1st time DxDPer's interactive review

I've been scoping out these threads and asking on the main restaurant board (since this seems to be more of a lurking board than one where everyone jumps in with opinions) for Boardwalk snack ideas. I was thinking that we'll want some snacks later in the evening after a late Beaches & Cream lunch and some pooltime at Stormalong Bay. All the snack credit recommendations have been for sweet treats so I have a good idea what DH and I can eat, but I won't let my kids have that much sugar so what to do? :laughing: I haven't stayed at Beach Club before but I think I heard that they have a QS place, right? Maybe a hotdog or soft pretzel or something for the boys? We'll bring instant oatmeal with us for misc. breakfasts too, so if we're desperate, they can eat that for "dinner."

Signing in! :thumbsup2

We stayed at Beach Club last year. There is a small QS. It's located inside the Lobby Shop. The menu is very limited and there is no seating. It's literally a counter inside a shop. I agree that having a "Plan B" for snacks is a good idea.

One of my concerns is too much sugar. :scared1: I know, I know that's not a concern in these disboards. Last year we went during Food and Wine so most of our credits were used for actual food items. But when we go in September, it will be before F&W, so I really will need recommendations for non-sweets. I hope you can find some good snacks!

signing in too...we are staying at YC in Aug so will be interesting to hear the reviews.

the kids dessert at Beaches is a scoop of ice cream in a bowl with 2 oreos to make it look like mickey ears and a cherry.

at Chefs, I'd recommend the apple pancake with caramel sauce and profiterole...there's a pic of both in the dining review I did below.

for a savoury snack we like the soft pretzels from the carts...you'll be near to International gateway too so don't know if savoury options count as snack credits at the boulangerie and the English chips (fries) at Yorkshire Chip shop.

Yum - your list looks great! For Chefs de France - one of my kids had the cheeseburger and fries, which was really good and good portion sizes. He really enjoyed it. My other kid had the pasta and chicken fingers, and this is the only restaurant in the world where he got REAL chicken tenders, and they were delicious. The pasta came plain with sauce on the side, so he ate it with butter, just the way he likes it. Another huge portion. Chefs had the largest kids portions. The kids salads come with a vinaigrette, so if your kids won't eat that, be warned.

For adults - my hubby had the onion soup and filet of beef - loved them both. I had the lobster bisque and gratin de macaroni, and adored them both. We both had the creme brulee, which was fabulous!!!

Enjoy! This was one of my most favorite meals of our trip (we were there just a few weeks ago).

Signing in! :thumbsup2

We stayed at Beach Club last year. There is a small QS. It's located inside the Lobby Shop. The menu is very limited and there is no seating. It's literally a counter inside a shop. I agree that having a "Plan B" for snacks is a good idea.

One of my concerns is too much sugar. :scared1: I know, I know that's not a concern in these disboards. Last year we went during Food and Wine so most of our credits were used for actual food items. But when we go in September, it will be before F&W, so I really will need recommendations for non-sweets. I hope you can find some good snacks!

:welcome: I'll definately be on the look out for non-sweet snacks. Although I love to try all the sweet things, my kids really don't eat sugar and it will turn them into beasts within the hour. I'm trying not to obsess and let them have more treats since we're on vacation, but we'll play it by ear.
signing in too...we are staying at YC in Aug so will be interesting to hear the reviews.

the kids dessert at Beaches is a scoop of ice cream in a bowl with 2 oreos to make it look like mickey ears and a cherry.

at Chefs, I'd recommend the apple pancake with caramel sauce and profiterole...there's a pic of both in the dining review I did below.

for a savoury snack we like the soft pretzels from the carts...you'll be near to International gateway too so don't know if savoury options count as snack credits at the boulangerie and the English chips (fries) at Yorkshire Chip shop.

:welcome: I'm glad to finally hear about the kids dessert! :yay: Thanks! I'm still undecided about whether to let them have it or to share a few bites of ours. We'll see. I'm sure you'll all be hanging on the edges of your seats to find out! :lmao:

I'll definately check out your dining review. The apple pancake recommendation is really blowing my confidence on the creme brulee decision now. Rats! Too many good choices! I need to do some research and find out if those savoury options are snack credits. Good ideas! And thanks for playing along! :thumbsup2

Yum - your list looks great! For Chefs de France - one of my kids had the cheeseburger and fries, which was really good and good portion sizes. He really enjoyed it. My other kid had the pasta and chicken fingers, and this is the only restaurant in the world where he got REAL chicken tenders, and they were delicious. The pasta came plain with sauce on the side, so he ate it with butter, just the way he likes it. Another huge portion. Chefs had the largest kids portions. The kids salads come with a vinaigrette, so if your kids won't eat that, be warned.

For adults - my hubby had the onion soup and filet of beef - loved them both. I had the lobster bisque and gratin de macaroni, and adored them both. We both had the creme brulee, which was fabulous!!!

Enjoy! This was one of my most favorite meals of our trip (we were there just a few weeks ago).

:welcome: I'm glad to hear about the chicken fingers! I think that will be the pick for my boys. I hadn't really looked at the kids menu before. I just did and it looks great! Too bad my kids won't appreciate it! They are 3 and 5! (And a 1 yr old who will eat off of everyone's plates and who is not picky yet!) I wonder what the other kids' appetizer (cheese puff pastry) is like? I guess we'll find out since I know our kids won't eat salad.

Next topics:
Snacks at Epcot
Snacks at DHS
Lunch at Sci-Fi

I would love some ideas on the snacks although I certainly have some in mind. I've never tried the school bread and it seems to come highly recommended in most discussions on snacks. And my number one snack to seek out on this trip is the butterfinger cupcake from Starring Rolls in DHS. We do have a LOT of snack credits to use though and I could use a lot more recommendations! We'll have 36 credits to use! So I don't mind using some just to taste something we haven't tried before.

I've never been to Sci-Fi so I definately want to know what's good and not so good here.

Hey there! I like your idea so I thought I'd throw some things out there.

I've heard wonderful things about Starring Rolls Cafe in Hollywood Studios. They have a lot of sweets like butterfinger cupcakes, and during lunch hours they have sandwhich combos you can get with chips and a dessert.

Get a shake at Whispering Canyon Cafe, they count as your drink! They come in mason jars and are so cute; I got strawberry last time, my sister got cotton candy.
Everyone seems to like the shakes at Sci Fi, too, and the burgers and onion rings.

I'd probably go with Pizza Planet for dinner at HS...seems to be the least offensive option. Just stay away from ABC Commisary at all costs!! It is the worst food I've had on property hands down!!

I love Crystal Palace dinner, I imagine lunch will be much of the same. I really enjoyed the peel & eat shrimp, the salmon, and the green beans from the kiddie buffet. Ooh, and the cookies! Snuck some out in my purse, haha.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with Chefs De France or Rose and Crown, but I'm interested to hear about your experiences there.

At Cosmic Ray's I really dug the BBQ pork sandwhich, but this trip we're gonna try Columbia Harbour House on for size. Fried fish, fried shrimp, various sandwhiches...sounds like a nice change of pace. As far as snacks at MK I know I'm planning on trying a cappuccino float, a home made ice cream sandwhich, and maybe the strawberry shortcake sundae!! I think the first and last are at Auntie Gravities maybe? Not sure. I know the ice cream sandwich is at Main Street Bakery.

Epcot snacks...
Well, I have a few things that I want to try this upcoming trip, so I might as well share them with you! I'm not sure how many I'll actually try, but here are my ideas...
  • Kaki-Gori in Japan, rainbow flavour!
  • Something from the Boulangerie Patisserie in France...but I don't know what. I'm thinking ham and cheese croissant or maybe the strawberry tart. Probably just whatever looks good when I'm there.
  • Kingla Bakeri Og Kafe in Norway...I think the lunch special sounds good; open faced sandwich, soup, dessert.
  • Sunshine Seasons! This is my favourite place to grab lunch and they have tons of yummy goodies that could be snacks. Muffins, strawberry shortcake, cookies, cupcakes, etc. I really like their roasted chicken with garlic mashed potatoes for lunch...but I think I might have to pull away and try something else this year. (...Or maybe not! =P)

I don't have much to say about Hollywood Studios, I haven't snacked much there. I'm interested in popping in to the Tune In Lounge at 50s Prime Time Cafe to grab a milkshake or flavoured soda. Not sure if those count as snack credits though. I've heard really good things about the big pretzels...cream cheese filled and jalepeno-cheese filled. Starring Rolls seems to be the place to go for yummy stuff there.

My boyfriend and I will be in Disney the same time as you. Maybe we'll see each other taking food pics. =P

At the Boulangerie Patisserie- which really is a short walk from your hotel in Epcot- I LOVE the Pithivier- it's a pastry filled with a kind of almond cream. Now I don't normally like Pastry and I don't even like almonds- but somehow this combination is delicious! And I never would have ordered it because it looks kind of blah- but on line I met a girl that worked in the patisserie- she wasn't working that day. But she came to buy a pithivier! So I decided to try it. So glad I did.

We weren't wowed by the School bread. Just not our type of thing I guess. Our must have Epcot snacks include the above mentioned, a pretzel from the Germany kiosk, a funnel cake from the American Adventure.
Sunshine seasons is always a mad house when we go(summer) so we usually avoid it at all costs. But I would love to try that place this time.
I'll be watching to see what you end up with!

Oh and had to say we LOVED Mythos! at universal. For Park food it is YUMMY! And the restaurant is cool.

Most of your other choices are buffet so I can't tell you what I would order there.
At Yak and Yeti I am all over the Steak and shrimp meal.

Hey there! I like your idea so I thought I'd throw some things out there.

:welcome:

I've heard wonderful things about Starring Rolls Cafe in Hollywood Studios. They have a lot of sweets like butterfinger cupcakes, and during lunch hours they have sandwhich combos you can get with chips and a dessert.

Definately on my list! Twice!

Get a shake at Whispering Canyon Cafe, they count as your drink! They come in mason jars and are so cute; I got strawberry last time, my sister got cotton candy.

I don't want to look like a piggy in front of my in-laws! :rotfl: Good thing they're not along while we're on the DxDDP! It does sound go though!

Everyone seems to like the shakes at Sci Fi, too, and the burgers and onion rings.

Check.

I'd probably go with Pizza Planet for dinner at HS...seems to be the least offensive option. Just stay away from ABC Commisary at all costs!! It is the worst food I've had on property hands down!!

Good advice. I was leaning toward Pizza Planet.

I love Crystal Palace dinner, I imagine lunch will be much of the same. I really enjoyed the peel & eat shrimp, the salmon, and the green beans from the kiddie buffet. Ooh, and the cookies! Snuck some out in my purse, haha.

We had lunch there a few years ago and DH loved it. I can't really remember the food. I do recall the desserts were good! I'm trying to figure out if we should save a DDP credit for this meal as it is our last, and we'll be out of TS credits) and pay OOP for a different meal.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with Chefs De France or Rose and Crown, but I'm interested to hear about your experiences there.

I sure hope I have something better to report!

At Cosmic Ray's I really dug the BBQ pork sandwhich, but this trip we're gonna try Columbia Harbour House on for size. Fried fish, fried shrimp, various sandwhiches...sounds like a nice change of pace. As far as snacks at MK I know I'm planning on trying a cappuccino float, a home made ice cream sandwhich, and maybe the strawberry shortcake sundae!! I think the first and last are at Auntie Gravities maybe? I'm going to have to look that up! Those sound really good!Not sure. I know the ice cream sandwich is at Main Street Bakery. That's definately on our list too! DH has been talking about the one he had at ASMovies 5 years ago! I only recently found out they had them at MSBakery too!

Epcot snacks...
Well, I have a few things that I want to try this upcoming trip, so I might as well share them with you! I'm not sure how many I'll actually try, but here are my ideas...
  • Kaki-Gori in Japan, rainbow flavour!
    Definately worth a try! The kids loved it!
  • Something from the Boulangerie Patisserie in France...but I don't know what. I'm thinking ham and cheese croissant or maybe the strawberry tart. Probably just whatever looks good when I'm there.
    I plan to stop there too!
  • Kingla Bakeri Og Kafe in Norway...I think the lunch special sounds good; open faced sandwich, soup, dessert.
  • Sunshine Seasons! This is my favourite place to grab lunch and they have tons of yummy goodies that could be snacks. Muffins, strawberry shortcake, cookies, cupcakes, etc. I really like their roasted chicken with garlic mashed potatoes for lunch...but I think I might have to pull away and try something else this year. (...Or maybe not! =P)
I'm a fan too!

I don't have much to say about Hollywood Studios, I haven't snacked much there. I'm interested in popping in to the Tune In Lounge at 50s Prime Time Cafe to grab a milkshake or flavoured soda. Not sure if those count as snack credits though. I've heard really good things about the big pretzels...cream cheese filled and jalepeno-cheese filled. Where do you find that? DH would love that!Starring Rolls seems to be the place to go for yummy stuff there.

My boyfriend and I will be in Disney the same time as you. Maybe we'll see each other taking food pics. =P
A dead giveaway! :goodvibes

See above :)

At the Boulangerie Patisserie- which really is a short walk from your hotel in Epcot- I LOVE the Pithivier- it's a pastry filled with a kind of almond cream. Now I don't normally like Pastry and I don't even like almonds- but somehow this combination is delicious! And I never would have ordered it because it looks kind of blah- but on line I met a girl that worked in the patisserie- she wasn't working that day. But she came to buy a pithivier! So I decided to try it. So glad I did.

We weren't wowed by the School bread. Just not our type of thing I guess. Our must have Epcot snacks include the above mentioned, a pretzel from the Germany kiosk, a funnel cake from the American Adventure.
Sunshine seasons is always a mad house when we go(summer) so we usually avoid it at all costs. But I would love to try that place this time.
I'll be watching to see what you end up with!

Oh and had to say we LOVED Mythos! at universal. For Park food it is YUMMY! And the restaurant is cool.

Most of your other choices are buffet so I can't tell you what I would order there.
At Yak and Yeti I am all over the Steak and shrimp meal.

:welcome:
I will definately try the Pithivier! Sounds right up my alley! So glad you recommended it, thanks! I'm not sure school bread is going to be my favorite either, but after reading about it so much, we'll still give it a try. I believe the funnel cake isn't available for a snack credit anymore. :sad1: And I know we won't need to buy any extra! :laughing:

We've eaten at Mythos three times I think, and we're looking forward to introducing my in-laws to it. I wish it were open for dinner, but we'll just make lunch our main meal. I'm sure we'll need a break anyway! Do you have any more recommendations TS or QS for Universal Orlando?

Update on the cappuccino float! It's actually at Sleepy Hollow, not Auntie Gravities...it sounds really yummy. Soft serve, cappuccino, not really sure how you could go wrong with that combo!

When I was in Epcot last year the funnel cake stand didn't take the DDP. I'm not sure if this was in American Adventure or not...I just remember pouting because I didn't want to shell out some ridiculous amount of money for a funnel cake!

The school bread sounds like something my boyfriend would like. He loves custard, and coconut, so I think I'll probably try at least a nibble of that. I'm really interested in seeing some pictures of the more savory offerings at the Pattiserie (I know I misspelled it but I'm too lazy to look up how to spell it at the moment) in France. I'm also trying to find some vegetarian savory snack credits my boyfriend can use on our trip since he doesn't eat meat. If you have any ideas, let me know. =]

The Crystal Palace lunch, according to AllEars, is about $23 per adult and $13 per kid. I don't know...I would probably pay out of pocket for this meal unless there's somewhere you want to go where you won't be ordering appetizers or desserts. It seems like it's less expensive than the standard Disney meal. I priced a lunch at 50's Prime Time with appetizer, entree, and dessert (picked the most expensive things) and it's like $32...just gives you an idea. Yes, I have nothing better to do than to price other people's lunches...=P

The Crystal Palace lunch, according to AllEars, is about $23 per adult and $13 per kid. I don't know...I would probably pay out of pocket for this meal unless there's somewhere you want to go where you won't be ordering appetizers or desserts. It seems like it's less expensive than the standard Disney meal. I priced a lunch at 50's Prime Time with appetizer, entree, and dessert (picked the most expensive things) and it's like $32...just gives you an idea. Yes, I have nothing better to do than to price other people's lunches...=P

:lmao: Awesome!
The two restaurants we may consider paying OOP would be Whispering Canyon Cafe or 50's Prime Time. We won't be ordering appetizers here and could certainly share a dessert and I usually drink water. I'll have to seriously price it out.

UPDATE:
I think we'll do 50's Prime Time OOP. I would definately go for the fried chicken for $15 and just water, no appetizer or dessert. The kids meals are $8.59 so at least the three out of 4 of us will come out with savings over Crystal Palace. This will be a good excuse to go get a butterfinger cupcake at Starring Rolls for dessert! ;)

I'm starting my list here for:

Snacks we may try at Epcot:
Waffle cone or Float (Fountainview Cafe)
Pithivier (Boulangerie Patisserie)
Napoleon (Boulangerie Patisserie)
Ham & Cheese Croissant (Boulangerie Patisserie)
Filled Crepes (Crepes de Chefs de France)
Soft Pretzel (Germany)
Kaki Gori (Japan)
Frozen Coke or Frozen Lemonade (Liberty Inn/Fife & Drum)
School Bread (Norway)
Sweet Pretzel (Norway)
Jarlsberg and Leek Soup (Norway)
Creamhorn (Norway)
Tropical Smoothie (Promenade Refreshments-near Canada)
Strawberry Shortcake (Sunshine Seasons)

Snacks we may try at DHS:
Starring Rolls:
Butterfinger Cupcake
White Chocolate Cupcake or Chocolate Peanutbutter Cupcake
Cafe Mocha
Writer's Stop:
Carrot Cake Cookie
Fruit Cooler or Iced Mochaccino
I know I'm missing stuff here (DHS)...what else?

And finally I think I know what we'll order at Sci-Fi. I've got to go for the Oreo shake for my drink! :scared1: (I'm usually a water drinker--I hate to waste calories on a drink!) I'll order onion rings for my appetizer, a bacon cheddar burger for lunch, and Peanutbutter Chocolate Cake for dessert. Wow! Where am I going to put all this? I'm not even going to guess what DH will order here. If he doesn't like what he picks, he can always eat half of my food! :laughing:

My kids will have the tomato soup for appetizers, mac n' cheese for one, a hot dog for the other, and both will have fruit salad for dessert. That way the baby will have enough to eat with sharing the soup and fruit salad and of course we'll let the boys share our "real" desserts.

Next up: Deciding snacks for Animal Kingdom and what to order at Whispering Canyon. We'll be on the regular DDP now, so don't tempt me with appetizers, okay?! ;)

Okay, looks like the way to go at Whispering Canyon Cafe is the skillet. I'm pretty sure DH and I will both go for that. I'll have the chocolate cake and he'll have the Smores Cheesecake for dessert. He'd better share! I think we'll even order the skillet for the kids although the chance that they'll eat any meat is slim. I just think with the fruit cup appetizer for kids, and even just eating the cowboy beans, corn on the cob, and cornbread, it's the healthiest option. They can take their chocolate chip cookies to go and share our desserts.

Animal Kingdom lunch will probably be at Yak & Yeti Counter Service. Please jump in here if you don't recommend it! Offer me other ideas and I may change my mind!

I think I'd get the Honey Chicken and DH would get the Kung Pao Beef. I'm thinking of using snack credits to share a fried rice and egg rolls too. Maybe Frozen Lemonade or Mini Mango Pie for dessert? If Mango Pie is yucky--I'll get chocolate cake. What do you think? I haven't read enough about these options! The kids will probably get chicken bites and applesauce and fried rice. Actually, maybe we'll swing by Harambe Fruit Market and use snack credits to pick up fruit to be the main part of the kids lunch. They could share my chicken as well! I think they'd like that better.

Snacks we may try at Animal Kingdom:
Harambe Fruit Market:
Fruit Cup
Watermelon
Bowl of Grapes
Bowl of Pineapple
Dino-bite Snacks:
Old-Fashioned Hot Fudge Sundae
Hand-Scooped Milk Shake
Float
Churros
Safari Popcorn/Safari Pretzel:
Popcorn
Jalepeno Cream Cheese Pretzel
Soft Pretzel

Next Up:
Counter Service at Cosmic Rays
Cinderella's Royal Table Dinner

I'm looking for recommendations! Feel free to chime in...:rolleyes1 Meanwhile, I'm off to the main restaurant board for some advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter