River Country

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by Tri-circle-D, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

I found it linked through Twitter. I'm a Disboards regular, but I'm no camper, so I don't frequent this board. Interesting pictures though. I have great memories of River Country! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Edit: and it's here: http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/12/17/river-country-waterpark-beyond-hope-of-repair/

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kurtisnelson

kurtisnelson Somewhere deep inside WDW

Yeah, that is probably responsible for 10,000 or so page views. (I'm the server guy for TDB)

I have an internship with WDI coming up next fall, I might actually have credentials to get over to Discovery Island then :)

4. jmms1224

jmms1224 Mouseketeer

It's also linked on wesh.com under the theme park section

5. NomadRip

NomadRip Earning My Ears

This thread was also added as a reference page on the Wikipedia page for River Country.

Great pictures. I've never been there. It really is amazing how fast nature is taking it back. Things grow fast and well out here.

6. DisCamper

DisCamper Just waiting for the next WDW trip

Great job Andrew! I think you now have the most views in the least amount of time. Your pics are now on 4 different blogs AND Twitter! Has the Today show contacted you yet to find out how you did this?? I hear they pay for interviews. It will pretty much impossible for me to top this - again, great job!

7. BradyBz12

BradyBz12 1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

Holy crap - the news station site picked it up too?!

Maybe they're looking to hire a new investigative reporter? :rolleyes1

8. Darkeklaw

Darkeklaw Earning My Ears

I saw this on the Allspark in our general discussion board.

By our board member Slander.

Maybe Disney will use the only site for a new Marvel themed exhibit, seeing as they recently bought Marvel comics.

9. rock_doctor

rock_doctor DIS Veteran

10. BradyBz12

This thing is definitely going viral. You can see the big jump in views every time the link gets posted somewhere new. It's jumped more than 15,000 since this a.m!

11. RweTHEREyet

RweTHEREyet DIS Veteran

I am sorry I looked at these. I would have rather not seen what has become of River Country.

12. Disco

Disco Hail Eris!

I saw a couple pictures, and a short utube film (thanks by the way), but what would make this thread really complete is all the pictures of the old (in use) water park as possible.
    I went when I was a child, some 30 years ago, and still have some memories of the place. I remember the barrel bridge and the swings...
    Scary thing is a couple of the pictures and maybe even the film strip could very well have me in the picture somewhere.
    Haunting really.
    BTW, was there anything left of the nature trail when these pictures were taken?

13. RvUsa

RvUsa <font color=blue>John, the special Dis'r formerly

Holy crap Andrew, how are you every going to be able to do any more undercover work? You are more famous than Tiger... :lmao:, well maybe not, but you are my hero!

14. IslandHtsCampers

IslandHtsCampers Nothing beats campin at the Fort

Wow-- This was really cool. I went to river country once in 1986. We walked in at park opening and got chased out at closing.

15. YesDear

YesDear <font color=red>Admired by the Tag Fairy for such

I am certain Disney would not be thrilled that those pictures were taken. I kind of relate seeing these pictures to seeing the aftermath of a storm. You really want to look but it is kind of voyeuristic. Sometimes it is better to let someone or something rest in peace.

16. Donna

Donna Where Magic Lives

I am going to link it up to my blog too. i want disney to do something with this valuable land!

17. BradyBz12

I was cruising an old photo thread on the Theme Parks community board and ran across some great photos someone took of RC from when they were there as a kid. HERE

Also Discovery Island pics HERE

More RC/DI pics HERE

18. Yzerbear19

Yzerbear19 I'm beautifully tragic - Elphaba (Wicked)

I never went to River Country, but it is so sad to see those photos of it today. It looks like it was a really neat place. So sad to see that Disney has just left it to rot. Incredible photos! Thanks for sharing! :)

19. disneyfreakjackie

disneyfreakjackie <font color="blue">The only thing better than a Di

Honestly ... I think Disney has enough $$$ to plow this over!!! :scared:

20. ckpegasus102313

ckpegasus102313 Earning My Ears

It seems like a huge disaster happened, and everyone just ran out instead of being killed. Especially with the shack having garbage all over it and the banner left on the ground along with the tube. I mean people could have atleast cleaned up the garbage. This is a nice spot of land that they could utilize, and its just wasteing time, but i guess not money, there is no upkeep!

21. Melrosgirl

Melrosgirl <font color=navy>Would win @ hide n seek ;-)<br><f

Wow. Major memories brought back for me. I vividly remember the kiddie cove section. I was very upset when they closed it in 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.