Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I'd really love a cake this trip and I'd like to get it on one of our first nights. I'm thinking of eating at Garden Grove to see Rafiki on Monday and wondered if anyone else has had a cake done there?

I would think that you'd have to call the Swan directly since they aren't technically a WDW resort.

I am hoping that the birthday cake that I ordered from AKL will be worth the $80 that they just told me it would be. This is more than the Jack Skellington cake and I'm pretty sure that my cake won't have two tiers, so it better be pretty tasty while looking pretty good. :) Considering that the decorations are costing more than the cake I hope it looks amazing, lol. Don't think I'll mention to DH how much it is... I'll just hand him my Birthday gift card and let him shop for himself.

You guys are never going to believe this. Pat from the GF just called me to ask how we liked our cake from Sunday night. I told her that while it looked beautiful, the taste was terrible. She was stunned. I said the cake was dry, crumbly and almost tasteless (it was supposed to be chocolate). Then she told me that she never hears complaints like this from customers, maybe only 1 complaint in like 2 months! I laughed to myself because I know people here have been unhappy with some of the cakes there. Anyhoo, she says they make their cakes fresh everyday so there's no way mine was stale. Then minutes later she said that well, we make do make the cakes 2 or so days ahead of time and then put them in the cooler. It was such a bizarre phone conversation. She tried to tell me that maybe I'm just not familiar with how a custom cake looks and tastes. :laughing: To which I replied that I know what cake should taste like. :laughing:

You guys are never going to believe this. Pat from the GF just called me to ask how we liked our cake from Sunday night. I told her that while it looked beautiful, the taste was terrible. She was stunned. I said the cake was dry, crumbly and almost tasteless (it was supposed to be chocolate). Then she told me that she never hears complaints like this from customers, maybe only 1 complaint in like 2 months! I laughed to myself because I know people here have been unhappy with some of the cakes there. Anyhoo, she says they make their cakes fresh everyday so there's no way mine was stale. Then minutes later she said that well, we make do make the cakes 2 or so days ahead of time and then put them in the cooler. It was such a bizarre phone conversation. She tried to tell me that maybe I'm just not familiar with how a custom cake looks and tastes. :laughing: To which I replied that I know what cake should taste like. :laughing:

Wow, that's really interesting. I'm glad you were able to voice your disappointment. I'm surprised that she was surprised that you thought it wasn't a good tasting cake. I guess more people need to take the time to complain. Thanks for sharing.

Wow... that is not like "Disney" at all, telling you were wrong. I actually just talked to her because I was asking her about why my cake was going to cost $85. She said it would be $80. Here is the breakdown:

8" Cake - $32.00
Decorations - $30.00
Gold foiling on side - $15.00
Fondant - $15.00
Glitter/sparkles - $5.00

She said she cut the price alot since I am a repeat customer. So she was telling me my cake shouldve been $98.00? Not sure whether to be excited that I am saving $18.00 or still worried that an 8" cake is costing me $80.00?

Ok I talked to Carolyn(sp??) at the Contemporary about a cake for 11/29. I'm not really sure I gave her enough info to be honest. The only cake flavor options I was given was chocolate or vanilla, no filling options and I was told it was be somewhere around $65 or so for an 8 inch with decoration. I told her that I would like a winter or Christmas theme and she said that was no problem and that if Brian had any questions he would call. I'm kind of hoping he calls!

Shannon

She said she cut the price alot since I am a repeat customer. So she was telling me my cake shouldve been $98.00? Not sure whether to be excited that I am saving $18.00 or still worried that an 8" cake is costing me $80.00?
She considers an $18 discount alot? Kinda funny. I'm also getting a $80 8" cake (from AKV) and if it isn't tasty someone will be thrown into the savannah!

Ok I talked to Carolyn(sp??) at the Contemporary about a cake for 11/29. I'm not really sure I gave her enough info to be honest. The only cake flavor options I was given was chocolate or vanilla, no filling options and I was told it was be somewhere around $65 or so for an 8 inch with decoration. I told her that I would like a winter or Christmas theme and she said that was no problem and that if Brian had any questions he would call. I'm kind of hoping he calls!

Shannon
I don't think you have to worry. Lately the most amazing looking cakes have come out of CR and I can't recall reading any bad reviews on the taste so the team over there seems to be doing it right.

I wish their pricing was more standard. Some people are getting awesome cakes (with great looking decorations) for $60, some for $100 and then there are some that are getting badly decorated cakes for those prices. Just seems like the pricing, options and results are all over the place. I wish I wanted to eat at CR just so that cake team could do a cake for me.

Has anyone ever ordered a "Disney" cake from Goodings to be delivered to their room? If so, are there any pics?

Staying in a mod, and trying to see whether it's worthwhile to do a pick-up at the Boardwalk.

:worship: Wow finally just read all the pages on this thread. Took a few weeks though!!!:surfweb: Cake has become my new obsession!

It's funny how at the beginning everyone was raving about GF's cakes and CakemanBri kept telling everyone that the CR can do better. I guess he is right:rotfl:

I really want to order a cake for DH's 40th bday when we go in April. I just have to decide if I want one at CM, dinner at Ohana's with friends, or suprise hubby in our room at AKL. Too many choices but I still have plenty of time to decide.

I don't think you have to worry. Lately the most amazing looking cakes have come out of CR and I can't recall reading any bad reviews on the taste so the team over there seems to be doing it right.

I wish their pricing was more standard. Some people are getting awesome cakes (with great looking decorations) for $60, some for $100 and then there are some that are getting badly decorated cakes for those prices. Just seems like the pricing, options and results are all over the place. I wish I wanted to eat at CR just so that cake team could do a cake for me.

I agree and while I really wanted to have it at the GF for our dinner that night, things just sound not good over there right now :laughing: It was literally a 5 minute phone call and I'm just worried that was enough time to get a feeling of what I wanted. It obviously wasn't enough time to get a filling request because I wasn't even asked that :confused3 I don't want to be a PITA and call back but I think I might wait a few days and see if Brian gives me a call or not. As far as the price goes, I was ready to give her a $100 budget but she never asked that at all just gave the $60-ish price. Again :confused3 :rotfl2:

Shannon

Ordered a cake directly from "the bakery at Hollywood Studios" and it will be served after dinner at Mama Melrose.
Requested a 2 tier Mad Hatter Cake in primary colors.
--- “I just spoke with one of the Bakery Chefs. They can use an 8 inch van. and a 10 inch van. cake to make a Mad Hatter cake. They would use fondant frosting for this cake. The price is $75.00 plus tax. Will be a fresh made cake. Requested Primary Colors."

Here's hoping it tastes fabulous- and I won't have any problem disputing the price if it tastes stale.;)

WOW!! $75 for a 2 tier MH cake!! Pat at the GF quoted me $150 for a 1 tier MH and $450 for a 2 tier MH cake. Disney really should start getting their cake prices coordinated from bakery to bakery, especially if it's the same cake.

well I once again need help , I did call the cake hotline and was told that no custom cakes at SSR . Yet when I called into our DVC number to do some dinning stuff I asked the very nice lady there and she said " Oh yes they can do you a cake and have it brought to your room "

So I know people here have asked about having a cake done there but has anyone ever gotten one ?

Ordered a cake directly from "the bakery at Hollywood Studios" and it will be served after dinner at Mama Melrose.
--- “I just spoke with one of the Bakery Chefs. They can use an 8 inch van. and a 10 inch van. cake to make a Mad Hatter cake. They would use fondant frosting for this cake. The price is $75.00 plus tax. Will be a fresh made cake. Requested Primary Colors."

Here's hoping it tastes fabulous- and I won't have any problem disputing the price if it tastes stale.;)

When are you getting this? I'd love to see pictures of it and read a review of it once you get back. This could sway my cake decision if it is prior to my trip.

Oh boy!! We have an early dinner ADR at MM our first night and I think I'd rather have Mad Hatter cake for $75 than a Lion King-y 8" cake for $80+ at AKV. Soooo torn! While I'd love to see what the AKL team can come up with I'm hesitant to go that route with the decorations costing almost twice what the cake is costing. At least with a Mad Hatter you know what you are getting for $75.

When are you getting this? I'd love to see pictures of it and read a review of it once you get back. This could sway my cake decision if it is prior to my trip.

Oh boy!! We have an early dinner ADR at MM our first night and I think I'd rather have Mad Hatter cake for $75 than a Lion King-y 8" cake for $80+ at AKV. Soooo torn! While I'd love to see what the AKL team can come up with I'm hesitant to go that route with the decorations costing almost twice what the cake is costing. At least with a Mad Hatter you know what you are getting for $75.

I would be very suspicious of this. It sounds way too good to be true. I'd be very worried that for $75 I end up with a) two regular cakes stacked on-top of each other with a screened image of the mad hatter on it or b) You do get the the beautiful two tiered mad hatter we are thinking of, but are held responsible for the more realistic cost of $450. I hope it all works out.

b) You do get the the beautiful two tiered mad hatter we are thinking of, but are held responsible for the more realistic cost of $450.

:scared1: I would hope Disney wouldn't do that after quoting $75. I thought there was a Mad Hatter-style cake posted a while back that was made by AKL and was in the $75 range. I too don't get the price disparity between this and GF's pricing :confused3.

Hi from PA, our trip is Dec 12-21 HS dinner at Brown Derby on Dec 15th ,

My DS 12th birhday we have only ,4 in party with a two year old ,but love to order a cake for my son , is your trip before Dec 12th?
Would love to see your cake!:goodvibes "Mary"

Didn't even know about this thread when I called- we needed to speak directly to the Mama Melrose to book (large party) and the lady suggested talking to the bakery coordinator about a cake.
I only requested a 1 tier cake in the mad hatter style and at the time I thought $75 was pricey for an 8th birthday cake:confused:, but went ahead anyway. I wrote down everything she told me, hence the quotation marks, and even have her name and title....(but I don't want to get her in trouble if she low-balled my price);)

It BETTER be the Mad Hatter cake and not some horrific monstrosity like I've seen here for other guests.:headache: And I will not roll over and play nice if it's not the cake I ordered. I was very specific.:mad::mad::mad:

We are eating at Mama Melrose on December 14th...and I will post pics as soon as possible.:thumbsup2

For any Disers who will be at Disney- maybe we'll see ya!:goodvibes
We'll be the rather large group from the Philly area that will not tolerate any shenanigans from the SA tour groups. ;)(Who I've heard may be in town that week.)

MVMCP on the 13th
Hollywood Studios, Fantasmic and Osborne Lights on the 14th
My sisters wedding at the GF Wedding Pavillion on the 15th
Off to Universal from Wed the 16th until Sunday the 20th:banana::banana:

Didn't even know about this thread when I called- we needed to speak directly to the Mama Melrose to book (large party) and the lady suggested talking to the bakery coordinator about a cake.
I only requested a 1 tier cake in the mad hatter style and at the time I thought $75 was pricey for an 8th birthday cake:confused:, but went ahead anyway. I wrote down everything she told me, hence the quotation marks, and even have her name and title....(but I don't want to get her in trouble if she low-balled my price);)

It BETTER be the Mad Hatter cake and not some horrific monstrosity like I've seen here for other guests.:headache: And I will not roll over and play nice if it's not the cake I ordered. I was very specific.:mad::mad::mad:

We are eating at Mama Melrose on December 14th...and I will post pics as soon as possible.:thumbsup2

For any Disers who will be at Disney- maybe we'll see ya!:goodvibes
We'll be the rather large group from the Philly area that will not tolerate any shenanigans from the SA tour groups. ;)(Who I've heard may be in town that week.)

MVMCP on the 13th
Hollywood Studios, Fantasmic and Osborne Lights on the 14th
My sisters wedding at the GF Wedding Pavillion on the 15th
Off to Universal from Wed the 16th until Sunday the 20th:banana::banana:

Oh ok. Your original post said that you were getting a two tiered Mad Hatter for $75. One tier at that price sounds more reasonable. It's still a good deal compared to the GF prices. I hope you have a wonderful celebration. Please post pictures and let us know how it goes.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

How do I get this cake:

cake3.jpg

at California Grill? THANK YOU! :thumbsup2

Alright can anyone help me out?

I want to get a cake for my Dad for next month. I can't get it in MK because he'll be there when we are getting it and setting some other stuff up. Where should I get it from. I think I want an 8 inch (there will be 8 of us and we really don't need any extra) and I am aware those aren't able to be customized (I'm fine with bringing my own decorations as I decorate cakes quite often).

Should I get one from the Boardwalk Bakery? I need it to be made with a sugar substitute (which I know they can do) ALSO What about those Mickey Heads? How big are they? Can it be made with a sugar substitute? Can they have writing on them? We're thinking about heading to Epcot for the evening, should we get one there?

Also why does it say an 8 inch here is $25 and other places it says $32? Would 6 inches be enough for 8 people who really don't need a lot of cake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter