100 pt Direct Blue Card Minimum September 17,2019

So, I tried your approach with my guide and he wasn't having it at all. I asked for waitlist for October UY for SSR and AKV. He quickly said "the waitlist is really long right now but I'll put you on it". I pushed a bit and said that an acquaintance's guide had called the other department to check availability - and that I was willing to hold for a few minutes. My guide immediately replied that he had "already checked earlier today for another customer" and refused to check again.

I sort of got the sense he wasn't going to do anything at all, to be honest, and seemed content to not really try to get me what I'm looking for, which is weird. I'm not going to buy 100 points, and I'm not going to buy 75 after the 16th, so why wouldn't he try hard to make the sale?
Just out of curiosity does your guide’s name start with J? We had that person and found him condescending and abrupt and ended up just dialing the direct line and getting a different one.

So, I tried your approach with my guide and he wasn't having it at all. I asked for waitlist for October UY for SSR and AKV. He quickly said "the waitlist is really long right now but I'll put you on it". I pushed a bit and said that an acquaintance's guide had called the other department to check availability - and that I was willing to hold for a few minutes. My guide immediately replied that he had "already checked earlier today for another customer" and refused to check again.

I sort of got the sense he wasn't going to do anything at all, to be honest, and seemed content to not really try to get me what I'm looking for, which is weird. I'm not going to buy 100 points, and I'm not going to buy 75 after the 16th, so why wouldn't he try hard to make the sale?

Because he wants to force your hand into buying Aulani or RR. Let’s see how many fall for the trick...

Because he wants to force your hand into buying Aulani or RR. Let’s see how many fall for the trick...

But that makes no sense in this case because I already told him specifically the 2 resorts I'd consider, and time is running out. He didn't push the other resorts on me at all - just refused to double check the 2 resorts I asked for. The call was very short.

Just out of curiosity does your guide’s name start with J? We had that person and found him condescending and abrupt and ended up just dialing the direct line and getting a different one.

No, it doesn't start with a J. I don't want to violate any posting rules, but it's a guide that I've seen praised on other threads (not the most recent thread about guides though).

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but as of today the document on the Disney website still says "75 point minimum purchase". Until they release a new membership agreement or amendment - it's still 75 points. This isn't saying they don't do this on Monday - but if on Tuesday they haven't someone should call them and ask where it says I need to buy 100 points.

I think you could be one bracket down and it still would not make sense. Plus, tax laws change all the time, which is why had we known about the SALT recall, we would not be in our current home with our property taxes alone already maxing our the new deduction level. 😡. Plus, what a pain in the __ to worry about renting (I even question whether this is 100% legal) and filing taxes on it. Suddenly your vacation property is a massive chore. If I wanted to worry about renting and the rental market and taxes I would just go buy a beach house which will appreciate much more than any crummy (sorry Disney) timeshare.

I think a beach house is a much bigger pain. I've been a true landlord and do not miss it. Points via a broker really isn't bad, some take care of pretty much everything. I'm manging my own resale points as it is, it's just a little more of that.

I think that is really pretty silly that he didn't even try. I don't know what else to tell you. While I suppose something could have changed in the three days since I've purchased, I'd be skeptical that it did. My guide seemed pretty confident it was a phone call hold - even before he called the other department. My guide was also clearly was pushing the available ones, but I was also transparent to him that my alternative would have been resale and that if my options were only CCV, RR, and AU that I would definitely not be purchasing. It sounds like you did the same, so I don't know what else to say. Does Disney let you switch guides? It doen't make sense that he didn't try to make the sale at any level.

People will dislike me saying this ... but owning dvc is kind of like evolving as a member of a country club ... there is a minimum buy in to get what a full share (direct purchaser of minimum points) member gets as opposed to being an ‘other’ (buying resale) member gets. As a person who owns much more than 100 points by purchasing direct I am kind of happy about this increase.

Again people will think I’m smug saying this but I decided to buy direct so I would not have to deal with this squabbling over such increases in minimums to enjoy a luxury item. After all, DVC is a luxury item. I realize I will never convince those who view this as an ‘investment’ or those who believe this ‘investment’ should not lose value. Would I be mad if I decide to sell what I bought in the next 50 years and only lose costs associated with MF’s .... no; however, I purchased this luxury item with the intention to run this luxury item into the ground - in other words owning it until expiration - just like an expensive car depreciates.

Almost all on this board will spend more on any car than they will for 100 direct points. If you can’t buy the car that is worth 100 direct points you shouldn’t even be looking at buying 100 points resale.

Rant over but some of this conversation is just plain crazy over this minimum point increase and the short notice.

I am not a paid spokesman for DVC either by the way.

Interesting that it appears that the 100 point total doesn’t have to be purchased on the same contract or at the same time. It is just a 100 accumulated points total. A smart way for them to attract people that are looking to buy a 50 point contract to them over resale. The price difference isn’t as dramatic at that point and they entice the buyer that their next 50 point direct purchase will get them that blue card.

Last edited:
Just noticed the website has been updated:

Effective September 17, 2019 to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 100 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/dining/

Thanks for posting. That definitely wasn’t there earlier. I logged on for the first time in weeks earlier and had a bunch of notifications I had to clear out. This wasn’t there.

A good friend is a member and I am seeking his counsel also. He brought up the member days and said they usually coincide with when we usually go in late August. He also brought up hard ticket discounts too. As others have said, basing a decision to buy direct based on member benefits is not the way to go which I fully agree with. However while they can take benefits away, what if the demand levels out and they decide to bring back more significant perks if sales decline or become stagnant? I know hoping for future benefits is the same as banking on current ones but what the hey...

I think @ScubaCat 's thought questions are important. FOMO is emotional and not really rational, so trying to reason yourself out of FOMO might not work.

Also - I would not think about renting out points to "break even" or "pay for" your purchase. You're thinking of buying in to DVC because you like vacationing at Disney and you don't want to stay in a value or stay in a moderate when you can get "deluxe" or "deluxe-adjacent" accommodations for roughly the same price. So every time you rent out your points for the $, that is a night or a trip you are not taking to Disney, which is the whole reason why you bought in the first place!

Finally - here's a little reasoning that might help - what are the actual direct member perks that can be assigned a $ value, that we have used in the last 2+ years, over 6 trips and 38 nights? (not all stays on my own points; some on rented points, some at Swan/Dolphin):

2 years of Platinum + APs for the price of gold - x 3 people = 6 passes
technically - it would be ~$300-400 per pass = $1800-$2400 (approx; I am too lazy to look up historical prices)
But we have not been to the water parks, so maybe it's worth less than that because we could have just gotten platinum passes.

3 discounted tickets to MNSSHP: total savings of about $60 - $90

2 discounted tickets to HS after hours: 2x$30 = $60

We have Tables in Wonderland, so we don't really use the DVC discounts on food (plus since we have APs, we also have the AP discount).

Merchandise discount = let's assume $1000 in purchases (probably way overestimating) = $100 saved at a 10% discount.

total actual savings = $2650, MAX.

Oh, and we've been to the member lounge at Epcot once. Kids had a fruit punch and adults had coffee. Meh.

Our 25 point direct purchase cost about $4600 total. So we haven't recouped the total cost of the 25 direct points yet. But we actually needed the points, so if you only assume the cost is the "upcharge" for buying those points direct, that upcharge would only be close to "breaking" even with a 25 point direct purchase with 2017 prices because of the crazy P+AP for the price of gold deal they had going on.

Each year going forward we will save about $200 per pass. That's a lot of passes.

People will dislike me saying this ... but owning dvc is kind of like evolving as a member of a country club ... there is a minimum buy in to get what a full share (direct purchaser of minimum points) member gets as opposed to being an ‘other’ (buying resale) member gets. As a person who owns much more than 100 points by purchasing direct I am kind of happy about this increase.

Again people will think I’m smug saying this but I decided to buy direct so I would not have to deal with this squabbling over such increases in minimums to enjoy a luxury item. After all, DVC is a luxury item. I realize I will never convince those who view this as an ‘investment’ or those who believe this ‘investment’ should not lose value. Would I be mad if I decide to sell what I bought in the next 50 years and only lose costs associated with MF’s .... no; however, I purchased this luxury item with the intention to run this luxury item into the ground - in other words owning it until expiration - just like an expensive car depreciates.

Almost all on this board will spend more on any car than they will for 100 direct points. If you can’t buy the car that is worth 100 direct points you shouldn’t even be looking at buying 100 points resale.

Rant over but some of this conversation is just plain crazy over this minimum point increase and the short notice.

I see your car analogy differently. The 100 points resale is like buying a used car. You still receive the benefits and conveniences of owning/driving a car (DVC rooms), but you are not able to experience all of the fancy features that are included in the new car (direct member benefits).

For a lot of people, used cars or resale points is the only possible way and you accept the trade offs.

People will think you’re smug because you are being smug.

You wade into a thread where people are discussing concerns about a minimum point increase to buy in, to proclaim you bought in direct to not have to mingle with the peasants who have to worry about such things as, wait for it... concerns about a minimum point increase to buy in.

And if you think owning any kind of timeshare is like belonging to a country club, you may want to dial back the conceit a bit because you’re kid of showing your hand.

Sorry you were forced to read it all. I thought it was optional, but apparently not...? :confused3

Moving on with the conversation now...

For anyone wondering, the language is identical to what was previously there just with the date and points amount changed.

By just changing the "75" to "100", it almost sounds like one can buy 25 points today and get membership extras...

"...effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras..."

Interesting that it appears that the 100 point total doesn’t have to be purchased on the same contract or at the same time. It is just a 100 accumulated points total. A smart way for them to attract people that are looking to buy a 50 point contract to them over resale. The price difference isn’t as dramatic at that point and they entice the buyer that their next 50 point direct purchase will get them that blue card.

Some people like to split contracts for any number of reasons such as inheritance (splitting between kids), opportunity to sell later, etc. This makes that possible as well.

I think this post does a good job of illustrating the fundamental differences between different member groups. (Note I chose the word "groups" very carefully, as opposed to classes, levels, etc.) I'm not looking to infer any individual member's thoughts or to paint different member groups with a broad brush, but suffice it to say that people tend to look out for their own interests and advocate for positions that support those interests.

We often see car analogies on here and oftentimes they hit the spot. But I'm going to shy away from that for a minute and go with a different analogy that hopefully does a good job of illustrating at least my perception of the differences between member groups. DVC is like a great steak. I can go to my local butcher and get a nice, grass-fed, pasture-raised, 10oz Filet Mignon for about $20. Or, I can go to the local steak house and order the same steak for $50. The steak is exactly the same. The way I go about acquiring it is completely different. But that doesn't make one way wrong and the other one right. Some people want the quality steak but don't want to pay for it to be prepared and served to them. They don't mind the added inconvenience (think ROFR but for meat) and they end up with a great meal at a lower price. Others don't want to be bothered and just want the steak brought to them ready to eat and then not have to clean up afterward. Neither way is right or wrong and depending on how you view things in general, one way likely speaks to you personally.

Let's bring this back to the post I'm responding to. I completely agree that DVC is a luxury item, but my approach, my mindset even, is completely different than yours. Even if I am spending a lot of money on this purchase, my way of thinking does not allow me to do so in a way that costs more than it otherwise could have. As long as there is resale, I likely won't be buying direct. As long as my butcher is still in business, I'll probably be cooking my own steaks. But I'll concede that while we are enjoying the same exact meal, the guy at the steakhouse is probably having more fun than I am. Just as he would concede that I spent less on the experience than he did. Different strokes for different folks as they say. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter