Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with Pat when I ordered my cake 3 weeks ago. She took down exactly what I wanted and still the cake filling was incorrect. I wanted vanilla buttercream filling and instead my dry stale cake had chocolate mousse. And I don't believe that they made my DD's cake fresh that day, there is no way it was. The texture alone was indicative of it being old and stale. I just think that whoever is running the show with these cake orders over at the GF assumes that people will pay no matter what the quality is. It isn't too much to ask for a decent tasting cake for $100. I'm sorry, I'm not directing this towards you. It's just irritating that I had to pay so much for an awful tasting cake. Of course there have been lots of people who've ordered cakes and been very pleased. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

No problem, I'm not taking this personally. I'm just as curious to see how my $83.00 Nemo cake will look and taste on Nov 11 as anyone else with their own. I will be totally disappointed if it's a disaster. I really will try to meet Pat in person to see what is going on. (Not that it will change anything). When I talked to her she sounded concerned that the right cake for the money would be received. She was very friendly and not drifty or confused at all.
But I totally agree, I'm paying alot of money for a cake. I can go to my local Safeway or Costco pay alot less money and know exactly what I am getting. The same should be said for WDW. Pat seems to be aware there is a big problem but from my point of view whatever the problem is just fix it. It's alot of money for these things. I remain hopeful that all will fine.
I'll certainly let you guys know with pics etc when I return. I admit to not traveling with a laptop so no same day reports.:)
Liz

She did say that the cakes are made fresh daily (that doesn't match the reports), but she never came out and said that the cake would be good. This is just a warning. I can't see why anyone on these boards would be untruthful with their reports. Why would they? There is no reason to do that. I would believe anyone that puts their reports on this thread. Why would I be told to cancel my order? Why? If I call CR, will I get this same reaction or the dry cottony cakes? Please help!!!

It seems like CR is having better luck turning out delicious cakes lately. Geez, Pat, isn't the theme of this year at Disney called 'What Will You Celebrate?' :confused3 When you spend a $100 on a cake, shouldn't it be good? It's not a Pepperidge Farm cake, right? :headache:

The problem is the way they make their cakes. Those babies are built for looks, not for taste! I'm sure IntheKnow and CakeManBri will be along shortly to scold me, but I don't care! :rolleyes2 I've seen how high-volume bakeries do things, and they do make cakes in advance, raise and lower the cake's temperature (a-chooofreezeoooooo) to help with the decorating process, and generally pay a lot more attention to decoration than to taste.

It's not just the Grand Floridian Bakery - people have reported getting dry, cardboard-tasting cakes from other resort bakeries. After following this for years and trying four or five different Disney cakes, I have concluded that I will have to decide between getting an amazing-looking but blah-tasting Disney cake or a more humble but delicious one from somewhere else. Heck, I've had frozen Pepperidge Farm cakes that are more moist and tender than the Disney cakes I've tried! :rotfl:

Frankly, I think Pat was just being honest when she didn't assure Canyon girl that her cake would be good - there's no way she can promise that. :sad2:

lurkyloo said it exactly right. Seems like Disney is making their cakes for looks only....not spending enought attention to taste. I've decided against ordering a cake for our trip in December, but if i had and it did not taste good, you can be sure i wouldn't have paid for it! I'll send my steak back if it's not cooked right, and i'll send my cake back if it isn't cooked right.

If Disney can not get the cake baking process down correctly, they should stop selling them. :confused3 If you can't do it right, and don't want to fix it.....then don't do it.

I spoke to Pat earlier tonight regarding the cake I want to order. She did keep trying to talk me out of the bigger cake I am wanting and kept trying to get me to get two smaller cakes. The one thing I did notice from the conversation with her is that she did seem to be a little disorganized. She kept asking me to hang on while she looked for this or that. She started quoting me prices for cakes that had nothing to do with what I was requesting. After 20+ minutes the call ended with her telling me she would have to get back with me after she talked to a baker to give me a price. She couldn't give me a price for a basic round 2 tiered cake (10" and 6"). I emailed her pics of what I wanted along with description.

I can pass along the prices for the cakes she gave me that I didn't need:

1 tier Mad Hatter: $150
2 tier Mad Hatter: $450
3 tier Mad Hatter: $960

6" with Buttercream frosting: $51
6" with fondant: $66
10" with fondant: starts at $90 and goes up

The problem is the way they make their cakes. Those babies are built for looks, not for taste! I'm sure IntheKnow and CakeManBri will be along shortly to scold me, but I don't care! :rolleyes2 I've seen how high-volume bakeries do things, and they do make cakes in advance, raise and lower the cake's temperature (a-chooofreezeoooooo) to help with the decorating process, and generally pay a lot more attention to decoration than to taste.

It's not just the Grand Floridian Bakery - people have reported getting dry, cardboard-tasting cakes from other resort bakeries. After following this for years and trying four or five different Disney cakes, I have concluded that I will have to decide between getting an amazing-looking but blah-tasting Disney cake or a more humble but delicious one from somewhere else. Heck, I've had frozen Pepperidge Farm cakes that are more moist and tender than the Disney cakes I've tried! :rotfl:

Frankly, I think Pat was just being honest when she didn't assure Canyon girl that her cake would be good - there's no way she can promise that. :sad2:

I think you're right. I guess I ended up with the great looking, ill-tasting cake! :laughing: Why can't I have both? :confused3 Oh well, I certainly won't be ordering another cake from Disney, that's for sure. And I agree, Pepperidge Farms cakes taste WAY better than the GF cake we had Sunday night. :sad2:

lurkyloo said it exactly right. Seems like Disney is making their cakes for looks only....not spending enought attention to taste. I've decided against ordering a cake for our trip in December, but if i had and it did not taste good, you can be sure i wouldn't have paid for it! I'll send my steak back if it's not cooked right, and i'll send my cake back if it isn't cooked right.

If Disney can not get the cake baking process down correctly, they should stop selling them. :confused3 If you can't do it right, and don't want to fix it.....then don't do it.

No kidding. How hard is it to bake a cake? Seriously, picture cottony cardboard with bland cocoa powder and that is how it tasted. Yuck.

I spoke to Pat earlier tonight regarding the cake I want to order. She did keep trying to talk me out of the bigger cake I am wanting and kept trying to get me to get two smaller cakes. The one thing I did notice from the conversation with her is that she did seem to be a little disorganized. She kept asking me to hang on while she looked for this or that. She started quoting me prices for cakes that had nothing to do with what I was requesting. After 20+ minutes the call ended with her telling me she would have to get back with me after she talked to a baker to give me a price. She couldn't give me a price for a basic round 2 tiered cake (10" and 6"). I emailed her pics of what I wanted along with description.

I can pass along the prices for the cakes she gave me that I didn't need:

1 tier Mad Hatter: $150
2 tier Mad Hatter: $450
3 tier Mad Hatter: $960

6" with Buttercream frosting: $51
6" with fondant: $66
10" with fondant: starts at $90 and goes up

I got the impression too that Pat didn't quite know what she was doing when I called. She was very friendly but I had to firmly tell her what I wanted. I asked for a white chocolate tinker bell statue cake topper. She said it would cost $30. Fine. Then I said I wanted her painted life-like with colors and said it would cost me an extra $106! I'm not kidding. Oh well, lesson learned. No more cake ordering for me from Disney.

does anyone know if they will do smaller cakes? for say, 2 people? My sister and I are going for her birthday, and she's always wanted a cake with an alice in wonderland theme. Maybe something the size the the mini wedding cake?

this is a random question and a bit on the stupid side but I just have to settle this. I ordered a 6 inch cake for January. Is that 6 inches is that 6 across or around?

I think you're right. I guess I ended up with the great looking, ill-tasting cake! :laughing: Why can't I have both? :confused3 Oh well, I certainly won't be ordering another cake from Disney, that's for sure. And I agree, Pepperidge Farms cakes taste WAY better than the GF cake we had Sunday night. :sad2:

No kidding. How hard is it to bake a cake? Seriously, picture cottony cardboard with bland cocoa powder and that is how it tasted. Yuck.

I got the impression too that Pat didn't quite know what she was doing when I called. She was very friendly but I had to firmly tell her what I wanted. I asked for a white chocolate tinker bell statue cake topper. She said it would cost $30. Fine. Then I said I wanted her painted life-like with colors and said it would cost me an extra $106! I'm not kidding. Oh well, lesson learned. No more cake ordering for me from Disney.

Ok I could not take it anymore when I spoke with PAt about my cake had an uneasy feeling about what I would get she was never clear on telling me what my cake would be even with photos sent. Asked for change to the top two weeks ago and sent picture of another Disney cake. She kept insisiting could not be done till I actually sent part of this thread showing the pictures again and where it was made (AKL) . Kept insiting it was going to be double what was posted as the price.She said she would get back to me with a price on the changes and that was two week ago. So I have canceled with the GF. Money is too tight to take a chance I might be one of the lucky ones and get what I ordered that looks and tastes good.

Agreed. I'd tell them I wasn't paying for it. I have a cake order in for this coming Sunday:cool1:. I'm sure it'll be very pretty, like I asked, but not so sure it'll be a good cake. That said, however, our 25th anniversary cake at Yachtsman was DELICIOUS! Flavorful, moist and really really good.

ry%3D400

This cake was a 10 inch cake, the one I'm ordering for Sunday will be a 6 inch (there's only going to be 5 of us). And I'm having it delivered to our room at AKV, and made by the chef there, so we'll see. I'm not getting in a twist over it, I'm sure chances are that it'll be just what I hope for, and if not, I'll deal with it if and when it happens!!:rotfl::rotfl:

This is just my opinion, but I think this cake thing is getting out of hand. We ordered a cake in Sept for our Anniversary. It was very pretty, but we did not eat but a couple of pieces. I won't do it again. It was from GF bakery. I think people are getting carried away with I HAVE TO HAVE A CAKE, and gift baskets and tours and Christmas parties, in order to have a great Disney trip experience. I know I did. On my next trip that I plan, I am going to just go with the flo, make only a couple of ADR's, enjoy the sites and things that are around me, and not worry about the extras. If I want a cake, I will go to MK bakery and get a cupcake. I will buy a bottle of wine from one of the countries and use paper cups to drink it out of. I am sure it will taste the same. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I can have just as much fun at Disney staying off site or at a value and eating counter service most of the time. We spent a lot on extras on our last trip, and I must admit that it did not make the trip any more special, it just cost a lot more.

This is just my opinion, but I think this cake thing is getting out of hand. We ordered a cake in Sept for our Anniversary. It was very pretty, but we did not eat but a couple of pieces. I won't do it again. It was from GF bakery. I think people are getting carried away with I HAVE TO HAVE A CAKE, and gift baskets and tours and Christmas parties, in order to have a great Disney trip experience. I know I did. On my next trip that I plan, I am going to just go with the flo, make only a couple of ADR's, enjoy the sites and things that are around me, and not worry about the extras. If I want a cake, I will go to MK bakery and get a cupcake. I will buy a bottle of wine from one of the countries and use paper cups to drink it out of. I am sure it will taste the same. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I can have just as much fun at Disney staying off site or at a value and eating counter service most of the time. We spent a lot on extras on our last trip, and I must admit that it did not make the trip any more special, it just cost a lot more.

You are right, a cake or a basket or a fancy dinner don't make the trip a great trip, but it's a heck of a lot of fun to do! :goodvibes I go for the cake, the ADR's....counter service JMHO, I can get here in McDonald's or Wendy's or BK, etc.. When I'm away, I want the spa treatment, the sit down awesome steak dinner (don't eat red meat unless I'm on a vacation), the cake for my family or guests, etc. And why not try out a ticketed event, like MVMCP? For me, for us, absolutely! There's no place else on earth I'll get to experience this. For me, and JMHO, it would be like going to Rome and looking at the outside of the Sistine Chapel, without ever going inside. What's the point?:confused3

This is just my opinion....

this is a random question and a bit on the stupid side but I just have to settle this. I ordered a 6 inch cake for January. Is that 6 inches is that 6 across or around?

If you ordered a 6 inch cake it will be a 6 inch diameter cake.:cake:

Agreed. I'd tell them I wasn't paying for it. I have a cake order in for this coming Sunday:cool1:. I'm sure it'll be very pretty, like I asked, but not so sure it'll be a good cake. That said, however, our 25th anniversary cake at Yachtsman was DELICIOUS! Flavorful, moist and really really good.

This cake was a 10 inch cake, the one I'm ordering for Sunday will be a 6 inch (there's only going to be 5 of us). And I'm having it delivered to our room at AKV, and made by the chef there, so we'll see. I'm not getting in a twist over it, I'm sure chances are that it'll be just what I hope for, and if not, I'll deal with it if and when it happens!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Please post pictures of your cake and tell us how it was when you get back. I ordered one from AKV for early December and hope that it not only looks great but tastes great. Honestly, the taste is more important but I also hope that it looks a little better than what I can get at my local grocery store (but I will admit that our local Publix does an awesome job!!!).

I hate seeing so many people having so many issues with ordering their cakes, not getting what they ordered and then having it taste bad too. :sad2: When I ordered my FIL a cake from WCC a few years ago it wasn't decorated like I had hoped but it tasted amazing and we all ate on it all week. I had told them that my ILs were staying at FWC and very into camping and that I'd like the cake to be decorated with that in mind. We got the flavors I ordered and some really pretty flowers on top. While it wasn't "camping themed" it still looked beautiful and, like I said, it was delish! Maybe WDW needs to either stop doing custom cakes competely or make the price so high (did I just really say that?!?!?) that the number of custom cakes drop drastically so that they can get back to making great looking tasty cakes.

You are right, a cake or a basket or a fancy dinner don't make the trip a great trip, but it's a heck of a lot of fun to do! :goodvibes I go for the cake, the ADR's....counter service JMHO, I can get here in McDonald's or Wendy's or BK, etc.. When I'm away, I want the spa treatment, the sit down awesome steak dinner (don't eat red meat unless I'm on a vacation), the cake for my family or guests, etc. And why not try out a ticketed event, like MVMCP? For me, for us, absolutely! There's no place else on earth I'll get to experience this. For me, and JMHO, it would be like going to Rome and looking at the outside of the Sistine Chapel, without ever going inside. What's the point?:confused3

This is just my opinion....
I have done all the above at Disney, and they were all great. But I am just saying people seem to be getting the idea, if I don't get all the extras, my trip won't be as special or magical. I agree, when I am on vacation, I want to pamper myself. I order the 10 dollar frozen drinks, and buy that shirt that is way over priced, but I am on vacation, and that is what I worked all year for, so I could have a few extras. I am just saying you can have just as much fun without them.
On Pat saying to cancel the cake. I think she was just being honest. That was her way of saying, it won't be worth it, without her coming right out and saying that some of the cakes are not worth the money. I was going to order a birthday cake for my grandsons a couple of years ago at chef mickey's and when I called the gal on the phone said if it was her, she would not do it. They will get a cupcake and there are so many desserts to choose from, it would be a waste. I took her advice and was very glad I did. They enjoyed the cupcake, but did not eat it, so a cake would of really been a waste.

The problem is the way they make their cakes. Those babies are built for looks, not for taste! I'm sure IntheKnow and CakeManBri will be along shortly to scold me, but I don't care!
:laughing:

I don't think this is ALL of the bakeries. I was concerned, I admit it, but our cake was not only beautiful but AMAZING in taste (and I've had some cake in my day). And believe me, I had it in the back of my mind that people had received poor tasting cakes but I was pleased and amazed with our cake.

(cakemanbri made it BTW!)

WDW2009826a.jpg

WDW2009881a.jpg

Oh and just so you don't think I'm just not a picky person...the cake was wonderful, but I didn't care for the food at Chef Mickey's and the service was SLOW SLOW SLOW. It took forever to bring it out (even though I knew it was back there and ready b/c they told us it looked great) and 30 minutes to find a box for this cake. :sad2:

I ordered a cake to be delivered to our room at the CR on October 25th.

I ordered a 10 inch white cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream icing (no fondant) with a white chocolate monorail on top for decoration. It was delivered to the room. The base price was $45 for the cake & $40 for the monorail - with the $3 delivery charge and the 18% auto gratuity the total for the cake came to $109 (charged to the room).
The cake was moist and delicious (not quite as good as mine but as a former baker, few are ;)). The decoration was well done and certainly lived up to my expectations.

We had bell services store the cake for us in the fridge overnight after we had cut into it since it would not fit in our fridge. We had asked the concierge if there was anywhere to store it and they suggested this since Bell Services has a large fridge (where they store groceries, etc to be delivered to the rooms).

MostlyWDWOct09165.jpg

MostlyWDWOct09170.jpg

MostlyWDWOct09169.jpg

MostlyWDWOct09168.jpg

MostlyWDWOct09167.jpg

MostlyWDWOct09166.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the cake after it was cut. It was multiple layers of white cake and dark chocolate mousse (the mouse was a darker colour than the buttercream icing).

No cakes made at Disney? No custard, strawberries, whipped cream, or anything that needs refrigeration? Only designs a marzipan overlay?

My spouse called the cake line to see about getting a cake for my 40th birthday dinner at CRT. She was told "we no longer make cakes," (she understood this to mean Disney no longer makes cakes, but that wasn't exactly what was said) and that they could order cakes but they couldn't do any of the things above because they were made off site and shipped on a non-refrigerated truck, and the decoration options were marzipan overlay or confetti or a mickey head cake.

Then I came back to this thread and saw a lovely custom-decorated cake photographed two weeks ago. Is this a new policy? Should she try to call back and talk to someone else? Is this a CRT thing?

Help! Life is really hectic right now and hassling with Disney about my birthday cake is so not worth it, but I don't want to give up completely without at least double-checking. I'm feeling a little disappointed about my big day, too.

Are there any offsite bakeries that would deliver to our hotel?

Thanks in advance,

Cate

No cakes made at Disney? No custard, strawberries, whipped cream, or anything that needs refrigeration? Only designs a marzipan overlay?

My spouse called the cake line to see about getting a cake for my 40th birthday dinner at CRT. She was told "we no longer make cakes," (she understood this to mean Disney no longer makes cakes, but that wasn't exactly what was said) and that they could order cakes but they couldn't do any of the things above because they were made off site and shipped on a non-refrigerated truck, and the decoration options were marzipan overlay or confetti or a mickey head cake.

Then I came back to this thread and saw a lovely custom-decorated cake photographed two weeks ago. Is this a new policy? Should she try to call back and talk to someone else? Is this a CRT thing?

Help! Life is really hectic right now and hassling with Disney about my birthday cake is so not worth it, but I don't want to give up completely without at least double-checking. I'm feeling a little disappointed about my big day, too.

Are there any offsite bakeries that would deliver to our hotel?

Thanks in advance,

Cate
The resorts with bakeries will do custom cakes, but it think it is hit or miss in the theme parks.
There have been reports on this thread of custom cakes delivered to MK from the resorts, but I have been told "no" on this over and over by lots of different CM's. I have yet to find one who will tell me it is possible, so we are getting a cake at Chef Mickey made by the bakery at CR. Have you talked to your resort about getting one there, or do you have a meal scheduled at a resort where you can do it? It might be easier to get what you want that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter