• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Miss B's Magical Wish Trip Adventure to Atlantica

Hi,

I just stumbled across your post about finding Ariel as we are going with friends whose daughter loves Ariel and that led me to this thread about Brooke's illness.

I wanted to share that I had stage III Wilms' Tumor when I was 5 1/2 in 1983. 28 years later, it is part of my history but not something I vividly remember. Feel free to contact me via private message if you have any questions for me about being a Wilms' Tumor survivor.

I hope that your daughter gets her wish granted and I think it is wonderful all the work you are doing to help childhood cancer research and treatment :)

Erin

Amazing! I'm so glad to hear that. As much as I want to her know and feel proud of what she has accomplished in terms of cancer, I don't want her to remember all that time in the hospital and chemo treatments and oh, so many pokes and prods. We try to focus on the positive as much as possible--which is why we try to celebrate the important things--great scan results, port removals, raising $ for cancer organizations, etc. I want her to smile when she looks back on this past year and said, "I did it. So can you."

Thank you for your message. Means a lot to me to hear these things! She's definitely our little heroine. :)

That's great about the fundraising...hope the wish grantors come soon!
Me, too! I think my excitement might actually be rubbing off on my hubby, too!

How did the Candlelighters Fundraising event turn out??? I am so excited and happy! Please tell Pascal EXCELLENT job!!!!! Praying you are doing well...Lisa wants to meet you because you are from Canada, :rotfl: she thinks that is SOOOOOOOO cool! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes Rachel and I want a Beaver Tail (made me think of funnel cakes). When we googled it we found a site that said they were no longer at one of the outposts...I wonder if you can still get them in Epcot??? :confused3:confused3 Hope all is well! :goodvibes

The fundraiser turned out awesome! So many people there. The weather was fabulous and Pas ended up raising $1,220! So wonderful--his team reached their goal of $2,500, while the event raised a total of $670,000--$50,000 more than last year! Awesome!!

Pascal and his team were even interviewed for next year's video promotion project--and mentioned Brooke and why they are doing this. She will get a kick out of seeing that, I think!

The only down part of the event was that I didn't end up going with the girls. :( Avie wasn't feeling top shape, hadn't slept much the night before and since the race was in the middle of her naptime, I decided to stay at home with the girls instead. It's too bad--I really would have liked for Brooke to go--she would have so much fun, too. There are a few more Candlelighters events this year, so we'll have to make it up for sure!

Canada is cool? Well, we sure think so! Especially in winter! :rotfl:

Beaver Tails are very much like funnel cakes. Hope they do sell them still at Epcot. Funny--we have Beaver Tail stands all over the capital here and yet, we NEVER go. But, if we were to see one at Disney, we would totally stop! Weird, patriotic, we're-Canadian-too!-thing, I guess. ;)

So, I contacted MAW this week to find out what the status is on Brooke's application and spoke with the area representative who was just wonderful on the phone. She said how the agency is looking so forward to having the privilege to grant Brooke's wish and how they really enjoyed the photos I sent along of Brooke and Avie. She said it was great that I contacted them about confirming receipt of the application, but they were planning to call later this week anyways, as they are just arranging with some wish grantors in our area and will likely call us next week to schedule a wish meeting.

She was just lovely on the phone and we are now very excited. Will keep you posted!:wizard:

YAY!!!! I knew they'd get to you :goodvibes Once the grantors are arranged you'll have that first visit and things will start happening pretty quicly!

The sun is shining. The birds are singing and it's the first of May. Couldn't be a more spetacular morning. Oh--and Pascal just left to go cycle 70km for Candlelighters (our chidhood cancer organization)--having raised a total of $1,220! We are so proud! :cutie:

Whoohoo, that rocks :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! No real update this week, other than I just discovered that a new MAW chapter is being established in my town! And, just when I was thinking that I would really enjoy volunteering for them and getting involved in wish granting and fun, children-based fundraisers. :) :lovestruc

Seems like fate, so I contacted the women in charge of the MAW's inaugural event (a Teddy Bear Picnic in June!) and we've been chatting for a few weeks now. Even though it was last-minute, she asked me to join one of their MAW meetings, but I wasn't able to make it because Pascal was at a city council meeting (about the state of our roads! We live on one of a few gravel roads in the area and we've been 'priority' to get it paved for three years now, but nothing is happening and the road is getting worse and worse!:headache:) that night and we had no babysitter for the girls. Anyways, I've told her I'd be happy to go to the next meeting and offered to help out with the event in any way. Right now, she's asked me to help put up some posters to advertise the Picnic around our community. Can't wait to find out more about it and this new chapter! :yay:

Hope you are enjoying a great MOTHER'S DAY:goodvibes

How great that your town will have a local chapter:cool1:

Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I know I did! This year, we decided to attend a local tuip festival--this year's children's area theme was 'Whimsical Tea Party' à la Alice in Wonderland--everything from Mad Hatter hats to Queen of Heart cakes to croquet on the lawn and a screening of the film on giant screens during lunch. Can you guess which Disney character has become Brooke's latest obsession? Brooke had never seen that movie before, but she is now asking to rent it so we could see the rest of it. (We left halfway through since there was still so much to see and do!) She is now looking for rabbit holes in the hopes of falling down one!

Anyways, here are some pics from our Tea Party adventure....

A jester character in the main courtyard.
DSC_0023.jpg

Brooke modeling her Mad Hatter hat she created in the Queen of Hearts tent. I don't know why she looks so unimpressed. Really! She was having a good time!
DSC_0134.jpg

Avie and Brooke watching a magic show (and eating lollipops--Daddy let Avie suck his! No surprise--she loved it.). Brooke was so excited because she got to help 'tie' up the magician in his rope escape trick.
DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0149-1.jpg

Brooke playing giant-sized croquet. She was a champ! Knew just what to do.
DSC_0212.jpg

B getting a sticker from a volunteer running the croquet station.
DSC_0220.jpg

Avie just being silly while Brooke and Daddy played with bubbles and tried to balance plates on poles!
DSC_0224.jpg

After all that excitement, we needed a snack to cool us off!
DSC_0296.jpg

More of Easter and Avie's bday to come! Enjoy!

So, I just heard from Make-a-Wish--and they are coming this Saturday morning!!!!! So excited. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I'm also thrilled because our contact, Anne (who has been nothing but positively sweet on the phone), will be one of our wish grantors. She'll be coming with another volunteer.

I'm just so excited to get this party started. Of course, we'll see if Brooke's Ariel wish is the wish that is actually granted, but all signs seem to be pointing to yes. Anne even asked that we have copies of passports and prescriptions ready for the 'possibility of a travel wish.' Check!

Besides having to clean my house for the meeting, is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for the meeting? Any questions I should be asking? Any information I should be inquiring about?

And how does picking the dates work? Do they just give you dates or a few options or do you get to pick them? I'm a little worried about that now because Pas and I were discussing it and we think that early October would be the best time to go, but we never wrote that down on the paperwork we filled out months ago. I wonder now if they'll just give us dates for like 6 weeks from now since we didn't specify! I'll panic, if that's the case! Of course, we'd take it, but I'm such a planner....

There's so much I want to do beforehand--reservations to make, money to save, a new camcorder to purchase....urgh! Okay, getting way ahead of myself again, as usual....coming back down from the crazy high!....

Alright--I'll take any suggestions anyone has to offer with much thanks!!

Miss B will be over the moon when she finds out about the wish visit. :dance3: Yeah!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!! So excited for you guys!!!!!!:banana:

I know, right? I've been just grinning from ear to ear since I heard. I can't wait to tell B. I think I'll steal a page from Blessedmom4's book and give B a royal proclamation that her fairy godmothers are on their way!

Oh em geeeeeee, those are some cute pictures!!!

Thank you! Can't resist snapping pics of those kiddos. :)

can't wait to hear all about the meeting!!

I will definitely have an update for everyone this weekend! Now, I just need to get ready. Any suggestions for questions I need to ask?

Looks like we're going to DISNEY!!!!! This morning was Brooke's wish visit and it just went amazingly well. Both volunteers, Anne and Laura, were awesome and Brooke was just sooooo excited---she couldn't stop giving them hugs and dancing around.

Before they arrived, I told B that she was going to be visited by her fairy godmothers to ask her what her wish was. She asked me "How are they going to get here? In a car or by their wings?"

They brought B a huge bag of gifts--that B spotted the minute Anne came in the house. I had expected some sort of little giftie, since I had read about other people's experiences and knew that some girls received a teddy bear or a Barbie or a gift card. But, they brought Brooke a number of things: a set of audio Ariel books, a barrel of playdoh and accessories and a giant teapot filled with Ariel tea cups! She was ecstatic!! "My favourite princess!" she shrieked, hopping around the living room.
DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

They also brought Avie a little set of toddler chubby crayola crayons for the bath. Perfect!! Avie was just so happy for company, she just crawled around, playing with everything and handing Laura random toys. They loved playing with our smiley little girl.

Then, the time came for the official wish. Anne pulled out a little plastic wishing star necklace from her magic bag and handed it to Laura. Laura set it up and put it on Brooke and the star began to glow! :wizard:They asked Brooke what she would like for her wish. And, she said "To meet all the princesses checked off in my book!" :lovestruc
DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Then she ran over to her Disney Princess magazine and brought it over to show Laura. There is a page in the magazine where you can draw a picture of a princess and submit it to the magazine to be published in a later issue. On that page, there is also a headshot of each princess with a checkbox beside it to tell the magazine which of the princesses is your favourite. Brooke had checked them all off and then showed it to the volunteers. She said "I want to see all the ones I've checked off." Then, she went around and named them all. Laura and Anne were laughing at this, as it was so cute. :lovestruc

Then, Anne asked me if it was okay to give Brooke a little chocolate. I said sure, since it is a special occasion and she had already eaten her breakfast. Well, Anne pulls out a fish-shaped chocolate lollipop and a giant KitKat bar, so Brooke replied "Chocolate! My favourite!!!" and immediately devoured the fish (we kept the KitKat for later).

Brooke then decided to open the teapot and preceded to make each of us a cup of make-believe tea. While she was playing, Anne asked me about the three wishes. I outlined my interpretation of them as per Brooke's actual words.

1. "To swim with Ariel at Cinderella's castle" -- to meet Ariel and the other princesses.
2. "To use the princesses stuff" -- to be princess for a day (makeover, tea at the local 'castle' hotel)
3. "To have a park" -- a playstructure with swings and a slide.

Then, Anne said that the first one was completely doable and said it was going to happen. I was just so overjoyed and excited for Brooke, that I got all vaklempt and started to tear up, saying we weren't sure because we know there are so many deserving children out of there, who may not be as healthy or as fortunate as we are. I was just ovewhelmed that they would do this absolutely AMAZING thing for Brooke!!! :cloud9:
DSC_0026-1.jpg

Anyways, we discussed GKTW and dates and all kinds of deets. They asked if she would be interested in a Cinderella dinner or a trip to BBB and I said definitely. So, they took notes on that. I'm not certain if that means they'll be taking care of reservations or not. I'll have to double check on that, but they said they'd look into it.

Looks like we are looking at a date in mid-September--which will be just be a few weeks before Brooke's birthday--so we'll definitely be celebrating her birthday in style! Anne said she will get back in touch with me soon about it, and that they will keep us in the loop the entire time. :hug:

They said that they would likely come to make the presentation about a month before the trip, so I'm going to try to keep the trip a surprise until then. Brooke wouldn't be able to understand that wait of a few months time anyways, so might as well. Else she'll be asking every single day "Are we going to Disney today?!"

Anyways, before they left and got goodbye hugs, they also gave Brooke a Make-a-Wish star magnet for the fridge. So many goodies and so many smiles---so sweet!:lovestruc
DSC_0021-2.jpg

I'm sooooo excited for her! My hubby and I are just grinning from ear to ear with delight at the thought of her face when she sees Ariel in person.

It was just a perfectly magical amazing wish-filled day!

I will upload some photos soon!

WOO HOO!!!! What a great time of year to go!!! Wont be too crowded!! They also start MNSSHP that early if you are interested in that. Brooke looked super duper happy with her FairyGodmothers!! What a special day!!!:goodvibes

WOO HOO!!!! What a great time of year to go!!! Wont be too crowded!! They also start MNSSHP that early if you are interested in that. Brooke looked super duper happy with her FairyGodmothers!! What a special day!!!:goodvibes

She really liked them! Even asked after they left when they were coming back. :) We'll definitely have to check out MNSSHP--Brooke just loves Halloween, so she'll just be so happy to see pumpkin and fall displays! Right up her alley.

Yah for making her wish. Sounds like a fun day.

It really was. Pascal and I were walking around in a daze all afternoon. I don't think it's really sunk in yet. So much to do---but we're going to Disney!!!! She's going to visit Cinderella's castle, ride the teacups, see the Princesses and meet The Mermaid!!!

what a wonderful day for Brooke and you all! hope you get your actual dates soon so you can PLAN!!!!

Glad your little princess is going to meet all the big princesses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter