MOMS TO TODDLERS (f/k/a the new mom's thread)

Tiggerlover91

DIS Veteran
HELLO LADIES :wave:

Since the other thread was closed, I thought I would open us up here. I hope everyone finds it.

Mo turned a year and a half today! WOW! :goodvibes

Thanks Denise- I found us!!!

happy 18mos bday MO!! He is just precious!!!! :goodvibes

Becky- welcome home! I am checking out all your pics on facebook- looks like a great time- you guys are just such a cute family. Vaylie is so big- i love her hugging all the princesses!! so you gotta spill on how your trip was!

Sara (Pollito) is off on her vacation today I think?

same old stuff going on here- working all day and might run to get a pedi at lunch. I am really jealous of my teacher friends, about to be on summer break. Now is when I wished i went in to teaching instead of corporate america. I do very well at my job, but i would give up the extra cash for more time off- like every summer! :confused3 how i wish i could talk DH into letting me be a stay at home mom.

speaking of- how did you guys that do stay home reach that decision- did you work before and quit? DH would take a lot of convincing, but i really miss my little guy all day. I make 50% of our income and it would be a huge cut if we didn't have my income. financially it really wouldn't make sense, but in my heart, it does. I am truly blessed to even have a job (especially in today's world) and make pretty decent money, but i would give it all up to watch my little boy every day and see him grow up. I am really envious of those of you that get that chance. I've put the bug in DH's ear and he knows that i would love to stay home at some point. I just know it would mean giving up a lot, not just material thing or our quality of living, but things like being able to put money in Will's college fund that we have, heck, trips to WDW for that matter. i wish we could win the lottery or something or that DH would get a huge promotion!! :lmao::rotfl:

Hi Denise, and welcome back! Sorry things have been rough. :hug:

Congrats SSM2! Welcome, Cameron!! Sounds like there was plenty of excitement with Brycen. Glad he's okay!

Kara, we ended up getting a different bumper for our crib that Owen can't climb on: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Id=85182&categoryId=85214&subCategoryId=86194 it collapses down when he tries to step on it, and is very thin so there's really no support for him to stand on it. We still have it up to keep binkies in the crib, otherwise we'd have it off now. But he's never been able to stand on it - I've watched him try several times to make sure he's safe.
HTH!

Today is trash day...that means I'll be spending my day watching for trash trucks and even following them around the neighborhood. :rotfl: Fortunately there's a good bagel place in the garbage zone. Too bad their coffee is only ok. I think I get a treat for being willing to follow a garbage truck for Owen! ;)

same old stuff going on here- working all day and might run to get a pedi at lunch. I am really jealous of my teacher friends, about to be on summer break. Now is when I wished i went in to teaching instead of corporate america. I do very well at my job, but i would give up the extra cash for more time off- like every summer! :confused3 how i wish i could talk DH into letting me be a stay at home mom.

speaking of- how did you guys that do stay home reach that decision- did you work before and quit? DH would take a lot of convincing, but i really miss my little guy all day. I make 50% of our income and it would be a huge cut if we didn't have my income. financially it really wouldn't make sense, but in my heart, it does. I am truly blessed to even have a job (especially in today's world) and make pretty decent money, but i would give it all up to watch my little boy every day and see him grow up. I am really envious of those of you that get that chance. I've put the bug in DH's ear and he knows that i would love to stay home at some point. I just know it would mean giving up a lot, not just material thing or our quality of living, but things like being able to put money in Will's college fund that we have, heck, trips to WDW for that matter. i wish we could win the lottery or something or that DH would get a huge promotion!! :lmao::rotfl:

It was a fairly easy decision for us, Michelle, because my income has always been peanuts. Childcare workers just don't make much money, and the other things I'm qualified for (some church jobs, teaching voice lessons) pay just as little. Plus, I can do some part time childcare in my home and still have Owen with me. I'm not licenced, so I can't do much - more like a little babysitting for friends here and there - but I at least get a little money that way. Anything I earn goes in my Disney fund, and any other money I need comes from DH's income.

Sometimes it is hard that I don't have as much money coming in. Not that I've ever made a lot, but at least I had more for my Disney fund and I was able to buy DH's gifts with money I earned. DH is great about insisting that what he earns is ours, not his, but it still feels weird sometimes.

But I do love being home with Owen. It's definitely the right choice for us. I completely understand that not all moms can or want to stay home, and some of my best friends are working moms and that's great. But both DH and I love that I'm home with Owen, and I love my time with him. Sometimes it's hard and I get tired and wish I had a break - my workday doesn't start at 9 and end at 5 - and there are days when I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I have to read one more board book, but I can't imagine doing anything else right now.

When Owen starts kindergarten I'll go back to school to get a certificate in spiritual direction, and I plan to go back to work at least part time once I have that, but until then I think I'll be just doing childcare and staying home with Owen.

Good luck with your decision - it is hard to weigh all the options!

Michelle, DH and I discussed our options before I got pregnant. We figured that I would quit my job or try and go part time. Then, we decided to move and it just isn't possible for me to work right now (no one to watch Spencer and if we put him in daycare, that would eat up my paycheck). So, for now, we decided that I would not work until he is in school.

That being said, if we do move back north, then I will probably work because my mom can watch him.

It's tough not having as much money, and like Bethany, there are days I think I might goes nuts, but I LOVE it. It is hard to never really have a break; I'm here 24/7 (though DH does help).

A 50% pay cut is huge, but you could always figure out ways to cut expenses. You most likely wouldn't be buying as many clothes, you have more time for cooking, you wouldn't have to pay for gas to get to and from work, etc. Also, while it is awesome for you to put money away for college, the truth is, he can get loans/grants. Plus, you could stay home while he is little (or even find part time work) and go back full time when he is in school. Then, you have time to put money away for him again.

Hi Denise -- thanks for restarting our thread!!

DENISE -- do you know how to edit the thread title? I can post how to do it if you don't know how -- anyway -- can you please EDIT the thread title and call it MOMS TO TODDLERS (f/k/a the new mom's thread)

There is now another new moms thread started by the girls just coming off of the moms to be thread and we were all talking earlier on this thread that the new name of TODDLERS would make it easier to distinguish our thread from that one...espeically since we aren't new mom's anymore!!

Thanks!

Michelle, I was working in child care and finished my B.S in Early Childhood Ed before the twins. I probably would hve kept working and had the kids with me there, but it became obvious that I was not going to get the kind of discount on child care that I deserved as a teacher there, let alone the only teacher besides my director that had a BS degree. The only fair thing to me would have been for the twins to go free, especially considering that I did not recieve a raise upon completing my degree and having that degree helped our rating as far as the state of NC was concerned! Anway, it just wasn't worth it for me to work, so now I am home and i love the time just doing "stuff" with Sam & Zoe!

Glad I found the new group.

As for being a SAHM that is one thing we both agreed on long before we even got married. If we had kids one of us would stay at home. We just felt *very* strongly about it.

I quit my job about 6 months prior to TTC (which was stupid now looking back since it took us 2 years ot have a baby) to make sure we had a handle on our finances.

I am not going to give you numbers to brag, just to give you an idea of what it was like for us to do this.

When I quit my job, I was making on average about $50-55K a year (depending on bonuses) and my husband varied but brought in about $50-75K (just the way their salaries went there, it was based on company profits). So compared to him I was making about half or so. But we did it.

I found that we spent SO much less on eating out when I stayed home. I made dinner nightly and I would make lunch for my husband to bring with him every day. I spent far less on clothing for me as well as just "therapy shopping" in general. You'd think losing that much a year would be hard to adjust to but in the end it wasn't.

The downfall is that it was super scary when my DH lost his job, but we managed nad he has a great job now :)

It is very doable, I just suggest looking at where exactly you do spend money to see if it is possible to stay home.

there are days I am ready to lose it with DS, but in the end I know I am happiest doing this :)

Hi ladies. I am so frustrated. Zoe has puked her dinner twice this week. She will eat a great dinner, and while still at the table, cough and gag and then puke. She has always been a puker, as you may remember, but c'mon this is just enough. Its like she uses it as a secret weapon. I called the pediatrician's office to see how common this is. They said it could be some reflux or it could be the size of her tonsils (?). But basically, watch her and wait. If it seems to be getting worse, bring her in. She seems to be perfectly fine after it happens, and generally will eat more, since her tummy is empty! Suggestions or advice anyone?

Thanks Denise!!

Hi Meredith -- sorry to hear about Zoe. Is she gagging herself - meaning is she sticking her fingers in her mouth or something like that? Maybe some prevacid or zantac for her might help? Sorry she is doing that - I haven't heard of that before.

Sometimes I wish I could be a SAHM but given my school loans (which are over $800 a month) I have to work to pay those back. Plus -- I think the loss of my salary (which is more than DH) would be too much of a hit -- but I think I would love it. As it is now - I work from home on Wednesdays so Izzy and I have our special day together and that is great -- its a great compromise for me!!

Kara -- we kept Izzy's bumper - in fact she still has it. We just lowered her crib. We tried to take it out but she couldn't sleep w/o it and would cry and cry - so we left it in and she LOVES it....but we lowered her crib to make climbing out preventable!

Hope everyone is well. I am having a reunion with my college friends this weekend -- we reconnected after 13 years on Facebook!!!! So for that -- MEREDITH -- I thank you for dragging me kicking and sceaming into that technology.

Almost Friday!! Yay!

Bye guys!
Nicole

She's not sticking her fingers in, she just basically coughs and kinda opens her mouth wide until she pukes.

May I join?? My DS is 28 months old! To a PP, he is a puker too. Lately it is at the sound of thunder or fireworks (we live near a minor league baseball stadium that sets them off every fri night)

Welcome Erin!!

SSM, he is beautiful!

Meredith, I am no help with the puking; I've never heard of that. I hope the doctor can help.

SSM2, Cameron is beautiful! :angel:

Welcome, Erin! :goodvibes

Meredith, I wish I could help but I have no suggestions. I have heard of that happening with some kids, but I don't have any ideas on how to help. Sorry that the puking is still going on. I'm sure it's tiring for you. :hug:

Nicole, how fun to have a reunion with people you found again on facebook! Some of my friends did that, too, but they're all back in MN/WI/IL/MI area, so it was too far for me to join them.

We bought our new stove yesterday! :cool1: DH would have loved to do a professional quality gas range, but that was out of the budget. We ended up getting a Maytag double oven smooth-top electric range. I would have liked to have more features on it for DH, but he was in a "spend as little as possible" mode. I tried to persuade him that of all our appliances, this was the one we should spend money on for extra features, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Oh well. They did a special order for it and it will be delivered in 7-10 days. Even without the extras, it will be fun to have a new stove!

Glad I found the new group.

I am not going to give you numbers to brag, just to give you an idea of what it was like for us to do this.

When I quit my job, I was making on average about $50-55K a year (depending on bonuses) and my husband varied but brought in about $50-75K (just the way their salaries went there, it was based on company profits). So compared to him I was making about half or so. But we did it.

I found that we spent SO much less on eating out when I stayed home. I made dinner nightly and I would make lunch for my husband to bring with him every day. I spent far less on clothing for me as well as just "therapy shopping" in general. You'd think losing that much a year would be hard to adjust to but in the end it wasn't.
thanks for the advice guys and seeing numbers like that helps too. I am so blessed and thankful that we both do well, have jobs and are healthy and happy overall, but I just really would love to stay home. to give you an idea- I make about $80k right now with my bonus. It's a big chunk of change and DH makes a little bit more than that, about $85k or so. Day care runs us about $12k per year, so even if I was paying all the day care out of just my check, i am still making nearly $70k after childcare, so still alot to just walk away from.

The good thing as you said, is I wouldn't eat out as much, although I do pretty good cooking already- we only typically eat out one night a week and then a weekend lunch. I could give up and cut back on things like hair (every 6 weeks), pedis (i go every 2 weeks) and shopping. I am a shopaholic! I don't buy a lot of clothes per say, but I do love shopping and tend to overdo it. The good thing is we would be bumped down to another tax bracket, taxes eat us alive. Even with claiming 0 and having the max taken out (we will probably ask to have more taken out this year), we still had to pay about $4k for taxes this year and last- that is with a child, owning our own home and student loan interest etc. to write off. So that would be one good thing i guess. We are already on DH's insurance too, so that wouldn't change.

I think I need to really buckle down and focus on saving up a lot and doing all the things I want to do and buy now (new fence, new cabinets, fix windows etc.), so that I can hit up DH for the 'discussion' in Dec. We've talked about it as a long term goal for us- but if we don't really consider it soon, Will is going to be in high school before we know it! lol ;) Plus it would be great staying at home if I do get preggo again- i have miserable pregnancies and had to take a month off work due to severe m/s. Any other tips on how you make it work and what you cut back on are so appreciated!!!! You ladies are awesome. I know SAHM work very hard. Heck, i get tired reading the same book over and over to Will at night, I can't imagine how annoying it might get if I am doing it all day too- but i know it would be worth it! I just really would love the freedom and time to take him places to explore etc. like museums and stuff.

speaking of- for those that are SAHM- how do you keep up the social interaction for your kid/s? Will ADORES and loves his day care. He really enjoys his time there and they do teach him a lot- it is montesorri. I worry I wouldn't be able to provide that same level of learning and interaction with other kids- how do you do that?

Meredith- ugh on poor Zoe- I remember her being a puker. Will is too- he has a bad gag reflex. Does she act fine after she does it? like whether it hurts her or not? I hate that you have to deal with that, hopefully they figure out something soon.

ShootingStar- Cam is so cute- what a handsome little guy!!! How are things going - are you home yet?

Erin- welcome!!!! we are thrilled to have you on board!!! any pics of your littel guy?

Nicole- HI!! how is little Izzy doing?

Denise- did you start the new job yet?

Bethany- lol at the trash trucks- that is just too funny.

Becky/Kelly- you guys back and rested yet? I saw your pics on facebook- and they are so great. Kelly- you were there for the whole 'monsoon' that Orlando got- how was it?

Oh and day care had a train yesterday- his teacher said he loved it. He's ridden one at the mall before. that will be good for when we go to WDW in 6 months! She said he laughed the entire time and had a ball. and that him and another little girl, Parker are always playing together- teasing each other and stuff. I think he already has his first little girlfriend and she is a real cutie!

I think Sara is gone this week on her trip! Hopefully she is having a great time!

Michelle, I've got a few different things I do to keep up Owen's (and my own!) social interaction.

First, we already have a group of 10 families who all live within a few blocks of us that we hang out with fairly regularly. We do potluck with 5 of those families every Tuesday night, and when we go for walks we stop past someone's house and see if anyone is home just for a quick visit. When anyone in the group needs a babysitter during the day, I'm the first one they call, so we see some of the kids each week. Sometimes we do play dates with the kids who are home during the day.

We also take advantage of community resources like library story times, the children's museum (and their story times and concerts), and neighborhood play groups. The main library has a toddler stay & play story time on Fridays that Owen loves, and our local branch as a bilingual story time on Wednesdays that we go to as well. Our neighborhood has an email group that I subscribed to and found some more moms with kids Owen's age, and we get together a couple times a month for play dates around town.

I've also started signing Owen up for toddler classes through the city programs. We'll do parent-child swim lessons this summer, and we've been doing Music Together classes at our local community center.

Owen's favorite social times are at church and going to our BF's house. He's got a couple kids at church that are his "buddies". He knows their names and looks forward to seeing them every week. And we do regular childcare swaps with our BF's who have a DD3yr that Owen adores. She thinks of Owen as her little brother and bosses him around, and he ignores her and tries to do everything she does. :laughing: She calls him her hugabugaboo, and he likes to carry around a picture of her. It's pretty cute! So we trade off watching each others' kid for date nights and sometimes do things together with the kids, too. Tonight they're watching Owen at their house, and tomorrow night we'll take their DD.

Anyway, those are the things we've done. When Owen is 2 I'd like to start him at a parent-participation preschool two mornings a week, but I haven't decided which one yet. But I'd like it to be something that I can do with him. I just love spending time with him and being with him, and I love doing all these things with him. I know I'm going to be sad when he goes off to Kindergarten without me!

I found it!

SSM---Cameron is too cute...wow...was it really over 8 mos ago...when caleb was that size! :sad1:

Michelle: I wish I could be a stay at home mom...but in this economy i am saving all the money we can and luckily for us our daycare is free (MIL watches him)

Today is my last day at my old job...i start the new one on Monday...so no break for me. Today is also my SIL's last day for the summer (she works for the school and has to go 2 weeks after school ends and two weeks before school starts and works in the office).... i told my nephew that we both have last days today but i dont get the break...i said at least i get the weekend off...and the too smart almost 9 yr old goes "aunt Kara...everybody gets the weekend off!" :lmao:

And I took Caleb today to the chiropractor (don;t know if i have mentioned this before...he has been going to help with the reflux) and he does not have to go back unless he starts majorly spitting up again. This has done wonders as he hardly ever spits up anymore...just wish we would have done it sooner!

Oh and we are definitley lowering the crib this weekend...he has been waiting for us in the am sitting up in bed...not good!

He has officially starting sitting up on his own...he got his first biggy boy bath (no baby tub) wed night and again last night...he loved splashing in the water and playing with his toys. And he is starting to slowly crawl...

So i will be in trouble here in a little bit...:scared1:

oh and i am thinking of getting a bike so i can put the baby seat in it...I think Caleb would love taking a ride. But I was wondering...so they make baby helments...i would think he would need one!

Ladies, thatnks for the support re: the puking (we call her Pukinella) with Zoe. It does help to hear that a couple of you are dealing with some puking as well (Erin, welcome, and Michelle). Hopefully it is just a strong gag reflex, since it does seem to involve coughing too.

SSM, Ca meron is too cute!

Michelle, for social interaction we see friends, go to the gym (they have childcare), our twins club playgroup, etc. After summer is over I am going to do drop in childcare or a Moms Morning Out once a week for something else to do. We do activities to stimulate development here at home, and I plan on enrolling them in public school pre-k the year before they go to Kindergarten (more at 4 program). If we don't get in for any reason, I will look for a pre-k program for them.

Kara- good luck on the new job- are you excited about it?

Meredith/Bethany- thanks for all the tips on the social interaction- I know there is a lot out there for reading time, playgroups and stuff- it is great to hear about them all. I think a once a week mother's day out 1/2 day or something is great too. plus, gives mom a break! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter