River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, what's next on your list of off limits areas? How about Discovery Island?:thumbsup2

Funny you should mention Discovery Island. I am willing to bet that similar conditions exist out there. I have been mulling over some ideas on how to get out there. I think that I will need an accomplice. Let me know when you will be at the Fort next, and we can team up on this one. ;)

I don't know how you do it!! You get into places no one else would even think about going!!

These pictures remind me of scenes from History Channel's "Life After People" program. Sad...sad...sad.

Deb- These photos remind me of that show, too! It is amazing how nature reclaims developed land. In many of the photos, you can see that trees are growing in areas that had been cleared. I am amazed at the grass that is growing in the area that used to be Kiddie Cove. Even if they don't tear this all out, it will probably be unrecognisable in another ten years.

RiverCountry096.jpg

TCD, what is on the plaque in this photo. I would think it might be a nice piece of memorabilia for some RC cast members who may have been recognized for their service.

It is a shame the place is just left to rot. At least clean up the garbage. GEEZ! :scared1:

Here are a couple of zooms of the plaque:

RiverCountry107.jpg

RiverCountry108.jpg

You know the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words? It sure applies here! Think about the irony. Years ago, some management type created this plaque as a way to recognize excellence. Castmembers probably worked for that recognition, and their excellence was memorialized. Now, this plaque sits in a pile of rubbish in the middle of decay. Amazing. In a very sad way.

Andrew sorry I missed you at Trails End when you meet up with Matt & Cheryl. My Cheryle and I would have liked to have met you. You give great fort reports and Pics.

Todd- One of these days, we will need to meet up. I'm sure it will happen.

TCD

What was Kiddie Cove? All my trips there and I just not cannot recall that part. Was it a pool? or a little park?

What was Kiddie Cove? All my trips there and I just not cannot recall that part. Was it a pool? or a little park?

If you look at the map that I posted in my first post, above, you can see the Kiddie Cove area is off on one side of the barrel bridge. It had four small slides, and a shallow water area with sand all around where kids could play. There were also floating objects anchored in the water that kids could climb on. I remember that there was a big rubber log that my kids loved to climb on. My DD's were very young when River Country was last open, and we spent a lot of time in the Kiddie Cove. The drawing of this area on the map I posted is pretty accurate. This is what those slides look like today:

RiverCountry061.jpg

As you can see, there is no water in this area- just long grass.

TCD

Andrew I can get you to Discovery Island I would love to do it PM me and let me know if you are in?

Those are amazing pics! And I'm just a bit bummed that someone just trashed that partners in excellence plaque :( My mother won that one year - its still one her fave highlights from her WDW career. Lots of CMs hold that achievement in high esteem.

I'm more than a little curious how you gained access tho

Those pictures are incredible! Last trip down the gate was up so we took our bikes back and I tried to explain to my boys and hubby what was behind the fencing and we were climbing up to see what we could see but then got kind of nervous as a cm came out to watch us....never said anything except good morning and stood there waiting till we rode our bikes back out and then he shut the gate. I am saddened to see what has become RC. I have great memories from when I was young. Unfortunately when I took my own family to WDW for the first time, RC was closed for refurbishment (fall 1999) and closed permanently by the next time we got down. Thank you for sharing these pics.

Andrew I can get you to Discovery Island I would love to do it PM me and let me know if you are in?

This is one of those things I just want to watch. I can see Todd and TCD in camo heading to DI. Is Richie building a submarine golf cart for this voyage as we speak? Are you looking for a millionaire sponsor to fund this trip? You do realize after this is conquered this is the final frontier right? I mean what else could top it?

This is one of those things I just want to watch. I can see Todd and TCD in camo heading to DI. Is Richie building a submarine golf cart for this voyage as we speak? Are you looking for a millionaire sponsor to fund this trip? You do realize after this is conquered this is the final frontier right? I mean what else could top it?

I think we should be waiting on the beach with walkie talkies, as the support team. Waiting with some nice cold drinks and snacks. Not for them, for us. We can call them if we see any snoopy cast members, and give them the code word, 'tippy toe' or 'whippoorwill' (reference to 'Seinfeld' and 'The Andy Griffith Show').

TDC I was just told the only way I can go if Rudy drives

Let's see if if have this right.

Rudy, the dog, will drive us to Discovery Island?

Sounds like a great plan to me!

What could possibly go wrong?

TCD

TDC I was just told the only way I can go if Rudy drives

I had a feeling Rudy was going to play a part in this. I have a 2 person kayak I'm willing to loan to the cause. It's blue and white. Should I get the Realtree camo paint ordered?

Funny you should mention Discovery Island. I am willing to bet that similar conditions exist out there. I have been mulling over some ideas on how to get out there. I think that I will need an accomplice. Let me know when you will be at the Fort next, and we can team up on this one. TCD

Your good TCD but Discovery Island would be tough challenge. I have rented a pontoon a couple of times and tried to just get close to the docks to get a peak of the interior of the island from the boat only to have one of those Boston Whalers zoom over to me and chase me off. If you could pull off a photo story it would prove you worthy of a job at 60 minutes or maybe a starring role in a James Bond movie. DS and I would team up with you. You can put on a black wetsuit and we will go out in two boats. One boat would go distract the CM by entering the "Sammy Zone" while you got close to the island and slipped in for a quick swim to shore. I can hear the Mission Impossible theme playing as I type. :idea:

I have such fond memories of River Country first water park my kids went to, the first water slides were in the Kiddie cover, they were great slides. It was so convenient to just go to the water park from our camp site, we all loved the main pool, as it was very deep, people could dive in, and the water was always nice and cold which was welcome on hot summer days. I never understood why they did not keep the pool open for FW.

Love the pics! You definately deserve the super sleuth award!

The Discovery Island venture woudl be super tough, so many boats and ferries passing all the time. Seems like something that would have to be done under the cover of darkness, but with all the snakes and gators around it would be pretty risky. Good luck :)

Also the original entrance and the two large buildings on the left are now part of Mickey's Backyard BBQ. You can see the "rocks" while you are waiting to visit characters at the BBQ.

I think it is so odd how Disney just abandoned River Country.

Anyway, I found an interesting digital recreation of the park on you tube if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1WLZ2cKcw

just skip the first 30 seconds or so...

I was watching some old You Tube videos of RC, and I saw this logo at the end of one of them. I don't recall seeing this before. Anyone else recognize it??

RClogo-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!