Marathon Weekend 2016

I am on the fence about signing up for the full. I've been going back and forth since registration opened! This would be my first full marathon (I've run 3 half marathons). Question for those of you who have run this event before... How did it work having your extra long training runs in December during the busy Christmas season? I live in Maine, so there is a good chance I would be doing December long runs on a treadmill. Any thoughts on feasibility of marathon training in December for a mom of 3 who works full time?

Personally I love these runs because I get to train through the holiday season. I also work full time, coach basketball and have 2 children, but these runs afford me some great "me" time during the most hectic part of the year. I do have family local and have occasionally requested some childcare assistance or a visitor pass to one of their gyms when the weather is bad, but otherwise I love logging my long runs through December. It's way better than training through the summer here Northern Virginia!
I say Go For It!!

I am on the fence about signing up for the full. I've been going back and forth since registration opened! This would be my first full marathon (I've run 3 half marathons). Question for those of you who have run this event before... How did it work having your extra long training runs in December during the busy Christmas season? I live in Maine, so there is a good chance I would be doing December long runs on a treadmill. Any thoughts on feasibility of marathon training in December for a mom of 3 who works full time?

I am also running my first marathon. I also have 3 kids and work full time. I am turning 40 next week and decided it's time to push myself out of my comfort zone. My friends talked me into signing up for the full back in May and I have somehow managed to get all of my planned training in so far. I know it's going to continue to get harder from here on out, and I'm not sure how December is going to go, but I'll figure it out. So I say, YES, DO IT! If you have the support of your family and friends, go for it!

BTW, I loathe the treadmill and refuse to run more than 3 miles on a treadmill, so I'm really hoping that the predictions of a mild winter are true! :)

I will be staying the the Contemporary (Bay lake tower) and will have my toddler with me, so really will not be out and about until after 7am likely, so start line is not in the cards.
I think that late of a start will pretty well kill seeing your runner at MK. Let's assume a mid-pack start time of 6am and a mid-pack pace of 10:30/mile... your runner would be entering the MK just before 7am. Now if the runner's a little slower, and/or you can get out a little earlier, this might work. I'd skip the monorail, which will be busy, and walk from BLT

However...

And finally our other idea is to take kiddo to DHS since it is EMH morning and we will watch some of the kiddie shows and maybe try to see our runner go through DHS. When do you think the mid-packers may start running through DHS?
I LOVE this idea! I've cheered the full at DHS and it's a great experience: not real crowded, so you can really see the runners coming through, and it's at a point where the runners really, really need and appreciate the support. Assuming the same info as above, your runner might go through DHS around 9:45-10:15. You'll get a much more accurate idea of timing with the runner's expected pace and corral info as we get closer.

I've also cheered the full from the Beach Club and inside EP, both great spots for cheerers and runners, too, but pretty boring for a little one. Actually, it was pretty boring for my not-so-little one at age 12, too lol! ;)

Thanks for the "cheering" location tips. I think the point about once we know their corral position, that will help figure out the rest of it, etc. I am liking the DHS idea more and more. I think I will go ahead and not make any morning or lunch reservations for dining so we can just go with the flow that day. I'll alert people to where I think i will be in case anyone needs a high five/hug/really loud cheer/dance break, etc from me.

How annoying would it be if I held up a "dance break" sign (even just for a little bit)? Think anyone would dance with me?

How annoying would it be if I held up a "dance break" sign (even just for a little bit)? Think anyone would dance with me?

YES! DO IT!
I will admit, I don't have any personal experience (the only Disney race I've done was a 5K in the freezing cold, so no fans), but ... I really get the impression that a lot of Disney runners love interacting with the spectators. I think people will definitely stop to dance and will really appreciate it!

Thanks for the "cheering" location tips. I think the point about once we know their corral position, that will help figure out the rest of it, etc. I am liking the DHS idea more and more. I think I will go ahead and not make any morning or lunch reservations for dining so we can just go with the flow that day. I'll alert people to where I think i will be in case anyone needs a high five/hug/really loud cheer/dance break, etc from me.

Just let us know where you will be and we'll come and dance,I love all the crazy signs spectators put up,it's a big part of what makes these races fun.

awesome spectating info...that's one thing the fam and I have been wondering about as well, I would put myself in the mid pack range also and I'm thinking that a 10 - 10:30/mile pace should be pretty doable for me, Ill know more so as training goes along but I think I can maintain that pace through out the full with out to much trouble. I think our current plan is for DW to go with me to the start and then maybe see me a couple times along the course and then meet the rest of the family at the finish.

that would be awesome and I would totally stop at least for a second, while I will have family and friends there any extra support will be much appreciated as I know Ill need it especially in the later miles and I already feel like this group is friends now anyway lol

Oh, gosh - now something else for me to stress over! Spectating!

I'm not-so-much worried about the 5 & 10Ks as my mom and husband will be running those with me. My best girlfriends come in Friday before the Half, so I think as part of their Christmas presents I'm going to get them the ChEar package for the Half/Full.

The Half is the "alone" race I'm the least worried about, so I'm just going to be excited to see them at the start and again at the finish.

The Full is the race - "alone" or not - that I'm the most worried about.

I *think* the plan is going to be for my husband, my parents and my three best girlfriends to go to the start with me and see me go off, and then jump over to their ChEar spot section at MK (if the course is similar to this year). From there, my Mom and the girls will try to hit as many of the Viewspots while my Dad will coordinate with all of my local friends on what non-park viewspots they'll hit, while he'll try to get close to the course with his car before we hit ESPN ... with ... my dogs. I think, even if I could just see those furry silly guys hanging out of a car window at Mile 15 or so, that would give me such a boost.

After that? I'm torn. I would love to see my husband and bestie around Mile 24 ... maybe even have them hand me a beer, but then I'm worried that they won't be able to get to the finish line in time to see me finish.

Guh. Now this is going to keep me up at night.

Hi, guys!

It's been a while, and I just wanted to say that this is the best pool of Disers ever!

Is everybody excited for January?
party:

So excited! January sounds really far off, but it will get here sooner than we think; and yeah for that! Nice to see you on the thread again.

After that? I'm torn. I would love to see my husband and bestie around Mile 24 ... maybe even have them hand me a beer, but then I'm worried that they won't be able to get to the finish line in time to see me finish.

If they hoof it, they'll be able to make it. The walk from BW/BC to the finish is a bit shorter than the run to the finish, so they could get there depending on how fast they walk compared with how fast you'll be running. You need to decide which is more important, seeing them at mile 24 when you'll more than likely need some encouragement and a mental boost, or seeing them at the finish when you can high five them as you run by to the line. Personally, I'd opt for mile 24. They'll be right there on the course so you can stop and talk and hug and all that. The finish is barricaded so you won't have the same access to them, and once you cross the line, you won't see them until after bag check anyway.

Has anyone used the Yasso 800's for a race time predictor? If so, how accurate was it for you? For those who are not familiar with the Yasso 800's, it is a series of runs performed over the course of your training plan in which you start out running 4x800 meters. You jog/recover the same amount of time it took you to run the 800 meters. Each week you add another 800m to the run until you get to 10. The idea is the average (I think) time it take you to run the 10x800 meters = your marathon time. So if you average 4:00 minutes/800m = 4:00:00 marathon. Sounds like a good way to get some speed work in and a interesting theory.

Has anyone used the Yasso 800's for a race time predictor? If so, how accurate was it for you? For those who are not familiar with the Yasso 800's, it is a series of runs performed over the course of your training plan in which you start out running 4x800 meters. You jog/recover the same amount of time it took you to run the 800 meters. Each week you add another 800m to the run until you get to 10. The idea is the average (I think) time it take you to run the 10x800 meters = your marathon time. So if you average 4:00 minutes/800m = 4:00:00 marathon. Sounds like a good way to get some speed work in and a interesting theory.

I didn't do an actual Yasso 800 plan, but I was doing 800's during my last training cycle (got up to 8 x 800). Although my times were probably reflective of what I could potentially do, I wasn't taking into account my overall training volume. In reality I wasn't putting in enough miles for the pace I was getting from the 800's. Long story short, I bonked and cramped out around Mile 23.

I think if you utilize them for a race time predictor you should also look at all aspects of your training. It's probably a good idea to mix in actual shorter distance races (10k and Half) which will also give an accurate reflection of your fitness level...just my .02 cents.

I need some hotel advice...I need to select hotels that came with my Dopey bib and since I've NEVER stayed on Disney property I was trying to figure out if I should spend a little extra, or maybe break up the stay over a couple of properties. I have the following choices from the travel agent:

POP $124
Caribbean Beach Resort $200
Port Orleans $212

The other (Beach CLub) were too expensive at $392. I will probably stay in Florida from Jan 5th through the 17th and was thinking of staying on site at least from 5th to 12th. How is POP as a hotel? I'm a loser so no wife/kids, but my Mom will be with me but we don't have great needs for hotels or kid activities. I guess I'm just leaning at POP since I just need a place to sleep, but was wondering if I should break it up over two hotels - thought the logistics of doing that will probably not workout since don't want to move in between races. Any suggestions? I think I'm talking myself in just doing POP and be done with it.

I need some hotel advice...I need to select hotels that came with my Dopey bib and since I've NEVER stayed on Disney property I was trying to figure out if I should spend a little extra, or maybe break up the stay over a couple of properties. I have the following choices from the travel agent:

POP $124
Port Orleans $212

The other (Beach CLub) were too expensive at $392. I will probably stay in Florida from Jan 5th through the 17th and was thinking of staying on site at least from 5th to 12th. How is POP as a hotel? I'm a loser so no wife/kids, but my Mom will be with me but we don't have great needs for hotels or kid activities. I guess I'm just leaning at POP since I just need a place to sleep, but was wondering if I should break it up over two hotels - thought the logistics of doing that will probably not workout since don't want to move in between races. Any suggestions? I think I'm talking myself in just doing POP and be done with it.
I have stayed at the Pop and POR. Only POR for marathon weekend. The pop in my opinion is better than the all stars. Then right across the bridge is AoA which is a nice place to go look around at. POR I lived during marathon weekend no bus problems everything worked out great. Both have good food courts. POR also has Boatwrights a table service restaurant.

@Z-Knight I'm sort of a resort snob so I'd go with Port Orleans over Pop. I haven't ever stayed at CBR so I can't comment on that one, but I do know it's not a far drive at all to the race start/finish area, and I believe the rooms were recently refurbished.

I've stayed at Pop just one night...it was fine. Port Orleans French Quarter would be my top pick - it's compact and a really nice resort, and an easy drive to the start/finish. But if the room doesn't matter much to you and you want to save cash, I'm sure Pop would be fine too. :confused3

POP $124
Port Orleans $212

I stayed at Pop about 8 years ago (wow that was a long time ago), sent my parents there last year, and I'll be back for Marathon Weekend. I think it's the second best of the values (AoA is my favorite), and if all you're looking for is a place to sleep, I think it's a great choice. I also love the over-the-top theming (seriously, giant bowling bins/yoyos/rubiks cubes/8 tracks), but some people find it tacky. Also, there's only one bus stop, so if you're taking Disney transport and staying in the farther buildings, it can be a trek to/from the buses, which may not be what you want to do on race mornings.
That said ... I've never stayed at CBR or either of the Port Orleanses, but a lot of people find the moderates more relaxing, which is something that you may want for the races. Also, some of the moderates have queen beds (Pop has Doubles), which might be nicer if you spread out while sleeping.
I think it might be a hassle to move between races, but if you really want to try multiple hotels, then you can do it - lots of people do split stays. But my advice would be to look at pictures of the hotels and figure out which appeals most to you.

btw, the Port Orleans is Riverside resort..didn't realize there were multiple ones.

Thanks for the advice from all...I will have to look at the pics, and now kind of do want to do a split across two hotels just to get a couple of different experiences.

btw, the Port Orleans is Riverside resort..didn't realize there were multiple ones.

Thanks for the advice from all...I will have to look at the pics, and now kind of do want to do a split across two hotels just to get a couple of different experiences.
I like Riverside too. I've been there for 2 race weekends (Princess and Wine & Dine)...nice resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter