17 year olds in adult areas and activities

You know, I'm usually pretty encouraging on these boards. But, maybe today I'm just a little cranky. So, I'm going to put it out there... It really does strike me as unfortunate that a lot of people tend to focus on what they can't do, rather than be thrilled with all of the many other wonderful things they can do. You're on a Disney Cruise, for heaven't sake. Go and have a good time. But, if age restrictions will be so much of an impact on your cruise experience that you're considering breaking the rules, then re-schedule for when the ages align with the desired activities.
It's amusing to see criticism on these boards of someone who is expressing some calm dismay over restrictions that will negatively impact the cruise experience of her 17 year-old, whereas on the contrary I've seen vitriolic rage expressed by certain posters over kids quietly walking through poorly-placed adult areas on the ship...lol.

The OP might not be able to cruise 1-2 months later. It might impact her high-schooler or college student's school schedule if she were to do so, or they might have family reasons for scheduling the trip at a certain time.

The impact of strict restrictions against mature teens is a valid concern. I understand that some people want DCL to hold a hard line against those under 18, and everyone has the right to their opinion, but not everyone feels the rules should be as strict as they are.

It's kind of like dress code policy. Some people (like me), want a strict dress code policy. Others want a lax policy. It's a matter of opinion either way, but there's nothing wrong in stating your opinion about it & expressing frustration if Disney's current policy is problematic to one's family. That's part of what these boards are for.

Last edited:
It's amusing to see criticism on these boards of someone who is expressing some calm dismay over restrictions that will negatively impact the cruise experience of her 17 year-old, whereas on the contrary I've seen vitriolic rage expressed by certain posters over kids quietly walking through poorly-placed adult areas on the ship...lol.

The OP might not be able to cruise 1-2 months later. It might impact her high-schooler or college student's school schedule if she were to do so, or they might have family reasons for scheduling the trip at a certain time.

The impact of strict restrictions against mature 17 year-olds is a valid concern. I understand that some people want DCL to hold a hard line against those under 18, and everyone has the right to their opinion, but not everyone feels the rules should be as strict as they are.

It's kind of like dress code policy. Some people (like me), want a strict dress code policy. Others want a lax policy. It's a matter of opinion either way, but there's nothing wrong in stating your opinion about it & expressing frustration if Disney's current policy is problematic to one's family. That's part of what these boards are for.

I completely agree. I would prefer a little flexibility in the age restrictions. My kid is a dancer and had even performed for Disney. Quite mature. On that Alaska cruise I referenced, they had a swing dancing class. Adults only. They didn't offer one for younger ages. We asked for some flexibility. None was granted. We went. They were begging for more people to come. Still wouldn't accept my kid though. I didn't get angry, but was disappointed. I realize that once you open the door, it's feels like it could be a free for all, but allowing for use of judgement on the part of the cast member for a kid who was appropriately dressed, accompanied by a parent and quite capable of keeping up, would go a long way.

Does Promenade on Wonder have the snacks and coffees found at Vista Café on Fantasy/Dream. My DD10 and I have made a habit of getting up before the others and going to get a coffee for me and snack for her. Was disappointed to see there is no Vista on the Wonder, but happy to read I can get a coffee at Promenade and not have to leave DD10 in the cabin. Will they have the snacks there, too?
They occasionally had croissants and some pastries, but no where near the selection in the Cove cafe.

I completely agree. I would prefer a little flexibility in the age restrictions. My kid is a dancer and had even performed for Disney. Quite mature. On that Alaska cruise I referenced, they had a swing dancing class. Adults only. They didn't offer one for younger ages. We asked for some flexibility. None was granted. We went. They were begging for more people to come. Still wouldn't accept my kid though. I didn't get angry, but was disappointed. I realize that once you open the door, it's feels like it could be a free for all, but allowing for use of judgement on the part of the cast member for a kid who was appropriately dressed, accompanied by a parent and quite capable of keeping up, would go a long way.

This is likely the core issue from Disney's perspective, honestly. As a former WDW cast member, I saw the same approach in several of their other policies elsewhere. The big one guests are likely to encounter directly is the rule against CM's embroidering any nicknames or titles onto merchandise -- you can only use real names in embroidery orders so that Disney is not in danger of accidentally putting something offensive on a product (like a "nickname" that turns out to be an inappropriate meme or something) and so that they're not in danger of appearing to confirm something that may or may not be true (like writing "Doctor ___" on something and the person displays it back home...but isn't a doctor). And there's zero leeway for CMs to use their judgment on this, which can be a little frustrating but which also makes a lot of sense from the company's perspective. By not allowing it at all they both avoid the appearance of favoritism and make sure that the CM's are not left on the hook if someone makes unreasonable demands -- the CM never has to explain that they've personally decided one thing is or isn't allowable; they can just point to the rule.

Think about it from the other direction. If a CM allows one mature sixteen- or seventeen-year-old into the dance class, but the next family comes up and the CM turns them away because the second family's teenager is a real immature pill, how well do you think that's going to go over with family number two? Cue yelling at guest services about how that other kid was allowed, but their perfectly wonderful child was callously turned away, etc., etc.

I don't actually disagree with you in principle. There are plenty of older teens who are perfectly well behaved and with whom I would not have a problem sharing a quiet adult space or adult class. It just very quickly becomes a very messy issue for Disney if they approach it on a case by case basis instead of keeping a firm rule about it.

The impact of strict restrictions against mature teens is a valid concern. I understand that some people want DCL to hold a hard line against those under 18, and everyone has the right to their opinion, but not everyone feels the rules should be as strict as they are.

With 5 high school kids going all with different schedules this is the only week in the summer that worked. We have cruised in the winter during the break and didn’t care for the cool water in the Bahamas/Castaway Cay. Pulling my girls out of school isn’t an option. Didn’t want to create a big deal out of it just simply wanted to know options or thoughts

This is likely the core issue from Disney's perspective, honestly. As a former WDW cast member, I saw the same approach in several of their other policies elsewhere. The big one guests are likely to encounter directly is the rule against CM's embroidering any nicknames or titles onto merchandise -- you can only use real names in embroidery orders so that Disney is not in danger of accidentally putting something offensive on a product (like a "nickname" that turns out to be an inappropriate meme or something) and so that they're not in danger of appearing to confirm something that may or may not be true (like writing "Doctor ___" on something and the person displays it back home...but isn't a doctor). And there's zero leeway for CMs to use their judgment on this, which can be a little frustrating but which also makes a lot of sense from the company's perspective. By not allowing it at all they both avoid the appearance of favoritism and make sure that the CM's are not left on the hook if someone makes unreasonable demands -- the CM never has to explain that they've personally decided one thing is or isn't allowable; they can just point to the rule.

Think about it from the other direction. If a CM allows one mature sixteen- or seventeen-year-old into the dance class, but the next family comes up and the CM turns them away because the second family's teenager is a real immature pill, how well do you think that's going to go over with family number two? Cue yelling at guest services about how that other kid was allowed, but their perfectly wonderful child was callously turned away, etc., etc.

I don't actually disagree with you in principle. There are plenty of older teens who are perfectly well behaved and with whom I would not have a problem sharing a quiet adult space or adult class. It just very quickly becomes a very messy issue for Disney if they approach it on a case by case basis instead of keeping a firm rule about it.
You said this so well. It's exactly what I was thinking (minus being a CM), put very eloquently.

With 5 high school kids going all with different schedules this is the only week in the summer that worked. We have cruised in the winter during the break and didn’t care for the cool water in the Bahamas/Castaway Cay. Pulling my girls out of school isn’t an option. Didn’t want to create a big deal out of it just simply wanted to know options or thoughts

I don't think you ever said anything to imply that you wanted to break the rules, and I hope that I haven't personally contributed to you feeling like this has become a big ordeal or like you're under attack for anything. I apologize if I have. I think it just stirred up a bit of back-and-forth between others due to various takes on the issue.

My DD will be 17 at the time of sailing in July. Is she allowed to be in the Cove cafe, Adult Anyone Can Cook, any day time adult activities or the Spa/Rainforest room? We sailed on the Fantasy 5 years ago, she did a spa treatment with me. My girls got bored in the Vibe half way through the cruise, they just felt the activities were repetitive.

If carded, she can simply tell the cast member that she identifies as an 18 year old. That should solve the problem straight away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter