Sure he has his Disney driver's license... a March 2016 Trip Report

After some online research I chose Apple for the size and price- $170 from Sat. at 3pm till the following Sun. at 2pm

Hello! Great report so far! Can't wait to read more! Can I ask you about your scooter rental. We are headed in June and will have to get one for my mom. How did Apple work out for you?

Joining in! I saw you are a scrapbooker - I am obsessed with scrapbooking. currently I'm working on my honeymoon trip to WDW from last year. I need it to get done before our next trip in August.

joining in!!! cant wait to read more!

Thanks for joining! I hope to get a little done tonight.

Great report so far...your son was totally in need of an ECV.

Thank you! We were so glad we got him the ECV. He got the cast off last week and is in a boot now- yippee!

Hello! Great report so far! Can't wait to read more! Can I ask you about your scooter rental. We are headed in June and will have to get one for my mom. How did Apple work out for you?

Thanks- hope you stick around! We had absolutely no problems with Apple, but since we've been back I've noticed a lot of negative comments about them on here. They were the least expensive, they delivered and picked up from the resort, and we had zero battery issues. He only charged at night in the room, never at any outlets in the parks or anything, and it never even showed it losing battery power throughout the day. It had pretty good pick up too- like if he needed to scoot out of the way- and the smaller size made it easy to get on and off the buses and go through lines. It was for up to 170lb. Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.

Joining in! I saw you are a scrapbooker - I am obsessed with scrapbooking. currently I'm working on my honeymoon trip to WDW from last year. I need it to get done before our next trip in August.

I love scrapbooking! I find that I take so many pictures intending to "only put the good ones in the scrapbook" but then I still end up with over 1000 on a Disney trip, so I end up having to make two books! I started making one when our older DS was about 1 year old, and do about one book per year. I have to get caught up on my regular one so I can start doing the newest Disney one! Then I also told DS I'd do one for him and his GF's trip last Dec... good thing I got a Hobby Lobby gift card for my birthday! I bet your honeymoon one will turn out amazing!

Sunday March 6: Oh, what a beautiful morning!

Ok, you're going to imagine me singing that, because if I actually did, it wouldn't be so beautiful. But I felt like singing when I woke up! We all got a great night's sleep and woke up somewhere around 8:00. Since we were in no rush to get anywhere we took our time getting ready and I even decorated the ECV with some dollar store garland I found with a Mardi Grad look. It ended up being really easy to find it the whole trip because of that. As you can also see in the picture the ECV fit nicely next to the bed and wasn't in the way when we opened and closed the door to go outside.
IMG_8679 - Copy.JPG

While the guys got ready I enjoyed a little time outside taking in the wonderful views. It was so quiet and peaceful. Occasionally I'd see someone jogging or people walking but for most of the time we were there no one was on the paths.
IMG_8680 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8681 - Copy.JPG

We decided to walk over to POR for breakfast. From our building 6 it didn't take more than 10 minutes, and we were walking very leisurely while DS was practicing driving his ECV. We figured we'd rather him get used to it when no one was around versus when we were in a crowded area. Now he's driven a car but technically doesn't have his actual driver's license yet. I was nervous that someone at the parks would make a fuss about him being too young to use it. He took to it rather quickly, figuring out how to turn tight, stop quickly, back up (he had to pull a Mater for a second), and parallel park. DH and I deemed that he was worthy of his Disney driver's license! We just had to hope no one would actually ask for a copy of it!
IMG_8682 - Copy.JPG

Soon we were making our way back onto the other side of the "Port"- the Riverside! I definitely recommend taking a walk from one resort to the other if you stay at Port Orleans because it is very relaxing and scenic. Up next- breakfast!
IMG_8683 - Copy.JPG

I considered staying at one of the Port Orleans for my upcoming trip but changed my mind to Art of Animation, but your pictures are beautiful and they're definitely on my to-stay list!!!! Can't wait to see what breakfast looks like! Yum

Hi! FANTASTIC TR! Love all the great photos and the details you are including! When I saw your room view of the river it looked so similar to the one I had when I stayed at PORFQ, except my view was from higher up. And then I saw your room number! I couldn't believe it. Our rooms were in the exact same location except yours was on the second floor and mine was on the third floor. Here is the photo I took of our room number and a couple of photos of our view.

Following along. Couldn't help noticing your son has a poster of my-boyfriend-tom-brady. (That's how he's referred to in my house -- never just Tom Brady.) :)

Sunday March 6: Oh, what a beautiful morning!

Ok, you're going to imagine me singing that, because if I actually did, it wouldn't be so beautiful. But I felt like singing when I woke up! We all got a great night's sleep and woke up somewhere around 8:00. Since we were in no rush to get anywhere we took our time getting ready

While the guys got ready I enjoyed a little time outside taking in the wonderful views. It was so quiet and peaceful. Occasionally I'd see someone jogging or people walking but for most of the time we were there no one was on the paths.
View attachment 158804

Soon we were making our way back onto the other side of the "Port"- the Riverside! I definitely recommend taking a walk from one resort to the other if you stay at Port Orleans because it is very relaxing and scenic. Up next- breakfast!
View attachment 158807

Great photos! You are so right in how relaxing and peaceful PORFQ is. I, too, really loved looking out and seeing the views. Like you, I only saw a few people on the pathways, just a couple of joggers early in the morning. That might have something to do with the fact that I was there in mid February and not during the summer months. Haley and I also liked taking the walk between POR and PORFQ. :love:
CopyofDSC_0746_zps78a70045.jpg
[/URL]

That was a wonderful idea you and your hubby had to have your son practice driving the scooter around the pathways at PORFQ before using it in the parks! I bet he picked up on it faster that I would! Impressive that he did a "Mater" and even parallel parked it! :car:Cool!

I considered staying at one of the Port Orleans for my upcoming trip but changed my mind to Art of Animation, but your pictures are beautiful and they're definitely on my to-stay list!!!! Can't wait to see what breakfast looks like! Yum
[/QUOTE]

As I am thinking about my next trip, I keep going back and forth between Art of Animation or PORFQ. I think it would be fun to try out AoA - it just looks so interesting and fun. But then I remember how wonderful PORFQ was due to the beautiful relaxing surroundings and its compact size. I just can't decide. I guess it is a good thing that I have plenty of time to decide since my next trip is so far away.

Following along! We've stayed at POFQ a couple times and did the walk between the two, it is very pretty. Glad DS took to the scooter quickly!

We have visited POFQ to eat before, but I really didn't realize how compact the resort is and how close everything is.
This is so totally just cementing my decision to stay here on our elusive "next" trip. (You know the one that always begins its planning stage while on a Disney Trip. :rotfl2:)

Well someone sprinkled some pixie dust on us because we came out of the elevator and only had to go right down one side of the building to get to our room- super convenient and easy to remember! The view was amazing!
:cheer2: Awesome!

Once everything was in the room, DH and I unpacked clothes, hanging some (yes, I bring hangers from home, don't judge:P)
Hey I did the same this trip. Transfering a garment bag is so much easier. ::yes::

even all the medicine I brought- basically our entire medicine cabinet just in case, and thankfully we didn't need any of all week
:thumbsup2

even decorated the ECV with some dollar store garland I found with a Mardi Grad look.
:thumbsup2 Awesome and smart Idea.

As you can also see in the picture the ECV fit nicely next to the bed and wasn't in the way when we opened and closed the door to go outside.
SIgh... Don't want to give away too much for my TR but we would have loved that much space.

We figured we'd rather him get used to it when no one was around versus when we were in a crowded area.
:thumbsup2:rotfl::drive:

I definitely recommend taking a walk from one resort to the other if you stay at Port Orleans because it is very relaxing and scenic.
::yes:: Again won't give away my TR but ::yes::

We want to stay at AoA too- we visited last trip and loved it, so we'll probably stay there when other DS comes. Since it was just the three of us we would have gotten a Little Mermaid room- yea, I don't think they would go for that! But the other three themes are so cute I couldn't decide. What area are you hoping to get?

Hi! FANTASTIC TR! Love all the great photos and the details you are including! When I saw your room view of the river it looked so similar to the one I had when I stayed at PORFQ, except my view was from higher up. And then I saw your room number! I couldn't believe it. Our rooms were in the exact same location except yours was on the second floor and mine was on the third floor. Here is the photo I took of our room number and a couple of photos of our view.

That is such a coincidence- how funny! Loved your pics too! I'll be reading your TR!

Following along. Couldn't help noticing your son has a poster of my-boyfriend-tom-brady. (That's how he's referred to in my house -- never just Tom Brady.) :)

Hilarious! Yes, Tom Brady is his idol! He's been a huge fan since he was like 5 and taught himself to play the Madden football video game. We have no family from NE and no one else in the family likes them, but he doesn't care. The Patriots are his team! (I'm actually surprised he didn't wear his Patriots beanie that looks just like Brady's on the trip!)

Following along! We've stayed at POFQ a couple times and did the walk between the two, it is very pretty. Glad DS took to the scooter quickly!

Welcome- thanks for joining! I can definitely see why POFQ is so popular now.

I'm loving your report. I hate that your son fractured his ankle before leaving, but it sounds like the ECV worked out great. And the comment your husband made about getting to the front of the line....lol....Yeah that sounds like something I'd say. I can't wait to read more. Keep it coming.

Ugh, super long day at work yesterday, I felt cruddy with the sinus drainage I've been having, and we had Scouts, so no updates. But back today and feeling better!

Sunday March 6: Breakfast at Riverside Mill's Food Court

Mmmmm... breakfast time! I am the kind of person that needs breakfast in the morning, preferably before I do anything else, while DH and DS can wait a while. So we're on vacation- I compromise. But really, after a while I get cranky if I don't eat, so after the leisurely morning I was ready for some food! I knew I wasn't going to eat anything too big because we would be grabbing lunch before our afternoon activity. Breakfast this morning would be here:
IMG_8690 - Copy.JPG

The food court is fairly large and you have to go into a center area and then to different stations depending on what you want to order. What I do like is that there is a menu listed that includes pictures on the screens above the stations so you can get an idea of portion sizes. We picked out what we wanted and also were able to pick up our rapid refill mugs because they had all four colors out. DH picked green, DS picked blue, and I picked purple (they have red too). DH and I waited to pay while DS went and got a table. It was pretty crowded, but it was a Sunday and it seemed many people had slept in like us. The CM that helped us at checkout was named Art (I remember because that was my great uncle's name) and he was so sweet- an older gentleman who we enjoyed chatting a bit with. We dropped the food at the table, and went to get our drinks. I was filling DS's mug and mine and the drink station was pretty busy too. He came with me to see what he wanted to drink. We got back to the table and I guess DH was pretty hungry because this is the picture I got of his biscuits and gravy and side of breakfast potatoes!

IMG_8687 - Copy.JPG

You get the idea of how big a serving is though. He said it was all good. DS ordered the bounty platter. I swear he remembered them from last trip because he asked if they had one here before we even walked in. He just doesn't like eggs and I do so I said I'd eat them. it's a pretty big serving- French toast, breakfast potatoes, bacon, sausage, eggs, and a biscuit- and he was plenty full from it. He even shared a piece of bacon with me that he couldn't finish, so he must have been full- cuz he loves bacon!
IMG_8685 - Copy.JPG

Since I knew I was getting the eggs I just chose a cherry Danish from the bakery. Yummy as always! I love sweet stuff for breakfast anyway.
IMG_8686 - Copy.JPG

While we were eating we were checking out the giant mill inside. It's pretty interesting to watch and just another cool Disney detail that I bet a lot of people don't even notice.
IMG_8684 - Copy.JPG

After thoroughly stuffing ourselves we left out the back door and came around to check out the water wheel of the mill. The whole resort has some wonderful photo opportunities and DS took a picture of us here since he remembered we had one from last trip when we visited.
IMG_8689 - Copy.JPG

We took a nice scenic walk back to POFQ and chilled in the room for a while. The second half of "Up" was on Disney channel and we were watching that. You might guess from our shirts where we were headed next, but first we needed to grab some lunch since we didn't know what they would have at the event.

Sunday March 6: Lunch from Good's Food To Go at Old Key West

Since we were on our way to a Spring Training game in Kissimmee to root for our favorite baseball team, the Houston Astros, and since we had no idea what their concession stands would be like, I suggested we pop "next door" to Old Key West and grab something to take with us from Good's Food To Go.
IMG_8692 - Copy.JPG

We've eaten breakfast at Olivia's and visited the resort before so I knew we could get something fresh and quick. They hadn't started cooking the grill items yet but said they would in about 10 minutes, so we just had a seat and enjoyed the beautiful weather (though I think DS might have been looking at some other scenery:rolleyes2).
IMG_8695 - Copy.JPG

It's right by the pool so guests can walk right up to the counter and it has the beverage station for the mugs. When we ordered our food it was prepared fresh and we didn't have to wait long at all. They even packed it up in a sturdy bag for us since we were taking it go to.
IMG_8694 - Copy.JPG

We hopped right on the road and headed for Kissimmee. The directions from my phone had us get on the toll road (good thing I had cash) but it was only $2 and we were pulling up to the stadium in no time. Now there was a rip off- $10 parking! And people complain about Disney...
IMG_8699 - Copy.JPG

We had 45 minutes before the game was staring so we rolled down the windows and busted out the food. DH chose to get a burger and fries- no clue why as we were going to be outside in the heat- but he said it was pretty good and had stayed warm on the drive.
IMG_8701 - Copy.JPG

DS got the ham and cheese sandwich. He said it was filling and the bread was good.
IMG_8700 - Copy.JPG

I got the chicken Caesar wrap. I liked that it came on a spinach tortilla and it was stuffed full of chicken too, not just a little chicken and mainly lettuce. The other helpful thing was that they didn't put the Caesar dressing on it so it didn't get mushy, but it came with a packet of dressing. I just squirted a little on as I ate it.
IMG_8702 - Copy.JPG

DS and I had also grabbed a bag of chips to split but were too full so we ended up eating them later on the way back after the game. It was a good quick lunch choice and we were able to get something better than in the ball park plus fill up our mugs. I became obsessed with pomegranate lemonade on this trip. It's so refreshing!

Hello! Loving your trip report! Know what I love even more??? YOUR SHIRT IN THIS PIC!
My fav character is The Evil Queen, but Maleficent is a close second ( and it was even before the movie came out! Lol!)
I'm from the Charleston Area originally - I know what you mean about the traffic! I live in New England now, but the last time I was at Gillette was for a Jimmy Buffet concert! ( Don't tell your DS)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 3
We want to stay at AoA too- we visited last trip and loved it, so we'll probably stay there when other DS comes. Since it was just the three of us we would have gotten a Little Mermaid room- yea, I don't think they would go for that! But the other three themes are so cute I couldn't decide. What area are you hoping to get?
Hahaha you're so right- I don't think your husband and son would go for the Little Mermaid room either!!! My boyfriend and I are actually staying at a Little Mermaid themed room, but he's never been to Disney so the theme is really cool to him!! I can't wait! We leave one month from tomorrow! We wish they offered different standard rooms though. We are huge Lion King fans, and would love to stay at a standard room themed like that! We were stuck between a moderate or AoA. We chose AoA for the price. Plus we don't think too much Disney is a thing- and love the idea of a heavily themed Disney resort!!! But we will definitely be trying the moderates someday!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter