Sure he has his Disney driver's license... a March 2016 Trip Report

OK I admit, I find this funny :rolleyes1 But I understand how you felt. The town I live in is Wappingers Falls but we're right next door to Poughkeepsie, as in like 5 minutes away. Poughkeepsie is more well-known mostly due to it being a (former) big IBM hub plus there are 2 colleges here - Vassar and Marist. Anyway, Poughkeepsie comes up fairly often in movies and TV shows that take place in NYC since we're only 90 minutes away from the city, and even though we are far from being a boonie-type area, whenever they mention Poughkeepsie it's usually in some derogatory way or to make fun of the area :sad2: Doesn't make me too happy!

We found it funny too, but in a roll your eyes, it figures, type of way! I've heard of Poughkeepsie but not referred to in a bad way. I think that goes for everywhere though. There are towns around the Charleston area that are known for being hick towns, and same in Houston.

This was a HUGE embarrassment years ago for this state that I still laugh at, although I have trouble listening to it- it's actually painful!

I really have to bite my tongue NOT to tell other guests to be considerate and offer their seats- especially teenagers or adults who are completely capable of standing.
I feel the same way! My DD would give me that look--hoping I wouldn't say anything!

Wednesday March 9: Are we too old for extra magic hours?

After the first day since we got on the bus first with DS getting loaded we started to take seats, and then get up when someone elderly or with kids came on to make sure they got a seat. I really have to bite my tongue NOT to tell other guests to be considerate and offer their seats- especially teenagers or adults who are completely capable of standing. Anywho, off my soapbox...

Back at POFQ we stopped at Sassagoula to fill our mugs, strolled back to the room, DS had some fudge, and it was off to bed for us.

I feel the same way! My DD would give me that look--hoping I wouldn't say anything!

I am the same way! I get up and offer my seat and I am always saddened to see so many young people who do not seem to care or just unaware or choose not to do so.
Like MickeyReeds, my family will give me the look too -- hoping I don't say anything. This look is also used when I see disruptive kids, small to large. The teacher comes out in me and I really have to watch myself. I have at times spoken to some of them firmly letting them know what they were doing was unsafe or even just extremely rude (butting in line, etc). But I try to control it and not do it too often.

I am the same way! I get up and offer my seat and I am always saddened to see so many young people who do not seem to care or just unaware or choose not to do so.
Like MickeyReeds, my family will give me the look too -- hoping I don't say anything. This look is also used when I see disruptive kids, small to large. The teacher comes out in me and I really have to watch myself. I have at times spoken to some of them firmly letting them know what they were doing was unsafe or even just extremely rude (butting in line, etc). But I try to control it and not do it too often.
LOL I'm a teacher too!!! I may have been know to use out "the look"! :rolleyes1

Y'all are funny with "the look!" My kids have no problem with me giving people a look of disgust, and DH will say things like he's talking to us but loud enough for others to hear like "hint, hint.., we're talking about you!" DS even said something this time about these two boys around his age on the bus one morning. He asked loud enough for them to hear something like "Should I tell those kids they should get up and give up their seats for that lady and her kids?" DH said something back like "No, it's not your place, and you can't help it if they want to be rude!"

I always used to give up my seat but even though I look healthy and am only 43 I have serious back problems and can't stand up for very long. I'll be sure to keep looking down so I don't get the "look" :rotfl2: Hubby always gives up his seat though :)

Thursday March 10: Breakfast at Fort Wilderness

This morning we had an adr at Trail's End for 9:25. I was really excited about this breakfast because after reading the menu choices for the buffet I realized it was just the kind of stuff DH would love since he's more of a down home country cooking loving person. I personally like buffets because I like to try a little of everything and always have trouble deciding what to get from a normal menu. DS likes them because he can eat all he wants! We woke up on our own, got ready, and were out the door and on the way to the car by 9:00.
IMG_9350 - Copy.JPG

The scooter was pretty light so we got it loaded and I pulled up the GPS on my phone so we could make our way to Fort Wilderness. We pulled in the entrance and the friendly CM asked for id, which DH gave him and said we were just going to eat breakfast.
IMG_9354 - Copy.JPG

The CM asked if we'd ever been here before and DH replied yes before I could and drove in. "We haven't been here before!" I told him. He got confused with Wilderness Lodge which we've been to multiple times. He is not the best person with directions. I said we could just ask someone at the check in part but as we pulled up there was no one there so DH just drove on in, saying there had to be signs somewhere to tell us where to go. I pulled out my phone again and tried to map how to get to Trail's End. We followed that, got to the end of the road, and couldn't find a parking lot. DH said there had to be one somewhere so he turned right and then we were on a road that seemed to just keep going! I was trying to figure out where we were on the map while trying to watch the road and was really freaking out- I hate to be lost and it makes me panic. I was almost crying thinking I was ruining the day, plus I was hungry, my menopause was getting to me I think- I was just a mess. DH pulled up to a little store and said for me to calm down, just go inside and ask how to get there. I really didn't want to, but he said if he got the directions we'd end up even more lost, so I reluctantly went in. The nice lady working in there explained that we had to go back to the entrance, park, and take an internal bus to get to the restaurant. Huh? Where had I missed that in my planning? I guess I need to pay more attention.

Back in the car I explained to DH and directed him how to get back to the entrance. I was still freaking out a bit saying we'd be late for our adr, but he said he was sure it would be fine. We only had to wait a few minutes for a bus and eventually made it to Pioneer Hall.
IMG_9355 - Copy.JPG

Of course DH was right- they didn't cancel our adr even though we were almost 20 minutes late, but had moved it into a different system. The CM at check in was very sweet and it just took her a few minutes to get us in the computer right and they got us seated.

While we waited for our server we got a look around. There's a nice rustic décor with a homey feel.
IMG_9358 - Copy.JPG

There is not a lot of room in here but it also wasn't that crowded this late in the morning. I noticed they could accommodate large groups too. There was a group of 8 and a group of 13 next to us- college kids on Spring Break who I must say were very well mannered. I ordered coffee, the guys got juice, and our server said we could head up to the buffet. I loved the variety here- sweet stuff, breads, cereals, fruits, meats, a nice mixture of healthy and decadent.

DS got some Mickey waffles, biscuits, ham, sausage, and bacon (such a carnivore), a cinnamon roll, and donut holes. He went back and got some cereal too. He devoured every bit of it and loved it since he got all of his favorite breakfast things at one meal.
IMG_9360 - Copy.JPG

DH got bacon, ham, hashbrown casserole, which he said was delicious, and one donut hole (he's not much for sweets in the morning). He also went back and got fruit and a biscuit and gravy. He really liked this meal and suggested we come back in the future.
IMG_9361 - Copy.JPG

I loaded my plate up with a little of everything and I was not disappointed with any of it. Sausage and bacon- cooked to perfection; Mickey waffle and donut hole- great as always; fruit- all fresh; breakfast pizza- I wanted a whole one, super yummy; cheese Danish- flaky and wonderful; mini quiche- tender and flavorful; bread pudding- out of this world; make your own yogurt parfait- nice choice of toppings to go with the two types of yogurt, plus you make it in a mason jar- adorable!
IMG_9362 - Copy.JPG

We all absolutely enjoyed the meal and will certainly be coming back. I would recommend it to anyone, but because of the travel time and logistics, would advise you to visit on a non park day or even on a day when you're maybe doing a party or event in the evening. You'll come for the breakfast but there are other things to enjoy at this resort!

Oh man, I thought I had my TS's pretty much set for Nov. but I REALLY think I want to add breakfast at Trails End...... I've wanted to eat there for awhile but like you said, it's not the most convenient to get to. But I tried that bread pudding in Jan. at Boma and I LOVE it, and this way I could have it again plus try a new-to-us place :scratchin

Oh man, I thought I had my TS's pretty much set for Nov. but I REALLY think I want to add breakfast at Trails End...... I've wanted to eat there for awhile but like you said, it's not the most convenient to get to. But I tried that bread pudding in Jan. at Boma and I LOVE it, and this way I could have it again plus try a new-to-us place :scratchin

If you can fit it in I highly recommend it. My next update will give you another reason to visit.

I thought next time it would also be easier for us to take a bus to MK then boat to Fort Wilderness. It may not cut down on travel time, but it would mean a boat ride in the morning!

Thursday March 10: The Tri-Circle D Farm and Ranch

Walking on the way to breakfast I was still upset about the transportation mix-up, until I saw what was right next to the restaurant. I am a huge animal lover and even though I am allergic to horses I couldn't wait to go over and say hi after we ate. First we went to look at the ponies at the farm area.
IMG_9364 - Copy.JPG

There are mulch type paths around their enclosures so DS could drive his ECV through and see them. The inside of the enclosures that you can go in are sand so we couldn't go in there. This was probably better for me since I would have wanted to pet all over and snuggle them- and then would have been sneezing the rest of the day! Other guests were enjoying their up close encounters though. They also offer pony rides for little ones.
IMG_9363 - Copy.JPG

Next we stopped at the blacksmith shop. Two gentlemen were working there shoeing two horses.
IMG_9367 - Copy.JPG

It was neat to see them work on these and DS was especially intrigued by this process and asked some questions. They were very informative and were happy to share their knowledge. I think younger kids would also love to see these guys in action.

IMG_9368 - Copy.JPG

We also made a stop at the ranch to check out the big barn. There is a large field where they let the horses out at times. All of the horses used on WDW property stay here. I remembered seeing a group about to start a trail ride at the entrance to Fort Wilderness when we had arrived. I thought that would be a great down day activity- breakfast at Trail's end, a visit to the farm and ranch, and then a trail ride. I would so plan this for next time, but I need to remember to get some non-drowsy allergy meds from my doctor!
IMG_9369 - Copy.JPG

I was so excited to get to go inside and meet some of the horses! The cutest thing was that they each had their own plaque with a Disney id with their name and breed, then a fact about them and their food list.

This guy was a super friendly Clydesdale named Skyler. He was very interested in us and I had to really resist petting him! There was also another Clydesdale named Rookie.
IMG_9372 - Copy.JPG

DH's favorite horse was this Belgian named Sarge. His coloring was gorgeous.
IMG_9380 - Copy.JPG

My favorite was Sully, a shy dapple grey Percheron. It said his coat would get lighter as he got older. There was also the other one colored like him at the blacksmith shop but I forgot to get his name.
IMG_9382 - Copy.JPG

The other horses there were black Percherson, including the one at the blacksmith shop, one name Paul and one named Zilly, and this guy named John.
IMG_9384 - Copy.JPG

He is the lead horse when they hitch the 8 horse team up. This team can pull the 1907 circus calliope that was purchased by Walt Disney himself. They have it on display at the barn and you can listen to the music it play as well.
IMG_9370 - Copy.JPG

We spent about an hour here but easily could have taken more time. It's like a little attraction all its own. Now that I know how accessible it is I will have to stop in to say hello to the horses during every visit from now on!

Thursday March 10: Mini golf at Fantasia Gardens

Ok, so I'm sure you're wondering how a kid in a cast with an ECV is going to play mini golf, right? Well since we've been to the courses before we knew that they have accessible ramps onto each little green so he could drive onto them and then only have to balance on one foot while putting. We had played at Fantasia the first time we golfed back in 2006, and then last trip in 2013 we had done both Fantasia and Winter Summerland (the four of us played the winter course and then the boys played the summer course with the free vouchers we got with our room package). I figured DS would pick the Winter Summerland again but when we asked him which he wanted to do this time he chose Fantasia. DH approved since Sorcerer Mickey is his favorite!
IMG_9386 - Copy.JPG

We got there a few minutes after noon, scanned our magic bands, and were given a tee time of 12:15 by the nice older CM there. I like how they set up times and don't just push guests through. This ensures no group is right on top of the other one and no one feels rushed. We sat down to wait and didn't have long before we were being called back to pick our scorecard, putters, and balls. DH got yellow, DS got blue, and I got pink. I swear the CM was a big real golf enthusiast because he was giving us tips- he was so cute! DS insisted on using the ball wash like it was going to give him an advantage. (you can see the CM in the background of this pic)
IMG_9387 - Copy.JPG

Each of the holes here has a plaque with an introduction to it and a hint as to how to play the hole. They are so neatly themed and challenging as well. When the ball rolls down the xylophone "stairs" here it actually play notes.
IMG_9391 - Copy.JPG

This hole is the one I mentioned in the Epcot part with the Fantasia topiary. You have to hit the ball so it goes through the hole that appears when the mushroom pops up.
IMG_9394 - Copy.JPG

In this picture you can see the accessible ramp in yellow. DS could have stayed in the scooter and driven right onto the course to take this shot. It's great that the whole family can enjoy this activity even if someone has limited mobility. You can also see the fairway course in the background that is similar to a real golf putting green.
IMG_9396 - Copy.JPG

For fun I suggested that everyone stand like an ostrich ballerina while putting on this hole!
IMG_9401 - Copy.JPG

If you get your ball directly through the alligator mouth on this hole you can get a hole in one! (As you can see, DH did not accomplish that this time, but neither did DS or I!) There is another hole that has you trying to shoot through a dancing elephant, and if you are successful it makes an elephant trumpet!
IMG_9404 - Copy.JPG

For this hole you have to shoot the ball into a rotating wheel under a hippo. Depending on where your ball goes into depends where it falls out and rolls. DS ended up timing it perfectly and got a hole in one!
IMG_9405 - Copy.JPG

This hole it probably one of the funniest if you don't know what to expect. You hit the ball from one end of the green to the other, then the path you have to walk on goes right under the brooms with buckets from the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene. Randomly the buckets will shoot water and thankfully didn't get DS as he went by. I did get a little wet though but it felt good as it was getting pretty warm.
IMG_9412 - Copy.JPG

The final hole also has a water feature. It's intended to be a hole in one where your ball is then captured. Somehow DH didn't get it on the first try so he had to go up and take a second shot. He was rewarded for his efforts though by Yensid!
IMG_9420 - Copy.JPG

Side note: I was born on my grandfather's birthday and his middle name was Sidney, so my parents used that as my first name but just changed the spelling to Sydney. I'm sure y'all know that the Sorcerer Yensid is just Disney spelled backwards. But I always thought it was cool that the letters can also be re-arranged to spell Sidney! Coincidence? I think not!

After tallying our scores the winner ended up surprisingly being me with a 51! I swear, I never win at anything, especially with my family, so I was very excited. DH and DS actually tied with 56 each. Some holes were easy for one of us but harder for the others. Holes 8 and 10 we all got 2's on, while hole 17 was the hardest for all of us.

While some may think the price is a bit much for mini golf (it's around $15 per person versus the about $8 per person at our local mini golf places) it is still a great way to relax and have fun while at WDW. We had our admission included on the water parks and more option. We drove here since we had the car from driving to Fort Wilderness, but could have taken a bus to a park and then to the Swan resort and walked right across the street. The Winter Summerland courses can be accessed by bus to Blizzard Beach since it's right next door.

Last edited:
Thursday March 10: Snack lunch at Landscapes of Flavor

It was almost 2:00 and DH and I were only a little hungry, while DS wasn't hungry at all and just wanted a refreshing drink. I had tentatively put Contempo Café in the plans for lunch today, but somehow we ended up at Art of Animation Resort. We've been here to look but haven't eaten here. I have read good reviews of their food court so I figured we'd find something to try. We found a parking spot and headed into Animation Hall.
IMG_9422 - Copy.JPG

We had our mugs with us since we had planned to eat cs at a resort and immediately filled up with some lemonade. Checking out the menu we thought they had a great variety. I reminded the guys that dinner wasn't till 7:20 but DS still said he was full from the late breakfast and even turned down gelato. If I had been more hungry I would have surely tried some as the flavors looked appealing. I think this food court definitely has the best variety of any I've seen. The create your own salad, burger, pizza, and pasta options are great, and the other choices of sandwiches, entrees, snacks, and desserts are really different than the typical choices you find elsewhere. I would find this very appealing if I was going to Disney and planning mid day breaks coming back to the resort. You could eat a different type of lunch every day here and not get bored, plus have the flexibility to eat inside, outside at the pools, or in your room.

DH and I decided to split the meatball sub that came with a side Caesar salad. It was very filling and if I was eating as a regular meal not having been full from a big breakfast I still think we would have had trouble finishing it. If we were on the dining plan and had received a dessert with this, DH and I could have split this meal and been satisfied. We were pleased they made the sub right when we ordered so they bread was crispy, the meatballs and sauce flavorful, and the cheese nice and melty. The salad was crisp and a refreshing accompaniment.
IMG_9423 - Copy.JPG

The seating area here is very large to accommodate lots of people, but the off timing that we were there meant it wasn't busy at all. We found a table in the side area decorated like the Lion King movie.
IMG_9424 - Copy.JPG

What was also nice was that there are multiple drink stations with condiments and napkins so everyone wasn't bunched up at one. They also use real plates and silverware here and have a place for you to place them when you are finished eating, meaning less trash.

Overall our experience here was super and I can see us returning here for a quick lunch, dinner, or snack on a future trip.

Y'all are funny with "the look!" My kids have no problem with me giving people a look of disgust, and DH will say things like he's talking to us but loud enough for others to hear like "hint, hint.., we're talking about you!" DS even said something this time about these two boys around his age on the bus one morning. He asked loud enough for them to hear something like "Should I tell those kids they should get up and give up their seats for that lady and her kids?" DH said something back like "No, it's not your place, and you can't help it if they want to be rude!"

Love this! At times I have been known to use this technique as well with my family to share our insights.

I always used to give up my seat but even though I look healthy and am only 43 I have serious back problems and can't stand up for very long. I'll be sure to keep looking down so I don't get the "look" :rotfl2: Hubby always gives up his seat though :)

Totally understand! I usually reserve "my look" for teenagers that appear to be healthy and show signs of it but I do realize that not all handicaps and health issues can be visibly seen so I try to keep that in mind and not make quick judgments about other people.

Great updates! Another relaxing day. I have been amazed at all the different resorts that you visited on this one trip.

Thursday March 10: Our last visit to Disney Quest- EVER!

After our little lunch we headed back to POFQ to drop off the car and our mugs, then made our way to the boat dock.
IMG_9427 - Copy.JPG

We did have to wait about 15 minutes for a boat since it was mid-afternoon and not a really busy time, but once aboard it was a relaxing ride. We really got spoiled with the boat rides- now I'm going to want every resort we stay at to have a boat option!
IMG_9430 - Copy.JPG

Once at Disney Springs we made our way to the West Side for our last visit to
IMG_9432 - Copy.JPG

We planned to do all of our favorites one last time before we had to leave for our dinner adr. First up was the Nascar racing game, where we took on a bunch of other guests and ultimately teamed up to beat them all a few times in a row for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. (DH get really intense! He looks like this on ride photos from Buzz and TSMM too! DS just looks like "Seriously dad?")
IMG_9433 - Copy.JPG

Next on our must do's was the tank battle game. We had fun trying to improve our scores- and making silly avatars again!
IMG_9436 - Copy.JPG

We found the air hockey table and had a couple games with DH being declared the ultimate winner.
IMG_9437 - Copy.JPG

The guys played some Guitar Hero while I played some puzzle games. We also played pinball.
IMG_9439 - Copy.JPG

DS got us playing basketball while he played football. I still couldn't get the hang of the football one but got pretty good at basketball once I got the rhythm down.
IMG_9442 - Copy.JPG

The last thing we did before we left was play our family's favorite- Pirates of the Caribbean. I was sad older DS couldn't join us for it but I know we'll always have the memories. We headed out of Disney Quest for the last time a little after 7:00. I understand why WDW is getting rid of this attraction, as it was pretty evident while we were there that while the parks were busy, this place was practically a ghost town. We will miss the fun our family had here though.
IMG_9443 - Copy.JPG

Great updates! Another relaxing day. I have been amazed at all the different resorts that you visited on this one trip.

Thank you! I really enjoy visiting other resorts to scope out where we may want to stay on future trips. Last trip in 2013 we did even more resort hopping. It has helped us find places we may want to stay, places we probably wouldn't want to stay, and new places to eat.

Thursday March 10: Dinner at Paradiso 37

We departed Disney Quest a little after 7:00 and strolled over to the Landing area of Disney Springs for our 7:20 dinner at Paradiso 37.
IMG_9450 - Copy.JPG

We checked in early and were seated within five minutes. There is outdoor seating in a covered deck type area on the side of the restaurant so some tables face towards the shopping areas and some face towards the water. There is also indoor seating in two areas: one when you walk in that is completely enclosed and a bit more intimate and quiet and the one we were seated in which had windows open to the water and open doors to the outside area. There was a singer outside performing popular songs and some Latin music as well.
IMG_9445 - Copy.JPG

There were all types of people eating here, from couples old and young, to families with young and/or older kids, to groups of friends of all ages, to what were clearly two different bachelorette groups- one at the table a little behind DH and one at a table a little behind DS and I. If I cared more about the specific atmosphere I would in the future try to request a particular seating areas. We were totally happy where we were though because the music was nice, the breeze coming through the windows felt great, and DS had an Astros game to watch.
IMG_9446 - Copy.JPG

Our server Sonia was prompt, very personable, and gave us top notch service. In fact, as we observed other servers and staff here, everyone seemed to really be hustling, being friendly to every guest, and the food came out quick to everyone. I have read some negatives about Paradiso 37, but we didn't find anything negative about our entire experience- it was one of the best of the trip!

We all ordered water with lime to drink as I think our outside time had us a bit dehydrated feeling. Sonia had no problem keeping our glasses full the whole time and our food came out in no time. DS must have built up an appetite from not eating since breakfast because he ordered the nachos off the appetizer menu that are supposed to be for two. He ate most of it but did take some to go that he ended up snacking on another day. This could easily be split as a meal between two normal people. He enjoyed the thick well flavored chile con carne, warm queso, and fresh jalapenos (as opposed to pickled ones) and pico de gallo (we're both weird in that we don't like uncooked tomatoes unless it's in pico de gallo).
IMG_9447 - Copy.JPG

DH got the chicken quesadillas which he loved. This was also on the appetizer menu but made a great meal. He said the chicken was well seasoned and juicy and the tortillas were just crispy enough.
IMG_9448 - Copy.JPG

I bet you thought I ordered some kind of taco, right? I did have a hard time choosing since there are so many delicious sounding options, but decided on the pineapple bacon burger and I was blown away with how amazing it tasted! The burger itself was thick and juicy, the melted gouda was a wonderful compliment, the bacon perfectly crispy, the pineapple chutney had poblano peppers with a sweet and spicy kick, and the hearty bun held it all together beautifully. this was probably one of the best burgers I've ever had! The crisp fries were just the right amount to be a good side.
IMG_9449 - Copy.JPG

Our overall experience at Paradiso 37, from the atmosphere, service, food quality and taste, and value, were superb. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys this type of food.

After our meal we were all stuffed as we waddled back through Disney Springs to the boat dock. As we were leaving we could see fireworks over the Cirque du Soleil venue which was a prefect ending to the evening.
IMG_9451 - Copy.JPG

On our way back up to our room we spotted a bunny hanging around the garden area outside our room. We had a good laugh about this since last time we had a bunny we kept seeing was when we were staying at CSR in section 6B. We dubbed him the 6B Bunny and I kept including pictures of him for "good luck" in cards I made for DS for his band competitions during that year and the next. Coincidentally we were staying in building 6 at POFQ so this was our 6 Bunny for the trip.
IMG_9462 - Copy.JPG

We were all in bed before 10:00 not only because we were tired, but because we knew we had a great park day planned for tomorrow!

Your food at Paradiso looks so good! We may try and squeeze that one in, maybe on the day before we leave when we return to Orlando from Daytona!

The food pictures of Paradise 37 looked wonderful, especially the pineapple burger.

Maybe Disney could put the PoC ride from Disney Quest into one of the Imagination Buildings in EPCOT. I think those two attractions needs a major overhaul. There really isn't much to them now. I wish they would bring the body war attraction back or just something better.

No more hot breakfast at Seasons and no more waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow?? Whaaaaat?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter