LOSE BEFORE YOU CRUISE - Support Thread for all Cruisers

Good Morning, just found this thread as I was checking the meets thread.

Our next cruise is the EB Panama Canal Crusie on December 9th. I am embarassed to say that I signed up for 2 excursions that have weight limits and I am over that weight.

So here I am - I would like to lose 21 pounds by the time we sail. Today I am committing to eating better, watching my portions, stop non-stop snacking and exercise 6 days a week.

I will be re-joining Weight Watchers this evening. Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated - I need all the motivation I can get.

Tammy

I am posting this personal story in hopes to help others get through an emotional period in a healthier way.

It is amazing how emotions can impact eating. Yesterday, was a very emotional day. A coworkers 22 year old son was rushed to the hospital in the morning, and the news was not good. I worked through the morning waiting for news. It came to lunch time. My lunch was packed, but I just felt that I needed something warm, and I had to get out of the office. I was headed out of the office and down the street for french fries with gravy. Before leaving, I stopped to update another coworker on the events of the morning. She was as devastated as myself, and decided to join me on my "walk". I did not tell her the walk was to the fast food store. We walked out of the building and turned right not left, and walked through a beautiful treed area, came back more relaxed, and without the fries. I was suppose to go to yoga at 5:30 with my DH for my first time (always felt that I was too big and clumsy for those classes). I received the news shortly after 4:00 that my coworkers son did not make it. Again, the emotions elevated, and I felt that I needed to slow down and decided not to rush out of work and go to yoga. How was I going to tell the rest of the team, what words do I use. How do you tell 60 people. Email is so impersonal. I pulled it together .... slowly and finally left the office at 6:00 - missing my yoga class. I really could have easily gone straight home because I had a business call at 8:00 and I did need to get in some supper, instead, I thought about my trainer saying, even 20 minutes helps. So I went to the gym, got on the treadmill for 30 minutes, prayed and thought a lot about my coworker and the importance of making a difference for myself and others every single day.

Today, I did not let my emotions get in the way. I have a new life, and french fries and missing my exercise are not going to help these emotions, it probably would have done the opposite.

I'm so sorry to hear about your co-workers loss - my thoughts and prayers to them.

Great job on controling the emotional eating - I admire your strength.

We will be on the EPPC cruise together - I read about your weight loss and would love to hear your tips and suggestions. I lost about 75 pounds a few years ago, but have managed to gain them all back and then some. Right now I feel terrible about myself and need to regain control of my eating. One day at time.

Tammy

I'm so sorry to hear about your co-workers loss - my thoughts and prayers to them.

Great job on controling the emotional eating - I admire your strength.

We will be on the EPPC cruise together - I read about your weight loss and would love to hear your tips and suggestions. I lost about 75 pounds a few years ago, but have managed to gain them all back and then some. Right now I feel terrible about myself and need to regain control of my eating. One day at time.

Tammy

Hey Tammy,

It is great to see you on the thread. I would say the key to my success has been recording everything going in my mouth, exercising with a personal trainer including cardio on my own, and finally this group. Oh yes, I was going through the empty nest syndrome when this all starter, in the meantime, by son move back home.

I am feeling great about how I look, and it could be so easy to stop now, but I am still considered overweight by WW, so I am striving for 24 lbs by cruise date. I plan to work out during the cruise to minimize the weight. To tell you the truth, I love exercise, cooking is my issue. I HATE to cook, and do not find it easy. I have allowed work to take over my life, and gained 40 lbs in 6 years. During that 6 years, I was up and down 10 - 20 lbs from my max. I lost the weight through attending WW meetings, but with out the consistent exercise, it would come back on.

I know what you mean about the shore excursions. I was not over the max weight, but I felt that I did not have the flexible to scale a cliff to go zip lining. I think that one was in Cozumel.

If you put your mind to it, you can do it. If you need to share, and you do not want to do it on this site, please email me. You have my personal email for the FE. I am looking forward to hearing your success.

Hey Tammy,

It is great to see you on the thread. I would say the key to my success has been recording everything going in my mouth, exercising with a personal trainer including cardio on my own, and finally this group. Oh yes, I was going through the empty nest syndrome when this all starter, in the meantime, by son move back home.

I am feeling great about how I look, and it could be so easy to stop now, but I am still considered overweight by WW, so I am striving for 24 lbs by cruise date. I plan to work out during the cruise to minimize the weight. To tell you the truth, I love exercise, cooking is my issue. I HATE to cook, and do not find it easy. I have allowed work to take over my life, and gained 40 lbs in 6 years. During that 6 years, I was up and down 10 - 20 lbs from my max. I lost the weight through attending WW meetings, but with out the consistent exercise, it would come back on.

I know what you mean about the shore excursions. I was not over the max weight, but I felt that I did not have the flexible to scale a cliff to go zip lining. I think that one was in Cozumel.

If you put your mind to it, you can do it. If you need to share, and you do not want to do it on this site, please email me. You have my personal email for the FE. I am looking forward to hearing your success.

Thank you for the encouragement - I must say that I am not off to a good start, but today is a new day. My DD and I going to the sign up at the gym tonight - I'm going to take it one day at a time - I just need to find the motivation to start.

tammy

I've been slowly taking off the 25 pounds I gained stress eating last year...5.5 pounds down so far!
Anyway, I'm also coming back to exercise after whiplash (car crash) so it's slow going, but we can do it!
Hmmm. Wonder if I'll get back to my goal weight for my November cruise or the April one? Either way, I will make it!
:)

Success is not a race, be patient.
Success leads to success.
Success is always a work in progress.
Success doesn't come to you--you go to it.
Success is a journey, not a destination. Focus on the process.
Some people dream about success... while others wake up and work hard at it.
Success is achieved and maintained by those who try-and keep trying.
Everyday is a good day to SUCCEED!
If at first you don't succeed-try, try again

Inspiration for today, courtesy of a blog I googled.
http://gettingthin1.tripod.com/id8.html

Hit the 50 lb mark today!:cool1: Less than 11 weeks before I cruise. Goal is 2 lbs. a week. I will no longer be considered obese in 14 lbs. I have added extra cardio to get the weight coming off again.

Relaxin' said:
Hit the 50 lb mark today!:cool1: Less than 11 weeks before I cruise. Goal is 2 lbs. a week. I will no longer be considered obese in 14 lbs. I have added extra cardio to get the weight coming off again.

Congratulations!

No change day three of no change.

BUT
I'm feeling stronger than I have in a long time.

If you are working out, you may be gaining muscle as you are losing fat. I found weighing myself once a week was helpful - then you do not get yourself down with no changes from day to day. I know what you mean by feeling stronger. I was starting to feel like I could not do things because I lost the strength, now I feel a good 10 or more years younger.

Relaxin' said:
If you are working out, you may be gaining muscle as you are losing fat. I found weighing myself once a week was helpful - then you do not get yourself down with no changes from day to day. I know what you mean by feeling stronger. I was starting to feel like I could not do things because I lost the strength, now I feel a good 10 or more years younger.

I'm thinking it was more sodium and less gaining muscle. You're right that weighing everyday can drive you nuts, but as my big issue has been emotion based bingeing, knowing I will be weighing everyday helps keep me doing healthy stress activities (walks, do my nails, clean the house, etc.) rather than bingeing.

Hi! I've been lurking here on disboards since my first trip to Disney last year and I finally joined just so I could join this thread! We are cruising on the Dream In Feb 2013.

My goal is 40 lbs by Feb 10.
Plan: exercise 6-7 days a week (running, cycling, or yoga)
Keep calories to 1700/day

Currently I'm considered "obese" though I think that's a horrible, insulting word. I'm here to support all of you and get sone cheering in return!

Today I biked 4.3 miles. I have never biked that far in my life! What did you do today to stick to your goal? <3

Missypyxi said:
Hi! I've been lurking here on disboards since my first trip to Disney last year and I finally joined just so I could join this thread! We are cruising on the Dream In Feb 2013.

Currently I'm considered "obese" though I think that's a horrible, insulting word. I'm here to support all of you and get sone cheering in return!

Today I biked 4.3 miles. I have never biked that far in my life! What did you do today to stick to your goal? <3

Went for a short run with DS at dawn and then did a nice long session with the elliptical at the Y.
Also eating plenty of healthy food!

Oh! I also started on My Fitness Pal! I'm missypyxi on there, too, if anyone else is using it and wants to be friends. :thumbsup2

Welcome to the group.

Sounds like you have an attainable goal.

I agree with you about the word "obese". In a way, it helped motivate me to get myself out of that zone, but I think I am just go to use the word unhealthy from now on. Personally, I am so happy to have lowered my blood pressure over the past nine months along with the weight loss.

Thanks, relaxin! I have never been on a cruise before, so I'm incredibly excited! Excited about getting healthy, too. I have always been overweight, since I was about 10 years old, so I'm hoping this will be just the push I need to get out of the sedentary mentality. :)

Checking in- 3 days until goal hurdle #1. I had the goal of losing 7 lbs by 10/4- my trip to food and wine festival. (ultimate goal is for march 30 cruise). So far, I have been diligent about exercise- boot camp 3-5 days a week plus running once or twice a week or gym once or twice, but not huge progress with eating. My change-which is nominal-reflects my nominal change in eating! I had dropped 5 of 7 lbs, then the lively "hormone hell week" made its monthly appearance. Back up a few pounds, which typically goes away quickly. However with the food and wine festival, I'll just be happy not to GAIN any weight, much less lose.
All-in-all, I'm not as concerned about the scale since I have plenty of time before the cruise. I am very happy to spend time with my family (and in the knowledge that I would beat any one of them in a race around seven seas lagoon! Lol!!)

You can do it, carolinamom!

I hit a speed bump. Sprained a calf muscle running yesterday, I'm SO angry. But I'm going to focus on biking, walking, and yoga and hopefully be back to running in a few weeks.

I had that monthly visit and gained back all of my initial weight loss. Nw I'm back where I started and hoping when I weigh myself tomorrow it'll be even less. Frustrating! Hoping to be down 10 lbs by Halloween. That would be super!

*desperately tries to resuscitate the thread*

The scale went down one pound this morning!! Woo!! Anyone out there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter