What is one of the 'less than perfect' items you've bought at disney?

My husband seems to have the bad luck. He has a t-shirt that fell apart at the seems fairly quickly. Also, he bought a duffle bag as a "with purchase" special last year. He used the duffle as his carry on this year and the shoulder strap kept falling off. Other then that, we have been pretty happy with all our purchases.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

a "one size fits most" sleepshirt (it's pink with Eeyore on it for those who want to know)

I'm an average size certainly not small/ tiny but this sleepshirt is huge on me - the neck hole especially - I keep trying to figure out some way to make it smaller. Very disappointing. And yes, I've washed it and hoped it would shrink but it won't!

We bought an Emperor Zurg action figure the first week of December and gave it to DS2 for Christmas. His hand (Zurg's!) fell off just a few days later. Bummer!!!

BUT - we do find the character "hot wheels" to be sturdy and a relatively good value for a souvenir.

Being locals, there are so many things we have bought that come to be utter junk within no time.

And even things that are good in quality, like the castle toy. You know, the big one with the princesses that every little girl wants. Well, you can still buy it, and I think it's exactly the same, but my mom bought it for $75 and now it's $99 or more, seasonally. I think that's outrageous just a few years later. We're not talking about 20 years inflation here.

I won't be buying nearly as much stuff now with the reduction on merchandise % off for AP holders. If you're listening, Disney, we're disappointed. We can buy stuff with the same quality on ebay from China ourselves at about a 90% markdown. Not to mention the way the princesses have been revamped to look like fake versions of themselves (you know, the fake stuff you can buy at the fake Disney outlets looks better.)

the shirts I bought and had made at the tshirt place in 2011 faded fast the ones bought in 2oo8 held up

I LOVED a classy black v-neck shirt with a nice WDW logo embroidered on the left that I bought at SSR (Ladies L). It looked like great quality. I wore it on that trip and decided to splurge and buy a navy blue one AND a white one before I went home.

After washing the one I wore on the trip (cold water, gentle), it could have fit a 5 year-old! :scared1: It shrunk in every direction! AND it faded so much, it was hard to tell it had been black. Since I didn't know when I would get back to WDW to return the other two, I wore them and the same thing happened when I washed them. Three ruined shirts that I thought I would wear and love for a long time.

Even when it looks like good quality, the apparel at WDW is awful...

I have had hit or miss:

mickey t shirt in my picture i absolutely love and washed a million times and still looks great, but....

my "mine, mine, mine" hoodie is a small and although it fits everywhere else- the zipper is two miles too long! the front placket is way out of proportion and I have to roll up the bottom band. needless to say I can't wear it in public.

we also have monorail (both toy and die cast) and my ds plays with it non stop -like andy in toy story he pulls in all sorts of toys with that darn thing (even lego minifuigures) but ...I will say the teeny tiny microscopic characters that came with the set are ridiculous! vacuum food.

everything else has been great -including my minnie mouse mug- I almost got the mine, mine, mine mug- glad i didn't!
usually anything I get at disney store.com has been great with great customer service, but we still have to buy in the parks:thumbsup2

The silverware that has the Mickey head cut out at the top..awful! the spoons are tiny. Like baby spoons! The forks are awkward. Don't buy it! :mad: Oh and the Mickey ice cube tray! The cubes break when you try to get them out and it doesn't bend at all.

Most of the items we have purchased have had "decent" lifespans.
Biggest recent flop was the iPhone cases bought there...they just don't fit very well at all...cute, but bad fit.
Also, Mickey folding umbrellas....BLEH!
"Chrome" Mickey Ears for the vehicles.....the tape doesn't hold up well in the Texas heat, but then again, what does...

Fair reporting though... of the BEST Disney items I've ever bought at The World...for my IPad...the black Mickey IPad case!....this thing has been incredible...wish I had bought a spare!

Interesting thread. Reassuring, if slightly depressing, to hear of the same issues. Our experiences:

iPhone Case: poor fit. Broke.

iPad hard back: plastic bits that clip onto back fell off. Completely useless.

T-shirts: truly awful. Shrink only by looking at them. Some beautiful designs let down by appalling quality. Easy one to fix Disney!

Polo shirts: I bought a test track one in 2001. It was still going strong in 2010. One bought in 2008 was cut up and being used as a cleaning rag within 2 months of returning.

Ice cube tray - Mickey ears. Not good. Same experiences as others

Mickey ears cookie cutter. Minimal contact from face to ears meaning success rate for keeping things attached is low. Iconic design but didn't transfer over to this one use well.

15" Laptop Bag: - didn't fit a 15" laptop. Emailed customer service (sep 2011). Still waiting for response

There have been some hits to balance that! Towels have lasted well. A watch for DW from 2008 is still doing its thing. We have multiple Xmas decorations which we love. We have plastic mickey cups from the shop near haunted mansion that have lasted very well.

Will be extremely selective on next trip and keep following this thread!

My DD chose to get the Castle playset with her birthday money at Christmas. (yes that was fun getting it back home to England!)
While nothing has broken on it - yet -I think the quality of it is poor. The Cinderella figure that comes with it doesn't even fit in the carriage! And when you have the clock tower in place you can't press the button to make the noises :confused3

My DD loves playing with it though so we'll see how long it lasts ;)

Claire :)

Disneymadhouse said:
My DD chose to get the Castle playset with her birthday money at Christmas. (yes that was fun getting it back home to England!)
While nothing has broken on it - yet -I think the quality of it is poor. The Cinderella figure that comes with it doesn't even fit in the carriage! And when you have the clock tower in place you can't press the button to make the noises :confused3

My DD loves playing with it though so we'll see how long it lasts ;)

Claire :)

We bought my daughter this player in 2009. Some of the pieces have broken but it is still holding up well. Now my 2 year old son enjoys playing with it.

Ipad hard case back. Scratched the edges of my iPad, poor fit and no holes in back for the sound or air circulation. My iPad got so hot I took the back cover off and threw it away.

I'm sorry now I didn't save it and get my money back.

I bought a drinking glass a few years ago. It broke the first time in the dishwasher. DH told me later there was a sticker on it that said not dishwasher safe. Who makes a glass in this day and time that's not dishwasher safe?

Also I get a tee shirt nearly every trip. Since 2003 the shirts just keep getting less and less quality. I have a shirt I got in 2003 and it's still in great shape and I wear it fairly often, even sometimes at work (I work in a chemical plant around chemicals). Right now I have on a Disney tee shirt I bought maybe three years ago, it's falling apart(and I have not wore it around chemicals). It's like it's rotting around the seams, there's holes in the armpits, it looks 20 years old. But oddly enough the logo still looks good.

The silverware that has the Mickey head cut out at the top..awful! the spoons are tiny. Like baby spoons! The forks are awkward. Don't buy it! :mad: Oh and the Mickey ice cube tray! The cubes break when you try to get them out and it doesn't bend at all.

We have the silverware and really like it, however, I agree about the sizing of it. There are TINY pieces and GIANT pieces, and nothing normal sized. It still makes me smile when I use it, though :)

We have the silverware and really like it, however, I agree about the sizing of it. There are TINY pieces and GIANT pieces, and nothing normal sized. It still makes me smile when I use it, though :)

Exactly! LOL We still use it though along with our regular silverware. Just a little awkward. :lmao:

Last May I purchased 2 Disney Shag (retro) glasses that I fell in love with! Going through the dishwasher, the designs have faded significantly!:sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter