The *ALL NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *APRIL 2009*

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEll, I think we will go to the poly with the hopes of getting what we request. But we do understand we may not get them at all. Geee I hope tink:wizard: can help us out! Find that out in 6 days! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

WEll, I think we will go to the poly with the hopes of getting what we request. But we do understand we may not get them at all. Geee I hope tink:wizard: can help us out! Find that out in 6 days! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

That's how I feel, too. I know it's going to be crowded, and if we don't get all our requests, I'm going to try to be just as happy as if we did.:) 4 more days!!!:yay:

Has anyone ever taken anything like coffee and a sweet roll from concierge and eaten it out at the tables by the quiet pool ? I enjoy having my coffee by the pool in the morning but I don't want to do it if I'm not supposed to. Also is the menu for concierge evening food offerings that is posted on the first page of this thread acurate? I noticed it is from 04/14/2008. Thanks for your help.

As long as you aren't taking in a backpack and filling it up, then you should be fine. We saw a lot of people coming in and grabbing a snack or drink and heading out to the beach or back to their rooms. I wasn't a fan of the concierge's offerings so I didn't take anything with me. Not worth the high amount of money in my opinion.

Hi all we have been back a week from our stay at the Polynesian. We had room #1811 in Rarotonga. At first I was not thrilled with this location, but it really was very nice. Very close just steps from the GCH. Steps to the bus station and laundry room. This was our first stay at a monorail resort, and I am now spoiled. We walked to the TTC to get the EPCOT monorail. Not a bad walk at all. Watched the fireworks from the beach several nights.
Enljoyed Capt. Cooks. The noodle stir fry chicken dish is yummy. The Hawaiian flat bread was good also. Of course the Tonga Toast and dole whips are the best. Have had both of these before, but having them steps away at the GCH was fantastic. Dole Whips available 24-7. Can't beat that.

Thought the parks were busy. The EPCOT flower and garden did not seem to have as much as last year (maybe it's me!)

Had a blast at the American Idol Experience. Lots of fun try this if you get the chance. Also at the studios saw beauty and the beast for the first time. I don't know why we never went before, what a GREAT show.

Saw Monster Ins. laugh factory for the first time. Very corny, but funny. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

To all that are going soon. Have fun.

good evening friends! I was hoping you could give me a rundown of times it takes on/waiting for the monorail. Specifically, how many minutes from:
the GCH to the GF?
the GCH to the MK?
the TTC to Epcot?
If you're standing at the monorail station and there's no monorail, approx how long before it circles back? Are there usually a lot of people waiting, if so, how much extra time would you add? I have an 8:00am character breakfast booked at both the MK and EPCOT and want to make sure I give myself enough time to get there.
As usual, thanks for your help. You guys are great and I look forward to reading this thread throughout the day. I always feel like I've missed so much by the time I'm able to log on at night after I put DD to bed!

GCH to GF is probably a minute tops once the monorail is running. Boarding and waiting times vary.

GCH to MK depends on how long it takes the monorail to load at the GF as well.

For an 8am reservation in the MK, I'd be at the monorail station by 7:30. That should give you plenty of time for the wait, ride, bag check, turnstiles and walk.

For your Epcot reservation, the walk inside the park will take longer than everything else most likely. I think I'd plan on being at the TTC by 7:15. The ride itself is longer...maybe 8 minutes or so? Bag check, turnstile and then a good 10-15 minute walk to Norway.

But I would check on the transportation board to see how early the Epcot monorail is running these days. That breakfast used to begin at 8:30 and it could be that the monorail isn't running by 7:15.

As for wait times for the monorail, they are usually running 3 or 4 MK trains at one time it seems to me. We've seldom waited more than 5 minutes. It's rare to have to wait for the next one.

Whew!! Time flies when you are readings all these postings!!! :surfweb: question... I've noticed that some of the Poly rooms have a "balcony" and some have a "fence". Fence meaning there is no room for a patio chair. Is it luck of the draw if you are assigned a balcony or fence room? Or if you book a lagoon view, those have balconies?

I realize 1st floor rooms have the small patio.

Three of the larger building do have balconies on the second and third floors so your odds are greater than you might think.

Mostly I wanted to say that the patios are actually a nice size....much bigger than at most WDW resorts.

Hi all we have been back a week from our stay at the Polynesian. We had room #1811 in Rarotonga. At first I was not thrilled with this location, but it really was very nice. Very close just steps from the GCH. Steps to the bus station and laundry room. This was our first stay at a monorail resort, and I am now spoiled. We walked to the TTC to get the EPCOT monorail. Not a bad walk at all. Watched the fireworks from the beach several nights.
Enljoyed Capt. Cooks. The noodle stir fry chicken dish is yummy. The Hawaiian flat bread was good also. Of course the Tonga Toast and dole whips are the best. Have had both of these before, but having them steps away at the GCH was fantastic. Dole Whips available 24-7. Can't beat that.

Thought the parks were busy. The EPCOT flower and garden did not seem to have as much as last year (maybe it's me!)

Had a blast at the American Idol Experience. Lots of fun try this if you get the chance. Also at the studios saw beauty and the beast for the first time. I don't know why we never went before, what a GREAT show.

Saw Monster Ins. laugh factory for the first time. Very corny, but funny. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

To all that are going soon. Have fun.

It sounds like you had a great vacation. On which side of Raratonga were you? Thanks for your report.:surfweb:

Have any of the Poly faithful used the new on-line check in? Do you think it makes a difference as far as getting the longhouse that has been requested? Is there a seperate line at registration for guests that have used the on-line check in? Does it speed up the process?

Here is the new Concierge Lounge Menu (updated 3/21/09)

Sunday
BBQ Pulled Pork with Whole Grain Buns and Asian Cole Slaw
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Tropical Pineapple Fruit Tray
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Monday
California Rolls and Cucumber Avocado Rolls
Make Your Own Asian Noodle Bowl
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Tuesday
Slow Roasted Barbeque Pork Ribs
Hot and Sour Soup with Chicken
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Wednesday
Spirit of Aloha Chicken Drumsticks
Spirit of Aloha Fried Rice
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Thursday
Vegetable Lo Mein
Create your Own Asian Style Lettuce Wraps
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Friday
'Ohana Marinated Turkey Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Jasmine Rice with Coconut Curry Sauce
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

Saturday
Kona Sticky Wings
Kona Curry Shrimp Chowder
Kona Salad with Fresh Fruit, Maytag Blue Cheese
Smoked Almonds, Mixed Greens with a Citrus Vinaigrette
Assorted Cheese Tray
Vegetable Platter

good evening friends! I was hoping you could give me a rundown of times it takes on/waiting for the monorail. Specifically, how many minutes from:
the GCH to the GF?
the GCH to the MK?
the TTC to Epcot?
If you're standing at the monorail station and there's no monorail, approx how long before it circles back? Are there usually a lot of people waiting, if so, how much extra time would you add? I have an 8:00am character breakfast booked at both the MK and EPCOT and want to make sure I give myself enough time to get there.
As usual, thanks for your help. You guys are great and I look forward to reading this thread throughout the day. I always feel like I've missed so much by the time I'm able to log on at night after I put DD to bed!

here is a website that allows you to plug in two places and see the traveling time. I found it to be pretty accurate. http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx

I will also say that I thought the transportation was wonderful! The buses had little to no wait at all during our whole trip!

And another side note, on one occasion we walked to the TTC and they were stopping everyone and not letting most people walk up the ramps to the monorail. It was about 8:15am. They gave us no explanation, so I went up to the guy blocking the gate and asked why some could go through and he said they were resort members only. So we hold up our Key To The World and he whisks us through the gate. It only happened one time, but be sure if someone is blocking the gates to the ramps and you see others allowed in that you show your KTTW.

It sounds like you had a great vacation. On which side of Raratonga were you? Thanks for your report.:surfweb:

We were on the side facing the pool. Could not really see it as we were on the first floor. The high fireworks were visible over the top of the longhouse.

juliebee -- thanks so much for posting the updated menu! It's really helpful for planning our evenings! Thank you for taking the time to do this.:)

And another side note, on one occasion we walked to the TTC and they were stopping everyone and not letting most people walk up the ramps to the monorail. It was about 8:15am. They gave us no explanation, so I went up to the guy blocking the gate and asked why some could go through and he said they were resort members only. So we hold up our Key To The World and he whisks us through the gate. It only happened one time, but be sure if someone is blocking the gates to the ramps and you see others allowed in that you show your KTTW.

Thank you SO much for this information. We plan on walking early to the Epcot monorail, and I'm so glad you mentioned this! We like to get to the parks early and would be miserable if we ended up waiting when we didn't have to!:)

Thanks CR resort fan 4 life and OandA for your quick responses. Also thanks juliebee thanks for posting the updated menu.

Only three more sleeps until we leave! I can't wait! :woohoo:

I just have to fine tune how I'm going to spring the surprise on the boys and I'm all set. Still have to pick up note cards to write down the rough schedule and the ADR's and get cash from the bank for the daily envelopes though. I'll try to do that today so I can unpack and repack again. :)

Thanks for all of the info from julibee and BCV23 on the monorail wait times too! I'm still getting used to the idea that I can hop with a ferry and a monorail to get where I want to go. I'm not at all used to that! :upsidedow

Only three more sleeps until we leave! I can't wait! :woohoo:

I just have to fine tune how I'm going to spring the surprise on the boys and I'm all set. Still have to pick up note cards to write down the rough schedule and the ADR's and get cash from the bank for the daily envelopes though. I'll try to do that today so I can unpack and repack again. :)

Thanks for all of the info from julibee and BCV23 on the monorail wait times too! I'm still getting used to the idea that I can hop with a ferry and a monorail to get where I want to go. I'm not at all used to that! :upsidedow

Everyone loves the monorail but the ferry is far too often overlooked. It usually can be quicker than the monorail and just as fun!

WOW! I miss a day, the old thread is closed and the new thread is already on page 5 or 6....So glad everything got started over quickly though.

For those of you in Michigan, I hope the winter storm passes you by. I live in SE WI and they said we were going to get 5-7 inches of snow. We got nothing, nada, zippo, zilch.:thumbsup2 I will pass along warm thoughts that you have the same luck. We are so sick of winter here too!

Good luck and safe travels for all ya'll leaving this week for the Poly. I can't wait to hear how your room assignments turn out especially if you are using the online check-in. I have decided not to use it and will just go thru regular check-in. I have never had a problem standing in line and always had good luck with that so I am going to take my chances.

I am freaking out over our trip in 2 1/2 weeks. I STILL have to go shopping for me and oldest DD because we have nothing to wear. I am so busy with work I am about to pull out my hair. I am a Realtor and I seem to have buyers and sellers crawling out of the woodwork.:scared1: Where were all these folks last year when I was twidling my thumbs? I shouldn't complain but I SO need this vacation.

Another miserable Michigander here waiting for the blizzard.....Looking forward to my Poly trip in June :cool1:

Nice to see the new thread this morning, just icing on the cake of Tikiman's site yesterday :goodvibes

We are planning a trip in August free dining promo(after my DD trip, see sigie below) and get to stay at the beautiful Poly. This will be the 1st time for DH, 2nd for DD16 and DS19 and 3rd time for me! Absolutely one of my favorites!

What happeneded to Tikimans site, is it gone? :sad2:When I clicked on the link, it said page not found - I had it book marked??? :confused3 Hopefully, he just changed the address, if so does someone have it???!!! :worship:Thanks All! Lisa

We're outside Chicago and got about three inches last night.:scared1: It was on top of some sleet so it looks like a Winter wonderland but it is April!!!! It's melting fast on the sidewalks and streets though. But all of you headed down in a few days are so lucky!

Unfortunately, that laughingplace calculator has so many errors in it. Most people on the transportation forum including me think its worthless.

For instance, plugging in Polynesian to Epcot it lists three routes.
bus to Epcot... 19 minutes but there is no bus to Epcot
monorail to TTC and monorail to EPCOT ....45 minutes...bad idea to monorail all the way around unless it's pouring and you're room is close to the GCH
boat to GF and then bus to EPCOT...47 minutes.....oh, please.

But it's great that it worked well for you, juliebee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter