12 Months of Medals: My 2015 (And Beyond!) Running Challenge

"I know in 2016, we're definitely doing NOLA and probably San Diego as well. I think I'm going to scale back on local races and instead focus on "destination" races. Maybe I'll come to Chicago, too!!"

If you do come to Chicago, you will get to see very pretty scenery as I believe it is partially ran along the lake front and the sail boats should be out in full force. Of course Chicago weather is the most finicky thing in the world. So it may be 60 degrees or 1000??

Training Talk: DLH Week 9, W&D Week -2ish, Dopey Week 0
Weekly guide to my training!

Happy July, y'all!!

Sorry I've been absent! Between traveling to New England for a wedding and handling a sick dog AND a sick husband (notice the priority here), I've been having to play catch-up on both my Internet time AND my training time.

The good? The weather in Boston and New Hampshire was AMAZING. Like. Amazing.
The bad? Coming back to 100-degree weather has thrown me for quite a curve. My run yesterday was one of my worst and I thought I was going to die. Ended up walking nearly the last half-mile because I just felt like I was going to fall apart. Maybe I shouldn't have gone running at 5:30 p.m. outside, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Right?

Anyway - let's get to the numbers and get this party started!

The Countdown: 63 Days until Disneyland; 127 Days until Wine & Dine; 188 Days until Dopey

This Week's Training Plan:
While I'm technically training and prepping to train for both the Disneyland Half and the Wine & Dine Half, the ultimate goal is Dopey. Each week, I will post my scheduled training as dictated by a hybrid Dopey Training schedule I've created combining elements of Hal Higdon's Dopey Training and Jeff Galloway's Dopey Plan.
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3 miles (+ 3 miles)
Wednesday: 3 miles (+3 miles)
Thursday: 3 miles (+3 miles)
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 3 miles (CRC 4th of July 5K)
Sunday: 15 miles bike (Tour de Fort Worth Opening Ride)
Notes: The Galloway Dopey plan began this week. As I've basically been on hybrid half-marathon training since March, I've cobbled together my own little training plan - which essentially means I'm calling this week Dopey Week 0. I'll attach my plan to this post as a PDF, if any of y'all are curious about it. You'll notice that my real Dopey training (ie. distance conditioning and addition) doesn't start until the week of the Disneyland Half Marathon. This is designed to be in-line with the Hal Higdon Dopey plan. I've had to make slight adjustments to his plan based on currently scheduled races and travel. For example, the first two and last two days of any highlighted purple section (which means time in Florida), will be driving time from Texas to Florida).

This week is spent largely trying to acclimate myself to the heat for running. I will do 3 miles outside every day, combined with 3 miles of something else (either indoors on the treadmill, riding my bike or swimming). This will likely be time spent on my bike as I prep for my first "long" bike ride on Sunday!

Recipe of the Week:
During the week, the husband and I try to eat lean protein and vegetables, with a minimal amount of carbs and little-to-no processed food. Each week, I'll highlight a recipe that I made and enjoyed that meets that criteria.

Cheeseburger Salad
OK. This is not really a "recipe", but it's more of an option for lighter eating on grillin' holidays like 4th of July.

I love me a good cheeseburger, but I do not love the fats and calories associated with it - I'm talking about you, bun, and your friends ketchup and mayo!

I've found that grilling a patty of lean ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken, if you're feeling fancy), and then serving it over a bed of lettuce with some favorite vegetables (for me, it's tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and pickles ... yes, pickles! Try it!) more than satisfies my craving for a burger. Sometimes I'll do a slice/small handful of cheese, but I usually put the warm patty straight on the salad after I'm done grilling it. The juices from the meat are enough seasoning where I don't even need salad dressing!

What's New?
Not a whole lot. I've finalized the rest of my race schedule for 2015, with the only remaining question being a 10K+5K challenge at a local brewery a week or so before Disneyland. Ideally, I would have another 10K for time before close of W&D Proof of Time ... but I'm not worried about it. By the time W&D rolls around, Proof of Time for Dopey will be closed and I'll just be ready to have some fun and (hopefully) get my Coast to Coast medal!

I guess the "new" thing - which is really new to y'all, but not so much to me - is the beginning of my Official Training Plan. Like I mentioned above, I've attached it here as a PDF if anyone is curious to see it. Because of travel, the last few weeks of the plan are going to be tough - but doable. At least I think! And, honestly, I have to be extremely realistic with myself - because I know myself. Two trips to New Orleans (one with bestie couple friends, and one for a joint bachelor-bachelorette party) - sure, I could schedule runs. But I know they just won't happen. I'm hoping the 10+ miles we usually put in walking/biking NOLA a day will help keep my training in line. But at least I have enough time after those trips to push forward and get back on track.

In other post-Dopey news, Princess weekend opened up for pre-registration this week! I'm so excited to see so many people get in on early registration. Looking forward to open registration on July 14th. Currently, my plan is to go for the GSC - coupled with RnR NOLA the following weekend, but y'all know me and things could easily change in a heartbeat.

This Week's Motivation/Inspiration:
With Seconds to Spare, 70-Year-Old Woman Finishes 100-Mile Endurance Race

This Week's Question:
If you could run ANY race (money and possible qualifying standards being moot), which ONE race would you run and why?

Attachments

• Dopey.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
Hey, just found this awesome training journal. Only got through the first few pages so far, but looking forward to catching up on everything. Great goal for 2015!!! Can't wait to read more.

Thanks! It's mostly my inane ramblings, but it helps get a lot of things out of my brain as I train to improve and prepare for upcoming races!

If you do come to Chicago, you will get to see very pretty scenery as I believe it is partially ran along the lake front and the sail boats should be out in full force. Of course Chicago weather is the most finicky thing in the world. So it may be 60 degrees or 1000??

We haven't been to Chicago in a few years, so this would be a great excuse for a visit! IF ONLY it happened at the same time as Taste of Chicago ... then I would totally be in heaven! Bling + Baseball + All the Foods = YES, PLEASE.

This Week's Question:
If you could run ANY race (money and possible qualifying standards being moot), which ONE race would you run and why?

Disneyland Half 2020
It was the "long" race I ever actually really wanted to run. It was supposed to be my first half, but my schedule kinda got accelerated by 4 years.
I don't know where I'll be in my life by 2020 and if running the half marathon will be an option for me.
But it's still my dream race ... for now at least.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3 miles (+ 3 miles)
Wednesday: 3 miles (+3 miles)
Thursday: 3 miles (+3 miles)
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 3 miles (CRC 4th of July 5K)
Sunday: 15 miles bike (Tour de Fort Worth Opening Ride

what are the + miles in parentheses? just curious...

For me its gotta be Boston...even though I havn't run my first marathon yet, There is just so much history and other things associated with that race (even before the bombing) that ever since I became a runner its been a dream, sadly that's probably all it will ever be, Im not fast enough to qualify and even if I were the expense would likely be to great for it to happen but hey maybe one day if I win the lottery and can hire a personal running coach to make me fast enough it could happen...LOL...Never say never right?

what are the + miles in parentheses? just curious...

For me its gotta be Boston...even though I havn't run my first marathon yet, There is just so much history and other things associated with that race (even before the bombing) that ever since I became a runner its been a dream, sadly that's probably all it will ever be, Im not fast enough to qualify and even if I were the expense would likely be to great for it to happen but hey maybe one day if I win the lottery and can hire a personal running coach to make me fast enough it could happen...LOL...Never say never right?

Ahh! I knew I missed something.

So, in general, the + miles mean an extra workout (swimming or treadmill run) in an equivalent distance. I'm trying to acclimate to heat, while still working on distance and also continuing to condition. Since I'm not a morning person, and since my immediate neighborhood is not safe for me to run long distance after 9 p.m. and the nearby trail is not lit, this is basically what I have to do for right now. The first distance HAS to be done outside. The plus is done at the gym. In a perfect world, I will ride my bike from my neighborhood to the gym (about two miles roundtrip) to really get a full workout.

This Week's Question:

Le Marathon du Medoc in Bordeaux. Crazy costumes, wine at every water stop, champagne and oysters, cheese, foie gras, steak, ice cream - what's not to like? In addition to the rolling party along the way, there are also huge parties and dinners the nights before and after the race.

Le Marathon du Medoc in Bordeaux. Crazy costumes, wine at every water stop, champagne and oysters, cheese, foie gras, steak, ice cream - what's not to like? In addition to the rolling party along the way, there are also huge parties and dinners the nights before and after the race.

And here I was ... thinking the Semi Paris would be my one French race.

You know, the DL Paris race will be only two weeks after the Medoc marathon. That might make for a fun two-week vacation in France. Just sayin.....:thumbsup2

This Week's Question:

My dream would be to run the Princess Half because I would love to run thru both Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.

You know, the DL Paris race will be only two weeks after the Medoc marathon. That might make for a fun two-week vacation in France. Just sayin.....:thumbsup2

I would LOVE that, but it's a really terrible time of the year for the husband to take any time off, let alone go out of the country for two weeks. Stupid MLB and NFL.

And he would totally kill me if I went to France for two weeks without him.

What does he do that he can't get away in the fall because of baseball and football?

He works for a sports website. Baseball and football are two of the major sports he oversees.

This Week's Question:
Since my next big "goal" race is Pike's Peak, I guess that it qualifies (for now - ask me after I conquer that one and it will be something else).

Welp. Finally happened. Took a fall on the trail today.

#RunningIsAContactSport

image.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I have looked like that. I usually tear up my hands on those falls.

I can't tell you how many times I have looked like that. I usually tear up my hands on those falls.

Luckily, I just have one small scrape on the fleshy part of my palm on my right hand. My knees are pretty gnarly - one is pretty bad and the other has a severe case of road rash.

Just another one of those roadblocks, I guess. I'll probably be out of commission for a week or so until they start healing.

BUT! I finished the race!

I'm mostly sad that it's keeping me from two days of holiday-weekend pool time with friends. :(

I run with road rash, but didn't think of the lost pool time over the holiday weekend. Maybe catch a movie. The new terminator movie is great, as is the Disney movie.

Or, an excuse to drink more. :crutches:

My husband helped me clean up (and by that, I mean poured about half a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide on the wounds) and then told me that I was allowed to "drink until it doesn't hurt anymore" if I wanted.

Tomorrow was supposed to be my first distance bike ride, so I'm pretty disappointed I'm going to miss out on that. But yeah - I will miss you, pool time.

Ouch! Glad it's not too serious. Bummer about missing the pool time & the bike ride. I hope the drinking makes up for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter