17 year olds in adult areas and activities

To be honest, if my child was just one or two months away from turning 18, I'd probably re-schedule our cruise until after their birthday rather than have them upset about missing the 18+ areas.
We gave it some thought, but my daughter wants to spend time with cousins and they won’t be 18 until 4 months after. Vacay is more about my 70yr old mom and 90 yr old Aunt. We tried talking my mom into RCL, my girls they like action and adventure, thrills. Haven’t been on DCL since they were 12

You know, I'm usually pretty encouraging on these boards. But, maybe today I'm just a little cranky. So, I'm going to put it out there... It really does strike me as unfortunate that a lot of people tend to focus on what they can't do, rather than be thrilled with all of the many other wonderful things they can do. You're on a Disney Cruise, for heaven't sake. Go and have a good time. But, if age restrictions will be so much of an impact on your cruise experience that you're considering breaking the rules, then re-schedule for when the ages align with the desired activities.

My girls are 5 years older then last time on DCL, they look for more action and thrill not sure it can be offered on
My son was 17 on our last cruise and he spent little time in Vibe and spent most of his time with his 19 year old sister. (Younger sister 14 loved Vibe and was never seen). They would go to the movies, or to trivia in areas that were open to all ages during the day, to the early comedy show in the clubs, etc. They were able to find lots of fun things to do together without bending the 18 and up only rules.
i dont want them to bend rules by any means. They like thrill, action and adventure..not sure if DCL can deliver on that part. They also want rainforest room too

My apologies not suggesting you or anyone else was intending to bend the rules, simply trying to point out that there are lots of things your under 18 and over 18 daughters can do together for fun on board.
As for thrills action and adventure that's what port stops and excursions are for.

When we cruised in 2016 my son was 2 1/2 months short of 18. I never even brought up the adult stuff to him, but really talked up Vibe and booked him a teen excursion on Castaway Cay. He loved Vibe and we didn't see much of him. Just the other day I watched a youtube copy of the "Zombified" movie they made on our cruise. Unfortunately the excursion was canceled because we had monsoon rains on our CC day, but as soon as we were back on the ship he showered and went back to Vibe.

Do Vista Cafe and Cove Cafe have the same products? Same quality? I have a 16 yo who loves a good cup of coffee and had thought I would be going to Cove Cafe to get her coffee but if Vista is the same thing that would be great. (On the Fantasy)

Do Vista Cafe and Cove Cafe have the same products? Same quality? I have a 16 yo who loves a good cup of coffee and had thought I would be going to Cove Cafe to get her coffee but if Vista is the same thing that would be great. (On the Fantasy)

I never went to Cove for coffee, but did get a frap from Vista. Vista has made to order drinks, similar to Starbucks, was good enough for me.

Does Promenade on Wonder have the snacks and coffees found at Vista Café on Fantasy/Dream. My DD10 and I have made a habit of getting up before the others and going to get a coffee for me and snack for her. Was disappointed to see there is no Vista on the Wonder, but happy to read I can get a coffee at Promenade and not have to leave DD10 in the cabin. Will they have the snacks there, too?

It has a code which indicates if you are under 18, 18-20, or 21+.

I was wondering why I never got carded! Guess I did get carded, every time. I'd thought maybe it popped up on their screen when they went to charge it to your account (and with the photo they take of you at check-in, I do wonder if scanning your KTTW also pulls up your picture, versus the crew members just trusting that you haven't swapped your KTTW with someone else's).

My apologies not suggesting you or anyone else was intending to bend the rules, simply trying to point out that there are lots of things your under 18 and over 18 daughters can do together for fun on board.
As for thrills action and adventure that's what port stops and excursions are for.
It’s ok I didn’t take it that way ;)

Does Promenade on Wonder have the snacks and coffees found at Vista Café on Fantasy/Dream. My DD10 and I have made a habit of getting up before the others and going to get a coffee for me and snack for her. Was disappointed to see there is no Vista on the Wonder, but happy to read I can get a coffee at Promenade and not have to leave DD10 in the cabin. Will they have the snacks there, too?
In the morning they sometimes have croissants and morning tugboats (Its a yogurt drink). In the evenings they sometimes have chips and salsa, but it is hit and miss.

I can vouch for the carding. I was carded once at the adult pool area and once while sitting in Cove. They did it very politely and discreetly and apologized. I was very glad they tried to keep it as adult only as possible.

In the morning they sometimes have croissants and morning tugboats (Its a yogurt drink). In the evenings they sometimes have chips and salsa, but it is hit and miss.

Thanks - she would be happy with a croissant. Glad we will have this to look forward to.

Thanks - she would be happy with a croissant. Glad we will have this to look forward to.

In January on the Wonder they had a few different types of Danish out at the Promenade Lounge in the am. They were on a cart in between the bar and the stage.

And to the poster who wanted to know where Vista Café was.....it is on Deck 4 midship....just past the couches and onboard booking desk.

Summary

A small bar tucked into a corner of Deck 4 midship, Vista Café serves everything from coffee and complimentary pastries in the morning, to beer, wine, cocktails and light snacks at night. With only four seats at the bar, Vista Café isn’t the place for large groups. It’s most useful as a place for a family to get snacks and a drink on their wait to one of the day’s activities on decks 3 or 4.

Comparing the Ships

A Vista Café can be found on both the Fantasy and Dream, but not the Magic or Wonder. Both Cafés offer the same menu and are about the same size. The marble floor here in the Fantasy’s version is a bit bigger than the Dream’s, making the Fantasy’s Vista Café seem more like an intentional design, rather than a bar fit into an underutilized corner.

MJ

Yep. She was kind of convincing though, like she was really telling a good story about how she gets carded all the time and how she really is of age. But I didn't see any proof via the KTTW so the CMs must hear it all the time. She really had me going LOL, I have to give it to the CM for pressing for the KTTW.

Wow I am surprised she was asked. She must have looked very young. My son is 17 and goes and sits by the adult pool all the time and never once was asked in our past 2 cruises. I would always tell him they are going to ask him for his kttw card but they never did. He was always there by himself too. I guess my “baby” doesn’t look young anymore! :)

Wow I am surprised she was asked. She must have looked very young. My son is 17 and goes and sits by the adult pool all the time and never once was asked in our past 2 cruises. I would always tell him they are going to ask him for his kttw card but they never did. He was always there by himself too. I guess my “baby” doesn’t look young anymore! :)
Even if he isn't carded, you didn't say anything to him about being there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter