1st BWV Negative-Hallways

marathonmommy said:
Well, I was traveling with a 2 year old, a four year old, and a five year old.

I explained that it was unbearable AFTER a long night (and day at the park) or wanting to "run down to the gift shop". I was exaggerating a bit. Also, don't know what stage of life you are in right now, but traveling with 3 kids at the age of 5 or under can be a handful and being close to the elevator is helpful.

We bought BWV when my kids were 6m, 3,4 and 5 so I know what your refering to about kids. Other then that I disagree. My favorite rooms at BWV are standard room at the end of the hallway. Granted I prefer to be on the 1st floor but we managed just fine kids and stroller for many years even when we weren't on the 1st floor. We just used the stairs. My DH and I both were capable of toteing our double stroller up or down the stairs no problem. But the ease of getting to the walk way to MGM or to the bus stop from the end of the hallway of the standard view rooms is great. Down the stairs and out the back to for a straight shot to MGM. Down the stairs and a few feet to a side door that has a sidewalk that leads directly to the bus stop.

My kids are now 9, 12, 13, 14 so I've done BWV for 8+ years with toddlers to teens and the end of the hallway are still my favorite. Funny thing is I find it is easier and easier to get my request due to the fact that so many owners loath the end of the hall....

Donna said:
I have a funny feeling :teeth: that those that don't mind those long hall walks at the end of a long day in the parks do NOT have kids. Until you've walked a mile, or 5 or 6 in disney's case (no pun intended lol) in our shoes, it's kind of hard to judge!
I'll take that short walk from the OKW parking space to my door any day!!! :lmao:

Like I mentioned above I have walked your shoes and I really have always prefered the end of the hallway. Much better access to everything except the lobby and I really don't spend that much time in the lobby.

Yes, the drunks are too loud, the hallways are too long, the bus routes are bad, the clown is scary and those darn parks are too close.

Of course, when I was a kid and actually went to the boardwalks at Atlantic City/Wildwood/Seaside Heights we had to deal with drunks, no public transportation, and distant amusement piers. Can't say I remember any scary clowns, but there were some (large) folks in (teeny-tiny) bathing suits that I suspect scarred me for life.

dianeschlicht said:
I think we should dedicate this thread to the memory of Richyams! ;)

Diane, we'd have to add the fact that the BWVs are so small that you can sit on your tiny balcony and reach into the refrigerator for a cold drink without leaving your chair.

In fond memory of Rich.

Deb & Bill said:
Diane, we'd have to add the fact that the BWVs are so small that you can sit on your tiny balcony and reach into the refrigerator for a cold drink without leaving your chair.

In fond memory of Rich.
And didn't he say something about feeling like rats in a maze when you try to navigate those hallways? But on the plus side, he said, you do "redefine familly togetherness" staying in BWV and "the glass is very clear" (he wanted to say something positive. I wish I knew how to access that post-what a classic!

bicker said:
It's sort of like what my mother used to tell me, "If that's the biggest problem you have to complain about...." :)
My father had one saying, too: "I used to cry 'cause I had no shoes, 'til I met a man who had no feet"....
bicker said:
Seriously, there is so much that is great about the BoardWalk, that the long hallways don't really have a very significant impact on most folks' ability to utterly enjoy their vacations there.
Well, I'm glad that you speak for the majority.... ;)

DrTomorrow said:
My father had one saying, too: "I used to cry 'cause I had no shoes, 'til I met a man who had no feet"....
Well, I'm glad that you speak for the majority.... ;)

Although I shouldn't really care what other DISers think about my posts :rolleyes1 , I hope my OP was clear that I love the BWV and don't want to stay anywhere else. The hallways certainly did not RUIN my vacation! I simply wrote of my experience and asked my fellow DVC friends if one can request being closer to the elveator.

I want it to go on record that I LOVE BWV! :cheer2:

I had a first floor room that was about three rooms from the end in January. It took me a while to find the room because I didn't realize I'd have to go outside to get there. The hallway was very long, but I did find the back door on the side facing the Swan and Dolphin, which made the trip back to my room from Jellyrolls at 2:00 a.m. very easy ;)

marathonmommy said:
Although I shouldn't really care what other DISers think about my posts :rolleyes1 , I hope my OP was clear that I love the BWV and don't want to stay anywhere else. The hallways certainly did not RUIN my vacation! I simply wrote of my experience and asked my fellow DVC friends if one can request being closer to the elveator.

I want it to go on record that I LOVE BWV! :cheer2:

We were far at the end of the hallway as well. My kids are older so it wasn't so bad. BUT I can certainly see how if they were younger it would have been difficult after a LONG day in the parks.

I hear ya!

Our first stay at AKL we had a beautiful view of the animals!!! we were the last room at the furthest point from EVERYTHING!!!!! it was a 10-15 minute walk to the pool!!! a few times we forgot our refillable mugs in the room, so instead of hiking back we bought new ones!!!! we wnt home with about 8 mugs between the 2 of us!!! lol

Next time we do AKL it will be parking lot or pool view, this way at the end of a long day at Epcot, we dont have that long walk!!!

I think I lost 10 pounds in those 2 weeks!!!

Top floor, about 3 villas from the MGM end doorway. It was about 227 steps if I recall correctly. After about 3 treks down that hallway, I started counting steps to amuse myself. My poor dad has vertigo, and has trouble with balance at the end of the day. You should have seen him bouncing off the walls, asking if there was a shuttle to our villa!!!
But, I have stayed at a lot of other resorts where the walk is very similar. Our walk at the Polynesian, to Tokelau from the main bldg was long. Same with POR when we were on the hind side of the resort. The outer bldgs at the values are a long haul. At BCV we had about a third less of a walk but our room was one of those that was reasonably close to the elevators.
For some reason, BWV seems to get the most complaint. Yes, those hallways are long, and sometimes convoluted....especially after a long day in the parks. All we can do is ask for a room close to the elevators. Man, Richyams would have loved this thread!!!!

paults says : overall It's funny how some people will complain about the long AC halls at BWV but have no problem walking from last AC rooms at VWL or BCV or walking from the buildings a SSR or OKW to HH . Sure you could take the internal bus to HH if you don't mind waiting in the heat for it.
I agree....and in the reverse as well. ;) And, yes, you could take the internal bus at OKW or any bus going out because the last stop is HH before exiting the park. People from BWV/BCV talk about the long walks at OKW, for instance, (at times, exagerating walks to over 20 min from some areas). Yet people think nothing of walking 20 min to MGM from BWV, but a 5 min walk to the main pool is considered hazerdous at OKW ! :rotfl: Issues such as that walks at BWV are in AC hallways.....vs walking outdoors at OKW. But at OKW one takes an air conditioned bus to Epcot or MGM vs walking 10-20 min to those parks in blazing sun/heat from BWV ? I just don't see the arguments here. All resorts have their pros and cons. Some people see only what they want to see. So I agree paults....it is funny. :)

In one thread there was discussion about dining at the GF and using the self parking lot across the street vs valet. Someone stated, though it wasn't that close, they didn't mind the walk. Yet walking seems to always be an issue at OKW here on these boards. It's just funny to see the contradictions here and there.

To the OP.....I stayed in #4131 (overlooking the valet parking lot) at BWV once and we were maybe 4 doors from the end of the hallway. I agree, it was a long walk to the elevator and then the pool......and even longer to the parks. We almost got lost a couple times because at one point the hallway branches off in two directions. My husband kept kidding we should leave a trail of bread crumbs to find our way back ;)

But I just take all this walking with a grain of salt. I just think that's what a WDW vacation is going to involve. The amount of walking is going to get you one way or another. I agree with small kids/strollers (and elderly) it can be more difficult. We used to travel with my mil before she passed away in '04. She loved WDW. But walking took a toll on her during her final years due to chemo/radiation treatments. She felt it was too much walking to Epcot from BWV (and the stairs were not an option for her either). She was practically exhausted by the time we hit International Gateway---and she refused to use a wheelchair. What seems like a perk to some, may not work for others. Some people may find the end of the hallway, private & quiet (which it was). We didn't get a whole lot of traffic going past our door. I would think you could request "close to elevators", but it would be just that, a request. Nothing is guaranteed. Hopefully your next trip to BWV will be much closer to the elevators. As your kids get older, it will be much less of an issue for you I'm sure. Continue to enjoy your stays at BWV.......

But, I have stayed at a lot of other resorts where the walk is very similar. Our walk at the Polynesian, to Tokelau from the main bldg was long. Same with POR when we were on the hind side of the resort. The outer bldgs at the values are a long haul.
Agreed goofy4tink :thumbsup2 Like I said, I think the walking is going to get you one way or another regardless of where you stay. WDW is predominately a walking vacation.

Special THANK YOU to CASKBILL for posting FACTUAL information about the distances....what people do with those facts is there business...but the people who say it is a mile walk down the halls? Let's see they were only off by like 800%....

...and anyone who takes 5 minutes to get from the farthest point in BWV to the pool either needs a wheelchair or a new watch...

We just stayed in Room 1121--the location is a std view DEDICATED 1BR--it is at the end of the building before it turns back towards the canal...so we would leave our room and walk straight out to the quiet pool or were exactly 200 paces to the edge of the main pool. The walk to the lobby at our usual pace (WITH KIDS) was 2 minutes. If we turned left out our door we were a few feet from the exit door that led to the path directly to the bus stop--we could see the bus stop from our window and know what bus we just missed...when we walked to MGM one morning we timed it--and took a very leisurely stroll...time from the room door closing to standing in line for turnstiles-exactly 15 minutes....my kids and wife liked the walk so much that at the end of the day they PREFERRED walking back to the resort rather than taking the boat! Of course we use Tour guid Mike so we do everything we want without much line standing or running back and forth in the parks....

My "gripe" about this room is not it's location----as a dedicated 1BR there are differences...there is no closet in the front hall. it is slightly smaller than other BWV 1BR--more like the smaller BCV rooms--with no connecting door from living room to the studio needed they made these rooms smaller...this minor difference was more than offset by the convenience to Community Hall, the Bus stops and the tennis courts (and the parking lot)--with DME there are plenty of spaces at the BW now...

...I hear there is a 1BR at the other end of the BW that has the kitchen all along one wall---anybody have pictures of that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter