These are NOT the rooms that I paid for! 3 Resorts in 10 days - Trivia Answers 9/3

Jiko sounds like a perfect way to end your arrival day and then relax watching TV. I really need to get Jiko on the list one of these days.

:banana::banana: for Disneyland pictures. I'm not sure we'll ever get to DL, so I really enjoy seeing pictures of it.

Hope you had a great Easter.

Ahhh yes... Jiko and King of Queens - a lovely combination! :laughing:

Enjoy your trip to WDW this coming week!!

AKL is beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person one day!

Your food looks amazing (Yes, I saw it on Emmy's page, but it's still so yummy looking!!)! I bet you were really struggling to sleep knowing your bags were still packed! haha!!!! :rotfl:

I love King of Queens too! :goodvibes

You are so funny Christen! Yes, I had to walk away from the bag since it was mocking me being so full and just sitting there. I know, I'm sick! :hyper:

Jiko looks wonderful!! I just need to move to WDW so I can eat and stay everywhere!! If I ever get really rich, I'm buying one those houses on property :cool1: lol!

What a nice evening you got to spend at AKL and a nice treat from Emmy for the breakfast switch, oh and I love her shirt from your dinner!! :goodvibes

Great Disneyland photos! I look forward to getting out your way someday! I have a friend in San Diego and my DF loves golfing there so we may have to make a little California exploration vacation ;)

I hope you and your family had a very Happy Easter :flower3:

Hi Nicole! Wouldn't that be a dream to live there??

That's funny that you noticed Em's shirt because she got that mail order before the trip and I liked it so much that I almost tried to buy one myself in a different color. I know, so annoying when mom wants teens clothes. I came to my senses. ;)

San Diego is an hour south so if you ever make it over here Disney is a short drive! :) And, I'm always up for D-land Dismeets as well.

Anyway.... you have your very important magical day next month!!! How exciting for you. Are you doing a TR??

Loving your report so far. Jiko has got to be added to the list.

Hi carlawalter! Thank you so much for reading and joinging!! Jiko is definitely worthy of adding to your list!

Thank you Brenda for the Disneyland pics. I was so bummed that the Matterhorn was under refurb when I was there last year. Seeing that photo reminded me of that. But it's all good. I still love D-Land anyway.
And yeah, a little jealous that you can just pop in for a couple hours, lol. ;)

It's a little late, but I hope you all had a wonderful Easter holiday together. :goodvibes

Hi Rob! Well, if you come back to D-land now your bobsled will have side-by-side seating now and not the nestled awkward seating like before.

Thanks for the belated but appreciated and welcome Easter greeting!!! :goodvibes

Love all the Disneyland pics! Emily's lunch looked delicious! I may have just drooled on the keyboard a little bit. :laughing:

I was cracking up when you wrote in your Jiko update that you think you married Doug from King of Queens because I say that about my hubby all the time! I can never resist the re-runs of that show when they come on at night.

Hope you and your family had a very happy Easter! :goodvibes

Hi Jerseytink! Ha ha! Another King of Queens fan! Yes, Doug is awesome!

Nice for the upgrade on the plane.
That stinks about the wrong bus but good he still took you.
AKL Jambo is so beautiful. Love it there.
Wow Jiko is empty.
I agree about The Wave.
Fun times at Disneyland. I need to get back there soon.

Hi Scott! I know you are very familiar with AKL! ;) We had a late dinner at Jiko so it was pretty cleared out by the time we left.

Great first few updates. Your room seemed really bright and when we stayed in Kidani in a 2 bed with family, I found it really dark!:confused3 Maybe we just didn't turn on enough lights!!

Can't wait for another update, will head over to Emmy's report in the meantime!

Hi Lisa!! Thank you for joining in and welcome!

I think the villas may have more dark wood furniture... not sure but the white drapery over the beds in the regular rooms certainly made it feel light.

Em is slow to update since she's not on Spring Break yet and has been busy with school and volunteer work. But thanks for reading her DR.

Thanks for the Disneyland pics really great!

For sure I need to try jiko, I love hearing about people's favourite meals. AK is beautiful and definitely worth a couple more nights, that would have been hard for me to not to unpack :)

Hi Patti!! It definitely was one of our favorites of the trip. Everything about it was lovely - not just the food.

That Apple Cheesecake looked awesome! Never eaten at Jiko's before.

Hi livsmom! Yes, it was like no other cheesecake we've had at WDW...it was almost too good to share!

Yay! Love your TR and so happy to have found it. I so hope to take mother daughter trips with my daughter some day:)

Hi there blessed mom!! 3 boys and a girl?? That's my mix but one at a time!! Thank you for joining and welcome!!

Awwww that would be awesome to look forward to mommy/daughter trips. I'm so glad that we started doing this but I wish we had started sooner. :)

Sunday February 24, 2013: Day 2 Part 1

We had Boma reservations at 8:30am and then the plan was to head to AK for the day. After awaking and checking out the views from the balcony by day we dressed for breakfast.

DSC08409.jpg

DSC08412.jpg

If you have a savanna view room be warned that there are cameras rolling! They actually have signs that say to keep your drapes closed since the savanna is video monitored. Makes sense, they need to make sure that the animals are not ripping off the guests. You know, some of the animals even wear prison stripes such as those zebras! So sinister!

DSC08418.jpg

On the way to breakfast we passed the windows overlooking the savanna and had our first glimpse of real live honest to goodness straight from Africa (or rather bred across the way at AK park) animals roaming around. I even surprised myself with having a moment I was a bit awed at seeing these amazing creatures. Outside of the jungle cruise, Ive never seen a zebra up close! I think we saw impalas and kudus but I have no idea which is which. I didn't pay attention to the signage since I was busy taking photos. Next time I swear I will come back with accurate and exciting animal facts.
It took a few more minutes to get to breakfast than planned since I had to stop and take more than a few photos of the lobby. It is so beautiful!! (I have said that before right?)

DSC08429.jpg

DSC08431.jpg

DSC08439.jpg

DSC08441.jpg

DSC08442.jpg

During the short wait before we were seated for breakfast, it gave me an opportunity to just stand there and stare seriously. I took a few photos but honestly I wanted to observe every detail and let it sink in how amazing of a job Disney did with this place. It is a perfectly themed restaurant that is modeled after an African marketplace with thatched roof architectural details and expansive curving walls of windows overlooking the pool area. Even the light fixtures are so interesting and unique. Ok, you can tell that I'm a huge fan!

DSC08457.jpg

DSC08458.jpg

DSC08460.jpg

DSC08507.jpg

DSC08461.jpg

As far as the food, breakfast was as good as we remembered it from 2 ½ years ago. I was a little disappointed to see that they didnt have the bananas foster French toast that day but they did have waffles so I was a happy gal. I did go a little crazy with the food, I think I had 4 plates! (Ok, not heaping full plates but I like my food to be separated by hot vs cold, sweet vs savory, and well, you know the OCD thing again!) I made it to the omelet station this time and believe me when you ask for onion they will heap them on - burp!

My plates - yeah, all of these!!! And no... I wasn't able to eat all of this. ;)
DSC08506.jpg

Em's pancakes
DSC08508.jpg

Corn flakes - I'm sure an African breakfast tradition!
DSC08514.jpg

Em's other plate
DSC08525.jpg

Oh and something I don't recall from our visit last time, they have a little drum line roll through the restaurant where they encourage the kids to participate. It was really cute.

DSC08516.jpg

Here's Ems Boma dining review.

Up next: AK Park time

Next TR Installment >>>

We've never eaten at Boma and have never even been to AKL so that may be something we have to try on our fall trip!

Ah! Your stories and pictures of AKL make me want to go back there SO BAD! I'm really hoping for a discount next trip so I can stay there again, it's just beautiful beyond words, and it takes my breath away every time I would walk into that lobby. *sigh*

Boma for breakfast looks fun! Not as adventurous as I thought it would be considering the options in the evening buffet, but still something I'll give a try to!

Looks like Day 2 was off to a great start! Good info about the cameras monitoring everything if you have a Savannah view, I'm sure that's caused a few red faces since the resort opened, LOL. :blush:

We've never had breakfast at Boma but your pics and Em's review makes me sorry we haven't. Maybe one day, if we ever stay at AKL ...

I'm just like you when it comes to unpacking, I'm never comfortable and can't relax until everything is out of the suitcase and put away. Hubby just shakes his head but learned long ago not to fight it. :rotfl2: I'm also very picky about the food on my plate. I don't mix sweet and savoury and I like space between each food item. If they mix, I like it to be my choice.

I know ... I'm a bit strange. :lmao:

Can't wait for more!

You know, some of the animals even wear prison stripes such as those zebras! So sinister!

:lmao::lmao:

What a great way to start out the day. Boma! :thumbsup2

Boma is my favorite so far at Disney. Although I haven't tried breakfast yet, each time I've had dinner there I made three trips to the buffet line. So good.

AKL is where we're heading for our trip next year! DD may try to make her case again that we should go to AoA again. She says that we need to try out the other sections of AoA starting with the Little Mermaid. I'm going to stand my ground this time and stick with AKL! ;)

We've never eaten at Boma and have never even been to AKL so that may be something we have to try on our fall trip!

Hi Bridget! Thanks for dropping by. :) A fall trip sounds lovely. But yes, if you can make it to AKL, Boma is a great place. (I can't speak to lunch or dinner though.)

Ah! Your stories and pictures of AKL make me want to go back there SO BAD! I'm really hoping for a discount next trip so I can stay there again, it's just beautiful beyond words, and it takes my breath away every time I would walk into that lobby. *sigh*

Boma for breakfast looks fun! Not as adventurous as I thought it would be considering the options in the evening buffet, but still something I'll give a try to!

Oh my gosh Katt, you totally get it about AKL! Now I'm noticing in your signature FIVE trips in 2012 to WDW - you are my HERO!! :worship: That is so awesome!

I'm holding out for a discount in the summer as well. ;)

If you are staying at AKL Boma just kinda makes sense since the only other option (correct me if I'm wrong) is the Mara.

Looks like Day 2 was off to a great start! Good info about the cameras monitoring everything if you have a Savannah view, I'm sure that's caused a few red faces since the resort opened, LOL. :blush:

We've never had breakfast at Boma but your pics and Em's review makes me sorry we haven't. Maybe one day, if we ever stay at AKL ...

I'm just like you when it comes to unpacking, I'm never comfortable and can't relax until everything is out of the suitcase and put away. Hubby just shakes his head but learned long ago not to fight it. :rotfl2: I'm also very picky about the food on my plate. I don't mix sweet and savoury and I like space between each food item. If they mix, I like it to be my choice.

I know ... I'm a bit strange. :lmao:

Can't wait for more!

Well, I wouldn't call you strange, just organized with your food!! :laughing: Oh, and the bag thing yeah, my hubby doesn't put clean laundry away, why would he put his clothes away in the suitcase? Ha! :lmao: At least your hubby goes with it.

:lmao::lmao:

What a great way to start out the day. Boma! :thumbsup2

Boma is my favorite so far at Disney. Although I haven't tried breakfast yet, each time I've had dinner there I made three trips to the buffet line. So good.

AKL is where we're heading for our trip next year! DD may try to make her case again that we should go to AoA again. She says that we need to try out the other sections of AoA starting with the Little Mermaid. I'm going to stand my ground this time and stick with AKL! ;)

Hi Dave! Tell your DD that there are baby giraffe's and zebras at AKL. If she doesn't care for the animals then tell her that you'll buy her a pony... oh wait that won't work. Kids are too smart sometimes! (Aren't the Little Mermaid rooms the only ones that are not family suites?)

Sunday February 24, 2013 - Day 2, Part 2

DSC08543.jpg

By 9:30 we had finished breakfast and decided to check out the hotel before moving on to a park. This is where our plans took a slight detour as we were so enamored with the resort, the animals, the CMs and our general lack of motivation to go anywhere fast at that point.

On the way back to the room we took a detour so I could take some more photos of the lobby and the animal viewing area outside of the Sunset Overlook room. As we were looking at the animals through the window a DVC CM came over and said we could go outside the doors to view the savanna. So we did and then he followed us and I knew what was coming. I was completely prepared to politely listen to his pitch and thank him for his time and then lie and tell him that my husband makes all the financial decisions in the family!! Just kidding! Lets just say that I still am not a DVC owner but he did offer to take a few photos of us on the terrace. He was a very nice young man!

DSC08552.jpg

DSC08554.jpg

It was nearly 11am, which is check-out time, we needed to get moving so we could be on our way. Back in the room we called bell service to come get our bags for the luggage transfer which takes place between 1pm-3pm. We stayed in the room until the bell service guy came to gather our bags which didnt take long. Once our bags were safely on their way to our next destination we went outside to the Arusha Rock Savanna Overlook where the animals were gathered since they were being fed.

There were a number of families watching the giraffes and the zebras but we found empty spots along the railing without pushing any kids out of the way! We play nice that way! The zookeeper dude was answering questions like; Do giraffes get sore throats? Do the lions ever get play time with the zebras? (we know how that usually turns out; reference jungle cruise scene.) In reality, the zookeeper dude was telling us about the genetics of the mother/daughter giraffe pair. It was fascinating. It started to rain and most folks headed indoors including us since we had yet to make it to a park.

DSC08564.jpg

DSC08609.jpg

DSC08610.jpg

DSC08621.jpg

DSC08627.jpg

DSC08624.jpg

DSC08613.jpg

Map of resort:
animal-kingdom-lodge-map1.jpg

Ok, maybe we'll make it to a park yet.... stand by.

Next TR Installment >>>

I have to say that I completely understand your love for AKL. The first time I toured there I remember thinking it was "dark" and I thought I would never want to stay there. But once I joined DVC and Kidani opened I was totally on-board to try it. Plus I was only working with my original contract so the point spread for the 2BR standard was a no brainer.

After spending 5 nights there I was sold. I loved everything about it. And even though I didn't have a savannah view I felt like I spent countless hours just staring at the animals from the big picture windows or from the various viewing areas. I remember thinking, "who needs the safari when you have this".

I loved talking to the various CM's. They were all so knowledgable about the animals. And I just loved the 24/7 African inspired music. It really transported me to another place.

Oh and Boma is a big winner for me too. I honestly love every restaurant at AK.

Should I go on gushing love for AK? :rotfl2:

Looking forward to your move and to see if you ever do make it to a park!

AKL is so gorgeous! The details are so amazing, I took like 5 pictures For our one night just because I get caught up in the sights and sounds. The animal guides are so knowledgeable too- we found them very interesting while we waited to be seated at Sanaa... It's funny you mention about your numerous plates - I totally get that! Boma is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW, we've only gone for dinner but plan on trying breakfast in January. Dinner is fantastic - I'm not a huge fan of buffets but this is one that I have no issues going to! Love the picture of both you and Em :) Minus the rain looks like a great start!

If you have a savanna view room be warned that there are cameras rolling! They actually have signs that say to keep your drapes closed since the savanna is video monitored. Makes sense, they need to make sure that the animals are not ripping off the guests. You know, some of the animals even wear prison stripes such as those zebras! So sinister!

Okay that seriously made me LOL! :lmao: I always knew those zebras were up to no good!

I was completely prepared to politely listen to his pitch and thank him for his time and then lie and tell him that my husband makes all the financial decisions in the family!! Just kidding!

:rotfl2: Oh my gosh that is so me! That is my go-to excuse for all salespeople. Not at all true, but usually effective. I don't want to be rude, but I don't like being pitched anything.

All your AK pics are great! It really is such a beautiful resort. In fact it's hubby's favorite place to stay. We had a savannah view both times we stayed there and spent hours out on the balcony watching the animals. Such an amazing thing to be able to do on vacation! That's great that you got to check out the resort, even if it was only one night.

I really need to give Boma another try. We weren't overly thrilled with it when we ate there about 5 or 6 years ago, but I think it's about time to give it another try. Especially for breakfast. Your breakfast looked really tasty.

Also, great picture of you and Em on the terrace!

Hi Dave! Tell your DD that there are baby giraffe's and zebras at AKL. If she doesn't care for the animals then tell her that you'll buy her a pony... oh wait that won't work. Kids are too smart sometimes! (Aren't the Little Mermaid rooms the only ones that are not family suites?)

:rotfl: Yeah, DD6 is well past the pony phase as we learned this past Christmas season when she filled out her list to Santa. The top three items: 1. A Diamond Ring, 2. iPhone, 3. iPad. It was a doozy of a conversation explaining to her why Santa couldn't bring her a diamond ring. She didn't get an iphone or an ipad either and she said she was going to try again next year. If this is where she is at 6, what am I in for when she hits her teenage years? :rotfl2:

And yes, the Little Mermaid rooms are the ones that are not suites. And they are the furthest away from Animation Hall. She just likes it after seeing the exterior and she wants to try the pool area.

Do the lions ever get play time with the zebras? (we know how that usually turns out; reference jungle cruise scene.)

:rotfl2:

I would pay a lot of money to see that on a safari!! It could be a rated-R version of the Safari!

Ugh, I just want to live in AKL forever, like, that would be wonderful. If I was to work at a Disney resort, it would be that one…or MAYBE the Grand Floridan, but probably AKL. Hahaha, yeah, last March I bought a premium annual pass so I got into DLR and WDW for “free” for a year, when you’ve got that, and the discounts, it’s all “well I really only have to pay for the flight…” and BOOM I’m down there again ahah. I’ve also got a Feb ’13 on that pass as well, and a March DLR trip, I certainly used it to its max!! I love Disney, what can I say!?!

Hahaha, the thing I love about being my age and travelling the parks solo or with friends is that you NEVER get approached by the DVC people, they know I shouldn’t be able to afford it. Heck, I wandered towards one to pin trade when I was with my Mom and she was just “NO! You’re not allowed to have that!” Lawl.

Your pictures are making me miss AKL so much!! Screw it, even without a discount I’ll stay there next trip! It’ll be a super short trip for an audition anyways, and the audition location is literally around the corner from AKL so it makes the most sense, haha!

Looking forward to more!

I have yet to ever make it over to AKL, but that will all change come early Oct. I am having an early dinner there with some friends.

The resort does look beautiful!

I have to say that I completely understand your love for AKL. The first time I toured there I remember thinking it was "dark" and I thought I would never want to stay there. But once I joined DVC and Kidani opened I was totally on-board to try it. Plus I was only working with my original contract so the point spread for the 2BR standard was a no brainer.

After spending 5 nights there I was sold. I loved everything about it. And even though I didn't have a savannah view I felt like I spent countless hours just staring at the animals from the big picture windows or from the various viewing areas. I remember thinking, "who needs the safari when you have this".

I so agree! The animals are fascinating!

I loved talking to the various CM's. They were all so knowledgable about the animals. And I just loved the 24/7 African inspired music. It really transported me to another place.

Oh and Boma is a big winner for me too. I honestly love every restaurant at AK.

Should I go on gushing love for AK? :rotfl2:

Looking forward to your move and to see if you ever do make it to a park!

The good part is coming up...

Enjoy your time at HHI! (sorry about the kitty cats! Sounds like they will be in good hands.)

AKL is so gorgeous! The details are so amazing, I took like 5 pictures For our one night just because I get caught up in the sights and sounds. The animal guides are so knowledgeable too- we found them very interesting while we waited to be seated at Sanaa... It's funny you mention about your numerous plates - I totally get that! Boma is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW, we've only gone for dinner but plan on trying breakfast in January. Dinner is fantastic - I'm not a huge fan of buffets but this is one that I have no issues going to! Love the picture of both you and Em :) Minus the rain looks like a great start!

Hi Sarah! We plan to try Sanaa next time so I look forward to hearing more about the animals.

I can see a dinner or lunch at Boma in our future which would be really great! :)

All your AK pics are great! It really is such a beautiful resort. In fact it's hubby's favorite place to stay. We had a savannah view both times we stayed there and spent hours out on the balcony watching the animals. Such an amazing thing to be able to do on vacation! That's great that you got to check out the resort, even if it was only one night.

I really need to give Boma another try. We weren't overly thrilled with it when we ate there about 5 or 6 years ago, but I think it's about time to give it another try. Especially for breakfast. Your breakfast looked really tasty.

Also, great picture of you and Em on the terrace!

Hi there! If we had a savanna view I don't think we'd ever go to the park!

Breakfast at Boma seems to be pretty safe considering it has a lot of the same dishes as a lot of other buffets around WDW.

:rotfl: Yeah, DD6 is well past the pony phase as we learned this past Christmas season when she filled out her list to Santa. The top three items: 1. A Diamond Ring, 2. iPhone, 3. iPad. It was a doozy of a conversation explaining to her why Santa couldn't bring her a diamond ring. She didn't get an iphone or an ipad either and she said she was going to try again next year. If this is where she is at 6, what am I in for when she hits her teenage years? :rotfl2:

And yes, the Little Mermaid rooms are the ones that are not suites. And they are the furthest away from Animation Hall. She just likes it after seeing the exterior and she wants to try the pool area.

:rotfl2:

I would pay a lot of money to see that on a safari!! It could be a rated-R version of the Safari!

Gosh, you better save up for your DD's first car - it just might be a Bentley Continental GT! ;) As hilarious as I can imagine that conversation about what Santa could bring, it certainly illustrates what lays ahead for you and your poor DW!!!

As adorable as the LM rooms may be, you may have to learn to bride your DD! :rolleyes:

Ugh, I just want to live in AKL forever, like, that would be wonderful. If I was to work at a Disney resort, it would be that one…or MAYBE the Grand Floridan, but probably AKL. Hahaha, yeah, last March I bought a premium annual pass so I got into DLR and WDW for “free” for a year, when you’ve got that, and the discounts, it’s all “well I really only have to pay for the flight…” and BOOM I’m down there again ahah. I’ve also got a Feb ’13 on that pass as well, and a March DLR trip, I certainly used it to its max!! I love Disney, what can I say!?!

Sounds like you have a premier pass. Is it gold and looks like this....

DSC08671.jpg

Hahaha, the thing I love about being my age and travelling the parks solo or with friends is that you NEVER get approached by the DVC people, they know I shouldn’t be able to afford it. Heck, I wandered towards one to pin trade when I was with my Mom and she was just “NO! You’re not allowed to have that!” Lawl.

Oh my! So rude!

Your pictures are making me miss AKL so much!! Screw it, even without a discount I’ll stay there next trip! It’ll be a super short trip for an audition anyways, and the audition location is literally around the corner from AKL so it makes the most sense, haha!

Looking forward to more!

Hi Katt! AP rates are pretty prevalent - we used that discount this last trip. Not a huge discount but any little bit helps. You may be able to see if there are any discounts using that.

I wish you all the best of luck with your audition!!

I have yet to ever make it over to AKL, but that will all change come early Oct. I am having an early dinner there with some friends.

The resort does look beautiful!

Hi Debra! Yay for an October trip! F&W?? Sounds lovely.

Sunday February 24, 2013: Day 2, Part 3

So where were we... our bags had been picked up and we had to leave that room. Nooooo I don't wanna go! Ok, so let's take a few more photos!

Me
DSC08579.jpg

Em
DSC08580.jpg

It was straight up noon when we left for the bus stop. It was a long wait for a bus and although a crowd had gathered we were able to secure seats for the short drive to AK.

Someone really needs to help me interpret the signs on the bus that forbid smoking, eating & drinking, and no cassette tapes?? They need to be more clear in their signage. Anyone??? Can you help a Diser out?

DSC08659.jpg

Once off the bus we followed the herd, errr crowd, to the entrance.

I'm inserting this ONLY because MEK included something in her TR that totally reminded me of this next moment... I'm here to admit what a creeper I was for a brief moment! :blush: I hope this lady is not on the DisBoards. If so, this is totally a compliment! We got off the bus and I noticed what cute shorts this lady had quickly followed by noticing what absolutely perfect legs she had! So in honor of the perfect legged lady with the cute shorts, I offer this photo.

DSC08661.jpg

Ok, so back to where I was before this took an awkward detour. Being the ever so helpful human that I am, a lady and her mother were taking turns photographing each other at the AK sign by the bus stops. I offered to take their photo together for which they said yes please. They in turn offered to take our photo for which we obliged. (Not the best photo but there we are.)

DSC08664.jpg

As we approach the entrance and lo and behold I see just the person that I have been waiting to see! A Photopass Photographer! There was a gal who was earning her ears and we were just the people to help her hone her skills! Actually, I had pre-purchased the photopass CD (no photopass+ this time since it really wasn’t worth it last time) so I need a card. Being the good Diser that I am, I immediately took a photo of the back of the card with the unique code. She took some magic shots in addition to getting the iconic Animal Kingdom sign in the back-ground. She was fun and energetic and I was super excited to see how the magic shots would turn out. Post script to this photo shoot…my Photopass CD contained the photos of another family at AK but none of Em and I at the entrance. I’m thinking that some other family will get the pleasant surprise of seeing our smiling faces on their CD!

DSC08669.jpg

So with that we headed to the entrance with our handy dandy gold APs. They had just installed the new RFID entry sensors. However… there was a CM assisting park guests and one look at our passes and he said we couldn’t go through their special gates. We had to go to the entry for all other entry tickets other than KTTW cards with park tickets loaded. I was fascinated with the new system so the CM said it was no problem to snap a photo or two… so I did.

We've already seen this photo somewhere:
DSC08671.jpg

DSC08672.jpg

Once through the gates we checked our watches and figured that we had time before our 1:30pm ADR at Yak & Yeti to check out some attractions and eve more importantly to get some FP for Expedition Everest.

Up next: Attractions that are creepier than me!

Next TR Installment >>>

Sunday February 24, 2013 - Day 2, Part 4

First stop, Tree of Life for photos….

Photo0024FourBySix.jpg

Photo0026FourBySix.jpg

Followed by It’s Tough to be a Bug. I can proudly say that other than crickets, I have no problems with bugs – at all. I will live in perfect harmony with any creepy crawly critter except for crickets. Occasionally we see these in our house and I grab the broom and whack them dead all the while shrieking “die sucker” or some variation of those words. DH always knows when there is a cricket in the house because of my “cricket shriek”. He has been known to post on FB that there’s a cricket in the house; therefore, it sounds like someone is being murdered in our home. That is so annoying… if you know I’m in peril, come to my rescue, don’t post on FB. Even worse, and totally related to this attraction, (yes, there was a point to this side bar) Michael points out Hopper and says, “look! a big cricket!” So dastardly! So now you know my deepest fears!

DSC08688.jpg

DSC08689.jpg

DSC08690.jpg

DSC08693.jpg

DSC08695.jpg

LOVE these posters - so clever!
DSC08700.jpg

DSC08701.jpg

DSC08702.jpg

Getting closer to where Yeti's dwell
DSC08708.jpg

DSC08715.jpg

We grabbed Fast Passes for EE but not without first doing some quick math to calculate if (a) based on the FP return window minus (b) our anticipated dining duration = (x) FP return time computes. We were pretty certain that we could finish lunch by and make it over to EE by 2:55pm.

DSC08737.jpg

DSC08739.jpg

DSC08732.jpg

Time for lunch! We checked in to Yak & Yeti and after a short wait were seated in the front dining room with the windows overlooking the walk-way in Asia. I decided that a fruity tropical cocktail was the best way to start our meal – one pina colada please! It was creamy delicious and if I didn’t have to be the responsible adult in our party I would have had about 4 more!

DSC08766.jpg

Em’s dining review will include her awesome photos but I’ll post a few of mine here and commentary as well.

This was our 2nd time eating here and although last time I liked it, especially after eating dessert, this time I LOVED Yak & Yeti. Perhaps it was simply my stellar choices this time but I can’t wait to go back!

I ordered a side of pork egg rolls (2 for a side versus 3 for an appetizer) and shared the pork pot sticker appetizer with Em and then we split the fried cream cheese wontons. Em had the ahi tuna appetizer. The best part of both of the appetizers was the tangy dipping sauces – chili plum for the egg rolls and soy lime for the pot stickers. So perfect! Dessert was as awesome as last time. The honey vanilla drizzle over the wontons and the fruit – delightful!

Em's Ahi tuna appetizer. She must have liked it because this was the second time she ordered it.
DSC08770.jpg

DSC08771.jpg

DSC08772.jpg

DSC08779.jpg

DSC08783.jpg

There was a leak in my glass apparently... not sure what happened.
DSC08777.jpg

After the bill arrived I asked if there were AP discounts, the gal said yes, took my AP and came back a few minutes later announcing that the 10% AP discount applies only to entrees. Good to know.

Following lunch you know where we were headed…. Expedition Everest!

Sunday February 23, 2013: Day 2, Part 5

DSC08786.jpg

Considering we were using our FPs, the abbreviated ride queue was ours to view. We didn’t get to see the tiger scat – darn! We were quickly on the ride and gosh darn it if we weren’t going to re-live our EE experience from 2 years ago when it started to pour when we exited the ride. However, this time, I was worried that we would be caught in the down pour while ON the ride. I know I won’t melt but I really don’t like to be drenched outside of either a. showering or b. donning my bathing suit and opting to dive in myself. Given no choice in this matter, and the fact that my camera was out… yeah, not so excited about the rain. I’m happy to report that we not only dodged the Yeti with nary a peep of fear but we also make it out before the rain started. (Funny but I just noticed that several photos post-EE had a rain drop on the lens so you can see that the threat was very real!!)

DSC08793.jpg

DSC08797.jpg

DSC08802.jpg

DSC08806.jpg

Evidence of at least 1 rain drop in the vicinity of AK
DSC08810.jpg

We didn’t feel the need to purchase the ride photo but it is funny to see Em’s expression.

DSC08808.jpg

What to do next? Finding Nemo the Musical was crossed off the list since it had just started. We’ve never been on any ride in Dinoland and didn’t start this trip so we kept walking until we saw the 5 minute wait for the Dinosaur ride.

DSC08814.jpg

We practically walked on the ride so I didn’t get to get a lot of cool photos in the queue. (My big dino dude photo is a bit blurry but you can totally see that he wanted to devour us. Scary huh?)

DSC08816.jpg

DSC08823.jpg

Em and I went with two completely different reactions to the ferocious dinosaur that tried to keep us from returning to our present day and age. I opted to dish out what he was giving and give him my own roar. Em turned into Stefon (Bill Hader as Stefan Zolesky) from SNL and had a more delicate reaction.

Photo0030FourBySix.jpg

This was the one and only time this trip but yes, we purchased the ride photo. They now offer an attractions photo package for photopass for $44.95. I asked about the difference between that option and photopass+ which already included ride photos. It is a subset of photopass+ so if you don’t plan to have a lot of character dining but you DO plan to purchase a few ride photos then this may be an option for you.

DSC08838.jpg

After exiting the Dinosaur building we had a moment of hilarity that we decided to catch on video. We were holding the camera out towards us and filming when a nice lady walked up to us thinking we were trying to capture our photo and offered to help. Sure, you can take our photo… which was this >>> photo.

DSC08840.jpg

Our next destination was in debate as anyone who read my last TR knows that I may have lured an innocent child down to the Character Landing to pose with Pooh and his friends. See here: This time the kid wasn’t going to fall for that scheme so I had to go alone to pose with Pooh, Eeyore, and Tigger.

DSC08851.jpg

DSC08845.jpg

Going in for the hug...
DSC08847.jpg

Photo0036FourBySix.jpg

Not caught on film... I bounced with Tigger. Gotta do that when I see him.
Photo0041FourBySix.jpg

We were going to go check out Africa but the parade was starting and we had just received a text from a friend who happened to be at WDW the same dates as us. We were meeting for dinner at 6pm and we still needed to get to our new resort, check in, call bell service for our bags, and freshen up before that then. With those time constraints we decided to call it a day and head out.

But first… a stop at Disney Outfitters for a cute Ariel T-shirt that Em had spied on our way into the park.

DSC08860.jpg

Bus stop 3 was the place for us to await Disney transportation to take us to Yacht Club. At 4pm we were on the bus and headed to our new resort.

See 4pm!
DSC08868.jpg

Next Up....This is NOT the room that I paid for!

Someone really needs to help me interpret the signs on the bus that forbid smoking, eating & drinking, and no cassette tapes?? They need to be more clear in their signage. Anyone??? Can you help a Diser out?

DSC08659.jpg
[/COLOR]

That does look like a cassette player, but I wonder if its supposed to be a radio. Perhaps they need to update their signs a bit. Even the hot dog looks alien. :rotfl:

I'm inserting this ONLY because MEK included something in her TR that totally reminded me of this next moment... I'm here to admit what a creeper I was for a brief moment! :blush: I hope this lady is not on the DisBoards. If so, this is totally a compliment! We got off the bus and I noticed what cute shorts this lady had quickly followed by noticing what absolutely perfect legs she had! So in honor of the perfect legged lady with the cute shorts, I offer this photo.

DSC08661.jpg
[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Yup - totally something I would notice. Of course, I am always stuck in bag check so I would have missed the picture. :rotfl2:

And then all October I was walking around with Cynthia who also has totally perfect legs. :rotfl:

I have a bad habit of also taking pictures of people that are far less attractive. I had one from my Epcot afternoon (I was going to call him sleep apnea man) but decided that I would omit it.

We've already seen this photo somewhere:
DSC08671.jpg

[/COLOR]​

These are very cool! I want one!

all your Y&Y photos look great. I want to try that snowcone drink that they have and your dessert - that is on my bucket list as well.

Yeah for EE and Dinosaur. I actually really love the Dinosaur ride. Just something about it always makes me laugh when they say "Nope. Not our dino".

Great update.

Can't wait to see the room!!!!!

Fun day at AK! Love Yak and Yeti..it is such a great place..I want to be there now lol yummy piña colada. Great little mermaid shirt..can't wait to here about yacht club ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter