1st BWV Negative-Hallways

MMommy I wasn't disagreeing , I don't mind the hallways when I'm in charge of me alone , but add the kids and it seems like they go forever especially when you'r pushing one and the other insist on running ahead not paying attention and either bumping into someone or veering off in wrong direction.

:sunny:

Boston5602 said:
MMommy I wasn't disagreeing , I don't mind the hallways when I'm in charge of me alone , but add the kids and it seems like they go forever especially when you'r pushing one and the other insist on running ahead not paying attention and either bumping into someone or veering off in wrong direction.

:sunny:
ditto . . .

marathonmommy said:
Again . . . it more has to do with tired toddlers, but I will I admit I was beat, too.

And I will not "bicker" with bicker. I know from reading the boards that no one can "win" a debate here. If my name, marathonmommy, means I (or my kids) can't be tired at the end of the day, imagine having a different point of view than someone with the name "bicker" . . .

I have a funny feeling :teeth: that those that don't mind those long hall walks at the end of a long day in the parks do NOT have kids. Until you've walked a mile, or 5 or 6 in disney's case (no pun intended lol) in our shoes, it's kind of hard to judge!
I'll take that short walk from the OKW parking space to my door any day!!! :lmao:

I agree wholeheartedly... For all you BWV Lovers out there I look at it this way.. just more room for you all! I will NEVER stay at the BW again... I LOVE the area.. and the theming.. but I just can't get into the hotel... Well.. unless I ever book one of those Fantastic cottages in the back.. now those are Adorable! :) To each his own... I tend to travel solo.. so those long walks down the hallway alone at night.. not so much fun for me... I don't know who designed that..I mean, what would it have taken to put elevators somewhere else along the trek? I don't get it... Oh well...

kathy

Valentine said:
I agree wholeheartedly... For all you BWV Lovers out there I look at it this way.. just more room for you all! I will NEVER stay at the BW again... I LOVE the area.. and the theming.. but I just can't get into the hotel... Well.. unless I ever book one of those Fantastic cottages in the back.. now those are Adorable! :) To each his own... I tend to travel solo.. so those long walks down the hallway alone at night.. not so much fun for me... I don't know who designed that..I mean, what would it have taken to put elevators somewhere else along the trek? I don't get it... Oh well...

kathy

I thought I would love BWV but after 5 days doing the Disney Death March and our room in outer Mongolia I said never again. ESPECIALLY after they accidently deactivated our room keys and we did rock paper scissors to see who got to trudge to the front desk.

You're right, I don't have kids. I'm sure it's difficult getting around with 3 preschoolers. But I think it's exagerated in most cases (not including young children, seniors or those with disabilities). You don't hear complaints that it's too far to walk down Main Street to get to the castle (or to get out at the end of the day). I've stayed at other resorts with long walks. For example, I stayed at CBR in the Barbados section, it was pretty far to the food court, probably longer than the BWV hall. I think the fact that it's indoors at BWV makes it seem longer.

Regarding the design, the question was brought up at the DVC Annual Meeting that I attended a few years ago. They said they could not do anything about it but would keep it in mind for future resorts (this was before BCV was built, where they did put more elevators in).

DebbieB said:
You're right, I don't have kids. I'm sure it's difficult getting around with 3 preschoolers. But I think it's exagerated in most cases (not including young children, seniors or those with disabilities). You don't hear complaints that it's too far to walk down Main Street to get to the castle (or to get out at the end of the day). I've stayed at other resorts with long walks. For example, I stayed at CBR in the Barbados section, it was pretty far to the food court, probably longer than the BWV hall. I think the fact that it's indoors at BWV makes it seem longer...

It's the tunnel effect. Kind of claustrophobic.

I have a funny feeling :teeth: that those that don't mind those long hall walks at the end of a long day in the parks do NOT have kids.
I think it may have more to do with the kids. These two little characters, for instance ...
BoardWalk-Surrey-1.JPG

... were still bounding down the halls after a long day at the parks, especially the crafty-looking little one on the right. His energy is INFECTIOUS!

I measured the hallways several years ago and did a posting, but it was lost as part of the changeover to the new servers. I do recall the length from the furthest room to the front doors just past checkin was something around 825 feet. I don't recall the distance to the elevators.

Anyway, 825 feet is just short of 3 football fields, or a little less than 0.16 miles.

At an average walking pace of 2.5mph, it's approximately a 3-min, 45 sec. walk. At a faster walk of 3 mph, it's about 3 minutes & 7 seconds, and a lower pace (possibly with kids, of 2 mph, it's about 4-min; 41 seconds.

Note the above is furnished as information only. Personally I don't have a problem, and since our 'kids' (now adults) don't go with us, we can easily use the stairs, and being at the back end makes the walk to MGM shorter.

marathonmommy

When traveling with small children (one in a stroller), the elevator is essential. After a long night, or simply wanting to "run down to the gift shop", this trek was unbearable!

I do agree that with young ones it could be a problem.

don't get me wrong , we love OKW but Imagine this wanting to go to the gift shop at OKW ( from some buildings you need to get in car or bus ,drive there and back and climb steps to room unless your on 1st fl. That's more time than walking in a AC hall at BWV) :thumbsup2

overall It's funny how some people will complain about the long AC halls at BWV but have no problem walking from last AC rooms at VWL or BCV or walking from the buildings a SSR or OKW to HH . Sure you could take the internal bus to HH if you don't mind waiting in the heat for it.
To me they all equal out. We love them all. We own at BWV and have had those end rooms and if we're walking in the parks all day then walking to the room is just the same IMO

but I hear DVC is putting in these little things :moped: to help us to our rooms :moped: :rotfl:

Even though there are a lot of people complaining about these long halls :confused3 why is it that it's hard to get a room there. :grouphug:

It's sort of like what my mother used to tell me, "If that's the biggest problem you have to complain about...." :) Seriously, there is so much that is great about the BoardWalk, that the long hallways don't really have a very significant impact on most folks' ability to utterly enjoy their vacations there.

bicker said:
It's sort of like what my mother used to tell me, "If that's the biggest problem you have to complain about...." :) Seriously, there is so much that is great about the BoardWalk, that the long hallways don't really have a very significant impact on most folks' ability to utterly enjoy their vacations there.

No but it IS a consideration. For us we had two studios and they were at polar opposites and the deactivation of our room key then our room over the Brewery and the drunks screeching - all of this showed us BWV is not for us. Were their positives ABSOLUTELY my son loved the poolslide.

The lack of counter service was a downer for us as well. But did all of this ruin our vacation NO WAY...if BWV was the only resort available would I still go ABSOLUTELY but honestly I would rather stay elsewhere.

Honestly any complaints about ANY of the DVC resorts are really just people's opinion they ALL are fantastic places to stay and each one has it's own charm.

I figure BWV lovers should be thrilled to have people like me owning DVC since I will not be taking one of their rooms again. :cool1:

That's true. :) And there is a lot of competition for BWV, BCV and VWL rooms these days. They're consistently the hardest to get reservations at, after the 7 months point.

bicker said:
That's true. :) And there is a lot of competition for BWV, BCV and VWL rooms these days. They're consistently the hardest to get reservations at, after the 7 months point.

Thats true, but aren't they also the smallest of the on site DVCs? I don't mean room size, that is true too...i am talking about number of rooms the resort has. I totally agree long hallways would never ruin a vacation; i would just rather stay somewhere else. I had a 2 br once at BW that was in deplorable condition and even that did not ruin my vacation. I've since stayed with friends and had great rooms and great views that i really enjoyed. Those halls aren't so long when staying on your friend's points! :lmao:
PS: Bicker: nice looking family you have there!

Slakk said:
then our room over the Brewery and the drunks screeching - all of this showed us BWV is not for us. :cool1:

Hey, sorry about that..... We couldn't find our room after Jellyrolls closed and we were screeching so somebody would come and help us find our way down the hallways :rotfl2:

twotoohappy said:
Hey, sorry about that..... We couldn't find our room after Jellyrolls closed and we were screeching so somebody would come and help us find our way down the hallways :rotfl2:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

twotoohappy said:

AHA!!! So it was you screaming PHILLIP WOOOOOOOOO for an hour.... :rotfl2:

Slakk said:
AHA!!! So it was you screaming PHILLIP WOOOOOOOOO for an hour.... :rotfl2:

Ok, so we'll be at BWV for Memorial Day weekend for my birthday, so if you hear some loud screaming at closing time...... Please help us find our way home :rotfl2:

I think we should dedicate this thread to the memory of Richyams! ;)

Donna said:
I have a funny feeling :teeth: that those that don't mind those long hall walks at the end of a long day in the parks do NOT have kids. Until you've walked a mile, or 5 or 6 in disney's case (no pun intended lol) in our shoes, it's kind of hard to judge!
I'll take that short walk from the OKW parking space to my door any day!!! :lmao:

I have kids. Don't mind the walk.

We had a room at the AKL where the walk from the room to Boma where you had to pack a lunch. Had one at WL once where a snack would have been helpful. Disney resorts are large and don't tend to be very tall - which makes for long hallways.

Parking outside the door is great - if you have a car. If not, the wait for the bus or walk to Turtle Pond can be as much of a pain as the BWV hallways.

At an average walking pace of 2.5mph, it's approximately a 3-min, 45 sec. walk. At a faster walk of 3 mph, it's about 3 minutes & 7 seconds, and a lower pace (possibly with kids, of 2 mph, it's about 4-min; 41 seconds.

Or at the sprint you do when chasing the same kids, probably about 2 minutes.

It is really easy to misjudge your remaining energy, but I don't see why the hallways get the brunt of the blame. Well, I do, its the last place you are walking before you get to sit and rest. We've done it leaving Epcot to catch the bus out front - its a long walk from Italy to the front gates. Sometimes you need to stop for a minute, and sit down before continuing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter