The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Janice- Those chimichangas sound delicious, the kiddo wanted burritos soon but I think I will make those instead. I'm going to use cheddar too, or maybe pepperjack, I've never had velveeta and don't see a reason to try it now.

I hope today finds everyone feeling well. Find your owns for dinner tonight.

Alex has it all planned. We will have the leftovers tomorrow before we go to the library. The boy is crazy, when he really likes something he wants it as leftovers :confused3
Good morning :flower3:

WFD? I'm grilling ribeye steaks with my signature rub, baked potatoes and broccoli. Not sure about dessert yet. Today is DH's and my 14th anniversary. :bride::groom: Can't believe we made it this long without him taking a trip to the freezer. ;):laughing:

Happy Anniversary

:rotfl:

Happy Anniversary!

Here are pictures from last night. Since John nixed the margaritas, I made sangria. It was very fruity and light, and we have lots left for the rest of the week too!

3506622351_45a463e9f8.jpg

Then I made a sampler plate. Left to right, there is a cheese empanada, some yellow rice, guacamole, salsa, refried beans at the top, and quesadillas stuffed with roasted corn and carmelized onions:

3506622309_209706a7ce.jpg

Sheryl, my grocery store actually sells the seaweed salad already prepared. It's with the sushi.

Not sure WFD yet. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and might go to the fish store after.

Have a good day everyone!

Leftover Sangria I'll be right over

I wanted to catch up but you know who just started fussing...

Well, my hairdresser was not there...maybe I had the wrong date but the whole place was closed! :mad:

Sandy,
Happy Anniversary!!!

BBL...I hope!

Hope everyone is having a good day...

That's crappy. To bad you wasted the trip.

Becky (or anyone else who wants to take a stab at this) - Katie fell in love with Cornish pasties while we were in England last year. I've tried to make them, but regular pie pastry is not "hardy" enough. Have you had any experience with these? Any tips or ideas?

I know that I could Google them and probably come up with some recipes, but I thought I'd come here first!

Scotlass- I made your ground meat in puff (sorry I can't remember what you call it) but as a pie- so we call in meat pie. Whenever we have a chicken potpie my husband sees it and thinks I've made him the meat pie again. He really loved it.

Is it sad that this brought a tear to my eye ?? :laughing:

Hi all! The date didn't go yet. He had some unexpected things come up plus he had to work. I wasn't feeling the best but I would have dragged myself together if necessary. I was grateful he didn't have to see me at my worst.:scared1: I don't want to scare the poor man away so soon :rotfl2:

:rolleyes1 cmon lassie....get it together...we wont details !! ;) :laughing:

Hi everyone! I wanted to share my good mood. Liam got to pitch for the first time tonight, and wow, was he great! The coach called it a "phenomenal" performance and dads from the other team were coming up to me saying how good he was, and they sure were glad he reached his pitch count because now the team had a chance. :laughing: Liam's team won for the first time this season, so Liam and the team were just completely joyful. Liam went to bed the happiest I have seen him in a LONG time. He even gave me a huge hug and didn't want to let go (at home, of course...not in front of his teammates ;)) I am so excited for him. Not only was he proud of his pitching, he was also proud that he hit the ball every time he was up tonight. I just love baseball season.

:cheer2::cheer2: nice one wee fella !!

I had bad news from Greg last night....Yesterday his Mom was called in for an additional test before her knee replacement this Thursday, after the additional testing they have found a "mass" in her lung. She is back in the hospital today for some invasive testing and we are all praying & hoping for the best.
I had actually called Greg to him about my "incident" that happened in my surgeon's office yesterday morning & tell him that I wouldn't be going to Boston & he just blurted out "my Mom has a mass in her lung". Hopefully we will know something by the end of the day:sad2:

Hope all goes well..:hug:

Please keep my DM in all your prayers. They found a lump on her thyroid and she is waiting for the Dr. to call and schedule a biopsy. I will keep you all posted as I hear.

sendin love ower the water..:hug:

BBL...who would have thought 3 wee letters could cause such confusion...

I didnt even manage back later.:laughing:

I've had a rough few days.

I've been going into work but by the time I'm home I'm pretty shattered.

I only work 4 hours but it taking it out of me.

I had bad pain yesterday so i upped my meds...big mistake...very bad reaction.

I going up was quite fun but the coming down not so much !! :sick:

I know Ive missed a lot but hugs, love and support to all who need it !!

Vickie! I'm really starting to worry about you! Please take care of yourself! I don't know what we'd do without you, so please don't make us find out!

Vickie I agree you have a very special humor that makes me laugh :hug:I would hate it anything happened to you. Take care of your self. Your day is coming quickly don't make it any faster. Eat healthy now so when you have your surgery you bounch back quickly.

Making spaghetti tonight. We are having thunderstorms so no grilling tonight, my hair is curly enough with out the charge.:rolleyes1

Vicki - I'm worried about you too, please take care of yourself.

Glynis - You and Laura are supermoms, no question in my book.:worship:

Stephanie - I thought the same thing, Sandy's back and brought back freezer memories.:laughing:

Ellen - I'm afraid I'm going to be calling on you soon for some tips on adapting to a son away at school.

Warning, long...anyone not interested in baseball by all means skip this (we've got enough catching up to do on this thread:laughing:)

Now that Kyle’s baseball season is officially over I can tell y’all what’s happened.

He had a rough baseball season and the coach proved to be the type to play the players whose families donated the most money to the baseball program. Therefore he pitched a whopping 3 innings all season. It was so difficult to watch our son’s spirit be totally broken and he looked so lost for so long. We lost all respect for the coach, he's all about who makes him look good and he doesn't care about the boys as a team. His wife and mother showed the family has no class as they would taunt & curse at the opposing teams. We're talking college ball here! To make it even worse the education at Delgado is pitiful, he hasn't had to crack open a book. He actually came to us and said he was ready to focus on his education and put baseball aside. He applied to LSU Baton Rouge, which is where he's always wanted to go and will major in Psychology. He has been provisionally accepted pending receipt of his final transcripts from Delgado. We signed the lease on his apartment three weeks ago. I am so excited for him. I can't tell you how proud I am of him to decide to focus on his future and hang up baseball. Johnny is having a hard time with it though, guess that’s a Dad thing. Kyle will try and walk-on the team at LSU but they're one of the top teams in the country so that would be a long shot.

I’d like to thank you all for supporting Kyle the past two years through the best times of his life and for listening to my rambling about the games, y’all are the best!

Kat ~ I'm so glad this is all settled;)
You should be a very proud Mom of a great young man.

Vickie~ your really making me nervous. I feel an international call coming on, I have an international plan on my cell so watch out.

Glynis & Laura ~ you do make me wonder how you do it. I really respect all you do for you families, it's inspiring.

I'm crying because an alert just came on t.v. that the little 3 year old boy in Missouri that slipped out of his house 2 days ago was found alive in the woods...Amen!!

I have an update about the baby girl in Florida....Greg & I have let go of trying to adopt her. Her Aunt is willing to let her have a family but only under the conditions that she will be allowed in & out of the babies life whenever she wants. She also wants some holidays.
We really feel that our life will start when our adoption comes through & we are just sticking with our international adoption.
I'm so sad for this little one~ this woman/aunt is still focused on Social Security money which is why she has such a hard time coming to a decision.
BBL~

:hug:

We are having thunderstorms so no grilling tonight, my hair is curly enough with out the charge.:rolleyes1

Mine has been frizzy with all this rain! :headache:

And we have a tornado watch for parts of MD. :scared:

I’d like to thank you all for supporting Kyle the past two years through the best times of his life and for listening to my rambling about the games, y’all are the best!

That stinks about the coach! I hate it when they are like that. Some of the ones we've encountered with my godsons footbal team were horrid. :mad:

Happy to hear though that he seems to be moving on, maybe the walk on will come through for him.

I have an update about the baby girl in Florida....Greg & I have let go of trying to adopt her. Her Aunt is willing to let her have a family but only under the conditions that she will be allowed in & out of the babies life whenever she wants. She also wants some holidays.
We really feel that our life will start when our adoption comes through & we are just sticking with our international adoption.
I'm so sad for this little one~ this woman/aunt is still focused on Social Security money which is why she has such a hard time coming to a decision.
BBL~

Dinner was good tonight. Forgot I had seafood mix out so that will be tomorrow nights dinner.

Okay...here goes nothing!

Sheryl- did you and Kathy "forget" a few details in order to scoop Bethany into your neck of the woods :rotfl:

I just decided..................Bulgar casserole! I love it....Buddy hates it but he will survive and it is wicked good for him. He told Donny he is on a diet and did not even know it....just forced to eat "cardboard" :lmao:

:lmao: It's a conspiracy. Really.

And I did know they had them, and that they could fly, but the whole shake them outta the clothes thing is a new one!

Okay....WHAT is "bulgar"?!? :confused3 Reminds me of Hamburglar and Grimace from McDonald's.

My morning started off with a stupid argument with Bob. Not a great way to start the day.

Yes I guess we might have forgotten to tell Bethany a couple of things! But it's too late now WE'VE got her! :laughing:

UH, Bethany you did mention the hurricanes & flooding right?? ;):laughing:

:hug: Sorry about your morning.

:lmao: Yeah, I'm stuck now. The first time I was down, in October, my friends were laughing at me a few hours before I was about to leave. They kept starting sentences with "When you move here..." and I'd correct them "IF...IF....but it's NOT HAPPENING!" Yes, I laughed in their faces at the thought. That was what...only about 7 months ago? :rotfl2:

Um yeah, I've heard about those "other things" that shall remain nameless!

Today is DH's and my 14th anniversary. :bride::groom:

Happy Anniversary!! :goodvibes

Bethany~ hoping your better:hug:

Greg is having a tough time in Boston & waiting for news. When I spoke to him at dinner time he said he was grabbing a bite at a local pub we used to frequent & head back to the hotel to do homework & then at 8 he called & said he was going to see the new Hugh Jackman movie so he's just not settled at all.
I on the other hand ate everything that wasn't nailed down. When I went on the scale this morning I couldn't believe the numbers:scared1:so much stress eating.
Not to sound like a Hallmark card or freak anyone out but I'm sitting here thinking what did I do before I found you ladies? Your a blessing in my life, during good times & bad & I thank you.

I'm feeling a bit better, thanks.

Sorry to hear about Greg and his mother. I also stress eat, and it shows. :sad2:

Sound like a Hallmark card if you want...I feel the same way! :goodvibes

Oh ladies I am so excited - today is the day!! We go and pick Matthew up from college. I am so darn excited I couldn't sleep last night. We have really missed him. There is a picnic at 5, then an awards ceremony at 6:30. He texted me last night and said as SOON as it is over he wanted to leave. :cool1: He is all packed except for his refrigerator, microwave and printer that we will take in the pickup.

Thanks for the well wishes for Jay. I really appreciate them. If you would please keep my little family in your thoughts, that would be great. This is his 2nd tour to Iraq - he is to be gone maybe 18 months.

By now, you're probably at home with Matthew! That is great; just in time for Mother's Day!

:hug: Prayers for safety for Jay and strength for you.

I wanted to post this...I received it as an email yesterday and I loved it.

Recently I overheard a Father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure..

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the Father said, 'I love you, and I wish you enough.'

The daughter replied, 'Dad, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Dad.'

They kissed and the daughter left. The Father walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?'

'Yes, I have,' I replied.. 'Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?'.

'I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,' he said.

'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?'

He began to smile. 'That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone..' He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.' Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting..
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good- bye.

He then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them; but then an entire life to forget them.

* Only if you wish send this to the people you will never forget and remember to send it back to the person who sent it to you. If you don't send it to anyone it may mean that you are in such a hurry that you have forgotten your friends.

TAKE TIME TO LIVE....

To all my friends and loved ones, I WISH YOU ENOUGH.

Thanks for posting that! It almost made me cry on the train, though!

In our home it is Buddy who has the phone issues that he cannot control. Marisa put Supercalifragilistic for his ring tone. Imagine my big, burly "manly" man in an office filled with truck drivers trying to find his phone and shut if off all the while acting like Mary Poppins was normal for any guy to have as a ring tone :lmao:

This had me laughing out loud on the bus. Oops. :rotfl:

:hug: Sounds like YOU are one of the ones who needs some hugs! Take it easy over there! I can't swim that far!

BBL~

That sounds like a difficult decision to make. :hug:

WFD:
IMG_9972.jpg

I hope I caught everything in my marathon multi-quote extravaganza! If not, I apologize!

OMG! Kris made it another week. Making plans to go to the hometown concert on Friday! My sis, dh and I screamed so loud we scared the kids.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread

OMG! Kris made it another week. Making plans to go to the hometown concert on Friday! My sis, dh and I screamed so loud we scared the kids.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread

I screamed as well, I was so excited!!!:cool1::yay::yay::woohoo:

Oh my gosh! Can they do anything more before your surgery?

Now that Kyle’s baseball season is officially over I can tell y’all what’s happened.

Poor Kyle. So frustrating. I'm glad he's at peace with moving on in his education. :hug:

BBL~

that must be terribly hard :hug:

kathy-just went back and read your post about Kyle. What a hard decision for him to make. I've "heard" that LSU school is pretty good ;) don't know if I can root for an opposing SEC team though. Hehe! Oh, and about the baseball coach, he seems like a real winner.

Vickie--take care of yourself!

kathy-just went back and read your post about Kyle. What a hard decision for him to make. I've "heard" that LSU school is pretty good ;) don't know if I can root for an opposing SEC team though. Hehe! Oh, and about the baseball coach, he seems like a real winner.

The coach and my principal are both in the running for Person of the Year. :lmao:

C'mon...you can spell "Geaux Tigers!", can't you?!?

BBL~

I think y'all made the right decision, this is a very sad situation.:hug:

Yep, it's a pretty good school!;)

WFD - Whatever.....I'm going out to my monthly lunch with my co-worker for Italian food so I probably won't be very hungry for dinner. Kyle won't be home this evening so Johnny can scramble some eggs or make a sammie.:)

Have a great day everyone!

Hugs and prayers to all who need them.:grouphug:

Jay hasn't left yet, but will on Tuesday. He will leave for Fort Stewart in Ga and will deploy for Iraq from there. The longer he is stateside the better. Thanks for your prayers.

I know that nothing beats having your family stateside but Timmy is deployed to Iraq right now and he tells us it is quiet lately. His accommodations are also like a luxury hotel in comparison to what they were on his last tour. Neither of my nephews are known for sharing the dark details of their deployments with their Mom or me but it really sounds like things are better now. Prayers for Jay daily!

I thought of your homecoming last night :goodvibes

I do! He is doing well but we really need to get him to a forever home.

I am working late so dinner will be whatever I find. I'm feeling a little better but just completely dragging. There is a lot of "activity" here at work right now and I think my mind is just processing things. Tomorrow is my iron infusion :woohoo: so I should feel better in a week or two. I hope!

He is so darn cute! I wish I could take a dog but my poor kitties would never adjust at this time in their lives.

You take it easy! You work way too hard!

I wanted to catch up but you know who just started fussing...
Well, my hairdresser was not there...maybe I had the wrong date but the whole place was closed! :mad:

:headache:That stinks! Now I'm thinking of Ellen :rotfl:
What kind of phone did you get? I'm still not great at using my IPhone. The aide Dawn just got one & she was asking what new things I learned on it. Well I was trying to redial to vote over & over for Chris on AI last night & SHE ended up having to help me! It's so sad

It is the Verizon version of the Blackberry Storm. I hate it! Yesterday Buddy called to see why I had called him. Ummmm, I did not call. Well, I did. I must "cheekdial" because apparently you can call one number while you are talking to another. I have called the lawnmower service, Buddy and several of the men who help us in the summer all the while talkign to someone else! :guilty:

Last week one of my cousins (yes, I was taken to task all day last Tuesday) told me that I needed to keep up with technology, all I needed was to look at teh directions and it would be easy. I showed her my phone and asked her for a lesson. Ummm.....not just me is inept........

Afternoon all! We actually saw the sun today. We had some more awful rain last night. Looks like we are going from monsoon to oven though. 90 degree weather in the forecast for tomorrow. Did I miss Spring?

I don't know if you all missed Spring but I think you sent your rain our way. It is pouring and thundering right now and is supposed to do this all day! You keep sending your weather our way so Spring is hiding in our area too.

I spoke to my MIL a little while ago & tomorrow morning she takes all her results to the Pulmonologist.

:wizard: for good news!

Becky (or anyone else who wants to take a stab at this) - Katie fell in love with Cornish pasties while we were in England last year. I've tried to make them, but regular pie pastry is not "hardy" enough. Have you had any experience with these? Any tips or ideas?

I have never had one of these but I wonder if the pastry from a Jamaican beef patty would work. It is a sturdy pastry but somehow is light and flakeyish at the same time.

This just makes me mad!

Dinner is going to be a pizza meatloaf, mashed potatoes and some sort of veggie. We had the beef caserole adn green beans last night.

Bethany- Bulgar is man's oldest recorded use of wheat. Bulgur is made by soaking and cooking the whole wheat kernel, drying it and then removing part of the bran and cracking the remaining kernel into small pieces.

Its uses are numerous from salads to soup, from breads to desserts. It is a nutritious extender and thickener for meat dishes and soups. Bulgur will absorb twice its volume in water and can be used in place of rice in any recipe.

Bulgur is convenient since it can be either soaked in water or cooked to be edible

I really don;t know what it si exactly, I buy Bob's Red Mill Bulgar and use it in everything. You really need to let it absorb whatever liquid you are using but it makes a great cold ssalad, a nice side adn is wonderful in casseroles or under chili. It is wicked good for you

Maria- I am so sad for all of you, when a child becomes a money source for the adults who care for her is it :sad1:. :hug: My heart breaks for this baby who is now going to be a financial football for the Aunt, and for you and Greg. You would welcome and love her and nurture her. :sad1:

Vickie- I am worried for you as well, you are making me nervous. I think that since Maria has an International plan we need to have her make that call! Please remember that if you take it easy now you may avoid an enforced rest period.

Good Morning!

UGH! I am so sick of rain...the good thing is, it held off long enough yesterday for Tom to finally cut the lawn. It looks like a beautiful green carpet. Now if it will stop so he can do the trim work...I would do it but I am not to be trusted with a week whacker!!! :rotfl:

I just had to share...I am so proud of myself...I did the treadmill already today!!! :cool1: This is the 4th time this week. I have cut back on eating but I am not 100% on track with that yet. Getting there...

OK, no more bragging...

Kathy, I am sorry that Kyle has such a rough time at Delgado but you should be proud of all the decisions that he has made to transfer to LSU. Have a wonderful lunch today!!!

Vickie, Please take care of yourself. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Maria, I am so sorry about the baby girl but I think you made the right decision. I pray your boys are here soon!!! How is everyone feeling?

Crap, I just lost my train of thought...it's probably this lullaby music coming from T's swing.

Ellen, So glad your baby is home!

Nancy, I got the LG Vu phone and I am constantly disconnecting, dialing wrong #s, etc. I cannot get used to it...that and not charging the darn thing enough. I am so bad with phones.

Ummm, the darn swing...

I am hoping my hairdresser calls today to tell me I had the wrong date. I usually go on a Thursday but I thought I switched it to Wed...I had Wed on my calendar...hmmm...

Andrew is supposed to have a game tonight so dinner will be quick...I took thin cut chicken out of the freezer so maybe chicken in a wine sauce over pasta with salad and broccoli.

Have a great day! I am sure I will pop in again.

I am glad about Kris too! I know alot of people like Adam but I just cannot get myself to like him...I hope Kris or Danny win!

I just had to share...I am so proud of myself...I did the treadmill already today!!! :cool1: This is the 4th time this week. I have cut back on eating but I am not 100% on track with that yet. Getting there...

:cheer2: I am so proud of you!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter