Miss B's Magical Wish Trip Adventure to Atlantica

I just got caught up on your PTR. Our kids do look amazingly similar and our stories are very close. I relate so, so much to you describing going home and leaving that first night to be with your baby daughter. They didn't want me to stay the first night since I had our DD so since we were 3 hours from home I went to a hotel alone(my dad drove me and went home because I was too much of a wreck to drive up there). I cried almost the whole night into my sweet sleeping baby. It was the single worst night of my life. I was also a nursing mom. Luckily the oncology clinic was much more accommodating and always welcomed us staying as a family after that.

I also really relate to Avie having the focus not on her like it should have been. What troopers children and babies are thankfully.

I will be following along in you MAW journey and I hope you get contacted soon! I'm so happy the port removal went well for Brooke! Ev did really well with it too, walked right out of the hospital like nothing happened. You have such a beautiful family!

I just got caught up on your PTR. Our kids do look amazingly similar and our stories are very close. I relate so, so much to you describing going home and leaving that first night to be with your baby daughter. They didn't want me to stay the first night since I had our DD so since we were 3 hours from home I went to a hotel alone(my dad drove me and went home because I was too much of a wreck to drive up there). I cried almost the whole night into my sweet sleeping baby. It was the single worst night of my life. I was also a nursing mom. Luckily the oncology clinic was much more accommodating and always welcomed us staying as a family after that.

I also really relate to Avie having the focus not on her like it should have been. What troopers children and babies are thankfully.

I will be following along in you MAW journey and I hope you get contacted soon! I'm so happy the port removal went well for Brooke! Ev did really well with it too, walked right out of the hospital like nothing happened. You have such a beautiful family!

Thank you! Glad you will be joining us on our journey. I'm hoping to hear soon! It's been a month now, but I'm not sure if I should contact them to see what the status is. I don't want to seem pushy or impatient! I just have to remind myself that B's time will come and there are lots of deserving children out there and only so many spots, so much $ to send kids, so many volunteers to cover all the cases, etc.

In the meantime, I'm wondering what kinds of questions I should have for the wish grantors should they come. I think I'll start compiling a list--as I am sure to have gazillions and I'll probably forget them all at the time! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The weather has finally started to warm up (well, it was delightfully warm back in February for a few weeks, but then the snowstorms returned and the chill set back in March. Ick!) and looks like it is going to stay that way. Snow is melting from the front yard. The sun is shining and the birds are singing! About time, too! I can't believe it's April on Friday!

It finally seems like spring is arriving and I have only a week left before I have to return to work from maternity leave. Ugh! Would figure. As soon as it gets nice, I have to go back to the office.

Sorry if it seems like I am complaining--I know my 13 months of mat leave are not the norm for everyone and I consider myself very fortunate to have received it!--but it just wasn't the year off I was expecting. I'm bummed that I have to return in a week (even though I love my job and my co-workers!)and leave my girls. :(

B will be starting school in the fall (her early entry period begins next week! Egads! Next week!) and Avie turns one in a little more than a week (toddlerhood! Double egads!). Seems like my babies are growing up so quickly and I hate to miss even a few months of it. Oh well....I'll get back into the swing of things shortly.

Just joining in, what a road you've all traveled over the last year. I can empathize to a certain extent. We have two girls and our younger was diagnosed with chiari malformation of the brain when she was 3. She had been having balance problems and would have extreme headaches that would come on very fast and basically send her to the floor :guilty:

Being a parent and seeing your child go through something like that without being able to just “fix it” is tough. She had to have brain surgery to correct it and thankfully has made a full recovery with no return of symptoms. :yay: She also was a real trooper throughout the process and I have to give BIG kudos to the children’s hospital where it was all done. The staff there made it so much easier and really paid attention to her.

I’m so happy that your little one is doing so well and pray that your family never has to go through anything like that again.

I can give some small insight on the Make-A-Wish thing, as I am a volunteer wish granter for the organization. It can take 1-2 months to hear back initially, depending on the size of the staff of your area chapter and the amount of wishes that have come in during the same time period. If it gets beyond 2 months I would say it would be very reasonable to contact them. Just call them with a good Disney attitude and I’m sure they’ll be able to help clarify what’s happening with your request. :goodvibes

I unfortunately don’t have any info as to whether they make dining reservations for you or not. All of the DLR/WDW-related wishes (once approved) are handled by the Anaheim/Orlando chapters. I do know that they work hard to make the experience a very magical one. Have you done any looking into Give Kids the World? They partner with MaW and other wish-granting organizations and are an amazing part of the experience.

I look forward to hearing more – have a great day! :thumbsup2

Just joining in, what a road you've all traveled over the last year. I can empathize to a certain extent. We have two girls and our younger was diagnosed with chiari malformation of the brain when she was 3. She had been having balance problems and would have extreme headaches that would come on very fast and basically send her to the floor :guilty:

Being a parent and seeing your child go through something like that without being able to just “fix it” is tough. She had to have brain surgery to correct it and thankfully has made a full recovery with no return of symptoms. :yay: She also was a real trooper throughout the process and I have to give BIG kudos to the children’s hospital where it was all done. The staff there made it so much easier and really paid attention to her.

I’m so happy that your little one is doing so well and pray that your family never has to go through anything like that again.

I can give some small insight on the Make-A-Wish thing, as I am a volunteer wish granter for the organization. It can take 1-2 months to hear back initially, depending on the size of the staff of your area chapter and the amount of wishes that have come in during the same time period. If it gets beyond 2 months I would say it would be very reasonable to contact them. Just call them with a good Disney attitude and I’m sure they’ll be able to help clarify what’s happening with your request. :goodvibes

I unfortunately don’t have any info as to whether they make dining reservations for you or not. All of the DLR/WDW-related wishes (once approved) are handled by the Anaheim/Orlando chapters. I do know that they work hard to make the experience a very magical one. Have you done any looking into Give Kids the World? They partner with MaW and other wish-granting organizations and are an amazing part of the experience.

I look forward to hearing more – have a great day! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the info! Yes, we've done a little bit of research on GKTW, but as we don't know if that it where we will be placed (or even if Brooke's wish will be granted!), I hate to get to much ahead of myself. I guess even having a PTR is too much ahead of myself, isn't it?!? LOL!! :laughing: It's just everyone I seem to be speaking to says it will likely happen and we will likely be staying at GKTW (which I sincerely hope--that place looks amazing and it would be a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see it!).

I'm glad to get some perspective from the other side of the MAW fence. I'm glad to see so far that we are in the norm in our waiting process, then. Like you suggested, I'll wait another month and then if I still haven't heard anything, perhaps I'll contact them to see what's up.

Thanks again--and so glad to hear your daughter has made such a wonderful recovery! :)

Thanks so much for the info! Yes, we've done a little bit of research on GKTW, but as we don't know if that it where we will be placed (or even if Brooke's wish will be granted!), I hate to get to much ahead of myself. I guess even having a PTR is too much ahead of myself, isn't it?!? LOL!! :laughing: It's just everyone I seem to be speaking to says it will likely happen and we will likely be staying at GKTW (which I sincerely hope--that place looks amazing and it would be a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see it!).

I'm glad to get some perspective from the other side of the MAW fence. I'm glad to see so far that we are in the norm in our waiting process, then. Like you suggested, I'll wait another month and then if I still haven't heard anything, perhaps I'll contact them to see what's up.

Thanks again--and so glad to hear your daughter has made such a wonderful recovery! :)

You're very welcome for the info, glad to. Hope you hear something very soon. And thank you for the good thoughts on my daugher. She's 11 now and is doing great ...and even loves showing off her scar :goodvibes

Totally random question: Is there character meet and greets with the other unsung heroines of Disney movies? I'm thinking of Gisele from Enchanted or Megara from Hercules? Or Esmerelda from Hunchback or Princess Kida from Atlantis? Or how about the fairy godmothers from Sleeping Beauty--Flora, Fauna and Merriweather? I've never seen photos of these characters so I doubt they are available, but just curious!

Kinda want to do a 'princess hunt' with Brooke, since she is soooo into them right now. (I often have to play 'Prince Eric' or 'Fairy Godmother' with her. I also get to be the evil queen. Rare is it I ever get to be the princess!) And I was just thinking of other princesses.

If there are no character meetings, is there somewhere I can find them at the parks (like a statue or a topiary)? I think it would be a cool game to play!

Totally random question: Is there character meet and greets with the other unsung heroines of Disney movies? I'm thinking of Gisele from Enchanted or Megara from Hercules? Or Esmerelda from Hunchback or Princess Kida from Atlantis? Or how about the fairy godmothers from Sleeping Beauty--Flora, Fauna and Merriweather? I've never seen photos of these characters so I doubt they are available, but just curious!

Kinda want to do a 'princess hunt' with Brooke, since she is soooo into them right now. (I often have to play 'Prince Eric' or 'Fairy Godmother' with her. I also get to be the evil queen. Rare is it I ever get to be the princess!) And I was just thinking of other princesses.

If there are no character meetings, is there somewhere I can find them at the parks (like a statue or a topiary)? I think it would be a cool game to play!

Good question! I know they did specific character-related events around the release of each of those movies, but I don't know that those characters actully make any kind of current rotation.

Need a more experienced park-goer to chime in ;)

Nothing too new and interesting to report other than Brooke starts SCHOOL tomorrow! Ack! Well, it isn't really school--it's an early-entry period (one half-day per week for the month of April) to give her an idea of what school will be like in the fall. A nice way to introduce her to her classmates and teacher and just get her looking forward to September.

But, I still need to pack her backpack and lunchbox and get her up early tomorrow morning to get ready. Can't wait. I'm sure it will be a little emotional for me to drop her off to school (no bus service until the fall), but I think she will enjoy it!

It's hard to tell how Brooke will react in the beginning--I know she will love the stimulation other children and crafts and storytime will bring her--but sometimes her first reaction is to smile warmly and outgoingly say hello without an iota of shyness, other times, she can be timid at first and will want to be with me. Not sure what to expect tomorrow morning.

She used to be in daycare and loved it, but I took her out when I went on mat leave and she's been out of it for a year now--a year we didn't too much in the way of social interactions! And, to top it off, it is a French school and I find that Brooke lost much of her French-language speaking (she still understands a great deal) while at home with me.

All I know is that by lunchtime, she will be having a blast and won't want to leave! And, she'll probably have a dozen new friends she won't be able to stop talking about.

Now, I have to go to Costco to get some groceries and see if I can get her a new backpack!

That sounds like aneasy way to get her used to school! Hope it went well.

It did! She was so excited. We were still eating breakfast and she was already standing at the door, fully dressed with her jacket and boots and backpack on and holding her lunchbag.

As soon as we arrived, she waved hello to the secretary and showed her her Tinkerbell backpack. Then, she went to her class and put on her indoor shoes and just went and hugged the teacher. She sat down and waved goodbye to us without a hint of shyness! I was so proud of her! Almost had me in tears.

I took some photos, so I will put them up a bit later.

When my hubby went to pick B up (Avie was napping, so I stayed home with her), I asked how it went and the teacher said Brooke did really well. Was a little shy during the sing-a-long because the songs were in French, but she did the hand gestures and clapped along no problem. She said B smiled all day!

She said that lunch was her favourite part of the day. Weirdo! I put a special 'Have a good day! Love you!' note in her lunchbox full of stickers and a drawing I made of her going to school (since she can't really read but can recognize her name, the words 'love' and 'Mommy'). I even found these really cute Disney Princess ziploc bags at the dollar store, so I bought a box and put her sandwich in it. She was so surprised!

Now, she can't wait until next week to go back!

It did! She was so excited. We were still eating breakfast and she was already standing at the door, fully dressed with her jacket and boots and backpack on and holding her lunchbag.

As soon as we arrived, she waved hello to the secretary and showed her her Tinkerbell backpack. Then, she went to her class and put on her indoor shoes and just went and hugged the teacher. She sat down and waved goodbye to us without a hint of shyness! I was so proud of her! Almost had me in tears.

I took some photos, so I will put them up a bit later.

When my hubby went to pick B up (Avie was napping, so I stayed home with her), I asked how it went and the teacher said Brooke did really well. Was a little shy during the sing-a-long because the songs were in French, but she did the hand gestures and clapped along no problem. She said B smiled all day!

She said that lunch was her favourite part of the day. Weirdo! I put a special 'Have a good day! Love you!' note in her lunchbox full of stickers and a drawing I made of her going to school (since she can't really read but can recognize her name, the words 'love' and 'Mommy'). I even found these really cute Disney Princess ziploc bags at the dollar store, so I bought a box and put her sandwich in it. She was so surprised!

Now, she can't wait until next week to go back!
LOVE IT! great job brooke, and mommy too!

jcspring.gif

Just wondering if anyone (wishtrippers or purely lucky folks!) has been 'backstage' or met the actors in the 'Voyage of the Little Mermaid' show after the show?

I'm pretty confident that we'll meet Ariel in her human form (either at a character dining reservation (if I can get one, natch!:thumbsup2) or at a meet-and-greet. We'll be hunting her down, so not too worried there. But, as Ariel's Grotto is no more, I was wondering how Brooke would be able to see Ariel as a mermaid. Going to this attraction will definitely be on our must-do list!

Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten the chance to meet with the actors after the show? I wonder if MAW can arrange something. Seems like a pretty unlikely request, so I just want some feedback before I even entertain the idea of suggesting it to wish grantors. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter