Eastern Caribbean (Tortola, St Thomas) beach or excursion options

jstone15

Earning My Ears
We just booked our DCL (first time) to Eastern Caribbean. A lot of the excursions on Tortola n St Thomas are sold out via the DCL site.

We have never been to either island, we are primarily beach people, but open to other excursions. Few questions.

1. Is it easy enough to take a taxi to a beach?
2. If so, what beaches do you recommend on either island?
3. How much cash do you usually need for the cab or do they take CC?
4. If we take a taxi, etc, what should we look out for to make sure we get back to the boat in time to depart?
4. I saw some excursions via boat to Jost Van Dyke from Tortola. Is there a way to book one separately? If so, what provider do you recommend?
5. We saw "Coral World" on St Thomas. Is that easy to taxi too and would you recommend it? We have a 7 year old.

Thank you

Last edited:
Here are the taxi rates for St Thomas from port where Disney docks to various beaches (from December 2023).

IMG_9937.jpeg

Note the pricing; if you are traveling with more than one in your party, it’s a lower price. Includes children. You will be riding with others. The only other taxi types I have seen are 15-passenger vans.

Here’s an example of the Safari Taxi used in the Virgin Islands. No seatbelts. Typically 5-6 people on each bench. The other side is a solid wall, without cut-outs or steps. Everyone, including children, are just riding as if in a school bus, as far as safety. The roads are windy, narrow, and uphill/ downtown, but never at a fast speed.

IMG_7418.jpeg

There should be taxis waiting at the port.

Coral World is listed on that taxi rate sign. Adjacent to it is Coki Beach, which is popular with locals. It’s a more lively beach, with concessions and music. We have not been, owing to limited parking (we were on land vacations).

Magen’s Bay is popular, large. A protected bay, with a one-mile stretch of beach. You can enter the water from any part of the beach you choose. We use the part farthest from the loungers, bar, concession stand. It’s very peaceful there, with a state-park like bathhouse with flush toilets and showers.

You can rent loungers and equipment. There is a concession stand with sandwiches and pizza slices. A bar that also offers delivery to the beach.

You should be able to join other cruisers in a taxi. Check with your driver to see if he will be doing return runs and at what time.

Bring cash for your beach entrance $5 pp adults (<12 free). And for your taxi.

This destination should make you feel safe about getting back to the ship, thanks to its popularity.

Here it was in December 2021, for example.

IMG_5724.jpeg

I like the water color and views at Sapphire Beach (sister reports decent snorkeling). Limited shade.

Lindquist Beach (Secret Sands shore excursion) has a different color and a nice bathhouse, but no concessions. I would only go here with a car or excursion, as it is not a busy beach, so return transportation could leave you uneasy (yet it is not off the beaten path).

Every beach has defenders and people who didn’t like it.

For me, on a cruise ship, I would try to get a spot on the Trunk Bay Beach Break excursion. I would not attempt it DIY if you are not used to changing islands by ferry. Fine for those who are confident in DIY.

Trunk Bay is in the USVI National Park on St John. A ferry crossing is required.

View from above.

IMG_9925.jpeg
Trunk Bay. I took a horseshoe float and just enjoyed the warm water on the right side of the island. My sister snorkeled by the island.

IMG_8458.jpeg

I did this same excursion twice in 2023 (September from the Fantasy and Dec from an NCL ship). The 90 minutes in the water was a sufficient time.

And, yes, Coral World should be an easy excursion. It’s on a small cul-de-sac.

See the area from above on Google Maps.

IMG_7420.png

We took the ferry on our own from Tortola to The Baths on Virgin Gorda. It's not a long walk from the ship to the ferry. I did research about how to do it on our own beforehand, but other than the 1st ferry not coming and we had to take the 2nd ferry, everything went really smoothly. It was one of mine and my daughter's favorite excursions ever. Going on our own was fabulous because we got to explore, enjoy the beach, walk through the rocks, etc. before all of the ship tour groups got there. Those groups did not look like fun (everyone just lined up following each other through).

Check out New Horizon Ferry Service from West End, Tortola, to Jost Van Dyke if you really want to go there. Found some info on Cruise Critic, then looked for ferry’s website. It still is around (the posts were from 2016; guess it survived the pandemic). It would require a taxi, but it’s not bad pricing. Great Harbour is on Jost Van Dyke. (JVD).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2318699-ways-of-getting-to-jost-van-dyke-from-cruise-pier/

IMG_7421.png

A popular beach, 15 miles from the Tortola cruise port, is Cane Garden Beach.

And visiting The Baths on Virgin Gorda is the other one of the three most popular excursions. There are plenty of videos (YouTube) and write-ups of how a DIY booking is practical (less expensive) and gives you better control over your experience. I have seen several videos of ship excursions where you reach the beach only to be told time’s up and you miss enjoying the water.

The Baths involve caves formed by water, large boulders in the sea, and a downhill then uphill trek to get to them. You have the option to go through the rocky area or on a pathway to reach the bottom.

Check out Speedy’s for ferry and tram to The Baths on Virgin Gorda.

IMG_7422.jpeg

IMG_7423.jpeg
IMG_7424.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter