Marathon Weekend 2016

I think I will go ahead and not make any morning or lunch reservations for dining so we can just go with the flow that day.
THAT is a great plan! My best advice for cheering is to just be ready to go with the flow - you'll be happiest if you do :)

How annoying would it be if I held up a "dance break" sign (even just for a little bit)? Think anyone would dance with me?
Oh I GUARANTEE people will stop!

After that? I'm torn. I would love to see my husband and bestie around Mile 24 ... maybe even have them hand me a beer, but then I'm worried that they won't be able to get to the finish line in time to see me finish.
That's a race in itself... if you stop for a few pics between 24 and the finish, and he books it through EP, it could work... but...

You need to decide which is more important, seeing them at mile 24 when you'll more than likely need some encouragement and a mental boost, or seeing them at the finish when you can high five them as you run by to the line. Personally, I'd opt for mile 24. They'll be right there on the course so you can stop and talk and hug and all that. The finish is barricaded so you won't have the same access to them, and once you cross the line, you won't see them until after bag check anyway.
^ I couldn't' agree more with this! I cheered right about mile 24.5 this year and my running group unanimously agreed that it was a perfect location to have familiar faces armed with hugs, uplifting words, and food. We had folks who felt amazing but relished the chance to stop and chat for a minute while eating, folks who were in a groove and just gave us a big smile and a high-five as they sped by, and folks who were hurting badly and really, really needed us to help them finish. And I saw that carried over to the thousands of total strangers for whom we cheered and encouraged, too.

I like Riverside too. I've been there for 2 race weekends (Princess and Wine & Dine)...nice resort.

I stayed at POR during a couple marathon weekends, although I'm not the runner-DH is. But I ws always so impressed with how nice the resort was for running. Every morning, there'd be a group of runners (they appeared to have just met at the resort) that would jog along the paths up to POFQ. And the food court has just SO many choices. I always said that if I were a runner, that's where I'd want to stay. However, in fairness to Pop, this was before Pop was built and I've never stayed there, so maybe that's just as good.

I am DVC and wish we could stay at POR. I absolutely love that resort; it just seems so peaceful and the food court options and size are great!

^ I couldn't' agree more with this! I cheered right about mile 24.5 this year and my running group unanimously agreed that it was a perfect location to have familiar faces armed with hugs, uplifting words, and food. We had folks who felt amazing but relished the chance to stop and chat for a minute while eating, folks who were in a groove and just gave us a big smile and a high-five as they sped by, and folks who were hurting badly and really, really needed us to help them finish. And I saw that carried over to the thousands of total strangers for whom we cheered and encouraged, too.

I think I really like this plan; thanks for the heads-up on mile 24. I know I want to see my BF in MK, cause duh (ha), but I would love to give him a boost. This will be his first marathon and he's an amputee! What kind of food do you think is best at this place in the race? Anything in particular?

What kind of food do you think is best at this place in the race? Anything in particular?
Whatever your BF requests! It's a very individual thing, so best to ask :) We had licorice, chocolate, chips and soda for our folks, per their requests.

I need some hotel advice...I need to select hotels that came with my Dopey bib and since I've NEVER stayed on Disney property I was trying to figure out if I should spend a little extra, or maybe break up the stay over a couple of properties. I have the following choices from the travel agent:

POP $124
Caribbean Beach Resort $200
Port Orleans $212

The other (Beach CLub) were too expensive at $392. I will probably stay in Florida from Jan 5th through the 17th and was thinking of staying on site at least from 5th to 12th. How is POP as a hotel? I'm a loser so no wife/kids, but my Mom will be with me but we don't have great needs for hotels or kid activities. I guess I'm just leaning at POP since I just need a place to sleep, but was wondering if I should break it up over two hotels - thought the logistics of doing that will probably not workout since don't want to move in between races. Any suggestions? I think I'm talking myself in just doing POP and be done with it.

I really like having a hot tub option during race trips, so I would pick a moderate since the values do not have this option. Also, as others said they are more relaxing in set up and have lakes or larger rivers to run around. It makes it feel more vacation-y :) so that is my two cents!

I only have experience staying at CBR of those three choices. But it was way back in 2001. What I do remember is that every little "village" (it's broken up into little color coded building sections) had their own quiet/adult pool and then a big pool for families with slides by the main building/food court. I loved nights a the quiet pool. Not sure how that factors into a January trip since I've never gone in Jan.
The food court/main building can be a hike if you are located in a building farther away from it. But there are multiple bus stops and our building was both close to the bus stop and the main building. Look at a map and request a close building if that matters to you.
The resort felt very beach vacation to me, so I really liked that aspect.

I have POR on my bucket list of hotels though because it just looks so pretty.

We stayed at POP last January for the marathon (and have for many other trips too) and it was fine. No hot tub, but the bathtub was just fine. We were on the 4th floor so used the elevator some after the marathon. Nothing is that far of a walk. Their food court I really like and buses don't share with any other resort which is a plus. We're staying at All-Star Sports this Jan but would have picked POP again if we weren't getting a special through my CM bro.

Port Orleans is nice too, I've only stayed at Riverside not French Quarter. The hot tub is a nice plus and their foodcourt is good too. More bus stops than POP. Personally I would save the extra $$$ for souveniers/food and go with POP as I'm a no frills type person and just want a nice bed & foodcourt.

I agree about POR being peaceful. Stayed there during TOT10 Miler last year and I could have napped if I could have gotten over pre-race nerves. Stayed at AoA during another race weekend, and the value resorts (IMHO) tend to have more boisterous activity and thinner walls so you hear neighboring toilets flush. But I'm a bit of a resort snob myself! :)

Also, in addition to the good points about pools/ hot tubs, value resorts tend to have smaller beds and towels (doesn't sound like a big deal until you try to wrap it around yourself! o_O), and no refrigerator. Good luck!

I am on the fence about signing up for the full. I've been going back and forth since registration opened! This would be my first full marathon (I've run 3 half marathons). Question for those of you who have run this event before... How did it work having your extra long training runs in December during the busy Christmas season? I live in Maine, so there is a good chance I would be doing December long runs on a treadmill. Any thoughts on feasibility of marathon training in December for a mom of 3 who works full time?

I ran the full this past January as my first and I live in NH. My October and November long runs (20+) were awesome as it was cool, calm and ideal running temps for me. December was a little chiller (my Peanut butter GU was more like peanut butter fudge ;)) but still doable outside. I don't think I would have tried for a longer run in snow, so if you up have to I do it on a treadmill it might save you a twisted ankle.

Hope this helps.

January will be my first run Disney event. I'm running the 10K and my husband the 1/2. If we want to cheer each other on, what are the best way to do it. Also, if he wants to sleep in a little on my race day, how close to 5 could he catch the bus from POR and make it for me crossing the finish line? Is there usually a bus between 4:45 and 5 or is that too risky? Lastly, is there any open to get coffee, etc. near the 1/2 route?

January will be my first run Disney event. I'm running the 10K and my husband the 1/2. If we want to cheer each other on, what are the best way to do it.
Not sure about the 10K as I've never spectated that one before. I'd think maybe by the Boardwalk would be a good spot, or near the finish line.

I did spectate the princess half, which is the same course as the WDW half. Basically my plan was to get on the race transportation and take that to the starting area to see the start, then get the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch on Main Street...but I waited too long and missed the bus cutoff at 5.

I ended up taking a cab to the Magic Kingdom and parked myself on Main Street. I'd brought snacks along but they did have a coffee cart open, and I think Casey's was open as well. I don't remember that cart taking MagicBands, FYI. The Starbucks wasn't in the Magic Kingdom yet so I'm not sure if they would be open as well? But that side of the street is normally volunteers only so I'm not sure spectators would even be allowed over there to get coffee.

After seeing my BFF on Main Street I took the monorail back to Epcot and saw her enter and leave the park. Didn't see her at the finish this way, but it worked out that we got to see her 3 times, which I thought was pretty good. It helped that she had her phone on her so that we could text with her to see where she was...also helped that I'd run that course before so I had an idea of when she'd show up.
Also, if he wants to sleep in a little on my race day, how close to 5 could he catch the bus from POR and make it for me crossing the finish line? Is there usually a bus between 4:45 and 5 or is that too risky?
He has to be on a bus by 4AM and in the corral by 5...I normally try to be on a bus by 3:30. The drivers are contracted in by Mears (so they aren't Disney employees) and sometimes they don't know the routes very well or get stuck in traffic, so I wouldn't risk anything. Especially the morning of the half, as that's one of the bigger races.
Lastly, is there any open to get coffee, etc. near the 1/2 route?
See above!

I guess I am a spoiled DL RunDisney runner. Being on a bus by 3:30 a.m. for a 5:30 a.m. race sounds awful. :headache: Even stay off property at DL, we don't start walking to the start until about 4:45 for a 5:30 start! We also don't really care about getting to the front of the corral ... sleep is much more important! Ha.

I guess I am a spoiled DL RunDisney runner. Being on a bus by 3:30 a.m. for a 5:30 a.m. race sounds awful. :headache: Even stay off property at DL, we don't start walking to the start until about 4:45 for a 5:30 start! We also don't really care about getting to the front of the corral ... sleep is much more important! Ha.
From what I understand* it's just way different at WDW. No one is allowed to walk to the start, which means everyone has to drive or be bused in. Add to that road closures and the fact that WAY more people run the WDW races compared to the DL races...it's a much bigger production at WDW compared to DL. It's part of what you are signing up for/agreeing to when you register for a WDW race. :confused3

*I haven't ACTUALLY run at Disneyland yet so I could be talking out of my you-know-what. :)

The key is to let everyone else get on the bus at 330. Then you can wake up at 345, take your time, and get to the start five minutes before the gun. :)

From what I understand* it's just way different at WDW. No one is allowed to walk to the start, which means everyone has to drive or be bused in. Add to that road closures and the fact that WAY more people run the WDW races compared to the DL races...it's a much bigger production at WDW compared to DL. It's part of what you are signing up for/agreeing to when you register for a WDW race. :confused3

*I haven't ACTUALLY run at Disneyland yet so I could be talking out of my you-know-what. :)

all the more reason to leave early. I'm too paranoid to wait to the last minute - so I'll probably be at the buses at 3:00 am

Well, I will be close to one of the last corrals anyway I'm sure, so add another hour on top of waiting for the race start! HA. We participated in W&D last year and it was just bizarre to me since I was only used to DL.

all the more reason to leave early. I'm too paranoid to wait to the last minute - so I'll probably be at the buses at 3:00 am
Yeah, I'm not about to pay all of that money to register, get a hotel and fly down and then miss the buss or whatever. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter