• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Maybe We Should Go To Disney World Next Week" An Impromptu May DR *COMPLETE*

I'm so happy you're writing another trip report! We were there at the same time, I wish I saw you, I totally would have recognized you guys because I really liked your last report!

Oh darn, that's a shame we never bumped into each other! Hope you had an awesome trip as well! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read your reviews!!! popcorn:::jumping3:

Thanks for joining in! :)

Joining! popcorn:: I'm really jealous for your sudden trip though. That never happens to me.

Hi there! Last minute trips are so exciting! It almost works out better because I don't over analyze my plans to death. :laughing:

Im IN like Flynn!!

I loved your last dining report and I'm SO jealous of this spur of the moment one!!

We have to wait until next year for our trip so I'll just vacation/eat vicariously through yours!!

:rotfl:

Welcome! Having a trip planned that far out is almost torture. I would probably drive poor Rob crazy with planning if our trip was that far off. :laughing:

Yay! I am so happy you had fun! I loved the photos you posted through FB/Instagram. I can't wait to start reading the DR! LOVE the photo of you with Anna & Elsa! :dancer:

Thanks Megan! I felt like such a goober waiting to see Elsa and Ana by myself, but I'm glad I did. How could I pass up a FP for their meet and greet when it is so sought after!

I'm here, I'm here, don't start without me :wave:

Love the Anna and Elsa pic - although what is up with Elsa's wig :confused3

Hey Joh! :wave2: Are you saying that's not Elsa's real hair? :lmao:

The Anna and Elsa pic is super cute :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks! They were so adorable and they were so great with all the kids. And this big kid. :laughing:

Looking forward to your reviews.

Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

Looking forward to the reviews!

Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

So excited for another of your DRs. I followed you over on Instagram and loved seeing live updates from your trip to the World. Looking forward to hearing about the new and not-so-new places you got to try!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you joined along with me on Instagram too. Can't wait to review all of our new spots. I definitely have a few new favorites after this trip!

Joining in! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

Thanks for joining in! So excited to get this DR started!

Can't wait to read a post-trip report!

Welcome! First reviews coming right up! :thumbsup2

Welcome! :wave2:

Cant wait for your dining report!!

Hi there! :wave2: The reviews start next! So excited to kick it off!

Alright folks, let's kick this DR off!

We were set to check into CBR on Sunday May 11, but first we had a very long drive ahead of us. Rob and I both work at the same place and we managed to coordinate our schedules at the last minute to take this trip. We both had to work on Saturday. Rob got off at 9pm and I had to work until 12:30am. I tried to get out earlier so we could get this drive started, but it didn't work out. So, Rob was able to catch a little nap and then when I got home at 1am we loaded up the car and off we went! We were on the road at 1:30am. It's going to be a long drive.

Starting the drive at 1am might sound terrible, but it actually worked out well. I found that start time easier than our 6pm start time. We hit the Baltimore/DC area during the lowest traffic time possible and then we had daylight during the boring North Carolina/South Carolina part of the drive.

We made a pit stop in North Carolina and grabbed a quick breakfast at the worst quick breakfast stop possible. Good ol' McDonalds. Spoiler alert: I am NOT lovin' it. :lmao:

Rob had two bacon, egg and cheese bagels and I had one.

Ewwwww. I never eat at McDonalds and there is a reason for that. Did you know there is a sauce on this? It was so gross I couldn't even eat it. So, Rob ended up eating THREE bacon, egg and cheese bagels. :lmao:

Never fear. There is MUCH better food to come. :thumbsup2

We finally reached our destination of Caribbean Beach Resort at 3:30pm. Check in was a breeze and before we knew it, we were making our way to our home for the next 8 nights. Aruba, Building 52.

It's good to be home!

Yay, you've started. I have to admit that McDonalds breakfast is my guilty pleasure - but we have bacon and egg McMuffin (not bagel) which I quite like. There is no sauce on it though - that is just wrong. Sorry you didn't enjoy your first meal of the trip. It can only get better though, right? ;)

We made it to our room to see this little beauty.

Love it!

After some unpacking and showers we were ready to get this trip started! We grabbed a bus to Epcot and after a ride on Spaceship Earth we made our way back to our first restaurant of the trip.

This would be our first time dining at La Hacienda de san Angel and I was very excited about trying it.

Our reservations weren't until 8pm, but we were hungry now. We asked if there was any chance of getting a table now and they said that would be no problem. Here's where my one issue of the trip comes in. I asked if we would be charged as a no show for the 8pm reservation, since we were now eating there around 5:45pm and the hostess said no and not to worry. We would still be marked as showing up, even though it was for an earlier time. Well, a few days later I'm looking at my credit card info online and lo and behold, a $20 charge from Disney dining for that date. I was not happy. I had to sit on hold with Disney Dining for 45 minutes, only to be given a different number to contact to clear the charge up. The woman in billing took care of it and was very nice, but it was our only source of trouble this trip. Rob was really annoyed by the situation as well. In case anyone else ever has this issue, the number for the billing department is (407)828-5630. I will definitely keep that number handy now for any future troubles.

After checking in with the hostess outside we waited in the lobby for our name to be called. Loved the lighting fixtures in here.

After about 10 minutes we were seated along the back wall in a cozy booth. I really loved our seating here. I think sitting back here would still be a great view during Illuminations.

These lighting fixtures were gorgeous too.

I'm ready for a margarita!

I stared with a Mango Blueberry Basil Margarita. Coconut rum, tequila, orange juice, mango puree, blueberries and basil served on the rocks with a Tajin chili powder rim.

This was delicious! The chili powder on the rim provided a nice little kick to balance out the sweetness of the drink.

Rob ended up having two glasses of red wine as well, although I forgot to snap a photo. He did enjoy the wine though.

Our waiter also brought us chips with a mild green salsa and a red salsa with a little heat to it.

The chips were the same as you would get in San Angel Inn, which I really like. Good start!

For entrees Rob got Costillas en salsa de Chile. Braised short ribs, served with potato puree and chile de arbol sauce.

He liked this dish, but wasn't really wowed by it.

I had Tacos de Camarones. Fried shrimp, chipotle-lime aioli, cabbage, lime and salsa verde, all served over flour tortillas served fresh homemade corn tortillas and rice.

These were the same shrimp tacos you could get at F&W last year, which I really loved. They were just as enjoyable. A little too much red cabbage, but that's easy enough to pick off and the chipotle-lime aioli gave it some nice heat. There were a decent amount of shrimp on each taco and the limes they gave you to squeeze on them gave it even more great flavor.

Our dishes came with large bowls of beans and rice to share.

I LOVE the black beans here! They are so delicious. We totally destroyed the bowl of beans.

I really wanted to try dessert here, but I was full. I couldn't eat another bite.

Overall I really enjoyed our meal here. Loved the atmosphere and our server was great. The food was yummy, but a bit expensive for what it is. There's also not a ton of choices. That's the case with a lot of Disney restaurants, but it just seemed a little more glaring here. Another issue I have here is no acceptance of TiW. We booked it for this day because it was Mother's Day, which is a blackout date for TiW, so we figured that since we wouldn't be able to use it anywhere we might as well eat here tonight since I knew we wouldn't any other time because of the non-acceptance of TiW.
Our total for 1 margarita, 2 glasses of wine and 2 entrees was over $100 including tip. It was our most expensive meal of the trip since we couldn't use TiW here. Ouch!

I'm glad we ate here to try it out, but I would honestly be just as happy eating at the outdoor counter service section in the future. Their tacos are just as yummy and less than half the price!

Up next... A French Treat!

Yay, you've started. I have to admit that McDonalds breakfast is my guilty pleasure - but we have bacon and egg McMuffin (not bagel) which I quite like. There is no sauce on it though - that is just wrong. Sorry you didn't enjoy your first meal of the trip. It can only get better though, right? ;)

McDonald's breakfast is Rob's guilty pleasure too. :laughing: I'm not a fan. I don't ever recall the bagels having that sauce before. It certainly wasn't in the description. It was so nasty too. It was definitely gets better from here! :thumbsup2

Ouch! That $20 no show charge sucks! Glad you got it sorted, albeit that it took time.

La Hacienda is probably one of the restaurants we'll never eat at (for the two reasons you mentioned - no TIW, limited choices). I have to admit, though, that your shrimp tacos do look delicious. But over $100 for 2 entrees and a couple of alcoholic drinks - yowzer!

I really don't blame you on the Mcdonalds thing. DH and I swore off it when dd was born and we realized that the smell of poopy diapers and the smell of Mcdonalds food are one and the same. (Your welcome for that visual!:lmao:)

I just squealed with excitement to see you had started the report..yayy! popcorn::

Your drive down seemed like insanely good timing...if I didn't have two little ones I would prob bypass flying and just haul it down there like you guys do. Kudos to you for driving through the night and heading straight into a park! That's totally awesome!

Onto the good stuff...McDonalds breakie=ehhhh only in dire emergencies lol :sick: The Mango Blueberry Margarita looks delish...I think they serve one at the pool bar at Coronado Springs and I am dying to try one in the fall!!! The shrimp tacos look sooo yummy....I think they are similar or the same as the ones served on the 3 course dinner special at San Angel Inn (which I have an ADR for so I will have to try them). The rice and beans also look really good...I am such a sucker for good refried beans, I literally could make an entire meal out of those alone!

That stinks about the mishap with the charge and you losing almost an hour of valuable Disney time. :( I would be quite upset as well! Also, the Hacienda bill is quite expensive for what you got but its Disney after all lol. I am so relieved to be getting the Free Dining promo for the fall, I have never been lucky to get it yet so it takes some of the spending guilt away (more money for Disney Dooney's and Vera's :rotfl: )

Your report is off to a great start!!! I usually don't comment this much or in depth but since you are a friend in real life...I prob will be an active commenter! :cool1: Can't wait to read more!!!

Alright folks, let's kick this DR off!

We were set to check into CBR on Sunday May 11, but first we had a very long drive ahead of us. Rob and I both work at the same place and we managed to coordinate our schedules at the last minute to take this trip. We both had to work on Saturday. Rob got off at 9pm and I had to work until 12:30am. I tried to get out earlier so we could get this drive started, but it didn't work out. So, Rob was able to catch a little nap and then when I got home at 1am we loaded up the car and off we went! We were on the road at 1:30am. It's going to be a long drive.

We finally reached our destination of Caribbean Beach Resort at 3:30pm. Check in was a breeze and before we knew it, we were making our way to our home for the next 8 nights. Aruba, Building 52.

It's good to be home!

I am enjoying reading your dining review...but my jaw dropped when I read that you left South Jersey at 1:30am and got to WDW at 3:30 pm the next day AND you stopped for breakfast! So you got to Disney in 13 hours. That is insane. I live in NJ and I thought it was a 17 hour drive. Where exactly in Jersey do you live? Could you PM me the route that you take!!!

I am enjoying reading your dining review...but my jaw dropped when I read that you left South Jersey at 1:30am and got to WDW at 3:30 pm the next day AND you stopped for breakfast! So you got to Disney in 13 hours. That is insane. I live in NJ and I thought it was a 17 hour drive. Where exactly in Jersey do you live? Could you PM me the route that you take!!!

I'm not the OP but we drive from south jersey. About 10 minutes from Philly. It takes us 14 1/2 hours with stops and two kids. We leave around 4 am and stop for breakfast, lunch and bathroom breaks. I bet if we didn't have kids it'd be quicker. We take 95 straight through.

I tasted the shrimp tacos during F&W last year, and while they were good, they really didn't stand out as a must-have for me. It seemed kind of bland to me, but maybe if I ordered it at the restaurant, I'd have been able to throw some salsa on there for that spiciness I wanted.

The decor looks so nice, and you can't beat those views, but for some reason, it always gets cancelled and replaced with another WS restaurant.

Those short ribs do look good, though! I've started ordering short ribs out a lot more and they're becoming one of my favorites!

Can't wait to follow along with you!

Wonderful start ... Those black beans look good, and good black beans are so yummy. I've noted that number if we run into a mishap ( thanks for that, you never know if it may be needed )

Hi Jeri,
I'm excited to read your report! How long of a drive do you have? Do you know how long it would take you to get to Connecticut? I would like to try driving some time. Do you have pictures of your hotel room? Also which is your favorite moderate hotel? Your dinner did seem rather high$. We ate ate ESPN burgers because we eat simply because of the boys being picky and the burgers were awesome! We ate there twice our last trip. I actually was trying not to go there but now I'm glad we did and will return again. Have you guys ever ate there? Alicia

OMG....yummy looking margarita! Your tacos looked pretty amazing too! We've never ate at Hacienda either but will have to put it on our list of to do's. I'm so glad you started you got to start the report, but sad you had to return back to reality!!!

The tacos look good! Can't wait to read your report!

Hi there! :wave2: The tacos were definitely yummy. Pricey, but tasty. More updates coming up this weekend hopefully!

Ouch! That $20 no show charge sucks! Glad you got it sorted, albeit that it took time.

La Hacienda is probably one of the restaurants we'll never eat at (for the two reasons you mentioned - no TIW, limited choices). I have to admit, though, that your shrimp tacos do look delicious. But over $100 for 2 entrees and a couple of alcoholic drinks - yowzer!

Yeah that $20 fee is no bueno. It happened to us once before a few years ago, but it was my fault for not canceling in enough time, so I took it on the chin, but this time I was not paying. I specifically asked the girl and she said no charge. Very frustrating.

Rob was very disappointed by the choices there and for me I don't know what I would want for an entree outside of the shrimp tacos. The appetizers looked appealing though. I only recently realized that they don't accept TiW there, so we almost just cancled the ressie outright, but since there was the blackout date that day we just stuck to it. Disney needs more Mexican food options. We almost went off sight one night just because I was craving tacos so badly. :laughing:

I really don't blame you on the Mcdonalds thing. DH and I swore off it when dd was born and we realized that the smell of poopy diapers and the smell of Mcdonalds food are one and the same. (Your welcome for that visual!:lmao:)

:lmao: That's okay. Their food is so nasty I pretty much associate it with poopy diapers anyway.

I just squealed with excitement to see you had started the report..yayy! popcorn::

Your drive down seemed like insanely good timing...if I didn't have two little ones I would prob bypass flying and just haul it down there like you guys do. Kudos to you for driving through the night and heading straight into a park! That's totally awesome!

Onto the good stuff...McDonalds breakie=ehhhh only in dire emergencies lol :sick: The Mango Blueberry Margarita looks delish...I think they serve one at the pool bar at Coronado Springs and I am dying to try one in the fall!!! The shrimp tacos look sooo yummy....I think they are similar or the same as the ones served on the 3 course dinner special at San Angel Inn (which I have an ADR for so I will have to try them). The rice and beans also look really good...I am such a sucker for good refried beans, I literally could make an entire meal out of those alone!

That stinks about the mishap with the charge and you losing almost an hour of valuable Disney time. :( I would be quite upset as well! Also, the Hacienda bill is quite expensive for what you got but its Disney after all lol. I am so relieved to be getting the Free Dining promo for the fall, I have never been lucky to get it yet so it takes some of the spending guilt away (more money for Disney Dooney's and Vera's :rotfl: )

Your report is off to a great start!!! I usually don't comment this much or in depth but since you are a friend in real life...I prob will be an active commenter! :cool1: Can't wait to read more!!!

We always say that we are going to nap before we go into the park, but that never happens. It's like that old Disney World commercial where the little kid says, "I'm too excited to sleep!" I can't imagine making the drive with kids though. It's mentally grueling enough as it is. We took my little brother with us one time and he literally slept THE ENTIRE DRIVE. He woke up as we were pulling off I4. So sometimes it works out with kids too I guess.

The margarita was awesome! Highly recommend! I really like San Angel Inn. In fact, I kept pushing to eat there this trip, but Rob wasn't interested. Hopefully you get to try a shrimp taco there too.

I was able to stay calm about the $20 charge, but Rob was heated. We work in a call center and I think he was taking that long hold time very personally since people gripe at us for being on hold for more than 30 seconds. Disney needs to hire more people to man those phones because 30+ minutes on hold is ridiculous.

I'll tell you, I never really thought about prices as much until these past couple of trips. The prices for food are so outrageous sometimes. There are times I can deal with it and times I just can't. Free dining is such a great offer. We utilized it a few times, but then we've been using DVC more and more over the past 5 years, so unfortunately we can't take advantage of that too.

I'm glad you're commenting! Always great to chat with friends on here! :goodvibes

I'm not the OP but we drive from south jersey. About 10 minutes from Philly. It takes us 14 1/2 hours with stops and two kids. We leave around 4 am and stop for breakfast, lunch and bathroom breaks. I bet if we didn't have kids it'd be quicker. We take 95 straight through.

Exactly what mi vida loca said. 95 all the way! I am right by Delaware Memorial Bridge, so once I'm over the bridge I just hop on 95 and take it straight to sunny Florida. It's 95 most of the way until you reach I4 which you're only on for 60-70 miles I believe.

Our stops are usually pretty fast. Only twice have we ever stopped at a restaurant as opposed to fast food stops. When Rob drives we get there fast too because he drives like a maniac. :laughing: When I do some of the driving it takes a little longer.

And now I want some shrimp tacos.... ;)

Great report so far, bring on MORE!!!

:thumbsup2 I could go for some too! I did have tacos today actually, but not with yummy shrimp.

I tasted the shrimp tacos during F&W last year, and while they were good, they really didn't stand out as a must-have for me. It seemed kind of bland to me, but maybe if I ordered it at the restaurant, I'd have been able to throw some salsa on there for that spiciness I wanted.

The decor looks so nice, and you can't beat those views, but for some reason, it always gets cancelled and replaced with another WS restaurant.

Those short ribs do look good, though! I've started ordering short ribs out a lot more and they're becoming one of my favorites!

Can't wait to follow along with you!

What's funny is that they didn't stand out much for me either at F&W, but I liked them enough to have them here and I enjoyed them more. Maybe it was because I got to sit and relax with them and had all the sides to enhance it as well.

It was always the same case for me too. Always pushed aside for something else. It would be nice to eat here during Illuminations. That was the original plan with the 8pm ressie, but our hunger won out over fireworks. :laughing:

I also find that I really enjoy short ribs now. I have had some great ones in WDW.

Wonderful start ... Those black beans look good, and good black beans are so yummy. I've noted that number if we run into a mishap ( thanks for that, you never know if it may be needed )

You are definitely right about that, good black beans are so very very good. :thumbsup2There is a restaurant near me that makes stellar black beans as well.

I am definitely keeping that number handy too. Hopefully you don't need it, but like you said, you never know. I did such a massive search for that number when our wait time turned so long on the phone since I didn't want to sit on hold with Disney Dining if I wasn't even calling the right place. Google and this site both told me to talk to billing but I couldn't find the number for it. The billing number is really the best kept secret in Disney World. :laughing:

Hi Jeri,
I'm excited to read your report! How long of a drive do you have? Do you know how long it would take you to get to Connecticut? I would like to try driving some time. Do you have pictures of your hotel room? Also which is your favorite moderate hotel? Your dinner did seem rather high$. We ate ate ESPN burgers because we eat simply because of the boys being picky and the burgers were awesome! We ate there twice our last trip. I actually was trying not to go there but now I'm glad we did and will return again. Have you guys ever ate there? Alicia

Hey Alicia! Our drive is usually about 14-15 hours depending on the circumstances. It was slightly shorter this time because our timing was great with not hitting high traffic areas during certain times of the day. Never driven to Connecticut before. I think it takes about 5 1/2 to 6 hours when we drive to Boston, so I would guess Connecticut would maybe be somewhere around 4 hours for me.

I actually didn't really get any pics of the room. We tend to make a mess of the room instantly before I ever get a good pic. And by 'we' I mean Rob. :laughing: I do have a few nice shots around the resort I can definitely post. I love them all to be honest. I didn't spend a ton of time in Coronado, but it seemed really nice there on my one night stay a few years ago. CBR has a wonderful overall feel and is very beautiful. I've stayed there the most. This was my fifth time there. I associate so many great memories with that resort. POFQ was also wonderful. I really loved it there too. Didn't stay at POR, but I visited the resort area a few times while staying at POFQ and it was lovely too. Great food options at both PO resorts too.

We actually have done ESPN a few times. We ate there quite a few times during our honeymoon because we were staying at Boardwalk and we wanted to see a big Eagles game and the Phillies were in the playoffs, so it was a blast to watch the games there with a ton of other Phillies fans. We definitely enjoy the food there! I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your meals there!

cant wait for more

Thanks for joining in! Hopefully I can fit in an update or two this weekend. :thumbsup2

OMG....yummy looking margarita! Your tacos looked pretty amazing too! We've never ate at Hacienda either but will have to put it on our list of to do's. I'm so glad you started you got to start the report, but sad you had to return back to reality!!!

I would definitely recommend La Hacienda! It had a few drawbacks, but overall I really enjoyed our meal there. A good margarita is worth a lot too! I was so sad to return too. We were very whiny on the car ride home. :lmao:

After dinner we decided to make a loop around WS and walk off our food. Well, we maybe walked off the drinks at least. :laughing: On our way arond we decided to make a stop at Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles for a sweet treat.

Check out this lovely display at the entry to the patisserie.

A few shots of the display cases.

We picked out our treats and had them boxed up. The plan was to enjoy these back in the room while watching Game of Thrones on HBO GO. We didn't make it up long enough to watch our show, but we still managed to partake in our sweets.

Rob had the same item he tried back in October. Duo Au Chocolate, white and dark chocolate mousse cake.

It got a little banged up on the journey back, but he still very much enjoyed this. He said it was very rich and delicious.

I tried the Mousse au Chocolate.

This was pretty good. It didn't blow me away but it was not too rich, which was nice. I liked the little crunchies on top for some added texture.

Oh yeah, and on the way out of the park I also got the real treat of the trip. A Disney Vera!

:love: I was so thrilled to finally get my paws on one this trip after searching endlessly for one back in October. Thank you Mouse Gears! Got my Disney Visa discount here too which made it even better.

Day 1 is in the books and it was a great start! And I forgot to mention that the weather was BEAUTIFUL! Perfect mild temperature outside, bright sunshine and clear blue skies. It was the perfect welcome to Florida!

Up next, my absolute favorite day of the trip! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter