Sure he has his Disney driver's license... a March 2016 Trip Report

Tuesday March 8: Flower & Garden Festival- Future World

In between taking in the attractions in Future World that morning we also stopped to admire the beautiful topiaries and garden exhibits along the way. No one in our family will ride Mission: Space anymore, but we had to say hi to our buddy Buzz. I really liked the dark pink flowers there too.
IMG_8918 - Copy.JPG

We got some education at the Water Wise garden.
IMG_8923 - Copy.JPG

The vibrant colors in this bed were outstanding. The weather couldn't have been more perfect to give us such a great look at nature.
IMG_8924 - Copy.JPG

I've seen pictures, but nothing compares to seeing them in person.
IMG_8931 - Copy.JPG

The butterfly garden was so pretty! I loved walking through there and getting to see them in various stages of their life cycle.
IMG_8929 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8932 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8934 - Copy.JPG

The musical play garden was adorable! Our boys would have loved it when they were little, especially the musical part. We just checked out the topiaries since I told DH and DS they were too big to go play.
IMG_8938 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8939 - Copy.JPG

I want this Pluto one at my house- so cute!
IMG_8940 - Copy.JPG

Next we headed to Showcase Plaza and World Showcase for some eats, culture, and more gardens.

Last edited:
Tuesday March 8: "Hey, we don't go right first!"

In case you haven't figured it out, our family loves to eat! We've gone to F&WF three times, so we were anticipating the food booths at F&GF to be just as good. We exited Future World West, passing through the Festival Blooms and Backyard Habitat gardens, the to our first kiosk- Urban Farm Eats.
IMG_8944 - Copy.JPG

The guys chose what they wanted and I got in line. This is how it went the rest of the day. It worked out best because a) it's too crowded getting three people through the lines, b) I had the gift cards to pay, and c) they know I'm like a little kid about getting the passport stamped! This kiosk had the best line because there was a garden exhibit to look at too.
IMG_8941 - Copy.JPG

I was also pleasantly surprised because the lines weren't as crowded as F&WF had been last time we went. I think the max wait time was five minutes. Most places also had two CM's taking orders.
The guys chose the seared pork tenderloin (minus the mushroom ragout) with spring vegetables and marble potatoes. They loved the tender well seasoned pork and the freshness of the vegetables. The plates were a thin bamboo that we ended up washing off and bringing home as a souvenir. They're just in the kitchen as decoration right now.

IMG_8942 - Copy.JPG

Besides tacos, I also became obsessed with salads on this trip, as you will see. I picked the watermelon salad with pickled onions, baby arugula, feta, and a balsamic reduction. It was SO delicious! The bitter arugula paired well with the sweet watermelon, as did the creamy feta and crisp onion. The vinaigrette tied it all together and it was both refreshing and filling.
IMG_8943 - Copy.JPG

Our next food stop was at the Pineapple Promenade. DH and I both love pineapple but DS isn't a huge fan. I got the spicy hot dog with pineapple chutney and taro chips to share with him. He really liked the spiciness of the hot dog, but chose to give me the rest of the chutney after trying a bite. I needed the sweetness of the chutney on mine and the chips gave it a fun crunch.
IMG_8947 - Copy.JPG

DH got- what else- a Dole Whip! I was thinking we might get one with rum, but it was so warm this day we didn't feel like anything with alcohol. Of course I had a few bites, and DS tried it and said he still doesn't like it.
IMG_8946 - Copy.JPG

We were eating on a bench and chatting with two lovely ladies on the next bench who were also enjoying Dole Whips. People kept coming by and asking what we were eating and where to get one, so we had to keep directing them to the booth. One of the ladies said Disney should give us free ones since we were doing such a good job advertising!

This is the part of the trip that I realized my family really are creatures of habit. (They always joke that I am really anal retentive and organized and scheduled...) When we were done eating I started heading towards Canada, even though we usually start World Showcase in Mexico. The guys began to follow and just about the time DH started saying "Don't we usually..." DS blurted out "Hey, we don't go right first!" I busted out laughing, saying yes, we usually start to the left, but we might as well go this way since we were already here, unless they really objected. I think they were fine after that.

We found the Bambi and Friends topiary and it was adorable!
IMG_8950 - Copy.JPG

Thumper always reminds me of my brother since he picked a Thumper plush on our very first trip when we were kids. We looked through the gardens in Canada too which were beautiful this time of year. I also got a good shot of the pavilion in the day time.
IMG_8951 - Copy.JPG

Next on our world tour- the UK!

Tuesday March 8: Keep Calm and U.K. On

Our second stop in the World Showcase was the U.K. pavilion. There are two wonderful topiary displays from two of my, and really the whole family's, favorite Disney stories here. First up was the Hundred Acre Wood's gang, including Pooh (which is my DH's nickname for me)
IMG_8953 - Copy.JPG

Piglet and Eeyore
IMG_8954 - Copy.JPG

Rabbit
IMG_8955 - Copy.JPG

and Tigger, who is DH's favorite.
IMG_8956 - Copy.JPG

I loved how they used the colors in these but still kept them very natural looking.

The other topiary display here is from Peter Pan (older DS's favorite and our nickname for him). I thought the set up was so cool with Peter escaping Capt. Hook.
IMG_8960 - Copy.JPG

Then here comes Tick Tock to get him! I loved the purple flowers surrounding him.
IMG_8962 - Copy.JPG

The guys didn't want anything to eat but I picked up something from The Cider House booth. The field greens with apples, dried blueberries, stilton cheese, and an apple cider vinaigrette was very tasty. I liked the combination of the tart fruit with the cheese and crisp greens. It was dressed just enough too.
IMG_8957 - Copy.JPG

We spent some time looking around in all the shops. I always enjoy the toys, and DS has always liked anything to do with knights. We also made sure to find the two gardens here. The first one is Shakespeare's- I like how compact, manicured, and colorful it was.
IMG_8959 - Copy.JPG
The English Tea garden was lovely too. It actually gave me the idea to find used tea cups, maybe at yard sales or Goodwill, and plant flowers in them in our front garden.
IMG_8966 - Copy.JPG

We just re-did and planted our vegetable and herb garden today, so maybe in the next few weeks I can work on this project. Ironically, the town we live in was home to the first tea plantation in America, but has since moved and is now the only tea plantation in the U.S. It's about 20 miles south of us on Wadmalaw Island, SC.

Tuesday March 8: I almost forgot the stamp!

France is not a pavilion we usually spend a lot of time in, but there were three topiaries to find, and a dessert that was on my list to try. Food comes first so I hopped in line at Fleur de Lys. I thought it was funny that the two young CM's there were speaking French to each other in between customers, and the only thing I could pick up from what they were saying was "Snapchat!"
The guys were a little hesitant to try the raspberry macaron filled with fudge and raspberry jam, but I assured them it was heavenly. After trying it they agreed- crispy on the outside, pillowy soft on the inside, and the filling gooey but not overly sweet.

IMG_8973 - Copy.JPG

We then spotted the first display- Cinderella and Prince Charming.
IMG_8974 - Copy.JPG

Older DS's girlfriend came over while she was on Spring Break to look at all our pictures, and she noticed that I happened to take a lot of pictures that indicated the time. So here you can see it's only 2:15 and also it's not very busy in the park.

The other two topiary displays are really one theme, but two different locations. This is DS's and his GF's favorite-
IMG_8976 - Copy.JPG

they went as them for Halloween two years ago, for their senior prom after party they had shirts that said "His Beauty" and "Her Beast," and I decorated their magic bands with those characters when they went last year.

Then behind them is Cogsworth and Lumiere. It took me forever to convince younger DS that Jerry Orbach, "the guy from Law & Order" voiced Lumiere too. Now he thinks he's the best voice actor ever.
IMG_8975 - Copy.JPG

On the way to our next country I stopped at the Florida Fresh kiosk. This was another neat line to go through. I bet if you could find some of these old labels they'd be worth something to collectors but they'd make cool decorations too. (or maybe I've just been watching too much American Pickers with DH...)
IMG_8980 - Copy.JPG

We just got some watermelon juice to try and it was very refreshing- I almost forgot to get a picture!
IMG_8978 - Copy.JPG

Then I realized I hadn't gotten the stamp in my passport- you'd have thought I forgot my credit card or something cuz I u-turned right back there before DH and DS knew what was happening! There were just kind of standing in the middle of the walk way when I got back looking confused. When I told them I almost forgot the stamp, they were like "Ahh..." I'm so glad they understand me!

With that crisis averted it was on to Morocco. DH and I enjoy this pavilion because it reminds us of time we've spent in the Middle East- me as a kid and him while in the military. We like to spend time going through the shops and checking stuff out. Last trip that annoying "hump day" commercial was playing all the time, and DH and the boys kept bugging me with it. I made a point not to plan to do AK or MK (Aladdin) on a Wed. I forgot the camel at Epcot, so they had to make a big deal and act all silly with it. This time DH had to make sure he got his picture in again, even though it wasn't Wednesday.
IMG_8981 - Copy.JPG

At Taste of Marrakesh we got the Harissa chicken kebab with sweet couscous salad. They ate the chicken and I got the couscous. They liked the somewhat spicy flavor of the chicken and I thought the couscous was some of the best I've had- just sweet enough with a hint of spice, and nice and soft.
IMG_8985 - Copy.JPG

We ended up going into this beautiful shaded courtyard area to eat. It was so quiet with just the fountain trickling and no one came through there. It really reminded me of when my family used to go into town and get food from the street vendors. IMG_8982 - Copy.JPG

After our relaxing little break it was time to move on to our next stop.

I'm really enjoying your trip and dining report! We were there around the same time as you and loved the F&G festival. Wasn't the weather just gorgeous? Looking forward to reading more!

Ha! Thumper always reminds me of my brother, too - for the same reason!

DH and I are looking forward to that pineapple chutney hot dog. He's also really excited about the Cider House stop because he loves blueberries and wants to try the salad and the blueberry cider.

I'm really enjoying your trip and dining report! We were there around the same time as you and loved the F&G festival. Wasn't the weather just gorgeous? Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you! I hope your trip was as wonderful as ours. That was THE most perfect weather we've ever had at WDW. To think when I was tracking weather a few weeks out it was showing rain every day, and then just kept lessening.

Looks like you have 3 DS's right around mine's age- how fun! I think it would have been fun if DS had a friend to go along, but it may have been more annoying to him this time since he had to be in the ECV.

Ha! Thumper always reminds me of my brother, too - for the same reason!

DH and I are looking forward to that pineapple chutney hot dog. He's also really excited about the Cider House stop because he loves blueberries and wants to try the salad and the blueberry cider.

What a funny coincidence! I need to go up in my attic and see if I have his Thumper or if my mom does. He and his wife are expecting their first baby in Oct. so it would be cute to give it to him.

The hot dog is really good- I wish somewhere sold it year round. The blueberry salad was great too, I'm sure he'll love it. Let me know what you think of the cider. I pretty much only like fruity alcohol drinks (no beer) but it was just too warm for me to want any that day. It didn't seem to be bothering anyone else though, as most of the people ordering ahead of me were ordering at least one drink!

Tuesday March 8: We have a winner!

Japan was the next pavilion we visited. We walked through the shops and then checked out the new exhibit all about the "Cute" culture. I like how they switch things up here.
IMG_8986 - Copy.JPG

I always get a shot of DS with this warrior, but this time it was a little different.
IMG_8988 - Copy.JPG

The taiko drummers were playing so we had to listen for a bit. DS plays saxophone primarily, but also plays percussion and in middle school they used to do performances with the taiko drums. It was a neat experience and really cool that the students got to learn the culture, dance, and musical skills.
IMG_8989 - Copy.JPG

We didn't chose to eat anything in Japan but I knew the Smokehouse at the American Adventure would be one we'd hit up. I was kind of full so I got the guys each the beef brisket burnt ends hash with white cheddar fondue and pickled jalapenos
IMG_8992 - Copy.JPG

and a warm chocolate cake with bourbon salted caramel sauce and spiced pecans to split. IMG_8991 - Copy.JPG

One bite of that brisket dish and they declared a winner! Now DH is a born and bred Texan who prides himself on his bar-b-q, especially his brisket- it's his specialty and I must say it is divine. But this was right up there in flavor and tenderness (even though they were "burnt ends") and they gooey cheese combined with the soft potatoes and the little kick of jalapeno- unbelievable! They both made me try some of theirs and I agreed. Now why isn't this on a menu anywhere?!?
The chocolate cake was just average but a nice sweet bite after the savory brisket delicacy. The outside area wasn't crowded so we got a nice picnic bench to ourselves, which we had to sit at a while before we could roll on.

IMG_8995 - Copy.JPG

For drinks we had just brought water bottles and filled them up throughout the day. We normally drink a lot of water at home, and it was probably good so we didn't get dehydrated. We had a nice view of the featured topiary too- Sherriff Woody!
IMG_8994 - Copy.JPG

When we got going again we wandered through the Italy pavilion. One of DS's favorite shops is the one with the masks and DH like the Murano glass. We also found another topiary- Lady and the Tramp. I loved how they did Lady's ears.

IMG_9001 - Copy.JPG

We were more than halfway through the World Showcase and it was still only mid afternoon. It was so nice to just relax and take it easy.

DH and I LOVE the F&G Festival! We've been twice. Even though many of the topiaries appear to stay the same each year, I'd still love to go back again - and not just one more time lol.
I've seen pictures, but nothing compares to seeing them in person.
Exactly. Looking at pictures before our first time going was nothing compared to when we actually got there.

Just now tuning in. Loving the report so far! I'm so sorry to hear about your DS and his ankle. Hopefully all is well and that is recovering (or recovered) nicely.

I'm born and bred from Houston, Texas so, it's really nice to see someone else here as well. My mom is getting relocated to Pittsburgh and I go to school in Michigan and it's amazing how many things I realized I'm going to miss. The BBQ being one of them. The Astros, not so much. I don't follow baseball too closely but, I distinctly remember them being absolutely awful so, I'm glad to hear that they have some fans that don't live in the Houston area.

DH and I LOVE the F&G Festival! We've been twice. Even though many of the topiaries appear to stay the same each year, I'd still love to go back again - and not just one more time lol.

Exactly. Looking at pictures before our first time going was nothing compared to when we actually got there.

I'm going to have those images burned in my memory till we get to go back in the spring, which will probably be a few years, or maybe 10, but we will go back for F&G!

Just now tuning in. Loving the report so far! I'm so sorry to hear about your DS and his ankle. Hopefully all is well and that is recovering (or recovered) nicely.

I'm born and bred from Houston, Texas so, it's really nice to see someone else here as well. My mom is getting relocated to Pittsburgh and I go to school in Michigan and it's amazing how many things I realized I'm going to miss. The BBQ being one of them. The Astros, not so much. I don't follow baseball too closely but, I distinctly remember them being absolutely awful so, I'm glad to hear that they have some fans that don't live in the Houston area.

Thanks for reading and your concern! Yep, DS is out of the cast and boot now and goes for his follow up with the dr. this week. It's been killing him to be so inactive, especially with the great weather we've been having, and he's been driving us a little crazy too.

Cool that you're from Houston too. We don't get to go back as often as we'd like, but I hope to get to go in Oct. when our niece is due to be born. I'll be loading up on bbq and Tex-Mex (especially green sauce) while I'm there. Yea, Houston sports teams aren't loved cuz they're good, you're just die hard fans no matter how bad they are!

the beef brisket burnt ends hash with white cheddar fondue and pickled jalapenos

This makes me want to go in the spring sometime to experience this festival! I'll probably have to wait until I retire from teaching though! Although, maybe I could save up a few personal days and take an extended long weekend!!!

Tuesday March 8: "Make sure to tell your mom where we are!"

As we strolled into Germany we immediately spotted the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves topiary. It is very cute and captures each dwarf's personality perfectly.
IMG_9002 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9003 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9004 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9005 - Copy.JPG

DS reminded me of the one and only backpacking trip I went on with him, his brother, and some others from their Boy Scout troop a few years back. They always have "trail names" based on something that happens along the way. That time I suggested names of the seven dwarves, with me being Snow White and the other leader being Doc. By the end of the twenty mile trip the boys still couldn't agree on which dwarves they each were!
(On that same trip one of the boys scraped up his knee and older DS had to do some first aid on him. Since their leader was already named "Doc" they started calling DS Doc McStuffins! Yes, middle school and high school age boys apparently know about Doc McStuffins.)

The guys weren't interested in anything from the food kiosk, but made a beeline for Karamell Kuche. There was a line in here longer than the food booths but it moved pretty fast. I didn't mind because I love taking in the aromas and watching them make caramel apples. This is my mom's favorite place to get a snack in WDW- she is caramel obsessed! We had barely gotten inside when DH said to me "Make sure to tell your mom where we are!" I texted her a picture of the case and all she texted back was "Jealous!"
IMG_9009 - Copy.JPG

DS picked out a chocolate cookie drizzled with caramel and DH got a bag of freshly made caramel corn- it went right from the dip container in the bag and was still warm! I shared with him at his insisting and it was heavenly as usual.

In the Outpost area there were more topiaries and another neat display. The Lion King characters were featured on separate sides. It was so cute- a dad with a rolly-polly little baby was posing like Rafiki holding Simba in front of this while his wife took a picture right before I did.
IMG_9010 - Copy.JPG

DH posed with is two favorites- Timon and Pumbaa.
IMG_9012 - Copy.JPG

For the upcoming release they had a sand sculpture featuring The Jungle Book movie.
IMG_9013 - Copy.JPG

I'm all caught up! I'm a Houstonian with two sons who'll be at POFQ this time next week so we've got a lot in common! I'm thoroughly enjoying your trip report!

Loving your topiary photos, they're so cute!

I'm drooling over Karamell Kuche :goodvibes

I'm all caught up! I'm a Houstonian with two sons who'll be at POFQ this time next week so we've got a lot in common! I'm thoroughly enjoying your trip report!

Welcome to another Houstonian! I'm glad you're following along- it will keep you occupied till your trip. Hope you and your family have fun!

Loving your topiary photos, they're so cute!

I'm drooling over Karamell Kuche :goodvibes

Thanks! I just snapped shots because I didn't want to be "that person"- ya know, taking forever and blocking everyone else's shots. Good thing I have a decent camera.

I'm drooling just thinking about all that caramel goodness too!

Tuesday March 8: The shirt makes sense

Onward we went into the China pavilion. There are so many picturesque spots here that I love, and it's also fun to look through the shopping area.
IMG_9014 - Copy.JPG

I had my eye out for the topiary that was supposed to be featured here, but after walking through the whole space I didn't see it. I asked DH if he had seen the dragon topiary and he responded with "It's right there!" Duh! It blended in so well with the rest of the gardens I missed it.
IMG_9015 - Copy.JPG

The bromeliad plant that makes up the majority of the dragon is so eye-popping! I found out they come in different varieties and want to do some research to see if they'd grow well here.

Of course there was also a bamboo garden. We've thought about using some tall bamboo along our back fence line since it looks neat and gives a little more privacy, so we were reading about them.
IMG_9017 - Copy.JPG

DS didn't want anything to eat, but DH and I wanted to try the vegetable spring rolls with orange sauce from Lotus House. I went to order two and the nice CM told me each order comes with two- good deal. I was thinking it would have the orange sauce that you normally get at take-out Chinese places, but this was more of a creamy sauce with a little spice. DH didn't care for it but I thought it gave a nice contrast to the crisp shell and veggies.
IMG_9019 - Copy.JPG

Next on our tour was the country that used to be our favorite, but now we are all (especially DH) pouting about- Norway. Maelstrom was one of our favorite rides, the boys still have their Viking helmets along with the foam swords, shields, and axes they got when they were little and played with endlessly, and we always had to get a picture with the troll. But now- Frozen is taking over! Not sure when exactly all the new stuff will open based on what we could see of construction, but I'm sure it will be a mad house!
IMG_9023 - Copy.JPG

DH loved the mural inside Maelstrom too, especially the grinning kid who he jokingly says looks like he is going to shank the other kid for his fish.
Disney 2010 442 - Copy.jpg

Well older DS found this shirt online with the kid's head and it says "Maelstrom: Never Forget." We gave it to DH for Christmas and he loves it- and of course had to wear it this day. Other guests didn't make the connection, but all day CM's were pointing, laughing, and commenting on it. DH needed me to document his displeasure with Epcot.
IMG_9022 - Copy.JPG

Well, at least I got to check another topiary off my passport list, and they were pretty.
IMG_9020 - Copy.JPG

Tuesday March 8: The End of the World- Showcase, that is...

We finished off our time in the World Showcase by visiting Mexico. One of my favorite flowers were featured in a garden her called Extraordinary Orchids and they were stunning!
IMG_9026 - Copy.JPG

After checking those out we entered the pavilion, looked through the market place, watched some glass making, and then it was time for a relaxing boat ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour with our favorite Duck.
IMG_9028 - Copy.JPG

DH didn't want anything to eat but DS and I had been looking forward to the shrimp tacos from Jardin de Fiestas all day. We were so excited to get them that we had almost finished them before I remembered to snap a picture!
IMG_9037 - Copy.JPG

The tacos were filled with crispy tempura battered shrimp, caramelized onions that were cooked down just right, and a habanero sauce that gave it spice without overpowering the whole thing- very tasty indeed!

As we were leaving Mexico we found another garden that was very appropriately placed- the Fire Garden. DS found even more amazing hot peppers in addition to more of the Carolina Reapers.
IMG_9033 - Copy.JPG

We made our way to Showcase Plaza to find a great centerpiece- a Minnie and Pluto topiary. Too bad our dog wouldn't wear a sunflower collar- she'd look so cute in it.
IMG_9038 - Copy.JPG

At the end of the bridge we found some more neat topiaries. The first one was from a show the boys used to watch. (Ok, DH and I watched it too, and I still want a naked mole rat.) Phineas and Ferb looked totally cool!
IMG_9039 - Copy.JPG

Ranger Mickey and Chip and Dale were featured in the topiary presented by the National Parks Foundation celebrating their 100th birthday.
IMG_9040 - Copy.JPG

For anyone interested you can go to their website to find parks in your area and find out what days have free entry this year.
IMG_9041 - Copy.JPG

Oh wow, there ARE some different topiaries than when we were there in 2013 and 2015! The ranger one is adorable, and when we went last year Anna and Elsa were over in FW - well, by the entrance to WS where you go either left or right....not sure exactly what to call it. And the dragon was probably in China but we didn't see it :( That one is cool!

Norway used to be my favorite pavilion too, but I'm not a Frozen fan. I don't want to bash it, and I don't mind a little of it.....I was very sad when they changed the display in the Stave Church. And of course when they closed Maelstrom :sad2: We'll try FEA in November because I like to try everything, but it's not like I'm dying to try it!

the vegetable spring rolls with orange sauce from Lotus House.
Mmmm :cloud9: When DH and I were at F&G last year we split like 3 orders of these lol. We loved that sauce!

This makes me want to go in the spring sometime to experience this festival! I'll probably have to wait until I retire from teaching though! Although, maybe I could save up a few personal days and take an extended long weekend!!!

Exactly! All the beautiful flowers and topiaries! AND the nice weather and low crowds! WOW! I really want to go early March now! I have been in mid May when the F & G festival was going on so I have seen the flowers and topiaries. So, creative and beautiful.

Thanks Sydney for taking and sharing your photos! I have saved some to my computer so I can watch a slideshow later and imagine I am at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter