Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just had my DD's b-day cake at 1900 Park Fare Sunday night. It was tinker bell themed and gorgeous with pink fondant. However, it tasted awful. I was so very disappointed. The cake was very dry and tasteless with the incorrect filling inside too. What annoys me the most, I paid $100 for it. My DD thought it was beautiful but even she said it tasted blah. It was obvious that our cake had been made days before and frozen since it had so much condensation on the fondant. I hate to be a party pooper but for us, I wouldn't go through the trouble of ordering a cake from Disney again, it was so dry and crumbly. I expected way better taste and flavor from the GF. Seriously, it tasted like stale chocolate cotton.

oh that is awful that your cake tasted so bad I would call the GF and let them know. Glad your daughter thought it was pretty.

I know i asked this before but no one responded. :confused3 How is the red velvet cake at the GF? I currently have a cake ordered that is white with chocolate buttercream frosting but was thinking of switching to red velvet with white chocolate mousse. Anyone?

Just curious - I only made it up to page 25 so far...

If we have a cake at a park, can we send the remaining cake back to our room, or do we have to take it ourselves? Most of our dinners are in parks with the exception of Kona, and I want the dessert there.

Thanks!

Just curious - I only made it up to page 25 so far...

If we have a cake at a park, can we send the remaining cake back to our room, or do we have to take it ourselves? Most of our dinners are in parks with the exception of Kona, and I want the dessert there.

Thanks!

No, they will not send cake back to your room.

oh that is awful that your cake tasted so bad I would call the GF and let them know. Glad your daughter thought it was pretty.

It was awful which was such a shame since it looked so beautiful. I'll post pictures of it once I get them loaded. I could tell as soon as I cut into it that it was dry because it literally crumbled while I cut. The taste was like a bland chocolate and extremely dry. After reading all the rave reviews here on the thread about the GF bakery, I thought it would at least taste good. My DH said at least it looks gorgeous. Well, not for a $100 bucks! For that much money I want it taste good too. :headache:

Still looking to see if anyone has any info/experiences on ordering a cake for Kona.

I ordered a cake for Kona, but it was 2 years ago. I ordered through the Cake Hotline and just had the basic choices. It was vanilla with vanilla whipped cream icing. It had the round disc with Mickey on top that said "Congratulations". It was good, but nothing really special. I think it was about $30.

I know i asked this before but no one responded. :confused3 How is the red velvet cake at the GF? I currently have a cake ordered that is white with chocolate buttercream frosting but was thinking of switching to red velvet with white chocolate mousse. Anyone?

I think that LurkyLoo did respond but maybe you didn't see it. She said that one layer of her wedding cake was red velvet and it wasn't very good. If you go back a few pages you should see her response.

It was awful which was such a shame since it looked so beautiful. I'll post pictures of it once I get them loaded. I could tell as soon as I cut into it that it was dry because it literally crumbled while I cut. The taste was like a bland chocolate and extremely dry. After reading all the rave reviews here on the thread about the GF bakery, I thought it would at least taste good. My DH said at least it looks gorgeous. Well, not for a $100 bucks! For that much money I want it taste good too. :headache:
I dont blame you and I am now a little worried becuse I to have a cake ordered with a $100.00 price tag for Nov 23rd from the GF bakery. I have been back and forth about it after some of the reviews I have read. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed because at $100.00 I want it to taste and look good can not wait to see your pictures.

I dont blame you and I am now a little worried becuse I to have a cake ordered with a $100.00 price tag for Nov 23rd from the GF bakery. I have been back and forth about it after some of the reviews I have read. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed because at $100.00 I want it to taste and look good can not wait to see your pictures.

I was worried, too, because I HAD a cake ordered for DD at 1900 Park Fare for 12/3. I called Pat today and just got off the phone. I told her that I had been reading some bad reviews of the cakes at GF. I called to get some reassurance that my cake would be ok. She told me that since I had read the reviews that I should cancel my cake order. WHAT??!! I told her that I was looking for reassurance. She repeated that I should just cancel my order. Can anyone check to see if Walt is doing somersaults in his grave? What happened to customer service? I thought that Pat would say that the cakes were fresh and that my cake would be good. She did say that the cakes are made fresh daily (that doesn't match the reports), but she never came out and said that the cake would be good. This is just a warning. I can't see why anyone on these boards would be untruthful with their reports. Why would they? There is no reason to do that. I would believe anyone that puts their reports on this thread. Why would I be told to cancel my order? Why? If I call CR, will I get this same reaction or the dry cottony cakes? Please help!!!!

Naomi

I was worried, too, because I HAD a cake ordered for DD at 1900 Park Fare for 12/3. I called Pat today and just got off the phone. I told her that I had been reading some bad reviews of the cakes at GF. I called to get some reassurance that my cake would be ok. She told me that since I had read the reviews that I should cancel my cake order. WHAT??!! I told her that I was looking for reassurance. She repeated that I should just cancel my order. Can anyone check to see if Walt is doing somersaults in his grave? What happened to customer service? I thought that Pat would say that the cakes were fresh and that my cake would be good. She did say that the cakes are made fresh daily (that doesn't match the reports), but she never came out and said that the cake would be good. This is just a warning. I can't see why anyone on these boards would be untruthful with their reports. Why would they? There is no reason to do that. I would believe anyone that puts their reports on this thread. Why would I be told to cancel my order? Why? If I call CR, will I get this same reaction or the dry cottony cakes? Please help!!!!

Naomi

What?!?!:scared1: What a horrible answer to your very valid question! Shame on Pat. Too bad if she doesn't like hearing that some of the GF cakes have not been good. Ugh, what terrible customer service for her to have told you to cancel your order. BTW, there is NO way that my DD's cake was made fresh that day. It was so stale, that is the honest truth. It seems like CR is having better luck turning out delicious cakes lately. Geez, Pat, isn't the theme of this year at Disney called 'What Will You Celebrate?' :confused3 When you spend a $100 on a cake, shouldn't it be good? It's not a Pepperidge Farm cake, right? :headache:

Still looking to see if anyone has any info/experiences on ordering a cake for Kona.

We had DS's birthday there last year. The options were more limited than at GF; I was a little disappointed that they couldn't do ganache so I had to settle for buttercream. It was yummy, but really basic/plain. When I placed the order, I asked for "boyish" decorations and what I got was a completely plain cake with some Mickey sprinkles around the edges. Really it looked grocery-store-ish. The strawberries in custard filling was excellent and the cake was good but not as moist as the cake we got from the GF for my DD's birthday in 2007, but the decor was just bland.

Add me to the beautiful but not so good $100 cake! Mine was at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I got vanilla with buttercream frosting and white choc filling. Honestly...could barely taste the buttercream and white choc filling...no taste at all. Cake seemed dry, almost like old/stale. White choc mickey ontop was yummy and I'm still eating it.

On the plus side, I was not charged for my cake. The waiter came back after and said he took care of somethings for me. I noticed cake wasn't on bill. I waited for him to come back and asked him, he said happy birthday and he took care of it. I never said that I wasn't happy with the taste, I didn't want to ruin it for my hubby, he got the cake for me...of course after asking what I wanted. But honestly, I think if I had paid for it, I would have been really bummed. We took it back to the room and club level put it in their fridge for us, our fridge was too small. We didn't even have anymore of it!

Hi,
I ordered a cake from Pat at GF for next week. She stressed that she is writing up the orders and being a liaison between customers and the kitchen, cake decorators,etc, but.... she has no control over what they actually produce. She said this a couple times. I told her that some orders come out really quite badly. She said she knows but she's not the one making the cakes. She sounded quite frustrated by this lack of control. I thought it sounded like office politics etc. I know we should not have to be in the middle as we are the customers. Pat was trying by taking down detailed orders etc, so that there is no mistaking the orders. She also asked that I take a pic of my cake and drop by the GF, ask for her and tell her how it was. She'd like to make a difference.

I've seen both good and bad reviews from all the resturants and cakes. I do hope mine goes well and I have my fingers crossed. Same for all the rest on this board.
Liz

Hi,
I ordered a cake from Pat at GF for next week. She stressed that she is writing up the orders and being a liaison between customers and the kitchen, cake decorators,etc, but.... she has no control over what they actually produce. She said this a couple times. I told her that some orders come out really quite badly. She said she knows but she's not the one making the cakes. She sounded quite frustrated by this lack of control. I thought it sounded like office politics etc. I know we should not have to be in the middle as we are the customers. Pat was trying by taking down detailed orders etc, so that there is no mistaking the orders. She also asked that I take a pic of my cake and drop by the GF, ask for her and tell her how it was. She'd like to make a difference.

I've seen both good and bad reviews from all the resturants and cakes. I do hope mine goes well and I have my fingers crossed. Same for all the rest on this board.
Liz

I spoke with Pat when I ordered my cake 3 weeks ago. She took down exactly what I wanted and still the cake filling was incorrect. I wanted vanilla buttercream filling and instead my dry stale cake had chocolate mousse. And I don't believe that they made my DD's cake fresh that day, there is no way it was. The texture alone was indicative of it being old and stale. I just think that whoever is running the show with these cake orders over at the GF assumes that people will pay no matter what the quality is. It isn't too much to ask for a decent tasting cake for $100. I'm sorry, I'm not directing this towards you. It's just irritating that I had to pay so much for an awful tasting cake. Of course there have been lots of people who've ordered cakes and been very pleased. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

I think this is all very interesting about the GF bakery. I can understand that to a certain degree the actual decorations and artistic aspect of the cakes could vary and would be out of the control of the person taking the orders, but there should be no should be absolutely no uncertainty with the basics like flavor and fillings. Why would the bakery do and decide to ignore the order form and make a chocolate cake instead of a vanilla cake? That makes no sense. There is definitely some sort of disconnect between Pat and the bakery. The cake I ordered was the wrong color scheme.

I would love to have seen the actual order form that was submitted to the bakery and where the problem occurred. My conversation with Pat was so confusing. She kept saying that things were not possible, then I would move on and ask for the next thing. The next minute she would say that we were doing what she just said was impossible. My head was spinning in the end. It makes me wonder what really got written down on that order form. I confirmed it beforehand and she said everything was correct. I'll never know if everything was ordered correctly, and the bakery just didn't follow the instructions. It doesn't seem like this should be so hard. :)

As far as the taste of the cake. Mine was ok. It had definitely been frozen. It was soggy and sort of wet on a very humid night. The filling and frosting were good. My Mom said it was an "old fashioned", airy, spongy cake when I commented on how soggy it was. I'm not sure what she meant by that, or if she was just trying to be nice. I think that if you are going to order from the GF, you must assume you are going to get an ok (and perhaps a bad) cake that may or may not be beautiful. It's a risk you take. If you want a really good cake for a good price, stick with a Wegman's or a Publix cake. I think I ended up being almost happy with my cake because I didn't really care how good it tasted. I was more concerned about how it looked. I couldn't get fondant with Disney stamps and a white chocolate topper anywhere else so that got my money.

I agree that the cakes can be hit and miss, but it seems that GF is having way too many misses. I understand office politics, but this is Disney. If there is a problem with the bakery, then a manager needs to get it straightened out. With this economy, they should be making extraordinary cakes to ensure future orders. With many hurting financially, the customers who scrimped to buy a cake for their loved one, only to get something inedible, will not be repeat customers. We all know this, so why doesn't Disney. I am going to call CR tomorrow and see what I can find out. We are staying at the CR, so I can do in-room dining. It is a shame because DD LOVES Cinderella and has never met Prince Charming. I really wanted to do her celebration at 1900. I do feel sorry for Pat, but this is not the way that she should respond. If there is a problem, maybe she should be referring these calls directly to the bakery manager. Maybe that person could do something to correct the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter