The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by TinyDancer, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinyDancer

TinyDancer DIS Veteran

Hello everyone!!

Here is a bit of info that we have as of now.

February 22 - 24, 2013
    Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend
    Registration for the Princess Half begins July 10th, 2012.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/princess-half-marathon/

FB group

http://www.facebook.com/groups/249640615143957/

If you are planning on running, let me know, and I'll put your name on the roster! :banana:

VickiHD
    Fluffy_Princess
    TinyDancer
    daisy112878
    HockeyKat
    debbieandroo
    happybaker
    tinkeramy
    saysay
    french lady
    MaMa3Princes
    CRUIZIN MAMMA
    rizzobob
    WsPrincess
    ColleenG
    longhorns2
    connersarah1
    Barefoot Princess
    Lynn5700
    rapunzelruns
    amykay9377
    LuLuO
    PrincessV
    BelleDreamer
    mroa1031
    ssdeverell
    princessnpirate
    TaffieDoll
    amingione
    moparop
    gudrench3
    Cripey
    AmberHeartsDisney
    jodipaige2004
    TiggerFan3590
    dsnyfan21
    HappyMom2
    fashionista311
    becky11
    aly0430
    aggielawyer
    happybaker
    DIS-OH
    brock201
    fsubigdogs
    jockey
    Cantwaitvaca09
    icicle
    HealthyAmber
    ellajeansmom
    miztigg
    annabanana
    cimrk0101
    Craftydawn
    tinkerbye
    celestial63
    WeRunDisney
    MamaSmurf227
    CourtneykidOT
    Mommy to two Princes
    mommyof2princesses
    Gryhndmom
    FigmentMom
    niclodn
    NC State
    2shortpeopleruleme
    svwkirby
    Fabulousmommy
    HomeSchoolMama
    FlowerInAdversity
    bellanotte10
    thbath77
    DeerIsleDisney
    mroa1031
    TeacupDemon
    musclemouse
    TinkLovinMama
    mnosky
    tinkerbellfriend
    Tfaze
    mindystar
    magickingdom
    mana'olana
    Gina15
    danielleyoung0
    Christie Lee
    thebr0kenwriter
    Heatherann1015
    Stitch Pelekai
    My4men
    Nishmom
    SuperHappyFunTimes
    Sojas3
    JenNel85
    Acourtwdw
    Rani8600
    Skx1122
    Sau418
    Ncsjodi
    Uccats97
    The_princess
    Zuzu
    Christinascreative

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TinyDancer

TinyDancer DIS Veteran

I'm going with a group of 8-10 women.. my family & friends! I'm very excited, and this will be a first half marathon for all of us involved.
    I can't wait to hear advice & tips from everyone! :cool1:

4. VickiHD

VickiHD DIS Veteran

I'm in and this will be my first 1/2 at WDW.

After I finish the Princess 1/2 I will get my Coast to Coast medal.

5. Fluffy Princess

Fluffy Princess Earning My Ears

I plan on running. Will be my first half

6. freepixie

freepixie <font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>

Hi Princesses! I just ran the Princess 2012, unfortunatly will not be doing the Princess 2013 (financially), hopefully I will be able to do another Princess someday! Just want to check in, offer any help, and cheer you powerful women on!! Princesses rock!!:thumbsup2

7. daisy112878

daisy112878 DIS Veteran

I will be there! I had to defer my 2012 registration so I'm already registered and ready to go. I can't wait

8. HockeyKat

HockeyKat DIS Veteran

I'm in!

This will be my 4th Princess, and who knows how many overall. Princess 2012 was #9. :)

9. debbieandroo

debbieandroo DIS Veteran

I'm in, hoping to walk. This will be my first WDW half marathon but hopefully not my last.

10. HockeyKat

HockeyKat DIS Veteran

You can do it!! You have almost a year to train. :goodvibes

What is your strategy?

I have walked three Princesses. The first (2010) I trained to walk, the 2nd and 3rd I walked due to late fall injuries.

As long as you train to a 15 min mile, you will be fine. Also, I recommend putting no more than 3hrs as a finish time when you register so that you have a little bit of corral cushion. Make sure that your longest walk is at least 10-12 miles, and happens about 3-4 weeks before the race. It will help make sure that your feet are ready.

I'm a member/leader in the local Galloway training program here, and this will be my 3rd year with the program, so let me know if you need any help!!

11. happybaker

happybaker Mouseketeer

I'm in and will probably be running alone. It will also be my first half marathon, but I plan on going Coast to Coast next year. I did start training for last year's Princess in September, but just when I was about to register in November my friend backed out of the trip and I couldn't afford to swing the trip alone financially. This year I'm going no matter what!

Holly

12. TinyDancer

TinyDancer DIS Veteran

Nice!!

First for me too :thumbsup2

Thanks! Here is a question, do you recommend getting the race retreat? Also.. does anyone know how much it costs?

Great! :banana:

Wow!! That's amazing.. and this sounds like it could be addictive...

I will be walking some :thumbsup2

That stinks but I'm glad you are going this year! I can't wait!

13. TinyDancer

TinyDancer DIS Veteran

I have a couple questions ;)
    If you put a finish time of 3 hours, which corral would you be placed in?

What does your training look like with Galloway? I've been using the JG Easy 10k app on my phone, and I'm not sure that I am using it correctly. Right now I'm doing a 4 min run / 1 min walk interval, and running between 12-14 minute miles. I'm on week 8 of the app program.

14. freepixie

freepixie <font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>

ABSOLUTELY get the Race Retreat!! It was worth every penny!! I swear to goodness, it was so nice to get inside a nice warm tent in the morning cause it was cold out there at 3:00 AM!! And afterwards it was rainy and chilly, it was nice to be inside and in a beautiful place!!

The best part was the private port-a-potties, never waited for one, there were so many and so few of us using them, there was always one available, that right there is worth it when the rest of the potties have lines about 20 people deep :scared1:

They had Tink and the fairies out for meet-and-greets before and after the race which was awesome!!

Also afterwards the breakfast was NICE :goodvibes I really wish I could have eaten more, but my tummy was a little flipped at that point lol! And the post-race coctail was nice too - they had 3 options: Bloody Mary, Mimosa and Hibiscus - I got the Hibiscus, it was a sweet drink and I really enjoyed it!

It was pricey - I think it was over $100?? I can't remember but it was definately worth it, and I would never dream of doing the Princess again without it lol!!

My only regret... I wish I would have taken more pictures in there lol!!!

15. tinkeramy

tinkeramy DIS Veteran

As far as I know, I'm in for next year! Julie & I are already encouraging a brand new runner friend who has her goal as next year's Princess, and we have another friend who is really wanting to do it, too. Have already started the fund! I was such a mess in Februrary, stressing out about funding the weekend that I resolved to start saving NOW and have a great surplus of "fun" money. If y'all have any budget questions, I did a blog post on how much the weekend cost me - you can maybe get a ballpark of what you need to set aside. Blog address is in the signature. I'm determined to have a great time, eat, drink, shop & be merry, all without extreme guilt over how much it's costing my family!:thumbsup2

16. saysay

saysay DIS Veteran

Hi Princesses! I am in for Princess #3! I can't wait. Would LOVE to go for C2C, with the DL 1/2...we will see......

Happy Training......

Julie

17. debbieandroo

debbieandroo DIS Veteran

:hug: You're so sweet - I need all the help I can get...still can't believe I'm doing this!

My strategy is as follows:

I just started keeping track of my miles/pace in January...with my short, squat legs and my short/squat body, I was only walking about 19-20 min per mile for 3-4 miles. Now, I can manage 16-18 min mile for 3-5 miles....so, some improvement but I definitely have a long way to go.

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May, my first 5K. I started the C2K program in February. I was doing the running but at such a slow pace and for a pretty short distance that I changed to doing more of the Galloway method. Right now, I am running/walking at 1:00/1:00 intervals for 3 miles...still super duper slow but a whole faster than I would be if I was sitting on the couch, right :).

Whew...anywho...for the Princess, I hope to get to a base of 8 mile walks [once per week] and work steadily on getting my time down. I'll cross train by riding my bike and keeping up with the run/walk intervals.

There are two half-marathons in my city this fall - October and December. Both of them are walker friendly so I'm planning to sign up for those to get used to all of those people being around me. Also, in the fall, I'll be getting up to 10-12 mile walks [every two weeks] so hope to be ready for the Princess in February.

How does that sound? Please don't hesitate to give me some tips. And my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, especially during our horribly humid summer months - I really hope I can keep this up.

You had me at 'private port-a-potties' - sign me up!!!!!!!!!!

18. HockeyKat

HockeyKat DIS Veteran

3 hours will get you in E or F, or at least seemed to this year. You can also put down 2:46 (fastest you can put without proof of time) and you'll probably get D.

I am in the 12:30 Galloway pace group and I do 1:30 min run, 1 min walk. I do two short runs per week, usually 2-3 miles, at a 12-13 min pace (going to work on getting that closer to 11 this year!), then the long run at a 14-14:30 pace, adding time in for heat. I live in NC, so heat is a big factor in summer training and we trained sometimes as slow as 15-16 min miles when it got into the upper 80s before 9AM.

Last year I followed that exact formula from May - Nov, working up to long runs around 15-16 miles, and my PR at a Nov race was 2:44.

FWIW, I am a good 50-70 lbs overweight (was 215 at 5'8" for the race above), and I will be 37 this year.

That sounds like a GREAT plan!! Good to get a few races in to get used to it and see how it feels.

1/1 is a good interval for your level, and if you like it I would stick with it. Galloway recommends 2 short run/walks and a long each week, and I have found that to be best for me as well.

19. french lady

french lady Mouseketeer

Good evening,
    This will be my first Princess but not my first half. I did the Donald in January 2010 in the freezing rain and I did the Wine and Dine last fall. I will be travelling solo for the race.

About the Race retreat, I must say that in January 2010, I was very pleased to be inside waiting for the start instead than outside in the rain. So as soon that it is available, I will register for the race retreat.

I am now training for a half at the end of May and did a 12k this morning on the bike trail. Last year, I've started running on the trail at the end of April because of all the snow. I must say, not a lot of snow this winter.
    Diane

20. MaMa3Princess

MaMa3Princess I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous m

I am in!! That was way to much fun!!! I think I will ask for the race retreat for Christmas this year. This was my first half and if the Lord blesses I want to do it again!!

21. VickiHD

VickiHD DIS Veteran

You could do the Tinker Bell 1/2 in Jan and then the Princess and get your
    C2C that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.