No more grape pizza!

Just off the last Alaskan cruise of the summer. Same experience with the printed menu. I told our server, Hiristo, that I was looking forward to the grape pizza because of the wonderful things I heard on these boards about it. He said he would check with the chef if they could make me one, if they had the ingredients, but no promises. The chef did! I was so grateful and it was awesome!
I hope you included the comment on your comment card that you were glad you could get it. Input like that makes DCL aware when they change things what things shouldn't be changed.

But, then it would be the same as Remy, right? I like the buffet part. Also like the part where we order stuff.

By ordering, you are sort of at the mercy of "how much" the chef wants to put on your plate. Using a buffet, I can just get one slice of prosciutto, or 2 or 3 sweet rolls, or a couple of chocolate covered strawberries, my choice.

I haven't had brunch at Remy nor dinner for that matter but from reports I have read, the menu is quite different. One reason we haven't tried Remy is that I need to count carbs for a diabetic in my family. The offerings at Palo are within my comfort level for that but that is not the case with Remy. I am not a fan of buffets in general because I always worry about the hygiene habits of others who have held the serving spoons before us. I love that servers do the honors at Palo now. I understand completely what you mean about one or two strawberries, etc.. And I don't think the buffet is going anywhere at Palo brunch. Too many people love it.

My friends spoke quite a bit with their server and observed that some servers were allowing people to order off-menu for the grape & gorgonzola (which is, indeed, blue cheese) pizza and strawberry soup (the two things I always order from the menu). They may not keep a stock of the port wine reduction after dry dock, which is the thing I can see causing problems with ordering the pizza off-menu. No photo of the new menu, unfortunately, and couldn't remember most of the changes but they said there were three pizzas available; margarita, spicy sausage, and one they couldn't remember. They added a molten chocolate lava cake that could be ordered from the menu, which was apparently delicious. Probably trying to create a brunch item like the souffle at dinner. There was no indication that the buffet would be going away, just that they had decided to have printed menus instead of a display for the non-buffet items. It's probably easier for the servers.

I don't have an issue with a printed menu vs sample plates - just don't mess with the menu. And I agree if they take the chicken parmesan off there may be an uprising. Maybe not so many of us like the grape and gorgonzola pizza, but the chicken parmesan......I have a feeling there's a large following.
View attachment 190441

I'm pretty crushed by the change, tbh. About 5 months ago I decided I was no longer going to eat meat (other than fish) and I'm sad that DCL has decided to take a bunch of lovely vegetarian options off of Palo's menus since my last cruise. First the delicious gorgonzola gnocchi is removed from the dinner menu, and now my favorite pizza is removed from the brunch menu along with the awesome strawberry soup (I hope the MDRs at least still offer their version for lunch one day).

Come to think of it, didn't Palo remove the option for gorgonzola sauce on the Palo beef tenderloin too!? Does anyone think that maybe DCL is now too cheap to offer gorgonzola? That's pretty much all of the dishes with gorgonzola now removed from the menus. :mad:

I'm pretty crushed by the change, tbh. About 5 months ago I decided I was no longer going to eat meat (other than fish) and I'm sad that DCL has decided to take a bunch of lovely vegetarian options off of Palo's menus since my last cruise. First the delicious gorgonzola gnocchi is removed from the dinner menu, and now my favorite pizza is removed from the brunch menu along with the awesome strawberry soup (I hope the MDRs at least still offer their version for lunch one day).

Come to think of it, didn't Palo remove the option for gorgonzola sauce on the Palo beef tenderloin too!? Does anyone think that maybe DCL is now too cheap to offer gorgonzola? That's pretty much all of the dishes with gorgonzola now removed from the menus. :mad:
Oooooo...good point. Or maybe there was a bunch of bad gorgonzola and it's in short supply.

Oooooo...good point. Or maybe there was a bunch of bad gorgonzola and it's really expensive now.

That could be the case, but I have a feeling it all comes down to $$$... I know (high quality) gorgonzola is pretty pricey.

We were on the Magic this month, and the pizza was available, but we didn't have it.

According to our server yesterday, none of the other ships have started this....yet. She said all would be having a printed menu. Not sure if the menu will be the exact same on all ships, but I will ask later today, and post their reply when I'm in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow.....jonathan

Is the menu replacing the whole buffet options -- or is it just that they are putting into print what we normally would pick visually from examples displayed?

Just wanted to add, on the 8/8 Alaska sailing they still had the grape pizza. We had Palo Brunch on our last sea day so that would have been 8/14. We got another one to split but it was there and no mention of anything changing. We were advised of the "new" chocolate molten cake" but didn't get it as we were just stuffed with the usual buffet food however as mentioned, it appears the same that is offered in the MDR and it is heavenly and I rarely eat desserts :)

Heather

ARRGGHHH, I have to work through my lunch today and you are all killing me with the great food pics! That chicken parm looks amazing.

Went by Palo last night, to find out some more details on the new menu, but they were already closed, and no one was around. Some other new items I noticed (items we had never seen before) were strawberry waffles, Apple and cinnamon waffles, calzone, artichoke ravioli and celery soup with spicy sausage (?). That's all I can remember now. At the buffet, they also had a new item. Can't remember the name, but it was round, crispy on the outside, with saffron rice (?) on the inside. Also new cheese selection from Italy. Our server gave us the new chocolate dessert at the end (we didn't request it), but me and my wife were not fans of it. The chocolate in the middle was dark chocolate, I believe. If you are a dark chocolate fan, I'm sure you would like it. (Using Diamonds International's free wifi in Peurto Vallarta today) Man it's hot here...jonathan

We had brunch in Palo last week on the Van to San Diego repo cruise. Palo has now started a paper menu to order from rather than the counter Display. Per our server this was new and there will be continuing changes coming. Grape Pizza is gone, as is the Strawberry Soup and the Peach Almond Souffle. There may be other differences but those were the items that I bumped up against in trying to order. They have added a chocolate molten cake, that was quite good but a bit much for me to start the day on.

It seemed the printed menu was heavy on pasta/meats compared to the old display, but that might just be my perception. The old buffet is still there but there are some changes there as well. They had a new calamari seafood salad. The citrus onions had a new recipe that wasn't as good IMO.

There are arrancini on the bread table now. DH ordered the blueberry pancakes. They were very dense and served with a very small quantity of strawberry compote. Really rather dry.

That said, I felt rushed in a way I hadn't experienced in multiple previous visits. We kept getting bugged to order off the menu. Didn't feel attentive, felt pushy. That said, our server "checked" with the chef and discovered that the transition was still in progress and they had made the strawberry soup "in error" on the 1st brunch day since the change over. It was not available later, as I understand it.

Interestingly, we were offered additional reservations as we left. I got the sense they were not booked up. We looked at the dinner menu but didn't see anything we couldn't do without - particularly being aware they had changed my beloved soup.

I did not that Triton's still had strawberry soup on the lunch menu one day but I don't think they are identical...I'm sure someone will let me know if they are - but I noted some subtle differences.

Hmm.... I've had that in the MDRs for dinner (love it):
View attachment 190486 View attachment 190485

The option showing there is still offered in the MDR, I believe on the Captains Gala menu. My son had that one night.

The new item is a chocolate hazelnut lava cake at Palo brunch. I had it this past Thursday. This is what is offered there.
14192174_10210765148308923_5243344031882250793_n.jpg

It had a hazelnut filling. At first out server said almond but then the next time she mentioned it she said hazelnut, and I believe that is what it was.

I had the chocolate hazelnut lava cake at Palo brunch on Thursday. This is what is offered there.
14192174_10210765148308923_5243344031882250793_n.jpg

It had a hazelnut filling. At first out server said almond but then the next time she mentioned it she said hazelnut, and I believe that is what it was.

The option you posted is still offered in the MDR, I believe on the Captains Gala menu. My son had that one night.
Yum.

Over on the 'other' site a new brunch menu is posted, I don't know how to save the photo and put it over here nor do I think a direct link to it is allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter