• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

These are NOT the rooms that I paid for! 3 Resorts in 10 days - Trivia Answers 9/3

I love the rooms at AKL - both the villas and the regular rooms. I just love the bright bold prints and the dark wood.

:thumbsup2 for Jiko. I think I am going to plan Denny's B day dinner there.

Love, Love Animal Kingdom Lodge!!! I really would love to stay there someday, so beautiful!! :goodvibes

Glad the driver dropped you girls off at the resort and didn't make you go through that process again, and I love the reflection photo too! Oh and the Vegas one too yay! :rotfl::)

Welcome Home!!!

I love the welcome photos taken by the CM. What a thoughtful offer.

The Lodge is beautiful! From the pictures I have seen, I think the room theming is one of my favorites of all the Disney resorts.

Love AKL-great pictures, made me feel like I was there. Can't wait to go back this summer. Loving your trip report.

Just catching up! I am glad everything was resolved easily about the bus snafu, and that no one was really delayed too much. The picture of the little boy is great! Disney with a newcomer or child is wonderful, and to see hints of it through others is special and very magical. I love AKL we did one night there in December and I wish we had felt better to take in the lodge and surroundings more. I think Olive and I did most of the exploring in the wee hours of the morning before people were even awake. My favorite is the bridge on the 5th floor - and the CMs there are so friendly! I can't wait to read more!

Your room at AKL looks lovely Brenda, it really is a beautiful resort
Did you manage to check out The Mara quick service whilst you were there? It's the only place we haven't eaten at the Lodge and I love the look of their menu
Oh and you were the only one at Ceasars with a cocktail!!?? I will be speaking to Joh about that one ;)

Just found this trip report. I would have done the same thing with getting put on the wrong bus.

I want to go to AKL! I wonder how crazy it would be to book a two week long vacation, but just switch resorts every few days……...:bitelip:

Love your arrival photos at AKL! Some day I fully intend to at least visit and definitely eat at Jiko. Maybe we'll even stay there one day. I just worry that DH would never let us leave the resort because he adores watching animals.
Hi Jill! Thanks! Ha, yes, there would be the problem of your DH watching the animals. They are amazing and I'm not really a huge animal fan. :)

Great pictures of your AKL room!

We're planning on booking our next visit to Disney at AKL. Had a couple of chances to look around a bit when we were there for our Boma dinners. It's such a beautiful resort. And I can't wait to eat at Jiko!

Knowing your talent with a camera, you probably have some awesome photos of the resort!! ;) I finally had the opportunity to eat there and it didn't disappoint. That post is coming up next.

I've lurked my way through your reports, but it's time to come out and play. Seeing the trips you and Em take makes me wish I had done the same with my mother, and I definitely plan to do it with my own daughter some day!

Hi KristinAnne!! I'm so glad that you are reading and have come out to play!! I love your Lilypie tickers! How exciting to look forward to your little boy. :)

I didn't take trips with my mom either (we did family trips but no girl time) and I wish I had. I'm sure your daughter will value time spent with you for girl time in the future.

Thanks again for joining!

I need to stay at AKL. I love that resort! I can't believe you got put on the wrong bus! That is odd. It is nice he took you there but still stinks it took a lot of extra time!

Yes, you do!! yeah, not sure what happened but at least they didn't put us on the side of the road.

I hope Corey is recovers quickly. I just read about his surgery and I pray all goes well.

AKL is honestly my top dream resort at this point. I've never even set foot in the place! I just need to stay there!!! It's so gorgeous, and I've only seen photos! Plus... ANIMALS.

Anyways... :laughing:

That room is so pretty! YAY for watching Stacey! She's the best!

It's funny but I really didn't think much about AKL until I saw photos and then dining reviews and then we stayed there and now... I'm hooked!! Throw in the animals and now I'm obsessed!

AKL looks so beautiful! I want to stay there for a night or two sometime.

Hi Debra! It really is so beautiful. I think I'll say that in my TR about 4 more times!

It looks as if you had a blast in Vegas. :thumbsup2

I cannot believe they put you on the wrong bus! But what a sweet bus driver to take you there himself (well, after he finally gave you an answer :rotfl:). And it turned out to be a good way to see the outside of some resorts you've never seen.

It was very nice of the CM to take your "welcome pictures." Your room is lovely (I do love the AKL!).

Hi Kathy! Such great CM at AKL, they were so friendly. The check-in CM who took our photo wouldn't have any of us just standing in front of the desk. He said he would come around and take our photo in the lobby. So very nice!

Isn't the Animal Kingdom Lodge just beautiful?! How nice that the CM offered to take your picture! The pictures are great! :thumbsup2

I know exactly where your room was! My room from last February was just down a floor and closer to the lobby (but on the same wing). I also thought the wallpaper was really fun to look at!

I absolutely agree that the path to the restaurants is a bit confusing. I'm glad I had a chance to explore the resort before we had to find our way to dinner!

I already enjoyed Em's reviews of Jiko, but I'm looking forward to hearing your point of view!

Hi Jenny! I was excited to read your TR since you had stayed there.

Ha! Yes, we "explored" the resort by going down one hall and then right back up it the way we had already come since we were a bit confused. ;)

I took about 5 photos of the wallpaper I was so fascinated.

I am so going to check out as many resorts as I can next time I'm in the World.
I've never set foot in the AKL, and that must be corrected!

Hi Rob! Yes, you must correct that. Plan on going on one of your AK days between your EE rides! :lmao:

The bonus photos of you and Joh in Vegas are great! How fun that you got a chance to meet up outside of WDW.

I never thought to have the CM behind the check-in desk take an arrival picture. Very clever! I might have to try that next time.

Hi Jerseytink!! Heck yeah, it was lovely seeing Joh again. :) After traveling all day I should probably re-think the arrival photos but it is usually our happiest moment so why not capture it?? :laughing:

I remember that you and your DH went to Jiko during your honeymoon! What a great choice I can now say!

You can tell by the list of Disney trips in my signature that we really liked AKL, staying there twice in a row. Loved the sunset safari (extra cost but only available to guests of AKL), thoroughly enjoyed breakfasts at Boma and used to be crazy over dinner at Boma but not so much on this past trip. Jiko is wonderful and, perhaps best of all, are the ANIMALS!

Hi Kathy! I can see that you are an AKL lover too. I've heard about the safari but really don't know much more than it is offered to guests of the resort. Maybe I should check that out since we'll be back this summer.

YES, the animals almost made me late for breakfast! Truly a unique theme for anywhere outside of Africa as far as I know.

I love the rooms at AKL - both the villas and the regular rooms. I just love the bright bold prints and the dark wood.

:thumbsup2 for Jiko. I think I am going to plan Denny's B day dinner there.

Hi MK! The rooms really are lovely.

Jiko would be a great choice for Denny's bday! Be prepare for him to give you an extra hug in gratitude! :lovestruc

Love, Love Animal Kingdom Lodge!!! I really would love to stay there someday, so beautiful!! :goodvibes

Glad the driver dropped you girls off at the resort and didn't make you go through that process again, and I love the reflection photo too! Oh and the Vegas one too yay! :rotfl::)

Hi Nicole! I was fully prepared to have to get back in line for another bus so I'm glad it worked out.

I need a "like" button for the little boy photo. (As noted somewhere here before, that wasn't the shot I was going for and I almost deleted it.)

Welcome Home!!!

I love the welcome photos taken by the CM. What a thoughtful offer.

The Lodge is beautiful! From the pictures I have seen, I think the room theming is one of my favorites of all the Disney resorts.

Thanks Dee! The CM was so nice to accomodate our photo needs!

I need to make it over to the YC/BC thread since we've booked 4 nites at YC in August for another split-split stay.

Love AKL-great pictures, made me feel like I was there. Can't wait to go back this summer. Loving your trip report.

Hi Minnie411! Thanks for reading!! So you've been there before and know how lovely it is!! :lovestruc How exciting that you will be returning soon. :)

Just catching up! I am glad everything was resolved easily about the bus snafu, and that no one was really delayed too much. The picture of the little boy is great! Disney with a newcomer or child is wonderful, and to see hints of it through others is special and very magical. I love AKL we did one night there in December and I wish we had felt better to take in the lodge and surroundings more. I think Olive and I did most of the exploring in the wee hours of the morning before people were even awake. My favorite is the bridge on the 5th floor - and the CMs there are so friendly! I can't wait to read more!

Hi Sarah! I loved reading your TR because you are another Diser that I followed your TR because not only are your DDs completely adorable but you also stayed at AKL (1 bedroom?) a night. Well, I didn't follow your TR ONLY for that! ;)

Your room at AKL looks lovely Brenda, it really is a beautiful resort
Did you manage to check out The Mara quick service whilst you were there? It's the only place we haven't eaten at the Lodge and I love the look of their menu
Oh and you were the only one at Ceasars with a cocktail!!?? I will be speaking to Joh about that one ;)

Hi Linda! No we didn't check out the Mara but I looked at their menu the other day as I'm trying to figure out where we will eat and when next time.

Ha! In that photo I was the only one having a cocktail - at that time. Joh did join me later. :blush:

Just found this trip report. I would have done the same thing with getting put on the wrong bus.

Hi livsmom (Charlotte)! I'm so glad that you found this and are joining. I know you have many TRs to choose from so I thank you for joing Emmysmommy's!!! :laughing: Seriously, glad you are here.

Sometimes you just have to take charge in situations - the bus was my moment. I did have my DD depending on me to get us to the right place.

I want to go to AKL! I wonder how crazy it would be to book a two week long vacation, but just switch resorts every few days……...:bitelip:

Hi there Christen! I like your idea...I just need a really, really, really good discount to do that! :goodvibes

BTW: That was an adorable photo of the girls in the pre-dinner wagon ride!!

Saturday February 23, 2013 - Day 1, Part 5

Note: A brief update to complete day 1 and then on to day 2!

DSC08294.jpg

Jiko is such a beautiful restaurant. The lights along the back wall dim and brighten over the course of time to replicate the dawn and sunset on the savanna. We had one of the best dining experiences of all our WDW trips for this dinner. Our server Saadia was amazing, the hostess and other staff were so friendly and helpful and the food was a pleasant surprise. We became acquainted with bobotie which was very good. See Em's dining review for Jiko here.

I am including some of my photos from dinner...although not as good as Em's, they'll have to do!

DSC08366.jpg

DSC08311.jpg

DSC08370.jpg

DSC08372.jpg

DSC08332.jpg

Bread
DSC08334.jpg

Crispy Beef Bobotie Roll
DSC08340.jpg

Oak Grilled Filet with South African Red Wine Reduction:
DSC08342.jpg

Braised beef shortribs - Em's entree
DSC08343.jpg

Apple-spice cheesecake - delicious!
DSC08362.jpg

Complimentary chocolate pistachio cookies - too chocolatey for me!
DSC08363.jpg

Wine tree:
DSC08375.jpg

During dinner Em asked me if I wanted to hear a surprise that she had planned. Why certainly! Because she had planned the trip including all of the dining, she had compassion on me since there is one breakfast ADR that I wasn't too excited about. For those that don't know.... I have yet to find something that is decent at The Wave (Contemporary Resort) but heck, I wasn't going to go hungry so I was going to suck it up. Well... she told me that she had dumped The Wave and replaced it with Grand Floridian Cafe! How sweet!!!

By the time we were finished with dinner, it was after 10:30 so there wasnt much to do. Since we needed to adjust our internal time clocks to East Coast time we decided to chill in the room with a little King of Queens (I feel that I married Doug) and call it a day.

Knowing that we were checking out the next morning we really just left our bags intact... I couldnt obsess and put everything away like I always do. Argh! The OCD part of me had to just walk away. Next time I can see more than a 1 night stay at AKL in our future not because of the bag thing but because it was such an amazing resort!

Thus concluded a very satisfying day 1 of our trip!

Disneyland intermission here>>>

For those preferring un-interrupted service to the next TR installment - this is your link!

Hi Brenda

What a lovely way to spend your first night :)

Isn't Jiko just wonderful? - we had a an incredible meal there a couple of trips back and really must go back sometime

Have a lovely weekend - oh and ad always you and Em both look very glamorous :)

Lx

Your meal at Jiko looks great!!! I really enjoyed Em's review! :goodvibes We're planning to go there on our next trip, and you got me all excited for when I can make that ADR! :laughing:

I agree, Disney really does go above and beyond to ensure that their guests are happy!

I have eaten at Jiko once and really enjoyed. Based on my experience there and yours and Em's review, I have decided to take Denny there for his B-day dinner next October. He has never been there. I am also hoping to switch part of my reservation over to AKL. I haven't stayed there since 2009 and its time!

Thanks Dee! The CM was so nice to accomodate our photo needs!

I need to make it over to the YC/BC thread since we've booked 4 nites at YC in August for another split-split stay.

:woohoo:

Let me know your dates if you want me to put you onto the Be Our Guest list! It is the two of you, three of you or something different???

Brenda you're back. I was getting worried. :wave2:

Yes, I will definitely have to drop in to AKL if I can just stay away from that darn Yeti. :scratchin

What a wonderful daughter making that change for you. :goodvibes

And then O... M... G... King of Queens is one of my favourite shows EVER! I know it's not Disney, but Doug and Carrie , Doug and Carrie, Arthur Arthur Arthur Arthur. :lovestruc :banana:

Jiko looks amazing! I agree that 1 night is not enough at AKL! We will be going there for a week in January as our family trip. I bet getting used to Eastern time is a little tricky (and then West Coast time again!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter