The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
jahber said:
Hey, ya'll! I just signed up today for the Princess Half! I can't believe it. It's my first long race and I'm nervous....but it's too late to back out now!

A friend from high school (which was almost 20 years ago!) just competed the Ironman FL, which inspired me. He finished just 54 seconds ahead of the sag wagon, but I was so thrilled for him and his accomplishment that I decided to run this half even if I, too, finish with less than a minute to spare! Here's hoping I have a little more leeway than that :rotfl2:

I'm running alone because none of my pretty princess friends will run with me. 99 days to go! :scared1:

I'm right there with you. I have been training since wary October but I finally registered last night and booked our flights!!!

cindy0519 said:
Thanks everyone for your kind words! The support is terrific and means a lot.

I went to the orthopedic surgeon today and the news was better than I anticipated. The MRI revealed a 2.5-3.5cm stable non-displaced medial tibial condyle fracture and Chondromalacia Patella (or runners knee) but there are no tears in my meniscus or ACL :woohoo:

Because the fracture is stable and non-displaced surgery is not required :dance3: I do have to wear a knee immobilizing brace and cannot put any weight on my right leg for 6-12 weeks...so I am stuck limping around on crutches. I also cannot drive for 6-12 weeks:sad1: Poor DH is going to be sick of play chauffeur before this is all over.

We are scheduled to take the entire family (13 of us!) to Disney for a week in early Dec. DH wanted to postpone the trip last night but I begged him to wait until after today's appointment - don't want to give up a Grand Villa at Bay Lake unless I absolutely must:rolleyes1. The doctor doesn't think Disney is out as long as I rent an ECV and stay off the leg. So now to find a place to rent an ECV....

I did email Run Disney but have not heard anything from them yet. Maybe another day or two and then I will call.

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts. I will still be going to the PHMas DS and nieces are running but I will now be part of the ChearSquad:cheer2::cheer2: and not running.

Hope everyone else stays healthy and has a great PHM.

I am so sorry :(
That just sucks really bad.

cindy0519 said:
Thanks everyone for your kind words! The support is terrific and means a lot.

I went to the orthopedic surgeon today and the news was better than I anticipated. The MRI revealed a 2.5-3.5cm stable non-displaced medial tibial condyle fracture and Chondromalacia Patella (or runners knee) but there are no tears in my meniscus or ACL :woohoo:

Because the fracture is stable and non-displaced surgery is not required :dance3: I do have to wear a knee immobilizing brace and cannot put any weight on my right leg for 6-12 weeks...so I am stuck limping around on crutches. I also cannot drive for 6-12 weeks:sad1: Poor DH is going to be sick of play chauffeur before this is all over.

We are scheduled to take the entire family (13 of us!) to Disney for a week in early Dec. DH wanted to postpone the trip last night but I begged him to wait until after today's appointment - don't want to give up a Grand Villa at Bay Lake unless I absolutely must:rolleyes1. The doctor doesn't think Disney is out as long as I rent an ECV and stay off the leg. So now to find a place to rent an ECV....

I did email Run Disney but have not heard anything from them yet. Maybe another day or two and then I will call.

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts. I will still be going to the PHMas DS and nieces are running but I will now be part of the ChearSquad:cheer2::cheer2: and not running.

Hope everyone else stays healthy and has a great PHM.

So sorry to hear, but I'm sure you will have a great time in December at Disney, its always my favorite time to go. I fou d this on the dis for you about renting evc

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/electric-scooter.htm

I've got a 5k Friday- night run thru Dollywood with the Christmas lights on- and I'm sick. :( I'm just really achey and don't have any energy. No stomach problems. No sinus or breathing problems. If I don't feel better Friday, how bad of an idea would it be to take some advil and caffeine and run it anyway?

I've got a 5k Friday- night run thru Dollywood with the Christmas lights on- and I'm sick. :( I'm just really achey and don't have any energy. No stomach problems. No sinus or breathing problems. If I don't feel better Friday, how bad of an idea would it be to take some advil and caffeine and run it anyway?

I am so sorry that you are sick before your race. Do you have a fever ??
I would not run if you had one. Maybe your symptoms will be better by Friday and you could do it.

I've only run once while sick. I did the DL 1/2 marathon in Sept with a horrible head and chest cold and it was not fun. I felt I could at least try since I had no fever but I was not a happy runner but did finish.

Sending quick get well wishes your way !!!!

Well I bit the bullet and signed up for this race last night before the price increase. I've been thinking about it and thinking about it, and I decided I really want to do another Disney race. I ran the Tower of Terror 10 miler in September, and unlike a lot of the other participants, I LOVED it. :lovestruc It was my first race, and everyone said I would get addicted-- it wasn't a lie. I was so nervous right up until the start even though I had trained so carefully, and the minute it was over I was so sad that it was! My sister joked that I was only happy for the two hours I was running. Not quite, I also loved the afterparty and the rest of our vacation.

The only thing is that there is a half marathon the WEEK before the princess down here in Fort Lauderdale that I really want to run also. I think if I train well it shouldn't be a problem, I hope! I started training for the Princess two weeks ago, so far I'm on track and loving the cool fall weather versus the long hot summer we had. :cool2:

I ran in costume for the TOT, so I definitely want to do it again, I just can't decide exactly what yet.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I love reading everyone's posts and words of encouragement. This forum is very inspirational for me!!! I will be running the Princess Half, and it will be my first race. Two questions, does anyone know if Shades of Green provides transportation to the race? My second question is, can I change my estimated finish time with Run Disney? I'm thinking I will finish in about 3 hours instead of 3:30. Thanks everyone!!

I'm so excited! I got my plane tickets today. I fly in the Friday before and fly out the Friday after the race. A week of me and 3 girlfriends. I haven't really trained but I did manage to run an 8k this past weekend (with an upper respiratory infection) in 61 minutes.

Princesses! This is a SUPER off topic post, but we've discussed other races on here, so I figure to take my chances with this one.

Nike Women is hosting an inaugural half marathon in DC on April 28th. I was signed up and chosen to compete in the San Francisco half this past October, but the girls I was supposed to go with - one friendship unfortunately fell apart, one found out she had a heart condition during training, and the other ended up getting pregnant! I couldn't justify spending 1500 dollars on airfare and hotels to go. It's eaten me up inside, because I REALLY wanted to do it. They choose who goes by lottery, so the chances of signing up as a group gives a better chance of getting in. Because if one name gets picked, you all get to go.

NONE of my friends here in Tucson are runners. I'm hoping maybe some of you east coast princesses may be interested in making a group? Or west coast! :) If someone already knows someone who has one and I could join it? I've ALWAYS wanted to go to DC and to participate in this half would mean so much to me! Registration opens on Friday I believe (from their Facebook). I'm probably going to apply for a group number either way, so if ANYONE is interested in joining a team, I would love you and thank you forever. There's no limit to how many people in a group I'm pretty sure. So let me know! THANK YOU!!

PS this doesn't mean we have to run together - once you're in it's independent. But if I get a group and we do get in, I would LOVE to meet whoever has signed up with me and give them the biggest hugs in the world, and I give nice big hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:!! Oh, and did I mention, instead of a medal at the end, you get a Tiffany's necklace handed to you by firefighters in tuxedos? :lovestruc

-Beth

Princesses! This is a SUPER off topic post, but we've discussed other races on here, so I figure to take my chances with this one.

Nike Women is hosting an inaugural half marathon in DC on April 28th. I was signed up and chosen to compete in the San Francisco half this past October, but the girls I was supposed to go with - one friendship unfortunately fell apart, one found out she had a heart condition during training, and the other ended up getting pregnant! I couldn't justify spending 1500 dollars on airfare and hotels to go. It's eaten me up inside, because I REALLY wanted to do it. They choose who goes by lottery, so the chances of signing up as a group gives a better chance of getting in. Because if one name gets picked, you all get to go.

NONE of my friends here in Tucson are runners. I'm hoping maybe some of you east coast princesses may be interested in making a group? Or west coast! :) If someone already knows someone who has one and I could join it? I've ALWAYS wanted to go to DC and to participate in this half would mean so much to me! Registration opens on Friday I believe (from their Facebook). I'm probably going to apply for a group number either way, so if ANYONE is interested in joining a team, I would love you and thank you forever. There's no limit to how many people in a group I'm pretty sure. So let me know! THANK YOU!!

PS this doesn't mean we have to run together - once you're in it's independent. But if I get a group and we do get in, I would LOVE to meet whoever has signed up with me and give them the biggest hugs in the world, and I give nice big hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:!! Oh, and did I mention, instead of a medal at the end, you get a Tiffany's necklace handed to you by firefighters in tuxedos? :lovestruc

-Beth

Ummm, YES PLEASE! lol I'm going to look in to this after class tonight. It sounds awesome!
Can you post a link to it, please?
ETA: I found the info I was looking for...I would be in for a group. I have never been to DC before, this would be a lot of fun. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy
My initial thought was, "those can't be good for you" but then you see how popular they are and think, "well, clearly somebody is doing okay in them!"
I've had the same thoughts... but I saw a girl in barefoot shoes at the W&D 5K and I've seriously never seen anyone rolling in like she was - standing in place, her weight was totally on the inside edge of her feet! I just had to ask how she felt with her shoes. Um, she's completed a number of marathons, an ultra, a Tough Mudder and has never once had an injury. :scared1: I'll never question footwear choices again!

That's me! I do mud runs (including Tough Mudder) in them an absolutely love them!! My Asics feel like I have luggage strapped to my feet and make me sad. :sad1:

I saw the ortho today and the news is good. Both he and the PT agree I just need stronger butt muscles. :rotfl2: My calves and thighs are so developed that they are over-compensating and letting my butt muscles off the hook too easily. They call it strengthening my kinetic chain but basically said it's my butt that's slacking. LOL!! PT 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks, a video gait analysis in a month and they were both convinced I will be good as new. From their lips...!!!

I'm running alone because none of my pretty princess friends will run with me. 99 days to go! :scared1:

Welcome!! I'm running it alone too. DH and my DSs will be in the chEAR Squad (and running the Saturday races) but no team of tiaras for me eiher. A bunch of us are going to meet up before to hang out and get excited so you won't be totally alone!

My calves and thighs are so developed that they are over-compensating and letting my butt muscles off the hook too easily. They call it strengthening my kinetic chain but basically said it's my butt that's slacking. LOL!! PT 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks, a video gait analysis in a month and they were both convinced I will be good as new. From their lips...!!!

Great news! LOL about the butt muscles. I think there was an article in Runner's World recently about recruiting your glutes when you run. I was reading it and I swear I could see the editor's pen. At one point the writer was like "your glutes will slack off if you let them. That's just how they are." I just KNOW the editor cut out the words "they're kind of an @ss!" :rotfl2: Well, if the author didn't think of it, she should have!

I've been doing weighted squats, fire hydrants, and bird dogs to work on that. My always-flat butt is getting ever so slightly rounder. :yay: Not sure it's doing much for my speed but that's not my strong suit.

Anyway, so glad to hear you've got a plan and it includes the princess!

And tough mudder? Seriously? :worship: I wanna be a badass but anything that involves electric shocks is kind of off the books for me. :)

Cate

I saw the ortho today and the news is good. Both he and the PT agree I just need stronger butt muscles. :rotfl2: My calves and thighs are so developed that they are over-compensating and letting my butt muscles off the hook too easily. They call it strengthening my kinetic chain but basically said it's my butt that's slacking. LOL!! PT 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks, a video gait analysis in a month and they were both convinced I will be good as new. From their lips...!!!

Are they trying to tell you that you've got a small butt? Did you kiss them?!!! LOL!

Great news though!

Registration opens on Friday I believe (from their Facebook). I'm probably going to apply for a group number either way, so if ANYONE is interested in joining a team, I would love you and thank you forever. There's no limit to how many people in a group I'm pretty sure. So let me know! THANK YOU!!

Sooo, there are like 50 reasons why I shouldn't do this, but I'm very, very tempted. I've been eyeing this race myself, but couldn't get a team together here, and I have some conflicts of my own (a conference in Ithaca NY the next day, and another half on May 26), but they're not insurmountable. How much of a commitment do you need? Let me know if I can jump in as a strong maybe...

Such a cool idea!

Cate

Great news! LOL about the butt muscles. I think there was an article in Runner's World recently about recruiting your glutes when you run. I was reading it and I swear I could see the editor's pen. At one point the writer was like "your glutes will slack off if you let them. That's just how they are." I just KNOW the editor cut out the words "they're kind of an @ss!" :rotfl2: Well, if the author didn't think of it, she should have!

I've been doing weighted squats, fire hydrants, and bird dogs to work on that. My always-flat butt is getting ever so slightly rounder. :yay: Not sure it's doing much for my speed but that's not my strong suit.

Anyway, so glad to hear you've got a plan and it includes the princess!

And tough mudder? Seriously? :worship: I wanna be a badass but anything that involves electric shocks is kind of off the books for me. :)

Cate

That's hysterical! I should find that article because apparently my glutes are slacking...sooo typical. :rotfl:

I'll let you know what the PT has me doing to spice up my butt (which is ridiculously flat and totally uninteresting).

Tough Mudder was awesome!! I was a little afraid of the electric obstacles (we had 2 in ours) and the fire but it turned out to not be as bad as the terrain itself. The obstacles were hard but they were exactly what I expected them to be and I had trained for it so I felt like I was prepared. What I was not prepared for is 12+ miles up and down and up and down and up and down the 2K elevation mountains in slick mud that you could just slide down most of the time. We had to crawl up on hands and knees at points because it was so steep and you'd get up and have to go right back down again. That was probably the hardest part. A lot of the terrain is sort of meant to be "bonus obstacles" over and above the 21 listed. We'd approach a waist-high swamp or something and ask "Is this an obstacle or just for f---y--?" and someone would answer "Oh, this one is just for f---y--." as we all laugh at ourselves trying to get through. The totally awesome thing though is how much everyone helps everyone else. Perfect strangers walked with me when my knee was acting up or hold out a hand if you slip. As you're climbing on your hands and knees and you see the person above you slip, you just instinctively put your hand on their butt and dig your foot in wherever you can and say "I got you!" People are so amazing and everyone wants to see everyone finish. I love that about mudders. I'm doing another TM in May and DH and I are planning to the the Spartan Trifecta in 2013 too. If you think you're interested, I would be happy to give you hints, tips, pics, etc. Or come to Chicago in May and join our team!!!! It was an amazing experience!!

-Beth

I would love to get in on the team entry. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter