking board than one where everyone jumps in with opinions) for Boardwalk snack ideas. I was thinking that we'll want some snacks later in the evening after a late Beaches & Cream lunch and some pooltime at Stormalong Bay. All the snack credit recommendations have been for sweet treats so I have a good idea what DH and I can eat, but I won't let my kids have that much sugar so what to do? :laughing: I haven't stayed at Beach Club before but I think I heard that they have a QS place, right? Maybe a hotdog or soft pretzel or something for the boys? We'll bring instant oatmeal with us for misc. breakfasts too, so if we're desperate, they can eat that for "dinner." I'm sure I'll pick some treats from Boardwalk Bakery for me and DH! I've heard about great milkshake and gelato options around here, but I'm thinking we'll be ice creamed out after B&C.

The first morning of our trip begins with breakfast at Akershus. :lovestruc We've never been there before and I'm excited to start our trip out this way. We have an 8am ressie and the park opens at 9am. Sounds great! :yay:

Lunch this day will be at Rose and Crown Pub. The reviews have been excellent and I'm really looking forward to this place as well. We've never eaten here either. A lot of firsts for us this trip! I think I will order the Bangers and Mash here. I like Italian sausage, polish sausage, and breakfast sausage. I'm not a bratwurst fan. Will I like this? I'd like to go for something more exciting than a burger here but I don't like fish, veal, mushrooms, or corned beef. I think DH will go for the Corned Beef sandwich or the Shephards pie. I know he will order the Sticky Tofee Pudding and I will definately try that. I'm thinking I want to try the Bailey's Coffee Trifle or whatever it's called. Should I cange my mind and go for the Sticky Toffee Pudding too? :confused3 It seems to be their claim to fame.

Coming soon:
Contemplating what we should order at Chefs de France for dinner. Any ideas? :rolleyes1 :lmao: We are celebrating our 15th anniversary here and let them know that. Have they been known to do anything special for anniversaries here?

Looks like you've been to Beaches and Cream. Do you know what the "dessert of the day" usually is on the kids menu? I'm guessing some kind of ice cream like flavor of the day or something.

Actually, it was Ghiradelli's downtown! Yum, it was awesome! We've never been to Beaches and Cream, but maybe next trip when we stay in that area. We are hoping for a pin (I keep getting pins, so I hope we get one when we need one!) so we can stay at Boardwalk, if not we are staying at the Dolphin.

Akershus breakfast was one of our favorite meals of the trip. Sooo much fresh fruit, berries and all, pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, addicting potatoes mmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9: WE LOVED IT!!!! My DH said it will be a must do each trip.

Actually, it was Ghiradelli's downtown! Yum, it was awesome! We've never been to Beaches and Cream, but maybe next trip when we stay in that area. We are hoping for a pin (I keep getting pins, so I hope we get one when we need one!) so we can stay at Boardwalk, if not we are staying at the Dolphin.

Akershus breakfast was one of our favorite meals of the trip. Sooo much fresh fruit, berries and all, pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, addicting potatoes mmmmmmmmmmmm :cloud9: WE LOVED IT!!!! My DH said it will be a must do each trip.

Ahhh, Ghiradelli's! Looks delicious! Glad to hear about Akershus. It was a last thought add on. We originally planned to eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse (2TS credits.) I decided I'd rather stay in Epcot and not have to dress up so we switched to Chefs de France and that left us with an extra TS for Akershus. Now I'm really looking forward to it!

It looks like there are lots of good options at Chefs de France. I'm hoping DH will let me pick what he orders too! ;) I'd like to try a flat bread and the onion soup for appetizers, the macaroni and cheese and the filet with gratin potatoes for the entrees, and the creme brulee and the chocolate prolifer...whatever for desserts! Does that cover the best of everything? Now how to convince DH to split everything right down the middle since I can't possibly pick which would be mine and which would be his?! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter