• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bskelly07 said:
Awesome! I'm glad it helped you out too :).

I'm so sorry about your injury :( best of luck seeing the surgeon. We are all thinking of you! :grouphug:

I won a pasta in the park ticket. It was actually funny, I came home pretty wastey faced after a halloween party and realized it was the 'next day'... So I figured what the heck, I'll see if I win. I sat in disbelief with how excited my computer screen was that I won. I woke up the next morning assuming I hallucinated it, but nope. I had an email saying they are mailing me some pamphlet about how to collect it.

Speaking of that, since I'm going solo, did anyone else do a pasta in the park ticket? If I end up going to it, I don't want to be a loner eating by myself! :worried:

That's flippin awesome!!!!!!! Congrats!!! I can't wait to tell DH your funny "wastey face" story hahaha!

Had the scheduled MRI and X rays today. I am totally out :(. I have a tibial plateau fracture. Ian scheduled to see any orthopedic surgeon in the morning.

I think that someone mentioned that it is possible to defer enrollment in a PHM to the next year. Anyone have any idea of how I might go about this?

Thanks!

Sad face. I'm so sorry. I hope you heal quickly.

Hi all! :wave2:

I made the mistake the other day in looking at the runDisney site and saw that the race wasn't sold out....:badpc:

Since then, visions of a coast-to-coast medal have been dancing in my head.....and so the convincing of the husband unit began. And I am victorious! Solo quest has begun! :thumbsup2:cool1:

I looked at page one and saw a few names I recognize. I just did the ToT as my first runDisney and am registered for the Tink 1/2 as well. I registered for the race tonight (after seeing that tomorrow/today is the last day to register for the lower price) and booked my airfare (on miles....woot!), but will deal with lodging tomorrow.

:goodvibeskim

WOOT! I'm doing Tink + Princess too. Welcome to the C2C crew!

AFM: It's like an IT Band Miracle! It doesn't hurt or pull or feel tight or ANYTHING today. WOOT!!!! I ran 5 miles on the treadmill on Sunday after taking a few days off running. I did the elliptical but that was all. Sunday I decided to test things out and see how it went.

I can't tell you how happy I am about this. But I don't want to spook it. ha ha ha. I'm going to stick with my elliptical plan though. I was afraid the 5 mile run was going to make or break me. Looks like I babied it enough over the past 2 weeks... yahoooo!

Still rolling, stretching, etc and babying it, but I am not so panicky today. :)

If I wasn't doing Tink, I'd take a little more time off. But since I am, I really don't have too much time to spare here. The 5 miles was supposed to be a 10 mile run according to my Tink plan, but I'm going to have to shift things around to make this happen safely.

:cool1: <--- Me!

I won a pasta in the park ticket. It was actually funny, I came home pretty wastey faced after a halloween party and realized it was the 'next day'... So I figured what the heck, I'll see if I win. I sat in disbelief with how excited my computer screen was that I won. I woke up the next morning assuming I hallucinated it, but nope. I had an email saying they are mailing me some pamphlet about how to collect it.

Speaking of that, since I'm going solo, did anyone else do a pasta in the park ticket? If I end up going to it, I don't want to be a loner eating by myself! :worried:
That's awesome!!! Congrats!!:cool1:
Still nothing here. Any other winners from DIS? :)

Had the scheduled MRI and X rays today. I am totally out :(. I have a tibial plateau fracture. Ian scheduled to see any orthopedic surgeon in the morning.

I think that someone mentioned that it is possible to defer enrollment in a PHM to the next year. Anyone have any idea of how I might go about this?

Thanks!

So sorry to hear this. How disappointing :( I have an MRI scheduled for Friday and won't get the results until next week. Mine would be be a tibial shaft fracture though. Let us know what they say about needing to defer. I hope I won't need to do that but just in case...

Hi all! :wave2:

I made the mistake the other day in looking at the runDisney site and saw that the race wasn't sold out....:badpc:

Since then, visions of a coast-to-coast medal have been dancing in my head.....and so the convincing of the husband unit began. And I am victorious! Solo quest has begun! :thumbsup2:cool1:

I looked at page one and saw a few names I recognize. I just did the ToT as my first runDisney and am registered for the Tink 1/2 as well. I registered for the race tonight (after seeing that tomorrow/today is the last day to register for the lower price) and booked my airfare (on miles....woot!), but will deal with lodging tomorrow.

:goodvibeskim

Kim!!! I'm so glad to see you here! :cheer2: We definitely need to meet up and have a grey goose slushie ;)

Before I dig in, let me say that I've read the last few pages and I'm thrilled for all who are doing so well in their training - keep it up and congrats! :woohoo::yay::cheer2:

Me? I'm having a big ol' injury pity party today. :headache:

I went to a sports med/PT place today for a screening and he said I'm not the worst he's seen but would definitely benefit from some PT. He says I need at least 2 weeks of PT before I should even think about running again but if I progress as he suspects, by 4 weeks I should be able to start training back up to where I was and no problem with a half in Feb.
Fantastic news!!!

He's a barefoot runner and does NOT think my Vibrams are the absolute cause of all things evil in this world and told me we will work with both shoes and see what happens. :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo:
I've been doing a ton of ITBS research and have come to the conclusion that, while stability shoes may not have directly caused my ITBS, they sure aren't helping it get better. My chiro agrees. I got refitted for the Brooks PureFlow that I liked so much but felt a little "off"... turns out I needed a half-size smaller. I also grabbed a pair of Nike Free Runs because they felt so nice. In both cases, I immediately felt a reduction in torque and tension in my leg from hip through upper foot compared to running in a high-drop stability shoe.

I am so, so sorry. :hug::hug::hug:

AFM: It's like an IT Band Miracle! It doesn't hurt or pull or feel tight or ANYTHING today. WOOT!!!!
HOORAY!!!! I am deliriously happy for you! So... what'd you do and how can I replicate it?! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, longhorns gave me some renewed hope (thank you!), but I've been waaaay low for the past few days. The Jingle Jungle 5K did me in; I could barely walk at all for hours afterward and only ran less than half of it at that. :sad2: Interestingly, I took 2 Aleve, then had a martini with diner an hour or so later... after dinner, the pain was GONE, vanished, just like magic! But I'm pretty sure 2 Aleves and a cocktail isn't a great pre-race strategy... :rolleyes:

Saw my chiropractor again yesterday: she said my ITB/glute/hip area feels much looser (I agree), but I've got a lot of inflammation around my knee still - more time off for that to go down. I told her about some new pain I had during and after the race, closer to my patella, and it looks like I've got some slight meniscus tearing, too, which is adding to the inflammation. Great. :headache: She did some electro-therapy to speed healing.

So I'll continue to roll, stretch and find something to do that doesn't involve bending my knee or impact (?????) and see her again Fri. Sat., we go to WDW for a week, where I'm to wear a brace, keep taking anti-inflammatories, and limit my walking time... :lmao:

Ugh! So sorry for all the princesses dealing with injuries. :-(

As for me, after I ran my last race Halloween weekend, I decide to take 2 weeks off before training for Princess. In the meantime, I also signed up for a full marathon in May. But, after takin those 2 week off, I can't get my butt in gear. I am so scared to get further delayed from marathon training, but yet I'm just not feeling it. :-/. I think it's the time change/darkness.

Princesses...I'm looking for a running jacket with hoodie, (a must) that will hold up in the rain. Any suggestions ??? I'm not having much luck looking online.
Thanks

I love my Nike running jacket. I just looked on nike.com and don't see the exact one I got, but there is one called the element thermal that appears to be similar. I haven't tested mine in the rain too much, but I was wearing it while running after one of our rare GA snows and I was plenty warm.

It's good to hear people who like them. I am so used to people telling me they are awful and bad and absolutely the cause of my problems no matter what. I walk on my toes and always have so they are the perfect fit for me. They did fine for me all along and then when this happened, everyone said "See! It just took time, but I told you so!" :worried: :(

I go back and forth on these. My initial thought was, "those can't be good for you" but then you see how popular they are and think, "well, clearly somebody is doing okay in them!" I do often wonder how much my stability shoes (I DEF. way overpronate on one side) may have contrib. to my shin issues, but I think in my case my need to curb the overpronation outweighs any other minimal effects.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry! But just contact RunDisney and they will be able to get you in the system as deferred.

Fun! Well, it's nice to hear that someone here got something! Maybe you were just sending out the party vibes!

Before I dig in, let me say that I've read the last few pages and I'm thrilled for all who are doing so well in their training - keep it up and congrats! :woohoo::yay::cheer2:

But I'm pretty sure 2 Aleves and a cocktail isn't a great pre-race strategy... :rolleyes:

So sorry that you are going through all this. When I went through shinsplints and weeks of PT, I was frustrated as hell when I got the all-clear, started running again, and the shins started hurting again. My PT never really got to the root of WHY I was getting the shin splints, just worked on healing them. It wasn't until I taught myself a very different form that I ended up ditching the shin pain. On longer or hilly runs, I still come home and ice or wear the compression sleeve, but it's a lot better. I know my local running store periodically does "Good Form" clinics where they analyze you while you are running and give suggestions for things you could change that might help your injury issues. Might be worth a glance to see if anyone around you does something like that! Oh - and the aleve / martini thing would be better for the TOT or W&D; might be a little hard to choke down at 3:30am for the Princess!!!

Awesome! I'm glad it helped you out too :).

I'm so sorry about your injury :( best of luck seeing the surgeon. We are all thinking of you! :grouphug:

OMG. I didn't hear about this until now...and only a week left! That's what I get for not checking in with y'all with my precious little internet time in Uganda! :sad2:

I think I asked this question a long time ago, but lots of new people are on the thread now, so I'll post again.

Has anyone stayed at the Poly before with their family watching? It looks as though the route map passes by the resort twice. Suggestions for viewing locations?

Thank you.

Congrats to our wastey faced winner! I'm so stealing that phrase! lol! I can't enter the contest because you have to be in the US. Pooh on them. I want to enter but no princess castle for me.

I am running Tink to for my C2C but I don't think I'm on the "official" first page list here unless I can't read. Which is sadly possible. LOL!

I'm having trouble with injuries too although I've been in denial and just ignoring it but my right hip is so bad I can barely put any weight on it. Not sure what to do as I can barely walk. :worried:

Oh well - tiaras up everyone - 100 days to go!!!!

Thanks!

Soooo sorry to hear about your fracture...sending pixie dust your way for a quick healing.

Congrats to our wastey faced winner! I'm so stealing that phrase! lol! I can't enter the contest because you have to be in the US. Pooh on them. I want to enter but no princess castle for me.

I am running Tink to for my C2C but I don't think I'm on the "official" first page list here unless I can't read. Which is sadly possible. LOL!

I'm having trouble with injuries too although I've been in denial and just ignoring it but my right hip is so bad I can barely put any weight on it. Not sure what to do as I can barely walk. :worried:

Please, please don't ignore this! Go see your doctor and figure out what is going on. Your body is screaming and you will only compound your injury if you don't listen to it.

I wonder if I had gone when I first felt pain if I could have prevented the fracture that I now have. I was pretty much unable to walk without limping, for a week, and continued to think it was a pulled muscle and even went to the gym and ran three times!

Best of luck working through what is going on. I hope you find that a little backing off and rest will do the trick;)

I think I asked this question a long time ago, but lots of new people are on the thread now, so I'll post again.

Has anyone stayed at the Poly before with their family watching? It looks as though the route map passes by the resort twice. Suggestions for viewing locations?

Thank you.

I have not stayed at the Poly, but have run the race four times and it doesn't pass right in front, but after the MK it does come close. If you walked out the front door of the Poly through the parking lot and turned left you would be close. Hopefully some one has some better info will help out.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! The support is terrific and means a lot.

I went to the orthopedic surgeon today and the news was better than I anticipated. The MRI revealed a 2.5-3.5cm stable non-displaced medial tibial condyle fracture and Chondromalacia Patella (or runners knee) but there are no tears in my meniscus or ACL :woohoo:

Because the fracture is stable and non-displaced surgery is not required :dance3: I do have to wear a knee immobilizing brace and cannot put any weight on my right leg for 6-12 weeks...so I am stuck limping around on crutches. I also cannot drive for 6-12 weeks:sad1: Poor DH is going to be sick of play chauffeur before this is all over.

We are scheduled to take the entire family (13 of us!) to Disney for a week in early Dec. DH wanted to postpone the trip last night but I begged him to wait until after today's appointment - don't want to give up a Grand Villa at Bay Lake unless I absolutely must:rolleyes1. The doctor doesn't think Disney is out as long as I rent an ECV and stay off the leg. So now to find a place to rent an ECV....

I did email Run Disney but have not heard anything from them yet. Maybe another day or two and then I will call.

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts. I will still be going to the PHMas DS and nieces are running but I will now be part of the ChearSquad:cheer2::cheer2: and not running.

Hope everyone else stays healthy and has a great PHM.

Haha I'm glad my personal lingo is of some entertainment for you guys :goodvibes! I thought that was sad that people in Canada couldn't enter to win... I think that's lame! I guess maybe they didn't want to pay for an international flight...?? Regardless, boo! No fair! If any of us win, I'm sure you can come visit in the suite :)

Is the hip pain you have a pinching pain? I was having that with my right hip when I was running, I was gimping around whenever I walked. I looked up stretches to figure out if that may help. I stretch my hip EVERY time I run now. Before a little, and after a LOT. It definitely has helped and worked for me.. But I agree with the cindy0519, don't ignore your body! You don't want to further damage anything :(

bskelly07 said:
Haha I'm glad my personal lingo is of some entertainment for you guys :goodvibes! I thought that was sad that people in Canada couldn't enter to win... I think that's lame! I guess maybe they didn't want to pay for an international flight...?? Regardless, boo! No fair! If any of us win, I'm sure you can come visit in the suite :)

Is the hip pain you have a pinching pain? I was having that with my right hip when I was running, I was gimping around whenever I walked. I looked up stretches to figure out if that may help. I stretch my hip EVERY time I run now. Before a little, and after a LOT. It definitely has helped and worked for me.. But I agree with the cindy0519, don't ignore your body! You don't want to further damage anything :(

What part of your hip was pinching that you were able to find a stretch for? Mine kills me sometimes on the inside though...I imagine its somewhere in the area where the hip and the pelvis meet in the front. One step, and out of no where BAM! Takes my breath away it hurts so bad. If your was the same area, could you share what stretches you do for it or point me to a website that might illustrate some? I can't seem to figure out any that work. My trainer has recommended myofacia release massage a few times....I think that was what it was called....but the lady she recommends is really expensive, way far away from me, and has availability that doesn't mesh well with mine, so I haven't tried it yet.

Fantastic news!!!

I've been doing a ton of ITBS research and have come to the conclusion that, while stability shoes may not have directly caused my ITBS, they sure aren't helping it get better. My chiro agrees. I got refitted for the Brooks PureFlow that I liked so much but felt a little "off"... turns out I needed a half-size smaller. I also grabbed a pair of Nike Free Runs because they felt so nice. In both cases, I immediately felt a reduction in torque and tension in my leg from hip through upper foot compared to running in a high-drop stability shoe.

I am so, so sorry. :hug::hug::hug:

HOORAY!!!! I am deliriously happy for you! So... what'd you do and how can I replicate it?! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, longhorns gave me some renewed hope (thank you!), but I've been waaaay low for the past few days. The Jingle Jungle 5K did me in; I could barely walk at all for hours afterward and only ran less than half of it at that. :sad2: Interestingly, I took 2 Aleve, then had a martini with diner an hour or so later... after dinner, the pain was GONE, vanished, just like magic! But I'm pretty sure 2 Aleves and a cocktail isn't a great pre-race strategy... :rolleyes:

Saw my chiropractor again yesterday: she said my ITB/glute/hip area feels much looser (I agree), but I've got a lot of inflammation around my knee still - more time off for that to go down. I told her about some new pain I had during and after the race, closer to my patella, and it looks like I've got some slight meniscus tearing, too, which is adding to the inflammation. Great. :headache: She did some electro-therapy to speed healing.

So I'll continue to roll, stretch and find something to do that doesn't involve bending my knee or impact (?????) and see her again Fri. Sat., we go to WDW for a week, where I'm to wear a brace, keep taking anti-inflammatories, and limit my walking time... :lmao:

This sounds a little wacky...but have you tried water aerobics ? I taught water aerobics for years and had several ladies who did the class because they needed non-impact exercise. You can get some amazing toning from the resistance and little to no impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter