River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discovery Island.

Ontheisland.jpg

Hmmm. TCD, maybe you could go into Discovery Island by air. One of those parasailing trips gone bad, or something like that. I look forward to those pictures and have faith that I'll someday be seeing them.

Hmmm. TCD, maybe you could go into Discovery Island by air. One of those parasailing trips gone bad, or something like that. I look forward to those pictures and have faith that I'll someday be seeing them.

All this talk of Discovery Island piqued my curiousity and I did a google search. Here is some interesting history including some very recent plans to develop DI. TCD got the plans to the new pool. Maybe he can scout up the plans referred to on this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Island_(Florida)

Here is the part that I love...
"From the early 1900s, it was known as Raz Island, named after the family that lived there. In the late 1930s, it was purchased for $800 by a man named Delmar "Radio Nick" Nicholson, who renamed the island "Idle Bay Isle" for 20 years with his wife and pet crane. It was later purchased, renamed “Riles Island,” and used as a hunting retreat long before being bought by Disney (under a fake name, of course), in 1965."

Awesome post!!! Thanks so much for sharing a part of Disney history with us. I regret having not bugged my folks enough to take us to River Country when it was still open. This is the next best thing.

Those are some amazing photo's! Wish I could have visited before it shut down.

I would also LOVE to see some current photo's of Discovery Island.

Excellent set of very interesting images.

Is this thread linked on another board or something? I swear 24 hours ago there were about 3,000 views. It's now up over 40,000 and climbing fast. Seems odd for our little camping board. :confused3 Unless the Feds are onto this little excursion you guys took and are doing surveillance. We better all scatter and change our usernames. From now on I'll go by DaveFromTN...that'll throw 'em off the trail!

Not sure how I missed this thread. Great job TCD.

Greetings, all. I see that some of you are wondering why your number of views just skyrocketed. This photo set was featured today on the blog boingboing. That's how I found you, and what cool stuff this is!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Although, frankly I'm surprised Disney hasn't already turned that area into more hotels or condos.

Greetings, all. I see that some of you are wondering why your number of views just skyrocketed. This photo set was featured today on the blog boingboing. That's how I found you, and what cool stuff this is!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Although, frankly I'm surprised Disney hasn't already turned that area into more hotels or condos.
Thanks for clearing that up Orchdirector1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!