What is one of the 'less than perfect' items you've bought at disney?

moorhunhe said:
Hehe, yeah, probably, thing is that I don't buy anything that is not Lion King related :)

I do have the pillow pet that came straight from WDW since last November, and that one is still in perfect condition.

Lol me too! I am an obsessed Lion King geek XD I will literally hunt the parks for anything Lion King

I didn't read everyones posts yet, but here are my experiences...

We bought the EPCOT set that goes with the monorail. The thing is complete junk. We also bought the monorail with the little characters and the characters fall apart all the time. We have the big train that we put around the tree every year. The wheels have fallen off the front of the engine car and one of the passenger cars. We've bought the silver mickey head sticker to put on my wife's car. On cleaned class it fell off after 2 weeks. The binocular set that we bought for my son at Animal Kingdom to watch the animals didn't last a day. I bought a pair of sunglasses at EPCOT in December because I left my "real" sunglasses in the room that day and it was sunny, and I returned them by the end of the day because they fell apart. I bought my wife a Mickey head ring a year ago. It has diamond like stones in the head and ears. Within a month one of the stones fell out of one of the ears.

We did buy one of the String Things in December and it is still working, so that's good. :)

Seriously though, I could go on and on and on with things that were a waste of money...

We LOVE Disney, but unfortunately I've tried to put a halt on souvenirs when we are there because they are so cheaply made and don't last.

Tysdad

I foolishly purchased the clip on fan for my DD's stroller in August. What a mistake. It barely felt like someone was blowing on you. I should have returned it.

The majority of the clothing that I buy from WDW always shrinks when it is put in the dryer. They usually shrink upward... I ALWAYS line dry my Disney clothes, but they last forever when I do that! :thumbsup2

We still joke about the awful backscratcher we bought years ago. It was a weird thing to buy, I know, even still, it was useless as a backscratcher.

Was it the one with characters sitting on each others shoulders? Does not work as a back scratcher but my little ones think it works great at a head bopper to their brothers.....:rotfl:

Thought of another one. I bought a pink mickey keychain made of some sort of hard plastic- broke off within a couple months of use. However, I have one from 2009 that is still going strong- it's one of the heavier metal ones.

We made shirts at the Hanes store in DTD. One was okay, one faded a little bit after the first wash and the third one faded completely after the first wash. I tried calling them and they wanted me to email them a picture which I never bothered doing.
Also bought 2 Mickey Mouse hooded towels which came apart at the ears.:sad2:

I don't know if this counts, but when I was there I got a Goofy hat that was a cap with a plasticy/doll like head piece and it gave me headaches so I couldn't wear it long.

I also got an umbrella from the China pavilion at Epcot and apparently at the time I had said to my best friend "Well since everything at Disney is probably made in China anyhow, this should be the most authentic." I didn't realize I was quite so snarky then hehe, but that umbrella doesn't open well and never did haha. I still have it though!

I bought an ankle bracelet but when I got home I realized it was for a child. I was able to fit it on my wrist but after a few days the color had totally turned. It wasn't expensive but it was not wearable anymore.

Every toy I have bought, and I have bought a lot, has broken and my kids are not rough on toys. We had them replaced and they broke again in the same way each time.

First I'll admit that I haven't read every reply to this post, but I wanted to add one thing -- might have already been mentioned.
We've been going to Disney since 1982 (me as an adult, purchasing things, not as a child tagging along!!) and the quality of the shirts, sweatshirts, etc. has gone downhill considerably.
They aren't as "heavy", don't wear as well, and lose their shape more quickly. I have OLD sweatshirts and even a few t-shirts that are far and above better now than the new things bought in the last couple years.
And we don't look for cheapie things. We buy the more expensive shirts and jackets --- looking a long time before making a choice. So we aren't trying to get more for less $.
I checked the labels and the earlier stuff was, seriously, MADE IN THE USA, and I think it's one of the corners Disney has cut that is a big mistake.
I love Disney and buy a shirt or something similar on a regular basis, so I have experience with this.
:worried:

Mickey Head Ice Cube Tray - it doesn't bend or flex without damaging or breaking the plastic so there's no way to get the ice cubes out of the tray.

As for other items that are just junk I can't explain why I purchase it.. the Cone Cup from Cars Land at DCA. It's just a drink cup that looks like a traffic cone with a handle. No idea why that seemed like a neat thing to buy but after finishing the coke within it became a big clunky item to carry all day and a nightmare to fit into my luggage.. and for what purpose? To show people at home by big clunky cup shaped like a traffic cone?

I totally forgot we bought one of those clip on mickey fans for our stroller on our first trip! What a piece of junk. It seriously has NO power. I can turn it on right in front of my face and there isn't the slightest breeze. I tried different batteries but it made no difference.

I bought a black pressed-foam Mickey head keychain (they come in lots of colors and designs) and the head fell off somewhere the first time I used it. It was only a few dollars, but I loved it and was very sad I lost it. Also, my daughter had some 3D princess charms on her bracelet and I guess maybe they were too heavy because they broke off and were lost as well.

Mickey Head Ice Cube Tray - it doesn't bend or flex without damaging or breaking the plastic so there's no way to get the ice cubes out of the tray.

As for other items that are just junk I can't explain why I purchase it.. the Cone Cup from Cars Land at DCA. It's just a drink cup that looks like a traffic cone with a handle. No idea why that seemed like a neat thing to buy but after finishing the coke within it became a big clunky item to carry all day and a nightmare to fit into my luggage.. and for what purpose? To show people at home by big clunky cup shaped like a traffic cone?
I forgot about the ice cube tray! The first time we made ice in and twisted it to get the ice out, it broke into 3 pieces! The plastic was too hard and stiff. :(

At the World of Disney, I bought a Haunted Mansion figurine...The one with the front gates, lights on top, with the 3 hitchhiking ghosts. Required batteries for the lights, cool purple. Got it home, didn't work. Took apart looking for obvious broken wires, no luck. Still like it, but wish the little lights worked.

I have this same piece. Mine does work and the lights are a purple color that flicker. The effect looks great. It is a shame the one you have is defective. They were expensive, in the $75.00 range I believe.

Ron

I have about (10) mens polo shirts (the ones with the small mickey on the left front side) and the buttons came off (8) of them. The collars have started to "pill" much too early as well.

I keep saying I will no longer buy them, but they make them in new colors that draw me in.

Ron

Was it the one with characters sitting on each others shoulders? Does not work as a back scratcher but my little ones think it works great at a head bopper to their brothers.....:rotfl:

We have this exact one, does not work. The "scratching edge" is rounded off, so there is no edge to scratch!

Ron

We bought RC cars for our girls one Christmas, a Finn McMissile and a Mater. The screws on Finn's battery compartment were so tight that when we finally got it opened, the holes were stripped. Plus, they both run on the same frequency, so only one child can play at a time. :(

I also bought some necklaces for them that had an initial with a little Mickey head. They are tarnished beyond wear already. I'll know better to only buy sterling/gold next time.

And, the Rapunzel wig/hairpiece needed altered as it was incredibly small and uncomfortable. I had to add elastic for my daughter's head (she was only 6 and not big-headed!)

Still can't resist Disney Store, though! he he I <3 my Mickey travel mug to no end - use it every day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!