• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me the way the start up works do they stager the corrals or does the whole go at once?

I am training at about 15 min mile and am worried if I need to focus on better than that to account for being at the back and the slow start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

Cripey already gave you the run down.... and I am VERY VERY far from being an experienced runner let alone a disney race veteran. But thought I would share my one and only experience that adds to what she was saying. it is VERY important to try to get to that front of the corral. For the ToT the last corral was D. We were in C, but I am pretty sure that we were nearly to the front of C when we lined up. I am not 100% sure of the math at this point. I did look at it more closely after the race(and even then it wasn't an exact..but just a guestimate), but I think the way I figured it roughly 700 people finished behind us with approx. 2500 in each corral. You can see how being up at the front of the corral C gave us a good cushion. We did not get swept, but finished with a pace of over 16 minutes (16:50 approx) I am am fairly sure had we been to the back of C we would have been swept and almost 100% sure that had we been in D we would have been.

annmarieda said:
Cripey already gave you the run down.... and I am VERY VERY far from being an experienced runner let alone a disney race veteran. But thought I would share my one and only experience that adds to what she was saying. it is VERY important to try to get to that front of the corral. For the ToT the last corral was D. We were in C, but I am pretty sure that we were nearly to the front of C when we lined up. I am not 100% sure of the math at this point. I did look at it more closely after the race(and even then it wasn't an exact..but just a guestimate), but I think the way I figured it roughly 700 people finished behind us with approx. 2500 in each corral. You can see how being up at the front of the corral C gave us a good cushion. We did not get swept, but finished with a pace of over 16 minutes (16:50 approx) I am am fairly sure had we been to the back of C we would have been swept and almost 100% sure that had we been in D we would have been.

Congrats on finishing the ToT and for the great advice I will be there early and ensure to push my husband to line up. In his last race he ran at the back of his corral cause he doesn't like being up front. This will be a new experience for us both

Has anyone here ever done kids races? I have 2 kids running in different groups and obviously I am hoping to see/run with both of them. Is this possible or do all the races happen at the same time? That would be chaos LOL, so assuming/hoping they stagger the starts by age group?

Curious too. I signed DS7 and DS5 for the one mile run and DS3 for the dash (I can't remember if it's 100m or 200m for his age group. I think 100m). I wanted to have all of them do the dashes and then let just the oldesst 2 do the 1 mile but the thought of managing 3 of them all at different starting points at the same time was too much so just the little guy is doing the dash since the bigger 2 have another one to do.

I am hoping after seeing it myself once that I will get a better feel for it for the next time. We're planning to take the whole family to the Tink in '14 and while we will all do the 5K, I'd like to let the boys do the kids runs again too. And DH says he's going to do the half with me so we can both get our C2C that year. We'll see if that happens. ;)

Gryhndmom said:
DH and I are staying at the Contmporary as we are big fans of the hotel (and concierge level... A nice present from DH ! Also got a big airline discount !). We always get a car when we go to Disney so we can scoot around on our own without waiting for buses. Will still take bus to race though ) anybody else staying at contemporary ?

My DD and I are staying at CR but not in the tower. She preferred the location but I just reserved a standard room. We've stayed in the tower before and loved it. We'll only be there 2nights. We both have to get back to work. You'll have a great time.

We were planning on doing Epcot on Friday and not doing any parks on Saturday. Since they moved the kids races to Epcot, I've got to think they can't require a park ticket, right? I guess we could switch our Epcot day to Saturday but I'm going to be pretty annoyed by that if that's what we have to do...

Have the kids races or the 5ks ever required park tickets before?

I'll be at CSR too :cool1: I was planning to book Pop since I'll be solo and that was the cheaper option, but thought it might be fun to try somewhere I've never stayed before. I was actually debating between CSR and CBR. When I saw that the expo was at CSR, I took it as a sign:)

Did a 10-mile training run for Tink on Saturday. Weather was fantastic, but the run was brutal. Of course, that may have been because my roommate ran with me and she talks constantly. I usually do 4-5 miles for my "short" runs and average around a 12-12:30 per mile pace. We ended up finishing the 10 with an average of 14:10. Am hoping to be around 11-11:30 for my long run pace by February. Will be adding in some hill workouts starting this week and we'll see what happens. Regardless of my pace, I'll be happy just to finish!

Congrats on finishing the ToT and for the great advice I will be there early and ensure to push my husband to line up. In his last race he ran at the back of his corral cause he doesn't like being up front. This will be a new experience for us both

:goodvibes Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

I signed up to do the 15K last weekend and didn't end up running it. Priarily I backed out because of my ITB problems but the whole race was chaos between 2-3 hr lines for packet-picket, 40,000 runners and 5,000 walkers all corralled together based on registration date (not pace) so there were walkers in the front corrals with runners and elite runners all mixed together. The course was over 10 miles (not 9.3), etc etc. A friend warned me when I registered not to do it because she had done it the first 2 years and had nothing good to say about it but I was determined to have a race to submit for PHM corral placement so I registered anyway.
For bskelly07 (and anyone else who cares, too!) these are the pics from Dirty Girl in June of this year. Most were taken by my DH who followed us along the course as best as he could. There were a few obstacles where spectators couldn't get so he missed those, but he did pretty well. The ones at the end are from Brightroom so they had the in on a few of the hidden obstacles. I think really the only ones that no one got are climbing the "mountain" and maybe one or two that slipped my mind. But this should give you a good feel forwhat you are in for. It was lots of fun and we're planning to do it next year wearing wedding gowns. :thumbsup2

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BbsmTZwxYtXNA
Oh wow!! Dirty Girl looks nothing to what I was expecting, awesome! I was scared to be slipping all over the place. Your photos are adorable. I love the ones of you guys climbing up the ropes. You've got me more excited about it now! :) Thanks so much for sharing those!
And hmm, that makes me a little hesitant about hot chocolate now... I hate disorganized running events, and plus I'm planning a run to send into Disney just the week before it that is local AND I get Zoo admission after! :) so I guess I don't *need* to do it! It just looked like it could be fun. Oh well, thanks for that bit of information too! You saved me 65 or however much it was plus gas and hotel stay :)

And guys!! It's official! I booked my flights and hotel last night! I'm staying at CSR too - glad I am since they switched the expo. I was originally going to book through Disneyworld. I may be kicking myself later (in case something goes horribly wrong), but I saved myself over 500 dollars by booking through expedia! The price was a steal.. SO. EXCITED! :jumping1:

That sounds like my race? Are you in NJ? If so, you rocked it, lady!! (Even if you're not, you still rocked it ;) ) That was a HARD course for me too and with Sandy, I hadn't prepped in the past week & half. It was my first 10k too. I finished at 1:21 at a 13 pace. You kicked my butt ;) CONGRATS!!!!

I just realized I'm an idiot. I ran YESTERDAY not Saturday. So, not the same race. I think all the soreness post race got to my brain. ;) Even so- that's an awesome time that I'd die for!! :)

thanks :goodvibes I am from NJ, but race was just over the bridge in PA. I have hills as part of my training runs, but only for just under a mile. This was 6 miles of them...wasnt sure that i was going to make it towards the end.

Congrats on your race, that is a great time to be crazy proud of. I feel like on hilly/hard course we should just feel great for finishing...anything more is just a bonus ;)

I booked at CBR but was considering CSR... Since I'm solo I think I'll just keep CBR since it about $100 less for the 4 night I am staying. How early will the busses be running? Will there be dedicated busses from each resort to CSR? I am heading to the expo on Friday then going to Epcot for the rest of the day, so I will just head straight to the park when I'm done at the expo.

Just got my room booked. Doing Pop. Anyone else staying there? It is a host resort, right? Wanted to stay at CSR or FQ but I have a hard time justifying the price for just a race. Now to get air secured.

Since I have never been, I was looking forward to going to the Wide World of Sports for the expo. Does anyone know why the moved the venue ??

Honestly? You're not missing much. It's mostly a bunch of buildings and fields for watching sports events. I'm much more interested in checking out CSR!

Oh wow!! Dirty Girl looks nothing to what I was expecting, awesome! I was scared to be slipping all over the place. Your photos are adorable. I love the ones of you guys climbing up the ropes. You've got me more excited about it now! :) Thanks so much for sharing those!
And hmm, that makes me a little hesitant about hot chocolate now... I hate disorganized running events, and plus I'm planning a run to send into Disney just the week before it that is local AND I get Zoo admission after! :) so I guess I don't *need* to do it! It just looked like it could be fun. Oh well, thanks for that bit of information too! You saved me 65 or however much it was plus gas and hotel stay :)

Too funny - I have a friend who wants to do the Dirty Girl with me when it comes to Atlanta next spring, and I was thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate in January, but this is giving me pause! I'm going to look at some other race review sites and see if I can get more info, but any race that large that just sends everyone at once makes me wonder how organized the whole thing can be.

I booked at CBR but was considering CSR... Since I'm solo I think I'll just keep CBR since it about $100 less for the 4 night I am staying. How early will the busses be running? Will there be dedicated busses from each resort to CSR? I am heading to the expo on Friday then going to Epcot for the rest of the day, so I will just head straight to the park when I'm done at the expo.

I *think* the busses start running at 3:00am race morning. As far as to the expo, I'm not quite sure. 2 years ago we went late Friday; last year we didn't go until after lunch time on Friday. That's an excellent question about the buses to CSR. Last year, there were a lot less host resorts, so each one of those had a dedicated expo bus to WWOS. I can't imagine that Dis can free up buses all day long at ALL the resorts. I wonder if you would maybe have to get to the TTC (Ticket & trans. center) and then transfer to a CSR bus there?

I am driving down Friday morning from VA and staying at BLT. Will there be a place to park if I drive over there?

thanks :goodvibes I am from NJ, but race was just over the bridge in PA. I have hills as part of my training runs, but only for just under a mile. This was 6 miles of them...wasnt sure that i was going to make it towards the end.

Congrats on your race, that is a great time to be crazy proud of. I feel like on hilly/hard course we should just feel great for finishing...anything more is just a bonus ;)

I hear you. On the last mile, my legs were killing me and I didn't know if I'd wind up crawling to the finish. There's a woman who works in the town where I work who's been running for over 20 years. I've gotten to know her for the past 10 since she works at the coffee shop I go to sometimes. She finished WAY before me, but came back to the 6 mile mark to run the last bit with me and let me go on my own just for the photographer near the end, and the finish. She told me I could walk a bit, but NO walking in pictures or across the finish line. ;) I don't know if I'd have made it without her! I asked if she wanted to come to Disney with me ;)
It felt amazing to finish regardless of the time and I can't imagine how finishing the P1/2 will feel!

Where in PA was the race? I did the Madison one- the Giralda Farms.

There should be a dedicated bus at the resorts going to the expo and the races. In the races I've done, the expo and race busses have been large chartered busses, not regular Disney transportation busses, so you'll be able to spot them like that at your resort. They normally will pick up near the front of the hotel where ME normally drops you off on arrival...there has always been signage saying "RunDisney Race/Expo Transportation" or something to that effect, and the busses have always been marked with a sign displayed in the window saying it was going to the Expo or the Race, etc.

Ok... Excited to say that I am very close to being sure that this is goin to work out! With everyone now booking at csr, I figured I should at least get that booked or risk not being able to get a room there. So I am happy to say I have that nailed down. Now for airfare and I will be set!

Too funny - I have a friend who wants to do the Dirty Girl with me when it comes to Atlanta next spring, and I was thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate in January, but this is giving me pause! I'm going to look at some other race review sites and see if I can get more info, but any race that large that just sends everyone at once makes me wonder how organized the whole thing can be.

Great minds think alike ;)! Let me know if you find anything else out about the Hot Chocolate! And hopefully if I get some good photos during the dirty girl, I'll post them in a link as well :). Maybe it'll make you want to sign up even more so with your friend, haha :cheer2:

Just got my room booked. Doing Pop. Anyone else staying there? It is a host resort, right? Wanted to stay at CSR or FQ but I have a hard time justifying the price for just a race. Now to get air secured.

My friend and I are staying at Pop! We had the same thought, we are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible and Pop was the right price! It is a host resort. I called the RunDisney travel to get a quote on some host resorts and Pop was one of them (even though I got a better rate through WDW specials).

Tracerr00 said:
My friend and I are staying at Pop! We had the same thought, we are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible and Pop was the right price! It is a host resort. I called the RunDisney travel to get a quote on some host resorts and Pop was one of them (even though I got a better rate through WDW specials).

RunDisney told me all resorts are considered a host resort due to the size of the event. I still haven't decided if we are staying onsite yet but our flights are booked!!!

Now if I can figure out if I'm just tired or have a cold brewing (currently have 2 sickies in my house) cause I'm feeling run down but have stuck with my training so far and I hate to miss any days!!!

Next corral question which may have already been covered. My husband and I are running the race together but not as a team. Partly because we signed up at different times and my husband is running for a charity.

We both put 3 hrs on our expected time to finish. What the chance we will have the same corral?

If we don't can they put us together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter