May 18, 2013 MAGIC EBTA - Who is with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so now I feel really stupid - what I "read" on the first post was they started counting bookings toward your level! DUH! (I actually read it as DCL Bookings!)

Sorry to all concerned and I feel like such an idiot!
Guess I have to either 1) stop reading posts from my phone app or 2) Start wearing my granny glasses so I can see what I'm reading!

I get confused all the time. Especially when I have to read 5 pages to get caught up.

I wish they would put on a proper adultstyle ball evening on the top deck. How hard would it be? Band, food, put out some fairy lights and what have you, and let us enjoy dancing under the stars! Or maybe it'd be too cold?

That would be so much fun.

ME!! :cheer2: I was thrilled when I finally made it to Key West! It was just for the day and I hope to get back there soon.

Loved Key West and have always wanted to go back. On the bucket list!

Maybe we could do this ourselves - well maybe not the band - but an mp3 player, on one of the formal/semi-formal nights :)

YES!

This time I have promised DH John only two bags each since we spent 600 Euros last time flying from Barcelona to Frankfurt on Air Berlin.

Are you taking bets on it ;)

We haven't had the "cute shoe" discussion on this EBTA thread like we had on our WBTA thread, Noel! What was the record number of pairs shoes someone brought on WBTA, like 13 or 15?

We are going to try to get by with 2-3 pairs of shoes each and one checked bag each.

Still super happy you two are onboard again! I still have my pink boa to buy!!

Major Parrot Head. What Dis activities might that be? Fins to the left and fins to the right? :rotfl2: I try to stop into every Maugaritaville store (and bar) I happen to be near. A nice selection of oversized T's in just about every one. I met Jimmy in the bar at the Key West store. We ordered chilli dogs from acrross the street and had a couple beers. Just celebrating having the same first name he said, :cool1: Of course could have been that it was a hot day and the beer was ice cold.

Awesome!! That is such a cool story on meeting Jimmy.

My dream concert to attend would be one on my beloved St John. He has done a private concert at the Westin there before (a company retreat had rented out the resort) but from what people said, lots of people arrived in dinghies in the bay to listen. Ahhhh, I could only imagine.

Have you ever been to one of his concerts in Vegas? It's like the entire strip is wearing coconut bras and grass skirts.

Hubby has already traded off the day we think he might be having a concert near us this spring (just in case.... going off the rumors) Amazed he got a weekend day traded off so quickly. I think he just knew I would go either way with or without him :rotfl2:

Target had some cute PJs for the tween girls and adults on clearance last night when I was there!!! I was there stocking up on household items (I Love those Sales) a sick addiction I have...anyway, a few cruise items ended up in my cart and low and behold $300 later I was leaving Target! :scared1::rolleyes1

We now have enough toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, dishwashing tablets etc for a year. :laughing:

I have plans to hit Target later today to pick up a few things. I'm sure my final bill will be similar. I also make a point to always pick up a $50 Disney gift card to apply to my on board account using my Target Red Debit card I get 5% off. :goodvibes

Lol - aww I love following DB round, especially at night and at sunrise. It's kinda of our thing now :)

And also, it's SO much easier to bribe him to book lots of holidays and city breaks because I just get him to look at other photos on Flickr of the place and he's like let's go! :)

Personally I love to travel to new places, so much stuff to photograph and see ;)

Haha - lets not start that this early before the cruise :P

Ditto, we have enjoyed looking through your beautiful pics - you have a real talent!

Never to early to start that ;) LOL but nah the brand of the camera is unimportant, the best camera you have is the one that you have with you.

It's just matter of using what you have and knowing the limitations. It's what you have between the ears that counts not the camera. But of course a good camera can help in poor conditions.

Thank you for the kind words on my photography. I enjoy it a lot, to go out and make pictures.

Cool, Mark is looking forward to it all. I may get him to sign up on it. He loves Scott Kelby - he's halfway through his Photoshop CS6 book at the moment, and thinking about doing his online photography classes. Will have to check out this worldwide photo walk - thanks!

The worldwide photo walks are fun, to know that at the same day there are 10'ths of thousands of photographers out capturing great photos.

I'm a big fan of Scott Kelby. If he not checked out Kelbytraining.com he should (I got some 24hrs free passes to the site if he or anyone else is interested, there are loads of great video courses up there by some awesome photographers like Lindsey Adler, Mooose Petersen, Peter Hurley, Rick Sammon, Tim Wallace and of course Scott himself to just mention some of the many instructors they have. Not all courses are about taking photos but also courses in how to use Photoshop (by for example Lesa Snider, love that gal) and Lightroom.

So a photowalk on the ship would be something I'm up to and if needed I'm willing to be the "walk leader".

MandyGirl said:
It wasn't out at 2:00 central time yesterday. I was on the phone with DCL handling some client reservations and still checking online. The just appeared later in the day. Never know when DCL will throw those out!

We are not sure what to do now - we would obviously lose our deposit but still get £200 back. Or pay an extra £220 for a ocean view - but not sure if that's worth it? Hmmmmm need to get thinking :)

EjeG said:
Personally I love to travel to new places, so much stuff to photograph and see ;)

We loved going away before but since getting a SLR, we love it even more so. Get a real buzz going to new places and photographing them :)

Tink1987 said:
We are not sure what to do now - we would obviously lose our deposit but still get £200 back. Or pay an extra £220 for a ocean view - but not sure if that's worth it? Hmmmmm need to get thinking :)

We're going to cancel our 11C GTY and rebook the OGT rate. I think the £220 extra for a window is still worth it - it's not like we had a particular room # anyway. For a shorter cruise it might not be worth it, but for 14 nights, it definitely is (to us anyway) :)

BigHugsForEeyore said:
We're going to cancel our 11C GTY and rebook the OGT rate. I think the £220 extra for a window is still worth it - it's not like we had a particular room # anyway. For a shorter cruise it might not be worth it, but for 14 nights, it definitely is (to us anyway) :)

I think we are a bit more hesitant to rebook because we had a actual room number - we had read reviews online and it seemed a good room - I'm sure we will be deliberating for the rest of the weekend at least lol :)

Okay, cruise booking changed! They were able to move our 11C GTY to an OGT without any problems. They transferred the money over to the new booking and I just had to pay the price difference of £27.56! They were also able to transfer our Palo brunch and two excursions over too :goodvibes

Okay, cruise booking changed! They were able to move our 11C GTY to an OGT without any problems. They transferred the money over to the new booking and I just had to pay the price difference of £27.56! They were also able to transfer our Palo brunch and two excursions over too :goodvibes
Did you lose your deposit or did they just transfer everything?

Congrats! :thumbsup2

Awesome!! That is such a cool story on meeting Jimmy.

My dream concert to attend would be one on my beloved St John. He has done a private concert at the Westin there before (a company retreat had rented out the resort) but from what people said, lots of people arrived in dinghies in the bay to listen. Ahhhh, I could only imagine.

Have you ever been to one of his concerts in Vegas? It's like the entire strip is wearing coconut bras and grass skirts.

Hubby has already traded off the day we think he might be having a concert near us this spring (just in case.... going off the rumors) Amazed he got a weekend day traded off so quickly. I think he just knew I would go either way with or without him :rotfl2:

Never in Las Vegas, Although bringing a party guy to THE party town sounds like a good time. I have seen him twice in DC the last couple of years. Years ago I saw hime 4 straight years in Jacksonville, FL where I grew up.

My youngest son is the catering manager at one of the Vegas hotels, I have sent him an e-mail suggesting that a visit might be in order if Jimmy was ever in town.:cool2:

Never in Las Vegas, Although bringing a party guy to THE party town sounds like a good time. I have seen him twice in DC the last couple of years. Years ago I saw hime 4 straight years in Jacksonville, FL where I grew up.

My youngest son is the catering manager at one of the Vegas hotels, I have sent him an e-mail suggesting that a visit might be in order if Jimmy was ever in town.:cool2:

You need to do that for sure. He performs at MGM Arena but lots of things going on elsewhere, especially at Margaritaville at the Flamingo. It was a hoot! Definitely do that. No other concerts are showing up on his tours, but I think last year was October as well. Usually two different weekends.

In fact... for Pirate Night on my Magic cruise in November, it was actually election night. I wore a tshirt I have for my pirate costume that is essentially the "Pirate Looks at Forty" tshirt. The front said "Put a REAL Pirate In Office... Jimmy Buffett for President". It was perfect since it was Pirate Night *and* election night! :)

We lost the 10% deposit, but even after the deposit was taken off, it was still only £27.56 more (and the loss of the OBC).
Thank you! And congrats pixiedust:

I'm figuring that with our Disney Air it will cancel that out. But I'm very pleased that some of you will be able to take advantage of it :cool1:

Hey everybody, just wanted to pass on some info re: weight loss. I saw the posts on FB. There is huge evidence that poor sleep is very much related to weight. Here is part of an article I copied and pasted from APA (I did the bolding):

The cardiometabolic trap
Subsequent studies have confirmed the effects of partial sleep loss on hormone regulation and have led to a burgeoning of research on the role of sleep in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — a tangled triumvirate of sickness and mortality that are key elements of what researchers sometimes refer to as cardiometabolic disease. In a 2012 article published in the American Journal of Human Biology, UC biomedical anthropologist Kristen Knutson, PhD, reviewed research on sleep and cardiometabolic health and concluded that sleep restriction leads to "substantial and clinically significant changes in appetite regulation, hunger, food intake, glucose metabolism and blood pressure control." Knutson also found a significant association between short sleep duration (less than six hours per night, in most studies) and either more obesity or a higher body mass index. Adolescents and children showed a stronger association, suggesting they may be especially vulnerable to the effects of lost sleep.
One way in which lack of sleep may thwart cardiometabolic health is by skewing people's dietary choices. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by a large multicenter team, healthy men and women who were restricted to just four hours of sleep per night over six nights took in significantly more calories, particularly from fat, than their well-rested counterparts — and they didn't make up for it by burning more energy.
Another study, conducted by Arlet Nedeltcheva, MD, and colleagues at UC and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2009, found that adults who were allowed to sleep only 5.5 hours per night for two weeks indulged in more snacks than their counterparts who enjoyed 8.5 hours of sleep each night. Likewise, in a 2012 yet-to-be-published study that drew on data from the CDC's 2007–08 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Knutson, Grandner and colleagues mapped dietary patterns to sleep complaints including difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, non-restorative sleep and daytime sleepiness. Every complaint, they found, was significantly associated with greater total caloric intake.
In a 2012 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a team of UC researchers uncovered a molecular clue to how lack of sleep might promote diabetes: Fat cells in people who don't get enough sleep have a 30 percent reduced ability to respond to insulin. Fortunately, the biochemical processes that sleep loss sets in motion may reversible, at least if skipping sleep doesn't become a lifelong habit. In September, psychologist Karen Matthews, PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh, reported in SLEEP that if teens who normally got six hours of sleep per night were allowed just one extra hour of sleep, their insulin resistance improved by 9 percent.

So if you are trying to lose weight for the cruise, make sure you get good sleep (which is literally supposed to be 8 hours)!

Good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter