The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

I am so lost and don't think I have it in me to catch up right now...just wanted to pop in quickly.

Monique, Welcome!

Maria, My goodness...you have had such a hard time lately...please let me know if there is anything I can do. Prayers for you Greg, your Mom and Leona...:hug: I have an Aunt named Leona. We call her Noni for short.

Bethany, Gretchen, Aimee, and whoever else is under the weather, I pray that you feel better soon.

Love the Kady soccer story!

Ellen, Prayers for Jay!

I love hearing all the stories on the kiddie's pronunciations of words...too cute!

I know I have missed alot but that is all I could grasp at the moment...prayers for all of you!!! Have a great night!

Good Evening All! Just a quick flyby to check in. Buddy brought home two big bags of rolls so he had sandwiches for dinner. I had eggs and toast.

I checked earlier and am praying for my dear friends who need them.
Ellen Sorry I missed your post about Jay many hugs for you and for him :hug: I will add you all the list of prayers.

I am so sorry, Ellen. I must have missed something, is Jay okay?

Evening friends, A quick check in so I don't spend all day catching up!
We had shredded chicken soft tacos, with beans, spicy slaw, guacamole & the most important Margaritas on the rocks!

Thank goodness, I turned off the light early tonight & no termites crawling or flying around in the house.

It was a good day, I got a 2 hour nap in!
Glad the dentist was not awful. You have a wonderful attitude, which is great.
Those chickens from Sam's Club and BJ's are pretty darn good in a pinch!

Sheryl, FYI Kona has really good seaweed salad.

Sheryl, I can't believe Alexis was in swimming already. We need some of your weather up this way.

Glad you got a nap! :goodvibes Hope you & your little man get some sleep tonight.

Kona uh, another reason to head to WDW! :goodvibes

She was smimming, but she was cold! She was invited next door to play today, thank goodness because she was sneezing today & begging to swim on the way home from school.

:scared1: YUCK...somehow you all failed to mention this little tidbit about nola...:lmao:

A roach was crawling across my bed last night as I was on the phone. That was nice too. :headache:
Sorry we forgot that one! You won't get away from roaches down here either.

I hope you are feeling better this evening!

I am so lost and don't think I have it in me to catch up right now...just wanted to pop in quickly.

Don't worry about staying caught up, just check in often. Tee-Tom & A are much more important than we are! :goodvibes

Janice, Your chimichangas sound good!

Hope everyone is having a good evening!

Maria, :flower3:

Good morning ladies!

WFD - Pork tenderloin with pepper, onions and marinara over pasta, broccoli and garlic bread.

Good morning...I am all off today. woke up an hour late, A took a 2 minute shower and then off to the bus. i am now giving T a bottle.

dinner is on the run tonight. a and i are getting haircuts...i am getting highlights and pedicure too. then we have batting cage practice.

Sheryl, you guys are just as important as family...you guys are like my therapy. all of us here on the wfd have been through so much together. i really appreciate everyone understanding how busy i am now.

Glynis...how the heck do you do it? i cant get done around here!

Ann, hope your little one had a peaceful night and you all got some sleep.

hopa everyone is good today...I wish you all enough!

Good Morning!

Lauren, I agree with you...Glynis= Wonder Woman in my book! I cannot keep up with anything, not the house, not the DIS not cooking, not nothin'! and I only have Nola here. How she does all she does with 5 is beyond me. Don;t worry about keeping up, take care of your family. We all know that a little one takes up an enormous amount of time!

Sheryl- did you and Kathy "forget" a few details in order to scoop Bethany into your neck of the woods :rotfl:

Dinner TBD. I am not sure what I can make today, Marisa says we are going to WW tonight and I hear the book fair is tonight as well so I need something that can be made early adn eaten on the run.

I just decided..................Bulgar casserole! I love it....Buddy hates it but he will survive and it is wicked good for him. He told Donny he is on a diet and did not even know it....just forced to eat "cardboard" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Morning Y'all,

My morning started off with a stupid argument with Bob. Not a great way to start the day. Both of us mad about paying people uh relatives to do stuff around the house that we can't, but having to hold thier hands for the simplest of tasks! He didn't hear me tell him where the landscape lights were & that just set us both off fussing about it. :sad2:

Good morning...I am all off today. woke up an hour late, A took a 2 minute shower and then off to the bus. i am now giving T a bottle.

dinner is on the run tonight. a and i are getting haircuts...i am getting highlights and pedicure too. then we have batting cage practice.

Sheryl, you guys are just as important as family...you guys are like my therapy. all of us here on the wfd have been through so much together. i really appreciate everyone understanding how busy i am now.

Glynis...how the heck do you do it? i cant get done around here!

Ann, hope your little one had a peaceful night and you all got some sleep.

hopa everyone is good today...I wish you all enough!

Lauren, You are going to look so pretty! I think I'm going to get a pedi today. I'm off, Alexis WANTS to stay at after school care today! :confused3 What am I chopped liver? Honestly I do understand her wanting to play with the kids. Lauren I'm jealous of you getting your hair done today. I have an appt for next week, but might not be able to keep it, because I'm getting an injection the day before. I called this morning & left a message for my stylist to see if he has any cancellations. I just realized Mother's Day is this weekend and I look like h*&#!!

I understand how you feel about us, I feel the same, I just meant that we understand a new baby needs his Mommy the most! :goodvibes

Good Morning!

Lauren, I agree with you...Glynis= Wonder Woman in my book! I cannot keep up with anything, not the house, not the DIS not cooking, not nothin'! and I only have Nola here. How she does all she does with 5 is beyond me. Don;t worry about keeping up, take care of your family. We all know that a little one takes up an enormous amount of time!

Sheryl- did you and Kathy "forget" a few details in order to scoop Bethany into your neck of the woods :rotfl:

Dinner TBD. I am not sure what I can make today, Marisa says we are going to WW tonight and I hear the book fair is tonight as well so I need something that can be made early adn eaten on the run.

I just decided..................Bulgar casserole! I love it....Buddy hates it but he will survive and it is wicked good for him. He told Donny he is on a diet and did not even know it....just forced to eat "cardboard" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Nan, I agree I don't know how Glynis does it all & does it so well. My house is a mess, the laundry is scary backed up & with a day off today I really need to go do something for me, so I don't crack.

Yes I guess we might have forgotten to tell Bethany a couple of things! But it's too late now WE'VE got her! :laughing:

UH, Bethany you did mention the hurricanes & flooding right?? ;):laughing:

Nan, That poor hubby of yours, :lmao: putting him on the Cardboard Diet!

If I decide not to cook, we still have leftover shredded chicken from last night. Might turn all that into a taco salad.

I hope today finds everyone feeling better! Janice, Bethany, Ann got some sleep, Aimee got some sleep away from home, Maria had no more incidents... I know there is more I'm forgetting, so hoping all is well.

Sheryl- you did a much better recap than I could have....I just skipped it because I was too confused.

I get you with the morning squabbles! I hate that and that is when they all seem to occur. I am sleepy and Buddy is wanting to talk. He gets up at 3:30 so he is wide awake, I cannot even think so sometimes it gets:scared:

Take advantage of your day off and take care of you. The laundry is not going anywhere....just look in my house....I moved it into Marisa's old room. So much for an empty room :rolleyes1

I am having cell phone problems....I cannot learn how to use the darn thing so Gretchen.....I really am not stalking you.....I just cannot figure out the contact thing :flower3:

I am having cell phone problems....I cannot learn how to use the darn thing so Gretchen.....I really am not stalking you.....I just cannot figure out the contact thing :flower3:

SURE!! You are stalking her and you know it! Gretchen, be afraid of Nan. She is going to keep calling you until you put pineapple and raisins in your gravy:scared1:

Good morning :flower3:

WFD? I'm grilling ribeye steaks with my signature rub, baked potatoes and broccoli. Not sure about dessert yet. Today is DH's and my 14th anniversary. :bride::groom: Can't believe we made it this long without him taking a trip to the freezer. ;):laughing:

My morning started off with a stupid argument with Bob. Not a great way to start the day. Both of us mad about paying people uh relatives to do stuff around the house that we can't, but having to hold thier hands for the simplest of tasks! He didn't hear me tell him where the landscape lights were & that just set us both off fussing about it. :sad2:

:hug:

WFD? I'm grilling ribeye steaks with my signature rub, baked potatoes and broccoli. Not sure about dessert yet. Today is DH's and my 14th anniversary. :bride::groom: Can't believe we made it this long without him taking a trip to the freezer. ;):laughing:

Recipe for signature rub please?:flower3:

happy-anniversary-2.gif

Morning all, it's cold, grey, and dreary here- it must be spring.

Happy Anniversary Sandy, so what's in this rub of yours? Mine are nothing special so I'm always looking for ideas. Rib-eyes are my favorite, enjoy.

Nancy- My husband is always taking my phone and doing something to it, currently when I open it the screen says "you stink." I can't figure out how to get that off. Is your bulgar casserole recipe posted somewhere, I know you've made it a few times so it must be tasty.

Sheryl- We very rarely argue, and I can honestly stay it's always been about something stupid. We just go off grumbling in seperate directions until someone caves. I wonder what we'll do if we ever have something real to argue about.

Janice- Those chimichangas sound delicious, the kiddo wanted burritos soon but I think I will make those instead. I'm going to use cheddar too, or maybe pepperjack, I've never had velveeta and don't see a reason to try it now.

I hope today finds everyone feeling well. Find your owns for dinner tonight.

Recipe for signature rub please?:flower3:

happy-anniversary-2.gif
Thanks!

2 Tbsp. Kosher Sea Salt
1 Tbsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Celery Seeds
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg (freshly grated, not powdered)

:rotfl:

Happy Anniversary!

Here are pictures from last night. Since John nixed the margaritas, I made sangria. It was very fruity and light, and we have lots left for the rest of the week too!

3506622351_45a463e9f8.jpg

Then I made a sampler plate. Left to right, there is a cheese empanada, some yellow rice, guacamole, salsa, refried beans at the top, and quesadillas stuffed with roasted corn and carmelized onions:

3506622309_209706a7ce.jpg

Sheryl, my grocery store actually sells the seaweed salad already prepared. It's with the sushi.

Not sure WFD yet. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and might go to the fish store after.

Have a good day everyone!

Happy Anniversary Sandy, so what's in this rub of yours? Mine are nothing special so I'm always looking for ideas. Rib-eyes are my favorite, enjoy.
Thanks!

:rotfl:

Happy Anniversary!
Thank you!

Everything looks good, but cheese empanadas, YUM. I've been wanting to try making empanadas for the longest time.

Happy Anniversary! Good job with your freezer real estate.......I know some folks who need an extra freezer just for husbands ;)

Nancy- My husband is always taking my phone and doing something to it, currently when I open it the screen says "you stink." I can't figure out how to get that off. Is your bulgar casserole recipe posted somewhere, I know you've made it a few times so it must be tasty.

In our home it is Buddy who has the phone issues that he cannot control. Marisa put Supercalifragilistic for his ring tone. Imagine my big, burly "manly" man in an office filled with truck drivers trying to find his phone and shut if off all the while acting like Mary Poppins was normal for any guy to have as a ring tone :lmao: Another time Donny put a tone that screamed "RING. RING. RING RING.....RING! RING! RING! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Until he answered it. :rotfl: He never could shut the alarm off that Kim set to go off every day at 11 AM.

Here's the casserole. It is simple but very good and filling. It can be a CORE recipe for WW if you use veggie shreds or FF cheese. I never drain the tomatoes and I often add a little ketchup. Serve with salad and you have a good fast meal.

Beef and bulgur casserole
1.5 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 c uncooked bulgur
2 c water
3 TBS fresh or 1 TBS dried parsley
2 tsp beef bouillon granules
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c grated FF or soy parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook ground beef and onion in 10" skillet, stirring frequently,
until beef is brown; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Pour into ungreased
2.5 quart casserole. Cover and bake about 45 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Stir in
cheese. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired.

Serves 6

Wow, I had a lot to catch up on...I'll do my best!

I gave her a scrubber thing to scrub it out and of course the 5yo had to do it too. She went running upstairs all excited to tell her mother that she got to scrub the toilet. :rotfl:
:laughing:

The first time Jay was in Iraq Ethan was just a twinkle. It is so different this time for all of them.

It is amazing to me how resilient the kids are...I'm sure your daughter will find that with Ethan as well. She is the one who might need a break or a nice chat after Ethan is in bed. When the kids were littler, I missed having an adult to talk to at the end of the day.

:eek: on the termites and roach stories. Yuck.

i really appreciate everyone understanding how busy i am now.

I definitely understand. Having a newborn is wonderful, but I don't know how I survived.

He told Donny he is on a diet and did not even know it....just forced to eat "cardboard" :lmao::lmao::lmao:
:laughing:

SURE!! You are stalking her and you know it! Gretchen, be afraid of Nan. She is going to keep calling you until you put pineapple and raisins in your gravy:scared1:
:lmao:

Today is DH's and my 14th anniversary. :bride::groom:

Happy Anniversary!

I've never had velveeta and don't see a reason to try it now.

I use a small amount of it in my mac and cheese. It binds the cheeses together beautifully, so the sauce is smooth instead of grainy.

Sheryl -- Not a good way to start the day. When Greg is home, I tell him not to bother me too much until after my cup of tea. Until then, I am usually a grouch.

Maria -- I hope you are feeling better, and I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

I keep having to remind myself what day it is today...this has been a crazy week. Caili has skating this afternoon, but I do have time to cook something quick when we get home. I'm making pizza.

:rotfl::rotfl:
Nan, did I break your cell phone yesterday? I'm sorry if I couldn't shut up. I guess I needed to vent.

Lauren, we love you & your boys need you so we are here when you have time.....no worries:hug:

Sheryl, I hope the injection helps next week...thinking & praying for you always.

Ann~ how's the little man? If your having the weather we are I hope your snuggled in for the day.

Ellen~ I read back this morning & I apologize that I missed what was going on with you & your family. I truly apologize & please know your all in my prayers no matter what.

Bethany~ hoping your better:hug:

Vickie~ I didn't see a post so I hope your okay & feeling better

Leona had her PET scan yesterday, we haven't heard anything yet. They decided nothing invasive is going to be done until the doctors look at the PET scan so we are just waiting.

Greg is having a tough time in Boston & waiting for news. When I spoke to him at dinner time he said he was grabbing a bite at a local pub we used to frequent & head back to the hotel to do homework & then at 8 he called & said he was going to see the new Hugh Jackman movie so he's just not settled at all.
I on the other hand ate everything that wasn't nailed down. When I went on the scale this morning I couldn't believe the numbers:scared1:so much stress eating.
Not to sound like a Hallmark card or freak anyone out but I'm sitting here thinking what did I do before I found you ladies? Your a blessing in my life, during good times & bad & I thank you.

Wow, I need to start getting in here earlier. I had 2 pages to catch up on.

Oh ladies I am so excited - today is the day!! We go and pick Matthew up from college. I am so darn excited I couldn't sleep last night. We have really missed him. There is a picnic at 5, then an awards ceremony at 6:30. He texted me last night and said as SOON as it is over he wanted to leave. :cool1: He is all packed except for his refrigerator, microwave and printer that we will take in the pickup.

So as far as dinner tonight, it will be picnic fare at the College. Yipee I don't have to cook tonight.

Thanks for the well wishes for Jay. I really appreciate them. If you would please keep my little family in your thoughts, that would be great. This is his 2nd tour to Iraq - he is to be gone maybe 18 months.

Laura ~ I so agree with you about the adult conversation. I really hope to be like Ann's Parents and have them over for dinner a LOT. They don't have to stay, just eat and go. It is so hard to cook for 2 and I would love to have them as much as they want. Thanks!!

Sheryl ~ Termites :scared1: OMG I have never ever heard of these. We spray for them in our homes if needed but we NEVER see them. I can't imagine seeing them swarm. :eek: I hope your and Bob's day gets better. Doug and I rarely speak for the first hour we are up. I guess after 31 years of marriage we have learned a few things. :lmao:

Becky ~ your tuna looked amazing. You can cook for me anytime!!

Maria ~ :hug: for you :hug: and prayers for Leona and :hug:for your Mom. Goodness sweetie you need a break. Enough is ENOUGH!!

Aimee ~ how is your rescue dog you just placed, getting along? I was telling a friend about your resue work yesterday. You are a godsend to many.

Glynis ~ thanks for your well wishes for Jay. I so appreciate them. Keep 'em coming until he gets back home please.

Ann ~ are you rested up? How is you little one feeling?

Janice - thanks for the Chimi recipe. I am going to try those. Yum!!

Lauren ~ enjoy your pampering today. You so deserve it. You don't EVER need to apologize for being busy. You have a new little one and a busy family. Just let us know how you are doing and don't worry about us.

Nancy ~ I was just about to ask you for your recipe for the Buglar casserole and you posted it. Yea! Buddy just cracks me up :rotfl2: - cardboard diet. He must be a blast to live with. I love the ring tone of Super . . . I can just see him. That is something my kids would do to me.

Sandy ~ Happy Anniversary!!

I hope I remembered everything I wanted to say. Not one person has ever said I talked to much. NOT!! :rotfl2: I am a chatty Kathy in real life also.

Have a great day my friends and I will try to BBL.

I had bad news from Greg last night....

:hug:

Bigmerle- How do you make your lemon chicken? I have an okay recipe but it needs some help.

How did you make your lemon chicken?

I just put Panko bread crumbs on boneless chicken breast, browned it in olive oil and a little veggie oil (to keep the OO from burning) poured bottled lemon juice all over it, about a cup, turned down the heat and simmered with the lid on, turning occasionally for about ten minutes.

Merle ~ I have to share a cute story. Last year we were at the Flame Tree BBQ in AK having lunch, when Ethan (my GS) then 3, asked me if we could please go to "Apricot" (Epcot) now. Everyone around us burst out chuckling and ahhhhing. It was so cute.

That is too cute. :rotfl:

Dinner last night was pretty good but being catered food I now feel very salty and dehydrated! :sick: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter