Wedding invite and $

I haven't read the whole thread, but I can understand wanting money for your wedding instead of gifts. It's somewhat tacky to ask for it in a poem, but I understand their reasoning. I always give money for a wedding, unless the couple has a registry. Then I'll choose something off of the registry if there is an item in my price range.

We recently had a baby and have gotten so many gifts that we just can't use (clothes the wrong season for the size, gadgets that are a nice thought but we have no space for, etc.). And more often then not people didn't include a gift receipt, whether because they genuinely forgot or because they did use coupons/sales and don't want us to find out what they spent, I don't know. There were many things we would've liked to return but couldn't because we didn't have a receipt.

If I was in OP's position, I would just give whatever amount in cash you can afford and maybe include a small momento-type gift.

NJ checking in--
I agree -- in NJ cover your plate is the custom -- which often means shelling out 300 for a wedding gift. It sucks.

I have only been to one wedding elsewhere -- and I handled the gift table. I thought, hey this will be easy, hold onto the envelopes and don't lose them. Only to find heavy box after heavy gift box for me to manage. We were the only ones who gave cash. I felt seriously out of place.

I think there should be some happy medium here but unforunately in NJ, most of those brides(or their mothers and mothers in law) keep a sharp list of who gave what -- so it aint ever gonna stop.

But what if they want to go? Weren't they invited for a reason?

Then they go and give whatever amount of cash they can afford, even if it's $10. I got married in "cover your plate" territory and many people did just that. A couple of my closest relatives did a lot more than that and one grand-uncle gave me $10 ( he was on Social Security and really that was all he could afford). I was just as happy with his gift as I was with the bigger ones. Really, it's not about the gifts.

I really would have hated getting a bunch of gifts that were not to my taste.

I wasn't saying enthic to make it sound bad in any way at all ..... the dollar dance just happens a lot in my area (Western PA), and it is mostly with people of Italian and Polish heritage. My family is German, Swedish, and Irish, and I can't remember any family weddings that included a dollar dance. I've paid the dollar to dance with the bride before, but if I were having a bigger wedding, I personally would not include it in the reception. I know at some weddings, you even get a shot of alcohol after you pay your money and do your 30 second dance with the bride!

Here in Pittsburgh we also have big trays of cookies at the wedding receptions ..... like thousands of cookies for the guests to nibble on and take home with them. People expect the cookies and are somewhat annoyed if the bride and groom don't have them. Some reception facilities take advantage of this and charge an extra "plating fee" or "display fee" for the cookie tables, even if you do all the work yourself. Even with my 12 people wedding coming up in August, I plan on baking a bunch of cookies to use as favors. I love to bake so I'm actually really looking forward to it.

We do the dollar dance at all of the wedding I have attended but one. Many of them are WASP weddings. We put in the money and do the shot then dance with the bride or the groom. Sometimes it is funny (like a groomsman and the groom doing a funny dance) but for most it is a time to talk to the bride or the groom. At the last wedding we attended this guy paid money to dance with me. We never figured out why, but hey they got more money. My husband and I put in a $20 each for the dollar dance. DH gets both of the shots. I have seem people put in $50s and $100s. This money is given to the bride an groom to take on the honeymoon with them.

Yes, I personally believe so. While I've been told it's a regional custom, I don't think it's appropriate to invite guests to an event and ask them to pay for anything. I believe a host should provide whatever is within their budget equally to all.

That being said, I don't think anyone's going to change their mind about it, and I'm not interested in debating it. If I am ever presented with a cash bar, I will handle it as I see fit, and I assume others will do the same.

For us it is customary to have an open bar. I did attend one with a cash bar and the reason for it was very sound. The grooms family and the bride paternal side were full of drunks. Funny thing is that most of them left really early and most would not buy a drink. The non-drunk family and friends all were fine with buying their drinks. We had all the fun and did not have to watch the drunks act like idiots.

One grand-uncle gave me $10 ( he was on Social Security and really that was all he could afford).

That is so sweet. In a way it's even more meaningful than someone affluent dashing of a check for a few hundred dollars.

She didn't say giving a large cash gift was silly, she said giving based on the cost of the wedding was silly.
Exactly. It's silly to give more because the reception venue has a "better address" or because they're serving prime rib instead of chicken. Your gift should be what you want to give to the couple, not payment for your dinner.
If we couldn't afford to give an appropriate gift to the couple, we would not go to the wedding.
What if you were on the receiving end of this situation? Would you really want your cousin/co-worker/high school friend to skip one of the most important days of your life because he couldn't afford to fill an envelope "properly"? Wouldn't you rather have that person come with a small gift and celebrate with you? Wouldn't you feel bad that that person -- someone you'd wanted to share your day -- felt he couldn't come because he didn't feel he had "enough" to give?
I know it's a very regional thing - never heard of punch, mints, or just cake at weddings - probably a lot easier, but I'm guessing the cost is about the same, when you factor in the cost of the reception, against the gifts.
Punch and cake receptions in the church fellowship hall are quite acceptable here in the South, though we're seeing more and more buffets. Sit-down meals are fairly rare.
I have never been in such financial ruin that I could not afford $200. But I would probably decline the invite if I was that poor - I would have other more important things to worry about than a wedding.
I certainly have seen days when I could not afford $200. During college, there were many times when I could no more have come up with $200 than I could've come up with a million. It was only slightly better in our first married years. Today $200 is nothing for us, and I've frequently spent that much on nice wedding gifts, especially for family -- BUT I've never felt that I had to do it because of the cost of the wedding.
Just because someone has asked for money/gift cards or whatever instead, doesn't mean that they need to have a smaller wedding!!
No matter what the individual's circumstances, it's still rude to ask for money! It's like saying, "I don't want some stinky old thing you'd pick out -- but I still want you to give me a gift!" If someone ASKS, it's fine to say, "We already have all the household goods we need, but we'd love a little help with the honeymoon" -- BUT that's only acceptable if someone ASKS.
ITA. Some of the the *Garden* (backyard) receptions cost wayyy more than a banquet room. Ha, you should SEE some of the backyards!!! STUNNING.
Absolutely! I've worked at some incredible outdoor weddings! I'm remembering one right now that I'm sure cost $$$$$$$ -- lovely yard, rented white tents surrounded by round tables, flowers everywhere, white lights in the trees, food stations here and there, waiters serving drinks. Absolutely wonderful wedding. I'm also remembering one that I know was done on a budget: The groom built a gazebo for the bride as a wedding gift, and she bedecked it with grocery-store purchased flowers. Caterers served a very casual meal of BBQ straight from an over-sized grill, while a bluegrass band played on the front porch and people danced in the front yard. Wedding cake was served in the carport. It was also lovely.

No, around here -- with our wonderful, mild climate and lovely greenery -- outdoor receptions aren't second-rate by any means. Personally, I wouldn't choose to have one 1) because it was important to me that my wedding was inside the church and 2) because rain is always a concern, and I'd be insane worrying about last-minute alternatives if the weather was a problem.
Are you really saying having a cash bar at a wedding is tacky and inappropriate?
Charging invited guests for anything at YOUR PARTY is tacky, BUT there's another reason people are going this direction, and it isn't compeltely about money: It's about avoiding liability. If a guest drinks himself silly, then crashes his car and kills a couple people on the way home, THE HOST can be held responsible for that guest's actions. I personally think this is horribly wrong, but it's the world in which we live. I don't like this, but cash bars are a way to get around this liability.

In my area, dry receptions are completely acceptable, though they are less common than they used to be. Another thing we're seeing more and more is the bridal couple offering JUST ONE champagne toast -- no one's going to get snockered on that 1/2 a glass of champagne.
Then they go and give whatever amount of cash they can afford, even if it's $10. I got married in "cover your plate" territory and many people did just that. A couple of my closest relatives did a lot more than that and one grand-uncle gave me $10 ( he was on Social Security and really that was all he could afford). I was just as happy with his gift as I was with the bigger ones. Really, it's not about the gifts.
And that's exactly as it should be: you were glad that your grand-uncle could make it to your wedding, and you didn't look down on him because all he could give you was $10. It's about celebrating the marriage. Too bad everyone doesn't see that bigger picture!

That is extremely tacky...just for that I would probably give them a Savings Bond that will take a good 10 years to mature :laughing:

I would probably not go if I only had $25 to give. Or get a bond. I agree with the others that said they give more than that for a child's birthday. Even when DH and I did not make a lot of money we would give $100+ to friends and $200+ to family at weddings. Only saw registries for the shower. We got married in 96 and only had immediate family at our wedding yet friends and co workers threw us a small party a week later and gave $100 and $200 each to us in cards. (This was in MA and I grew up in NYC.)

For anyone that finds it offensive the best thing to do is respectfully offer your regrets you are unable to attend for whatever reason.

P.S. NJ is def not the only cover your plate state. Here in MA or at least my family, friends, co-workers suscribe to the same mentality.(I think this is more important now then it used to be because more and more the wedding is paid for by the couple, not the parents.)

Right now we give $125 for a wedding, being your average wedding at a decent hall with decent food is about 50-60 dollars a head. (We don't give more for crazy blowout weddings though, don't feel we should pay more because they had the wedding at the country club!)

The Chicago area also has the "Cover your plate" mentality. I was amazed by the wedding gifts from DH family as compared to my family in Wisconsin!

in poor tatse in my opinion to ask for $$ I would get them what you can afford & don't feel bad about it.

My daughter will be getting married on short notice this summer when her soldier get leaves.

Since we'll at best have 3-4 weeks notice to pull together a hall, caterer, dj, photographer,etc,many of these things will be done by family and friends.

For those of you with the "cover the meal cost" mentality, how does that factor in to gift giving? Maybe she will be given some McDonald's gift certificates??:rotfl:

Seriously, I do hope the guests at her wedding come to celebrate this young couple's start and do not feel obligations to give a gift of more than they can afford.

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks for another family member who's having a wedding at a fancy hotel. When you "cover the meal cost", do you ask the party giver how much a meal is going to cost at their event so you'll give the appropriate amount?

I would never tell my guests how much it cost me to serve them a meal! Seems just a tad rude!

My daughter will be getting married on short notice this summer when her soldier get leaves.

Since we'll at best have 3-4 weeks notice to pull together a hall, caterer, dj, photographer,etc,many of these things will be done by family and friends.

For those of you with the "cover the meal cost" mentality, how does that factor in to gift giving? Maybe she will be given some McDonald's gift certificates??:rotfl:

Seriously, I do hope the guests at her wedding come to celebrate this young couple's start and do not feel obligations to give a gift of more than they can afford.

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks for another family member who's having a wedding at a fancy hotel. When you "cover the meal cost", do you ask the party giver how much a meal is going to cost at their event so you'll give the appropriate amount?

I would never tell my guests how much it cost me to serve them a meal! Seems just a tad rude!

You obviously haven't read the wedding gift threads - yes, we cover the plate, or if it's a less expensive wedding, we still give what we would give for a lavish wedding. We never, ever discuss the cost of a wedding - that would be rude. However, most weddings in this area are $100+ a head, so we go by that. If I were attending your dd's wedding, I'd probably give her $300, less if weren't not that close, more for an immediate family member.

You obviously haven't read the wedding gift threads - yes, we cover the plate, or if it's a less expensive wedding, we still give what we would give for a lavish wedding. We never, ever discuss the cost of a wedding - that would be rude. However, most weddings in this area are $100+ a head, so we go by that. If I were attending your dd's wedding, I'd probably give her $300, less if weren't not that close, more for an immediate family member.

Thank you for posting this. I don't get why people still don't understand the concept of "cover your plate". I especially don't understand why some pp have criticized it and made rude comments.

If you don't follow the "cover your plate" mentality that's fine. But seriously why do pp have to put down the method? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter