MOMS TO TODDLERS (f/k/a the new mom's thread)

Hi everyone!!!

Bethany, I hope Owen is feeling better. I would have been MAD if that happened to me. We spent time with friends over the weekend and their son was coughing a bunch. He kept putting Spencer's toys in his mouth and kissing him and our friends didn't care. I would have gone nuts though if he had something serious and they didn't tell us. :mad:

Sara, WOW epipens are expensive! It's good that you receievd a diagnosis though. I can't believe how far along you are! I can't wait to see pictures of your princess! I love the name too; it was on our list. :)

Jen, good luck with adoption. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. :grouphug:

Michelle, Spencer is a runner and he has tried to run off several times. It scares me to death! He is SO FAST and sneaky; he will double back and it is hard to catch him. He has also figured out locks and the safety covers. I can't leave him alone at all. :scared1:

Spencer is doing OK. We are up north visiting my family and he is loving life. My mom has a pool so he got to swim for the first time. He loves the water! My dad and stepmom have been spoiling him. Some of you saw the $$$ Buzz I talked about on Facebook; well, they bought it for him! They have also bought him a bunch of other stuff and give him more each time we go over there. I have no idea how I am going to get it all back to FL.

He is talking more and more. He will usually try to repeat what we say, but still doesn't talk a bunch without prompting. He understands everything we say though.

I go back and forth on wanting another. I would love another child, but I worry how I would handle it. Still, hearing everyone here having kids, well... :)

Bethany - I'm glad to hear Owen didn't get too sick.

Michelle - I'm feeling pretty good, just the backpain is starting to get to me, mostly lower back. I'm starting to get worried about handling 2 kids too, especially when I have to go back to work.

Jen - Christopher kayaking sounds so fun!

Amber - sounds like Spencer is really getting spoiled! Alex wants that expensive Buzz too, but I just can't spend over $100 on a toy that I'm sure he'll break anyway.

Alex is getting more possessive of me too. The other night he was kissing my belly, then when DH tried to do the same, he said "No Daddy! That's my baby! You can't kiss it." then later when we were putting him to bed, he said, "Daddy you sleep in my room tonight, and I'm going to sleep in your room, because me & mommy are married now." :scared1::lmao:

Sara, that Alex story is hysterical! :lmao: Hope he adjusts well to being a big brother.

Amber, sounds like you're having a great visit - I'm sure Spencer loves being spoiled!

Jen, I love all the outdoor stuff you guys do. I grew up doing all that, but DH didn't, so we haven't done a lot of it since we've been married. I did convince him to at least borrow some camping gear and do a campout in the backyard sometime before the rainy season hits. Hopefully that will happen!

Owen is totally fine now, but DH and I both have colds. Ugh. Tomorrow I start after school care for G. again (the girl I nannied before Owen was born). No more napping while Owen naps for me, but it will be nice to have a steady income again.

And in the possibly TMI category, we had a BC failure last month and then AF was a few days late, and that solidified in my mind that I do NOT want a second child. :laughing: I was so worried that I was preg - I couldn't believe how much I was really hoping for AF to show up. I mean, it wouldn't be a tragedy to have another baby and I know I'd fall head over heels in love with any child who joins our family, but I kept thinking about all the things that would change and it made me sad. So I was seriously excited to see AF on Sunday (first time I ever was happy to see AF :rotfl:). It was actually a helpful (although stressful) experience - now I know that I'm really, really happy having just one child, and I'm content with our family the way it is. I'd been kind of worried that maybe we should have a second, but this confirmed our decision to stay with one. And now to make sure there's never another BC failure... :rolleyes1

Bethany---maybe you should try a different BC? I had the Mirena inserted after I had Caleb. It will last up to 5 yrs until you can have another one done. It is a more expensive form of BC but insurance covers it (at least mine did) after I had caleb so my ded/co ins was already taken care of! I never have to worry about any accidents! And if I decide I want another child I can have it taken out and since it is not hormone based can be ready to have another child.

Bethany---maybe you should try a different BC? I had the Mirena inserted after I had Caleb. It will last up to 5 yrs until you can have another one done. It is a more expensive form of BC but insurance covers it (at least mine did) after I had caleb so my ded/co ins was already taken care of! I never have to worry about any accidents! And if I decide I want another child I can have it taken out and since it is not hormone based can be ready to have another child.

yeah, I'm looking into that. I've had bad reactions to hormone based BC, so most of the usual options are out of the question. Thanks for sharing your experience with it - it helps to have real people tell me about it rather than just my dr.'s advice. :)

Bethany - glad your BC scare is over - that can be so stressful when it's not what you "plan" for. A little "snip-snip" comes to mind as an alternative method :rolleyes1

Bethany - glad your BC scare is over - that can be so stressful when it's not what you "plan" for. A little "snip-snip" comes to mind as an alternative method :rolleyes1

LOL...I've suggested that to DH but he's not so keen on the idea. ;) We have several friends who have gone that route and they all say it's really not a big deal - they've even been joking about having "a big V party" to celebrate :laughing: if he goes through with it. One of the guys had a guys night out two days before he got snipped and they joke that they've since come up with better ideas for the big V party. DH is still not persuaded, and one of his closest friends is majorly anti-V "don't mess with my parts" :rolleyes: so DH has support for both sides of the argument.

But it's still on the table, and in the end the cost factor might just persuade DH - it's totally covered by our HMO, so out of everything, it's one of the absolute cheapest options for us, especially long term. I told DH we could put the money we save on BC towards a romantic vacation for just us...so maybe that will help my argument. :)

Bethany---a vacation sounds like an excellent idea as an alternative to BC! I am hoping I can talk DH into one when the time comes but we'll see! I don;t want to do the Mirena forever! LOL! Plus it is much easier to recover from if I would have my tubes tied.

Do you guys think 23 months is too young to start putting on a potty? Caleb today took off his diaper every time he poo'd today! I think it might be time to start putting him on the potty if he is going to do that!

Bethany - my DH is pretty much against the idea too, but I'm still holding out hope of convincing him "some day" :rolleyes: The cost factor may help if that is covered by insurance....I think the romantic vacation should help too :goodvibes

Kara - it sounds like Caleb is ready to start training. Try it out, see how he reacts. I think we started Alex around that age, but he wasn't really fully ready until about his 3rd b-day. Good luck!

Hello All.

I'm new to this site. I have a daughter who will be turning 2 next month. Are there any stipulations with this thread? (i.e. stay at home moms only) Or is it for anyone with a toddler? I hope this isn't a crazy question. Thanks.

Hello All.

I'm new to this site. I have a daughter who will be turning 2 next month. Are there any stipulations with this thread? (i.e. stay at home moms only) Or is it for anyone with a toddler? I hope this isn't a crazy question. Thanks.

Welcome, MrsAB2! :goodvibes There's no stipulations with this thread - there's some stay at home moms and some who work full time and some who work part time and some who work part time from home...:) pretty much anyone who has a toddler and just is looking for a place to share the ups and downs and sometimes just vent or look for advice.

I'm Bethany, and I have a 2.5 yr old son, Owen. He'll be 3 in Dec and keeps us entertained with the funny things he says. He's also starting to drive us nuts with having a fit everytime he decides he doesn't want to do whatever it is we need to do next (meals, bedtime, going to the store, etc.). Big drama fits - "I'm going to go away!" "No! I don't want to!" running into the closet to hide, etc. etc.

Hi MrsAB2! Bethany provided a good overview of us, we've been pretty slow lately as many of the other mommies have had a 2nd child sometime this year.

My toddler, Alex, is probably one of the oldest on this thread at 3.5, but he tells people he's 8. :rolleyes:

Hi MrsAB2! Bethany provided a good overview of us, we've been pretty slow lately as many of the other mommies have had a 2nd child sometime this year.

My toddler, Alex, is probably one of the oldest on this thread at 3.5, but he tells people he's 8. :rolleyes:

my nephew just turned 4 and he tells everyone he is 9! LOL! He is very obsessed with the number 9 right now!

It's got to be the age for kids and numbers. For Christopher, everything is going to happen in 2 seconds, and everything costs $200. :)

I can't help with the sippy cups, sorry. We ended up getting Christopher a water bottle with a twist spout - it doesn't spill, fits easily in his backpack, and he'll still be able to use it when he's done with sippys.

Yeah, we only have the 10oz kind, but in a few different shapes. The Gerber ones are short and a little fatter, but still narrow enough on the bottoms to fit in his stroller snack tray cup holder. The Playtex ones have two different shapes at the bottom, but they're both tall and skinnier than the Gerber cups. Owen still likes to make a mess with any drink he's given, so we haven't been able to use the twist-spout bottles or straw sippy cups. Even with a sippy, he'll suck some in his mouth, then let it dribble out and say "is that funny, Mama?" to which I ALWAYS reply "no, it's not, and I'll take your drink away if you keep doing that." :rolleyes:

DH borrowed a 2-person tent from a friend and he and Owen are camping out in the backyard tonight. It's 10:30pm, so I think they're going to make it for the whole night! I was guessing that if Owen wasn't asleep by 9:30, DH would bring him in and they'd be done, but they've been out there since 7:30 without calling for me or coming in, so I'm guessing Owen finally conked out. Owen was so excited to be sleeping in a tent tonight, I wasn't sure he'd ever fall asleep! DH bought "special camping snacks" that he said were a secret for just the boys sleeping in the tent tonight. :laughing: And Owen picked out around a dozen books to bring out to read with his flashlight (although DH did most of the reading - I stopped in just before 8 to say goodnight and they were on book #5).

Now we'll see if I can sleep without my boys in the house! ;)

Bethany - Owen & your DH's campout sounds too cute! Alex and my DH slept on the floor in our bedroom last night - to sleep directly under the fan, so I had the whole king size bed to myself. Very nice! :thumbsup2

As for sippy cups, we have so many different kinds, I can't even count. DS can really drink out of anything now, but we still mostly use the sippys around the house to avoid spills. My favorites for how they've held up are some Mickey Mouse ones we got at Kohl's (can't remember brand and I'm not at home) and a Playtex one that clicks and locks. But since it's so hot here in summer, you really can't bring milk anywhere so I either bring a Cars water bottle (I think from Disney Store) or let DS drink out of my water bottle. He always seems to do that anyway, even when I bring his. :rolleyes:

2 weeks from today I'll be at the hospital prepping for my RCS at this time! :woohoo:

Where is everyone?

We use Nuby 10 oz insulated cups...but I can only find them on amazon and thesoftlanding (waaaay cheaper on soft landing). Although the speech pathologist said we should use straw cups to help promote speech. So we shall see...dentist said no to the straw cups.

Haven't been around in awhile..sooo DS is Jake, he'll be 2 in Jan. First trip to WDW is in just a few weeks :)

Where is everyone?

We use Nuby 10 oz insulated cups...but I can only find them on amazon and thesoftlanding (waaaay cheaper on soft landing). Although the speech pathologist said we should use straw cups to help promote speech. So we shall see...dentist said no to the straw cups.

Haven't been around in awhile..sooo DS is Jake, he'll be 2 in Jan. First trip to WDW is in just a few weeks :)

Yay for Jake's first trip to WDW! :cool1: I've taken Owen to DLR twice, and he's been asking to go back...DH has never come with us (not a fan of Disney trips), but he's starting to weaken, and I think he might come with us next time. We'll see...

Most folks are spending more time on Facebook than the DIS these days. I go back and forth - it's nice to get quick updates on FB, but I like the longer conversations on the DIS, too.

Owen woke up from his nap yesterday with a fever, and I'm still trying to decide if we need to take him in to the dr. Once the fever went down (around 9:30pm), he slept great and didn't wake up until around 4:15am when the fever was back and he needed some more medicine. Then he fell asleep again about 5:00am, and woke up in a great mood at 7:15. No fever now, and he's acting totally normal. I'm trying to decide if I should bring him to his music class as usual, or keep him home, or take him to the dr. to see if it's an ear infection. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping him home and taking a wait and see approach. If his fever keeps coming back throughout the day, we'll take him in tomorrow morning. Otherwise, it seems like he might be getting better on his own. I hate to give him more medicine than he really needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter