I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

Another question: I am going to tie dye a nursing shirt for myself. It has an all around underlayer, and then the top layer. For those of you unfamiliar with it, its kind of like two shirts hooked together. Will I have to do anything special as I'm dyeing it? Anything to keep in mind? Is it even possible?

And, I'm going to do a Onesie for the baby. Again, anything special? Would I die it snapped up or unsnapped?

Thanks so very much!!

These shirts are great, I am goin to have to experiment and try and make some for my trip, luckily I have lots of time to practice!! I'm sure I won't get it the way I want the first time and if it's not perfect I'll need a redo!

Another question: I am going to tie dye a nursing shirt for myself. It has an all around underlayer, and then the top layer. For those of you unfamiliar with it, its kind of like two shirts hooked together. Will I have to do anything special as I'm dyeing it? Anything to keep in mind? Is it even possible?

And, I'm going to do a Onesie for the baby. Again, anything special? Would I die it snapped up or unsnapped?

Thanks so very much!!

I think that is a great idea.

I would just do the top layer in the mickey shape and not bother rubber banding the 2nd later (or at least not in the mickey shape.) I would try to not die the 2nd layer, or do it in a lighter shade so it doesn't show through. Just do one side at time for the onies too and it doesn't mater if it is snapped or unsnapped. We did onies for my kids before and they were super cute. Be sure to use a smaller mickey shape.

Keep in mind, if the shirt is too tight on females it looks funny. I did a tank top and since it stretches I can't wear it. Mickey looks like a deformed alien since I am not flat chested. :rolleyes1 Other shirts are fine as long as they are not tight. :laughing:

These shirts are great, I am goin to have to experiment and try and make some for my trip, luckily I have lots of time to practice!! I'm sure I won't get it the way I want the first time and if it's not perfect I'll need a redo!

The best thing about tie-dye is that no matter how they turn out, they always turn out great. Have fun experimenting!

P.S. There's also a lot of tips over on the Spiral Tie Dye thread...

We made shirts last night- thanks to the many helpful tips I found on the boards. Here they are:
47b7d702b3127ccebc2abd12283c00000025101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abdf5a9eb00000026101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abdfda9e300000026101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abddc28f200000026101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abd03a91d00000026101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abd0da91300000026101AZsXLhszbMY

47b7d702b3127ccebc2abd1da90300000020101AZsXLhszbMY

I think they turned out pretty good :) I used the template and also did a "free form" mickey design.

Thanks so very much!!

If there are two layers on the nursing top, I'd ony stitch and dye the top part and pull it really tight. I agree with the poster about either not dying the under part or dying it in a light color. I don't think it should be a problem... The baby onesie you can tie dye snapped on un-snapped...it shouldn't make a difference as far as the Mickey goes since that's up higher. I did one for my neice... 0-3 months!! I think I did it un-snapped.

IMG_4060.jpg

BTW, this guy sells the absolute best dyes I've ever used!! I highly recomend him and right now he's offering free shipping:hippie:

http://tiedyekits.silentpulseinstruments.com/tdkindex2.html

I am not creative and know that I would definitely mess this project up!! I really would love for my familyto have these shirts. If anyone is going to be making shirts like this for their children, I will gladly pay you for your time and supplies if you would be willing to make extra. PM me if you are interested. These shirts are darling!!

I'm so glad I found this thread! We go to WDW 4 or 5 times a year & I wanted to make special shirts. These look do-able (even though I can't sew & it's time consuming) & I can't wait to make them & share pictures!

Thank you everyone for posting your detailed pictures so far. It's been really helpful & now I think I understand how to do it!

OMG I love all these! I am totally going to have to make DD a Tshirt tie dye dress now !

Thanks to the OP for this thread. I like how my shirts came out and we had so much fun at the parks. I glued rhinestones around the mickey heads on the girls shirts. It was very quick and easy. We were stopped numerous times and asked how we made them.The CMs would say things like, "you've got your own hidden mickey". It was also very easy to keep up with our group in the park--very easy to spot that tie dye:hippie:

We loved them so much that we washed them each night and wore them everyday, sorta our Disney uniform now.

Hi. We did our tie dye shirts on Saturday and just wanted to give a little tip we figured out. The trick to get the mickey ears to be prominant on the shirts is to REALLY pull the dental floss tight when you knot it. Also, to
REALLY make the rubber bands tight when you band off the mickey head. Keeps the dye from seeping through too much.

I'll post pics when I get time to take them. These shirts are awesome! A great big thanks to whoever started these and to those who posted with step by step instructions. My hubby says he won't wear his, but I say he will. We're going with extra family and his mom will make him wear his. Just look for us Sept. 17-24th. He'll be the one who looks like grumpy wearing a tie-dye shirt. LOL!!!

We made these shirts for our trip last year and even though it was our first attempt at tye dye I think we did a pretty good job. The directions were great. We wore these to MK and I can't tell you how many times we were stopped and asked where we bought these! Bought them. They couldn't believe it when I said we had made them. This is a picture of 4 of us but grandma and grandpa were wearing them too so there were 6 of us all wearing these together.

100_0228.jpg

tigger and tink- those are so great! and it was your 1st time. what an awesome job you did!!!! very very nice!
i'd love to try these for our next trip.
thanks for sharing the pic with us

We made these shirts for our trip last year and even though it was our first attempt at tye dye I think we did a pretty good job. The directions were great. We wore these to MK and I can't tell you how many times we were stopped and asked where we bought these! Bought them. They couldn't believe it when I said we had made them. This is a picture of 4 of us but grandma and grandpa were wearing them too so there were 6 of us all wearing these together.

100_0228.jpg

Those look great for first time shirts! I bought the stuff this weekend to make shirts for me and my daughter :3dglasses

100_0228.jpg

I love the colors you used. Can you share what brand dye you used and the colors? Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. We just used the tie dye kit from Michaels. I think the brand was Tulip and it came with the 5 vibrant colors. As you can see ds mickey head was a little blurred so remember after you stitch and are putting the rubber bands around the mickey head to get them really tight. He didn't care and they were each unique so different parts stood out. We did different shirts for each day we were there but the rest were all iron on transfers and while they turned out good, these were by far our favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter