“Would You Like an Adventure Now?" A July PTR *Updated 8/1

As it stands, they've grown out of a lot of interests from the past. I'm sure you feel the same, with your girls being eight now.

100%. It's crazy to think about how much older they'll be this time around. On the one hand, I'm excited to ditch the stroller and not have to worry about height restrictions, but I'm curious how much they'll still lean into the magic versus bring skeptical "big kids".

The Where:

This trip is going to be a little bit different than past ones. Normally, when I book us a stay at Disney, I go with old reliable.

Shades of Green has been our place to stay for 4 of my vacations. I have slept there a total of 24 nights.

I know Shades.

I know it well.

I know the long walk from the bank of elevators, across the lobby, to the hallways that lead to half the rooms.

I know the kiddie pool, with its tunnel slide on one side and open slides on the other.

I know the levels of the parking garage, named for the branches of the military rather than numbers.

I know the turkeys on the green and the fish in the koi pond.

I know the walkway from Shades to that of the Polynesian.

Shades is familiar and comfortable and affordable.

However, it’s not where we’re staying this time.

All right, Alicia, I get it. Not Shades. Fine. But where, then?

You spoiling your kids and staying at the Polynesian again?

Definitely not.

Making Evie’s dream come true and hunkering down at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Not this time, although, with three stays there under my belt it’s tied for Pop as the second most stayed-at resort.

Okay, so trying out a moderate then?

Unfortunately, no. Alex is still adamant that he has no desire to try a moderate.

Then you must be sticking with your tried and true choice of a value? Going back to the original first Disney resort? Allowing the kids to explore the larger than life statues that they’ve never seen?

Alas (or fortunately- that’s up to each person to decide) not there, either. Much to the kids’ disappointment. They both really wanted to stay in a Finding Nemo suite at Art of Animation. Maybe one day, but for the cost of that room, Alex and I could almost get a military discounted deluxe room for the same price.

Anyone confused yet? If not at Shades or one of the mods, values, or deluxes, then where will we be at?

Oh right.

The Swan and Dolphin.

I did mention I loved my stay there last summer.

So surely that’s it.
Yes?

No.

No, this time my family is doing something brand new.

We’re staying at an AirBnB offsite.

:scared1::sad2:

I’ll wait for the shock and awe to die down.

It’s a wild thought, I know. If you had told me six years ago that I would be happy to stay off property and out of the Disney bubble, I’d have said you were crazy. Part of the fun of a Disney trip is that you only have to see purple road signs the length of your stay. Knowing you are IN the magic, 24/7. Looking around and seeing Mickey everywhere or people wearing matching shirts or MagicBands on wrists.

I love onsite. It’s always been the way I’ve operated.

But times are a changing and circumstances shift and my family dynamic needed a house this time around.

For starters, Evelyn hates sharing a room with Landon. When we went to Cornwall in September, Landon kept her up the first night and she was a cranky, mean mess the following day. And then the second night, he woke up super early and caused her to get up which in turn lead to her waking US up. Landon doesn’t sleep. He never has and probably never will. Whereas Evie loves her sleep. Needs it to be her happy, amazing self. And usually at Disney, Landon’s so tired he usually cooperates, but we’d still have a fight every night with Evie. She’d cry and whine about Landon and it would get real old, real quick.

That was not the main reason Alex and I picked an Airbnb over a hotel, just simply a nice perk.

The biggest reason is that we’re coming from England.

When you live abroad, you can’t just…go to Disney.
:rolleyes2

You have to visit family and go to Disney while you’re at it.

Rather than add more days to our trip and take extra leave, Alex and I simply told family, “We have a house in Orlando. You’re welcome to come join us in the parks or visit us on our down days.”

We booked the house with extra adults in it, so people can come and go as they please. Alex’s mom lives about an hour away, and we’ll be staying at her house two days beforehand, but she says she will come and hang out a few times during our stay.

Alex’s brother and sister live local, so they won’t stay the night but will most likely swing by and say hello.

I’m still trying my hardest to get my mom to come down for the trip, but with her England trip only a month prior she just doesn’t think she can swing it. Understandable.

But I’ve got six months to change her mind.

My younger brother and his wife have season passes to Universal, and I think they are hoping to come down during the weekend.

Alex’s aunt and cousin are planning on coming down, because the day we land in Florida is Alex’s brother’s 40th birthday. So they might stay longer and be around for the duration of our trip.

Let’s be real here. It’s going to be a revolving door of family. And I knew if we didn’t want hurt feelings and “you’re spending ALL your time at a theme park for kids?!” we needed to get a home base of sorts. A central location we can tell people when and where to come to.

I’m hoping to cut out a lot of fights by saying, “We’re leaving the park at five, why don’t we all cook dinner at the house?”

The AirBnB I chose has four bedrooms, a pool, and a game room, so plenty of space for people to spread out without having guests in our tiny hotel room. Much more manageable.

And because of family time, Alex and I also have two full down days planned plus our check in day. We’ll be staying at the AirBnB a total of
ten nights.

But….

That’s not all.

Here comes the really exciting part.

You ready???

The kids are going to my mom’s house (logistics TBD) for four nights after our AirBnB portion of the trip.

And Alex and I are getting a four night kid-less trip!!!

:cheer2::worship:

Yay!!!

Do you hear that? That cheering? It’s the sound of Alex and I shouting for joy.

Last summer, my mom mentioned she’d love to watch the kids at her house, and when I started doing the planning of this trip, it just kind of fell into place that she’d take them for a few days. I mean, if she had her way, they’d fly back to the states with her when she left England, but I am not ready for my kids to be in a separate country from me.

Four nights in Orlando is more than enough.

Alex and I haven’t decided on where we are staying yet. We’re using cash back rewards to pay for the hotel portion, and we have a few places in mind.

Here are my top 2:

The Swan.

I really, really liked my stay here last June. The bed was comfortable, the shower had good water pressure, and it was an easy walk to the Skyliner and Epcot. I’d be perfectly happy staying here again. Plus, it’s close to DHS, which is the park Alex thinks he will want to spend the most time in.

My other choice is
Wilderness Lodge.

I’ve never seen the resort before! It’d be a brand new experience for both Alex and myself. Plus, with a military discount, the price could be very reasonable.

@suse66 talked up Geyser Point so much in her report that I feel like I have to try it for myself. And the idea of popping down there with Alex for an evening drink or a snack sounds divine. I’m just not sure how much we’re going to go the Magic Kingdom and would utilize the boat transportation.

Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions??? Opinions on a different hotel we should throw in the running? Alex and I are open to most anything.

A year ago, there would have been plenty of shock and awe. Now, it almost doesn't make sense to plan a Disney trip without considering offsite options.
Rather than add more days to our trip and take extra leave, Alex and I simply told family, “We have a house in Orlando. You’re welcome to come join us in the parks or visit us on our down days.”
And that part makes a lot of sense! You'll have plenty of room and likely have a place as nice or nicer than your hotel would have been on Disney property.
The kids are going to my mom’s house (logistics TBD) for four nights after our AirBnB portion of the trip.

I mean... just bury the lead there.
My other choice is Wilderness Lodge.
I approve. I really, really love WL. I think you'll enjoy it based on your experience with AKL. It is different in a lot of ways, but similar too, if that makes sense. I enjoy both for different reasons, but WL has always been a favorite of mine!

I completely understand the AirB&B for a home base. I was a live in nanny years ago and when we would fly out to LA, the lady I nannied for would rent a cabana at the pool for the entire trip. She would tell all their friends where we were and our available down times. It was up to them to come see us. It made it so easy. That way, there was no hurt feelings. It is probably the best thing I learned on that job, LOL.

That is so exciting that yall have 4 days kids free. I love S&D and have only visited WL but it looked nice. Can' wait to see where yall choose.

Oh my!!! Still not over it...

... Ok, maybe tons of room makes sense, if you squint. :-)

Awesome!

Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions???

You can't beat the location on Crescent Lake, but Wilderness sounds fun. We're hoping to stay there in December if we can swing a 5 person room (none in the regular sections, none in CCV, so have to get into BRV). I think both would be lovely!

Hi Alicia! Just finding this and catching up on all of your plans. So so happy you and the family are getting to go back to Disney. Even if it is July. Yes hot. Yes humid. Yes rain. And most importantly Yes Disney.

Love the idea of the air b&b so curious to see how that works out for you all. There seem to be very few reasons to stay onsite anymore so may be following your lead one of these days.

For your adults only time good news is you can't go wrong. WL is my absolute favorite property and we love Geyser point too. But we loved our stay at the Swan last summer too. For the price I'd likely go that route, cause whats to stop you from going over to WL and doing Geyser anyway. Plus you have all the Swan and Dolphin restaurants and bars which do have a more adult feel, not too mention the Skyliner at your disposal. BTW if you have AAA I found their rate at the Swan to be better than the military rate.

Your logic with an airbnb makes perfect sense. We're hoping to do a big family trip in December for Robert's 2nd birthday (which almost makes me cry to even type) and will certainly be booking an offsite house. Like you, I used to scoff the idea of staying offsite but with the benefits being so minimized, it just makes sense. And not to mention, is a whole lot cheaper. We also plan to do something similar since Mike's sisters are in Florida and tell them to feel free to meet us at the house/parks to celebrate with us.

Super jealous of your adults only time! I feel like you can't go wrong with either resort choice but since it's your time without the kids maybe you'll spend more time at HS and Epcot? But Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous and I'm also dying to check out Geyser Point too!

I think the air bnb sounds like a brilliant idea! Much less hassle to let family come to you and sure the kids will love having both their own room and the pool. Plus you can chase them to bed of an evening and have some chill time too. As for staying on with Alex can I just say your mum is a superstar 🤣. I bet she can’t wait to spoil those kiddos and have them all to herself without you guys lol. Don’t think you can go wrong with either resort though I’ve never stayed WL but I think the Epcot area is perfect for adults only stays especially in current climate as you can walk to 2 parks. Have fun planning 😊

Following along!! We are planning a trip in July as well!! I'm a teacher, so summers and school breaks are the only options for us too. We are taking my will-be 16 month old daughter for her first trip!! I am SO excited!! :yay: Can't wait to keep reading your plans!

And that part makes a lot of sense! You'll have plenty of room and likely have a place as nice or nicer than your hotel would have been on Disney property.

I feel like after a long, hot day in the parks, it'll be nice to spread out and everyone get their own space. Plus, we're big breakfast people, so having a kitchen to cook eggs everyday was really appealing.

I approve. I really, really love WL. I think you'll enjoy it based on your experience with AKL. It is different in a lot of ways, but similar too, if that makes sense. I enjoy both for different reasons, but WL has always been a favorite of mine!

I haven't met many people who haven't loved WL, and I really want to see what all the fuss is about, myself. It's shameful I haven't even set eyes on the resort before. And I call myself a Disney fan... :sad2: :rotfl:

I completely understand the AirB&B for a home base. I was a live in nanny years ago and when we would fly out to LA, the lady I nannied for would rent a cabana at the pool for the entire trip. She would tell all their friends where we were and our available down times. It was up to them to come see us. It made it so easy. That way, there was no hurt feelings. It is probably the best thing I learned on that job, LOL.

That is so exciting that yall have 4 days kids free. I love S&D and have only visited WL but it looked nice. Can' wait to see where yall choose.

This is very reassuring! I feel like having a central location will make things easier for all parties. That way we're not spending our entire vacation coordinating schedules with other people. The downside to having a large family!

Ok, maybe tons of room makes sense, if you squint.

I think if we didn't have to pay for international airfare plus eight covid tests, we probably would have had a harder time convincing ourselves to staying offsite. But for this trip, we felt like it was the right call. Plus, I'll really appreciate not having to do the stealth crawl to the bathroom at 1a.m. and cross my fingers one of the kids doesn't wake up. A tiny bladder bunking with a son who wakes at the drop of a pin is always super stressful. :rotfl:

You can't beat the location on Crescent Lake, but Wilderness sounds fun. We're hoping to stay there in December if we can swing a 5 person room

I hope a room opens up for you! From what I've read, WL during the holidays is one of the best times to be there.

Love the idea of the air b&b so curious to see how that works out for you all. There seem to be very few reasons to stay onsite anymore so may be following your lead one of these days.

Alex prefers to drive, and with having to pay to park at the resorts, it wasn't much a big deal to pay to park at the parks every day. I am hopeful the AirBnB will be a success, if for no other reason than I can banish the kids to their rooms when they're cranky. :laughing:

WL is my absolute favorite property and we love Geyser point too. But we loved our stay at the Swan last summer too. For the price I'd likely go that route, cause whats to stop you from going over to WL and doing Geyser anyway. Plus you have all the Swan and Dolphin restaurants and bars which do have a more adult feel, not too mention the Skyliner at your disposal.

I like your argument about the accessibility at the Swan. When Alex and I did our overnight there last summer, it did feel like it was set up perfectly for an adults-only trip. The walkability to bars and restaurants is a huge draw.

I really like the idea of the AirBnB! I think it makes perfect sense and will be great for your family and your extended family. We are treating my immediate family (7 of us which includes grandsons 3 and 5) in March. Only 4 nights in 2 Ft. Wilderness cabins so there's a lot we will miss. My d-in-law will be a first timer and thought this was more than enough time at Disney :confused3 So, I think another trip will be in our future once she falls in love with Disney :love: I would strongly consider what you're doing if there's a 2nd trip.

We're hoping to do a big family trip in December for Robert's 2nd birthday (which almost makes me cry to even type) and will certainly be booking an offsite house. Like you, I used to scoff the idea of staying offsite but with the benefits being so minimized, it just makes sense. And not to mention, is a whole lot cheaper. We also plan to do something similar since Mike's sisters are in Florida and tell them to feel free to meet us at the house/parks to celebrate with us.

Honestly, it has taken a lot of the stress out of planning a trip with lots of other family members. We've been able to tell people "you're more than welcome to come over, just know during these times, we'll be at the parks." Plus, my kids are the type that like time to decompress, so I see a lot of benefits to incorporating time for them to take their (inevitable) new toys to their rooms and play before jumping back into the crowds and the noise and the hustle and bustle.

Oooh fun! Are you staying at the same house we did in August?!

And kidless time?! Priceless!!!

I wish! But unfortunately by the time we planned this, that spot was booked. Hopefully one day, though!

Plus you can chase them to bed of an evening and have some chill time too. As for staying on with Alex can I just say your mum is a superstar 🤣. I bet she can’t wait to spoil those kiddos and have them all to herself without you guys lol.

I'd love to say I'll get the kids wrangled into bed and then spend some time relaxing by the pool with a glass of wine, but I'm always so dang worn out from the parks, I fall asleep early, too. :sad2: Party goer I am not, anymore. :rotfl:
My mom has had a rough year, and sometimes she says, "I'm looking forward to this summer when I get to spoil the grandkids and have fun for a few days." I'm so grateful she is willing to watch them for us. Alex and I never had that sort of relationship with our grandparents, so it's been fascinating to watch the kids form such close bonds with theirs. I don't have to tell this to you, of course. You've got the most adorable grandkids. :goodvibes

Following along!! We are planning a trip in July as well!! I'm a teacher, so summers and school breaks are the only options for us too. We are taking my will-be 16 month old daughter for her first trip!! I am SO excited!! :yay: Can't wait to keep reading your plans!

Aw, 16 months! What a fun age!!! A kid's first Disney trip is so magical for the parents. Seriously, you'll wish you could stop time and watch their enthrallment forever. Since my two are a little older, I've experienced a few different age ranges, and they are all fun, but there's something about that baby's first trip that's extra magical. :goodvibes Have you made a lot of your plans yet?

We are treating my immediate family (7 of us which includes grandsons 3 and 5) in March. Only 4 nights in 2 Ft. Wilderness cabins so there's a lot we will miss. My d-in-law will be a first timer and thought this was more than enough time at Disney :confused3 So, I think another trip will be in our future once she falls in love with Disney

Hahaha, I like that way of thinking! Yes, let your daughter in-law fall in love Disney, then start working on getting her back. My first trip to Disney as an adult, I thought four nights was more than enough, as well. How little I knew.
And fortunately for your daughter in-law, she's going with experienced Disney fans, so she's going to get the best experience.

Well, Alex and I had many conversations about where we wanted to stay during our adults-only portion of the trip. Originally, we called Disney just to see what they had in the way of military discounts, and all they had were WL Courtyard View, Contemporary Garden View Garden Room, and AKL Savannah View.

Now, if you know me, I could totally have swung an AKL room again and been perfectly happy. But Evie has actually been promised a stay there one day since she loves animals so much. It seemed a little mean to book a stay there without her.....again. :rotfl:

Because WL was our first choice and a new resort, we decided to stick with our gut and book 4 nights there.

Except that lasted for approximately two days. We booked the room Saturday afternoon, and by Monday we had changed our plans. :rolleyes2:laughing:

I couldn't stop thinking about how much I loved our Swan stay last summer, and how nice it would be to walk back to our room from Epcot in the evenings. Not to mention all your lovely suggestions about being in easy strolling distance to restaurants and the atmosphere being more conducive to a kid-free trip.

So, ultimately, Alex and I compromised. We want to stay at a Disney resort again, try someplace new, but we always want to go back to the Swan. Ergo....

Alex and I will be staying 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge and 2 nights at the Swan Resort.

:cheer2::goodvibes

A split stay isn't my first choice when traveling. However, we've done it before when we stayed 3 nights at the Poly and 1 night at the Contemporary, and that turned out to be one of our best trips we've ever taken. Plus, for that one we finagled all our luggage with a two year old in tow, so this is bound to be easier. Alex and I pack light, and we'll have a car.

We figured this will allow us to cover the MK and Geyser Point during our WL portion, and DHS and Epcot while at the Swan. The best of every world!

I feel a lot better having a firm plan for the last part of our trip, and seeing our WL reservation in our MDE app has made Alex excited. I think it feels more real to him now, especially since he's not happy about the AirBnB. He understands it and agrees it's the right decision for this particular trip, but it definitely kills him a little to know he won't be immersed in the magic 24/7 like usual. Hopefully, Wilderness Lodge will make up for it. And who knows? We might fall in love with the resort and realize we want to stay there every trip from now on. You never know.

Well, Alex and I had many conversations about where we wanted to stay during our adults-only portion of the trip. Originally, we called Disney just to see what they had in the way of military discounts, and all they had were WL Courtyard View, Contemporary Garden View Garden Room, and AKL Savannah View.
All solid choices!
Alex and I will be staying 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge and 2 nights at the Swan Resort.
Yay! I am so excited for you to be staying at my "home"!
We figured this will allow us to cover the MK and Geyser Point during our WL portion, and DHS and Epcot while at the Swan. The best of every world!
Perfect! Nothing better than relaxing with a beverage at GP while watching the Electric Water Pageant! And of course, you cannot beat boat transportation to MK! Do you guys like sushi? If so, I have to highly recommend Kimonos at the Swan. Jack and I ate there last summer and LOVED it!
We might fall in love with the resort and realize we want to stay there every trip from now on. You never know.
I hope you love it. It is such a magical place. :)

I’m sorry your mum has had a rough year and hope things are looking up for her now. I’ve no doubt the thought of spoiling her gorgeous grandkids will be a highlight in 2022. Grandchildren are definitely good for the soul and so much fun to boot!
Your split stay sounds perfect to me. I’ve never stayed at WL but it looks magnificent plus as Susan said , relaxing at Geyser Point with an adult beverage watching the EWP sail by is the perfect pastime for two child-free adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter