• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Nasty, nasty weather today! It's pitch black outside.

Ann, I am sorry about your car. I feel your pain. John and I share a car because we commute to work via train. Our car used to be a hand me down that originated with my Dad, then went to my brother, then to us. By the time we got it, it was pretty well used up. We spent so much money on repairs, it was ridiculous. It seemed that every time we brought it to the mechanic it was $500! I think we paid more in repairs than we would have paid for a decent car! We finally broke down and got something new.

Lauri, I am glad that you passed your physical!

Lauren, congrats on the Springsteen tix!

Glynis, welcome back!

Here is a photo of last night's dinner. Orange-bourbon glazed grilled salmon and brown rice. It was yummy!

3609748292_1e686ea810.jpg

Tonight I think we are having sausage and pepper sandwiches.

Good morning! It's overcast and cool here. Perfect weather for weeding the garden. It seems that the weeds took over while we were gone. I managed to free our pepper bed yesterday, so today it will be the herb bed and the strawberries. Tomorrow I can get going on the tomatoes and squash. Yikes!

We had Aimee's orange beef last night and it was so wonderful! It will definitely go into permanent rotation!!!

Tonight will be some kind of chicken. Not sure if we'll grill or do something inside. Depends on the weather, I guess. If it rains, we'll stay inside. Sides will be corn and biscuits. I'm dying to try Lindsay's cream biscuits. Maybe today.

My camera battery is charged, and the pictures are uploading. I'll start on a TR today and hopefully have the first installment up this afternoon or evening. Gotta do it quick before this old brain forgets everything! You just have to keep in mind that DH did all the photography, so there are no pictures of food. He just doesn't get that! It's ok, though, since we didn't eat much on property. This was a true budget trip for us.

I'll BBL!

Another quick fly by...

Becky, can you please post that yummy salmn recipe? TIA!

Here is the pork kabobs that I made Sunday. Everyone loved them!

June7and82009001.jpg

Bacon-Wrapped Pork Kabobs
The smoky flavor of the bacon makes this dish a killer.
Serves six.

For the rub:
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

2 pork tenderloins, about 1 pound each, cut into 1-inch pieces

12 slices smoked bacon, thickly cut then halved

12 12-inch skewers soaked in water for one hour, for serving.

For the marinade:
½ cup Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon hot sauce

In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the rub. Add the pork pieces and toss gently to coat. Wrap a half-slice bacon around a piece of the pork and thread onto a skewer. Leaving a bit of room between each piece, continue until all the pieces of pork are skewered. Arrange the skewers on a large platter and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade and pour it over the kabobs. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for one hour or up to four hours. Prepare enough coals for a medium fire or set a gas grill to medium. Grill the kabobs over medium heat until they are cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

I thought I would share a recipe I came across. I know it is a little early but I was looking for drink recipes :rolleyes1

Key lime pie
Ingredients:
1/2 lime, cut into wedges
4 fluid ounces vodka
1 1/2 fluid ounces frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 twists lime zest, garnish

Directions:
1. Place the lime wedges in the bottom of a mixing glass and muddle them well. Cover with ice, and pour in vodka, lime juice, and vanilla. Shake well, then strain into two stemmed cocktail glasses. Garnish each with a twist of lime.

Some people suggested using vanilla vodka and riming the glasses finely crushed graham cracker crumbs and sugar.

I liked the Honda Fit best of all the ones I looked at. I knew that already but wanted to see one in person.

Jeff loved the Honda Fit, but in New England, it wouldnt be great in the snow, and also, we are not small people :rolleyes: So it would have been the Fat family in it... :rotfl2:

WFD- we went for a ride and ended up going to Applebees because we had a gift certificate. Not our favorite place but had to use the gift certificate and it got me out of cooking.:thumbsup2

Not going to be on long, I am tired.

You are so close! Just rest and relax!

Oh, and Liam's team won last night, 15-3. I guess the batting practice helped. :laughing:

:cool1:Congratulations!:cool1:

And I also thought you meant Marisa had been playing WW games....
Can you picture me running with a gun! Running is the funny part!:rotfl2:

It's Glacier Blue Metallic and I LOVE it!!

I have a black Honda Pilot. I JUST LOVE IT!!!

I passed my physical. Now I just have to wait 3 more months for school to start.

:cheer2:GREAT! Congratulations!:cool1:

The trip was WONDERFUL! I'm absolutely positive that my mom was looking after us. We were sprinkled with so much pixie dust! I'll put together a trip report and post it, if anyone is interested.

I cant wait to hear about your trip!

It is rainy and raw here so I think I may need to modify my original dinner plans. I thought that I would grill a sirloin steak and roast potatoes on the grill with onions but now I am regrouping. I am going to wait and see if it clears, if not I'll make a meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

I vote for meatloaf and mashed potatoes!

Good news! Marisa scored tickets to take Kady and a friend to see Miley Cyrus in concert! She had to join the fan club and of course there was a fee for that but then she was able to get the presale code. THe seats are not great but they are seats. I am going to check on saturday to see if we would have been better off waiting til then for seats, we were afraid that we would nto get them though, so :confused3.
I dont know who is more excited... Kady or ME!! I cant wait!!!

The mechanic said it is going to be $400-500 just for the parts alone.
He is a friend of Ron's from high school, so generally labor is not to bad. I still think it is going to be around $800.:eek:

That is why i hate cars. My Montero was so expensive to fix, and everything kept going wrong. The transmission was the last and then i traded it in for my Pilot. I LOVE IT! :love:

Nancy -- I'm not sure I would consider scoring Miley Cyrus tickets good news, but I am happy for Kady. ;)

I took Kady to the movie, and since then I totally love her! I listen to her CD all the time. I love her new song, and I cant wait for the concert. I think I will be more excited than Kady! :laughing:

Sorry if I missed anyone, but it is hard to catch up. I have been on the couch for a few days, and not going online at all!

I dislocated my knee cap playing the Wii. I now have a Wii Knee. ( also pronounced a weenie :rotfl2:) I was able to pop it back in and was better a few days later. But then i did something to it and it is killing me. I havent heard from the doctor yet. I will call after lunch if I dont hear anything by then. I dont want surgery, and whatever treatments cant come in the way of our mini meet on Sunday!

I will try to post pictures of Kady in her dance costume tonight. She was so cute!

Have a great day everyone. WFD? either meatloaf and mashed potatoes at Nan's or bulgur casserole at home.

:scared1:Ugh..........car issues...big $$$...my catalytic converter is gone!!!:scared1:

:hug:

I dislocated my knee cap playing the Wii. I now have a Wii Knee. ( also pronounced a weenie :rotfl2:) I was able to pop it back in and was better a few days later. But then i did something to it and it is killing me. I havent heard from the doctor yet. I will call after lunch if I dont hear anything by then. I dont want surgery, and whatever treatments cant come in the way of our mini meet on Sunday!

weenie.....:rotfl2: Praying no surgery will be needed.:hug:

I teach 1st this year. I had 2nd in after school, but that ended last week! So yes, it was my 1st graders playing spin the bottle.

I am cleaning some stuff and found a CD of kids songs. But it's kind of an odd collection. Jimmy Cracked Corn and the Crawdad Song, among others....they are now stuck in my head lol.

Gotta get back to work. Today is a half day of kids and a half work day...

Lauren – Thanks for the link, I’ve skimmed through and there seem to be some good ones there. And those pork kabobs look absolutely delicious. I’ve printed the recipe and will see if I can get Kenny to grill this weekend.

Kat – I’ve frozen the Mexican shells before, but I’ve never thought about freezing shrimp creole. That one is going on the must do list.

Glynis – Do you have to ask?!? Of course we would love a trip report. But don’t kill yourself. We’ll wait until you feel better.

Marilyn – The meatloaf suggestion sounds good. And my kiddos love meatloaf. Kenny not so much. But as I tell him, sometimes you just have to take one for the team.

Stephanie – Welcome to the F&W party!!!!! Glad to see you can make it.

Vickie – I think it is the thought that counts. And what a sweet guy! My husband leaves all of the planning to me.

Laura – Congrats to Liam and his team. And thanks for the chicken pot pie idea. Have you already shared the recipe? I’ve never made it.

Ann – I’m so sorry about your car. But I think you are for sure getting the friendship rate. It still stinks having to plunk out that much $$$$.

Nancy – Ooohhh, I know Kady has to be over the moon about the Miley Cyrus tickets. Amanda would just flip. Kenny and I on the other hand would be doing rock-scissors-paper to decide which one of us had to take her.

Janice – that key lime pie recipe looks fabulous. My sister is coming next week so I think she and I will have to give that a try.

Marisa – You just crack me up woman! I laughed over the fit comment but I howled over your weenie. My family, well actually just me, my Dad and my brother, are not small people either and when my Dad and my brother went to Scotland together several years ago the only rental cars were what we would consider to be compact or subcompact here. My brother joked that every time they opened the door it looked like a can of biscuits opening with them oozing out the doors.

Bethany – Oh my. Spin the bottle. I don’t know what to say.

I have no idea what I’m doing for dinner tonight. It will just be Hailey and me. Kenny has taken P &A to Carowinds for the day and won’t be home until late tonight.

Nancy – Ooohhh, I know Kady has to be over the moon about the Miley Cyrus tickets. Amanda would just flip. Kenny and I on the other hand would be doing rock-scissors-paper to decide which one of us had to take her.

Marisa – You just crack me up woman! I laughed over the fit comment but I howled over your weenie. My family, well actually just me, my Dad and my brother, are not small people either and when my Dad and my brother went to Scotland together several years ago the only rental cars were what we would consider to be compact or subcompact here. My brother joked that every time they opened the door it looked like a can of biscuits opening with them oozing out the doors.

Kady doesnt know about the tickets yet, but she is going to freak out!:woohoo:

When Jeff smashed up my Pilot in March, they gave me a Ford Focus. For "normal" people, thats fine, for us.... Not so much. We were so tight in there! I was fighting with Jeff over the arm rest because we both couldnt fit, it was horrible :scared1: Nan said she didnt have enough room, but as you know she is "normal" because she hit her WW goal :woohoo:

So the moral of the story is stay away from small cars if you are bigger... You just wont fit :mad:

I am also glad you liked my weenie story. It wasnt as funny when everyone was saying it out loud, but in this story it was funny:rotfl2:

I'm back.

I heard from the doctor and I have a torn meniscus. It is actually torn in a few spots as well as cartilage damage. They want to repair the tears and see what they can do with the cartilage because there are some broken pieces. They are going to do an arthroscopic surgery. So now I am freaking out! I just want this to feel better :sad1:

I'm back.

I heard from the doctor and I have a torn meniscus. It is actually torn in a few spots as well as cartilage damage. They want to repair the tears and see what they can do with the cartilage because there are some broken pieces. They are going to do an arthroscopic surgery. So now I am freaking out! I just want this to feel better :sad1:

Oh no!!!!! I'm so sorry you have to have surgery:hug:
Do they schedule a date yet?

My brother joked that every time they opened the door it looked like a can of biscuits opening with them oozing out the doors.
:lmao:

I'm back.

I'm so sorry to hear this my friend, have you scheduled it yet?:hug:

I'm so sorry to hear this my friend, have you scheduled it yet?:hug:

I go Monday morning at 9:30 for my consultation with the surgeon. I want to just do it and get it done with because I cant take this anymore. My knee doesnt bend more than 45 degrees so stairs are so hard, and I am just uncomfortable.

So I need to get moving on my menu that I will send to Nan. :rotfl2:

Hey Y'all,

We're Home! My sub to the thread was gone, I had to hunt to find y'all. :confused3

Marisa, I'm really sorry you've messed up your knee! Surgery!:sad1::hug: I'll be praying for a quick recovery!

We didn't return until last night! We were able to get another night at BCV on points!!! I've realized that I need to do less vacation planning and more praying! This vacation was wonderful!!!
We did have a few heavy showers but they were great for cooling things off & thinning out crowds. Since our only priority was doing the attractions Alexis wanted it worked out fine for us. The only park that had really long lines was MK, so we were able to get her rides in during extra magic evenings. We had some really wonderful meals!!! We weren't able to get anymore character meals, but Cinderella showed up at the Princess breakfast so Alexis was thrilled with that. We didn't make it to FF decided to hang in the parks a little longer & then hang at the pool. We did get lunch at Chefs de France! I had forgotten that Ratatouille now made an appearance there!!! Just that was worth it, we were totally surprised & y'all should have seen Alexis! The food was delicious too! We also had a fabulous meal at CG! Really good! Yachtsman was very good too & we also ate at the new Kidani Village rest. Sanaa. It is ground floor level with windows opening onto the Savannah. We saw zebras & giraffe actually running & playing, it was too cool. The food was a blend of Indian & African really yummy!

I haven't loaded in pictures yet. I'll try to do it soon. oh, Alexis was so good!! The child kept herself entertained in the car by singing. I don't think she whined once the whole trip. It was all just great!

I did rent a scooter after our 1st full day, should have done that right away! That did help a lot, but I have a whole new appreciation for DH & other's in a WC or scooter. People act like you're invisible!

I missed all of you! I haven't had a chance to read back yet, so I'll bbl.

Welcome back Sheryl!

I'm so glad the rain didn't interfere with a great vacation! Sounds like not planning may work, huh? Alexis is such a good girl behaving like a little princess for y'all. Can't wait to get details on the food!!!!! Glad to have you back, hopefully all of you are well rested.:hug:

Sheryl, Welcome Home, you were missed!

So glad you had a great trip!!! Can't wait to see the photos & the new restaurant at AKL sounds great!

I'm sure you made Alexis feel like a princess....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter