Marathon Weekend 2016

I am on the fence about signing up for the full. I've been going back and forth since registration opened! This would be my first full marathon (I've run 3 half marathons). Question for those of you who have run this event before... How did it work having your extra long training runs in December during the busy Christmas season? I live in Maine, so there is a good chance I would be doing December long runs on a treadmill. Any thoughts on feasibility of marathon training in December for a mom of 3 who works full time?

I'm in the cold north as well and have done the January full once. I kind of liked training in December. I like winter running anyway but being able to run around looking at Christmas lights during the long runs is a lot of fun.

I did two 20 mile training runs as part of my training plan and the second was in a pretty heavy snowstorm. It wasn't windy at all but at the start the ground was dusted with snow and by the end there was about 3 inches on the un-plowed potions of the streets. I had to get up on the sidewalk while a couple of plow trucks past so I wasn't pelted by the salt they were spreading. Other then slowing me down a bit it wasn't all that bad and I look back on it as an interesting experience.

Thanks for all the comments and advice about training for a January marathon in the cold (and potentially snowy) north! Very helpful and encouraging. Now I'm looking at plane tickets :). Has anyone flown in on Saturday for the marathon? The expo closes at 4:00 pm and I am looking at a flight that would arrive MCO at 12:20 p.m. If I took a cab straight to the expo, is that cutting it too close to get my bib? Do they have any provisions for late pick-up due to weather or flight delays?

Thanks for all the comments and advice about training for a January marathon in the cold (and potentially snowy) north! Very helpful and encouraging. Now I'm looking at plane tickets :). Has anyone flown in on Saturday for the marathon? The expo closes at 4:00 pm and I am looking at a flight that would arrive MCO at 12:20 p.m. If I took a cab straight to the expo, is that cutting it too close to get my bib? Do they have any provisions for late pick-up due to weather or flight delays?

Personally I would fly in on Friday instead of Saturday if I was doing the full. There are too many variables when flying to risk it. I was once delayed in Atlanta for fourteen hours while traveling for a Disney race. It was an early Thursday flight while I was doing the half so I had over a full day to lose if I had to but if I were cutting it close I would have missed the expo.

Personally I would fly in on Friday instead of Saturday if I was doing the full. There are too many variables when flying to risk it. I was once delayed in Atlanta for fourteen hours while traveling for a Disney race. It was an early Thursday flight while I was doing the half so I had over a full day to lose if I had to but if I were cutting it close I would have missed the expo.
Wow! 14 hours! And January is a terrible time of year for weather related delays. Probably worth the extra night in a hotel to come in on Friday. I will likely use Starwood points for Swan/Dolphin, so it doesn't add a great deal of cost.

Oh, gosh - now something else for me to stress over! Spectating
Don't stress there is plenty of time to come up with a good gameplan and everyone here seems to be a wealth of knowledge

If they hoof it, they'll be able to make it. The walk from BW/BC to the finish is a bit shorter than the run to the finish, so they could get there depending on how fast they walk compared with how fast you'll be running. You need to decide which is more important, seeing them at mile 24 when you'll more than likely need some encouragement and a mental boost, or seeing them at the finish when you can high five them as you run by to the line. Personally, I'd opt for mile 24. They'll be right there on the course so you can stop and talk and hug and all that. The finish is barricaded so you won't have the same access to them, and once you cross the line, you won't see them until after bag check anyway.

I really like the sound of this...I'm wondering if this would be a better option than having everyone meet at the finish.....but then I also like the idea of them actually seeing me finish too...Ill have to pose it to them and see what they like better, a potentially more intimate meeting or seeing me cross the finish....

Has anyone used the Yasso 800's for a race time predictor? If so, how accurate was it for you? For those who are not familiar with the Yasso 800's, it is a series of runs performed over the course of your training plan in which you start out running 4x800 meters. You jog/recover the same amount of time it took you to run the 800 meters. Each week you add another 800m to the run until you get to 10. The idea is the average (I think) time it take you to run the 10x800 meters = your marathon time. So if you average 4:00 minutes/800m = 4:00:00 marathon. Sounds like a good way to get some speed work in and a interesting theory.

I don't think I have ever seen anything that divides people more than Yasso 800's, I have never personally used them but I can see how they COULD relate but I could also see the flip side where you are running them just to hit a certain number and that wont necessarily translate to the actual marathon, when it comes to the Marathon unless you are really gunning for a PR or a certain time I don't think speed work is as crucial though I do think mixing in some is a good idea but I would think you might be better of just running some 200 or 400 repeats but that's just my humble totally non expert opinion

POP $124
Caribbean Beach Resort $200
Port Orleans $212

We have stayed at POP multiple times and we like it, our whole theory is that we would rather spend our money on other things than just to have a nicer room/resort. but we are also not the type that spends a lot of time at our room/resort. I love the other the top theming at POP but that's a personal thing. We are staying at AoA this year and am looking forward to it as well. As a runner the POP/AoA area has a nice little spot to get some runs in called Hourglass Lake wich is between the two resorts if I remember right its about a mile around and is usually pretty quiet

This is a great idea. And to expand on it a little. Bring a sharpie and camera. This way all of the DIS'ers that stop can sign it. Also snap pics of everyone stopping and dancing.

THIS x 1000

Has anyone used the Yasso 800's for a race time predictor? If so, how accurate was it for you? For those who are not familiar with the Yasso 800's, it is a series of runs performed over the course of your training plan in which you start out running 4x800 meters. You jog/recover the same amount of time it took you to run the 800 meters. Each week you add another 800m to the run until you get to 10. The idea is the average (I think) time it take you to run the 10x800 meters = your marathon time. So if you average 4:00 minutes/800m = 4:00:00 marathon. Sounds like a good way to get some speed work in and a interesting theory.

As someone mentioned, there is opposing views on the Yasso 800s. I read a very good article on this method where they basically say that the fact that there appears to be a correlation between the Yasso times and marathon times is more coincidence than actual mathematical correlation. I think I agree with that sentiment. I don't think you can simply run some 800s and look at the time to then accurately predict what you will do in a longer race....even when you do multiple Yasso's. I think they help your speed like any intervals will and they may give you an idea of your fitness level, but I don't think that direct fitness will translate to longer races. Some people can be fast for short races (and short training regimens like the Yasso series of 10), but their overall conditioning won't be as good for a full 26.2 miles - there are just too many other variables like hydration level, electrolyte levels, etc that make up a big picture of how good your 26.2 run will be. That's just my $0.02 and I've not run a 26.2 but if I used Yasso as an indicator it tell me that I should be able to run it in like 3:30 or 3:40, but I doubt I can crack 4 hours at the moment. I guess I'll see when I complete the half marathon in September and then I can tell if the Yasso's are good at predicting.

I don't do Yasso 800s, but the plan that I follow has me occasionally do 6x800 in addition to a number of other repeated intervals with shortened rest times. Currently I run my 800s in 3:39 or less with 1:30 rest in between; I could probably get 10 in that time or less with an extra two minutes of rest in between, but even with already doing 20 mile training runs I think I'm 10-15+ minutes (at least) away from a 3:39 marathon finish.

Doing the Yassos likely will help build up speed and endurance for a marathon, but I think it's hard to consistently expect to translate 5 miles of work to a 26.2 mile target -- not only because of the difference in distance but also because of the difference in time it takes to do them. It would take me roughly an 01:15:00 to do 10x800 with the above times. Weather conditions likely won't change near as much in that time as they will in the 3.5-4 hours it will take to run a marathon, and my body will likely have some different responses/issues over an extra 2-3 hours.

Again, they're probably still helpful and can serve as a good benchmark of progress throughout training, but I wouldn't take it as given that it will translate into a marathon time.

As someone mentioned, there is opposing views on the Yasso 800s. I read a very good article on this method where they basically say that the fact that there appears to be a correlation between the Yasso times and marathon times is more coincidence than actual mathematical correlation. I think I agree with that sentiment. I don't think you can simply run some 800s and look at the time to then accurately predict what you will do in a longer race....even when you do multiple Yasso's. I think they help your speed like any intervals will and they may give you an idea of your fitness level, but I don't think that direct fitness will translate to longer races. Some people can be fast for short races (and short training regimens like the Yasso series of 10), but their overall conditioning won't be as good for a full 26.2 miles - there are just too many other variables like hydration level, electrolyte levels, etc that make up a big picture of how good your 26.2 run will be. That's just my $0.02 and I've not run a 26.2 but if I used Yasso as an indicator it tell me that I should be able to run it in like 3:30 or 3:40, but I doubt I can crack 4 hours at the moment. I guess I'll see when I complete the half marathon in September and then I can tell if the Yasso's are good at predicting.

I think the key things is that the Yasso 800's are being used in the context of a broader training plan. You could build a training plan around the Yasso's and that would definitely skew the results. I think its just a matter of using it as a way of measuring the progress you are making as a result of the rest of your training plan.

Not sure about the 10K as I've never spectated that one before. I'd think maybe by the Boardwalk would be a good spot, or near the finish line.

I did spectate the princess half, which is the same course as the WDW half. Basically my plan was to get on the race transportation and take that to the starting area to see the start, then get the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch on Main Street...but I waited too long and missed the bus cutoff at 5.

I ended up taking a cab to the Magic Kingdom and parked myself on Main Street. I'd brought snacks along but they did have a coffee cart open, and I think Casey's was open as well. I don't remember that cart taking MagicBands, FYI. The Starbucks wasn't in the Magic Kingdom yet so I'm not sure if they would be open as well? But that side of the street is normally volunteers only so I'm not sure spectators would even be allowed over there to get coffee.

After seeing my BFF on Main Street I took the monorail back to Epcot and saw her enter and leave the park. Didn't see her at the finish this way, but it worked out that we got to see her 3 times, which I thought was pretty good. It helped that she had her phone on her so that we could text with her to see where she was...also helped that I'd run that course before so I had an idea of when she'd show up.

He has to be on a bus by 4AM and in the corral by 5...I normally try to be on a bus by 3:30. The drivers are contracted in by Mears (so they aren't Disney employees) and sometimes they don't know the routes very well or get stuck in traffic, so I wouldn't risk anything. Especially the morning of the half, as that's one of the bigger races.

See above!
Thank you for the info! I realize I wasn't clear in my question. I was asking how close to 5 am he could catch the bus and see me cross the finish for my 10K. Do that run them until 5 or do they stop earlier than that. Like last bus at 4:45 etc.

So it sounds like I could potentially go with him to the race, see him start take the monorail to MK see him on main st, monorail back and see him at the finish? Or is that too much for the 1/2?

Thank you for the info! I realize I wasn't clear in my question. I was asking how close to 5 am he could catch the bus and see me cross the finish for my 10K. Do that run them until 5 or do they stop earlier than that. Like last bus at 4:45 etc.

So it sounds like I could potentially go with him to the race, see him start take the monorail to MK see him on main st, monorail back and see him at the finish? Or is that too much for the 1/2?
Sorry I misread that! This is a screenshot of last year's program...we tried to wait to get the very last bus to spectate Princess just before 5 and they didn't let us on, so I'd say 4:45 at the latest to be safe.

I think your plan to spectate the half sounds good! It was a long morning when we did it but very fun. :)
image.jpg

Does anyone have a screen shot or general idea regarding POT and last years corral placement? I didn't submit a POT and was placed in corral P. I am running a half in September and plan and finishing in 2 hours. Does anyone have an idea on what corral that would translate to for the marathon?

Does anyone have a screen shot or general idea regarding POT and last years corral placement? I didn't submit a POT and was placed in corral P. I am running a half in September and plan and finishing in 2 hours. Does anyone have an idea on what corral that would translate to for the marathon?

Below are the corrals for 2015; adjusting just over 2x a 2-hour half time you'd be looking somewhere G-I maybe.

image.jpg1_2.jpg

I was in G for the full marathon in Jan with a POT half of 2:02, so with a 2:00 you may get F or G

I think the key things is that the Yasso 800's are being used in the context of a broader training plan. You could build a training plan around the Yasso's and that would definitely skew the results. I think its just a matter of using it as a way of measuring the progress you are making as a result of the rest of your training plan.
This is it exactly. The Yasso 800 repeats are just one workout every other week introduced into your training plan. They will not get you there by themselves, but they ARE an accurate indicator of your finish time in a marathon if you run 10 correctly toward the end of your training regime.

I am on the fence about signing up for the full. I've been going back and forth since registration opened! This would be my first full marathon (I've run 3 half marathons). Question for those of you who have run this event before... How did it work having your extra long training runs in December during the busy Christmas season? I live in Maine, so there is a good chance I would be doing December long runs on a treadmill. Any thoughts on feasibility of marathon training in December for a mom of 3 who works full time?

I somehow missed about 5 pages of posts. I wasn't getting updates. Anyway, I am from MA. We had record snow last year. So I know all about running in bad weather. But, I signed up for the marathon this year anyway. Like someone else said, you major long runs will be in October/November and by December you start to taper so it isn't as much of an issue.

I am also running my first marathon. I also have 3 kids and work full time. I am turning 40 next week and decided it's time to push myself out of my comfort zone. My friends talked me into signing up for the full back in May and I have somehow managed to get all of my planned training in so far. I know it's going to continue to get harder from here on out, and I'm not sure how December is going to go, but I'll figure it out. So I say, YES, DO IT! If you have the support of your family and friends, go for it!

BTW, I loathe the treadmill and refuse to run more than 3 miles on a treadmill, so I'm really hoping that the predictions of a mild winter are true! :)

This sounds so familiar. I have 4 kids, work full-time, and started running last year to get out of my comfort zone. I ran my first full last year and Disney will be my third.

I also agree that you should fly out on Friday. If you are coming from the north where weather might be an issue you might as well be safe and get there the day before. You don't want to do all this training and pay all this money to risk missing the race because you are snowed in at an airport. Depending on where you stay it may only be an extra $100 for the extra night.

As for the person looking for opinions on hotels (I forgot to quote it) I would say POR, then POP, and CBR in that order. I have never stayed at POR but have friends that loved it. I have stayed at POP and didn't like it. I actually prefer All Star Sports (the only other value I have stayed at) to POP. I'm not sure where your travel agent is getting their prices because those are way higher than what I got from mine. Do you have to use that travel agent?

I need some hotel advice...I need to select hotels that came with my Dopey bib and since I've NEVER stayed on Disney property I was trying to figure out if I should spend a little extra, or maybe break up the stay over a couple of properties. I have the following choices from the travel agent:

POP $124
Caribbean Beach Resort $200
Port Orleans $212

The other (Beach CLub) were too expensive at $392. I will probably stay in Florida from Jan 5th through the 17th and was thinking of staying on site at least from 5th to 12th. How is POP as a hotel? I'm a loser so no wife/kids, but my Mom will be with me but we don't have great needs for hotels or kid activities. I guess I'm just leaning at POP since I just need a place to sleep, but was wondering if I should break it up over two hotels - thought the logistics of doing that will probably not workout since don't want to move in between races. Any suggestions? I think I'm talking myself in just doing POP and be done with it.

My travel agent quoted me the following:

$283.50/night- Beach Club
$157/ night- Port Orleans

These include taxes as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter