I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
I'm planning to make some tie dye t-shirts for our trip in December, but I'm not "getting" it! I know to stitch the floss around a mickey shape and pull it to gather it. Do I do that on both the front and back? Once that's done, what do I do with the rest of the shirt? How do I go about applying the dye? Anyone have a more detailed description or photos of the process? Sorry to be such a dork!

GG-

Shriva has some photos of when it was done, but as of right now, I am unable to pull them up. They are on Post #5096 of the WDW T-shirt thread.

If they continue to not load, I will take some tonight when I do some more.

that would be awesome if you can take some pics doing it...as i am a visual person as well, and want to know if i am doing each step right.

disneyeveryyear said:
GG-

Shriva has some photos of when it was done, but as of right now, I am unable to pull them up. They are on Post #5096 of the WDW T-shirt thread.

If they continue to not load, I will take some tonight when I do some more.

I think he deleted them as he left the t-shirt thread in a huff. Could you please take some more to help everyone out?

Thanks!

Denise,

I have taken pictures of the stitching and banding process, didn't take any of the dyeing yet.

I am more than willing to post these if you think they would help. They are currently on the photobucket site. I know a lot of people are having trouble accessing that. Should I copy them to the DIS photos? If so, how do I do that? I was proud just to figure out how to download from my digital camera and how to post on photobucket.

disneyeveryyear said:
Denise,

I have taken pictures of the stitching and banding process, didn't take any of the dyeing yet.

I am more than willing to post these if you think they would help. They are currently on the photobucket site. I know a lot of people are having trouble accessing that. Should I copy them to the DIS photos? If so, how do I do that? I was proud just to figure out how to download from my digital camera and how to post on photobucket.

I'm not having any trouble with the Photobucket site. I would still probably do them there as there is a solution to get around it. Thanks for taking new pictures. Appreciate the time and effort it must be to do so! Can't wait to see them. I want to try it for our trip.

OK - Here goes:

1. Draw Mickey head on front and back of shirt
PA050250.jpg

2. Baste just outside of pencil marks
PA050256.jpg

3. Pull thread tight making sure all material poofs to the outside
PA050258.jpg
PA050259.jpg

4. Tie off (keeping very tight) Mickey heads are on right and left - neckline showing to the top of picture, sleeve laying on top of shirt
PA050262.jpg

5. Band around Mickey heads
PA050266.jpg

Here is a close up you can see "ears" are smaller tabs, "head" is larger
PA050265.jpg

Now is where it gets to be very personal. I wanted concentric circles around Mickey's head - like the pictures of my kids' shirt. Thus I just kept bunching the fabric in a tube and banding every couple of inches up to neckline and sleeves.
PA050267.jpg

I then banded top of each sleeve
PA050268.jpg

Then I banded the sleeves 1/2 down and banded down the bottom part of the shirt
ccf300ff.jpg

To produce more of a white outline around Mickey head and to separate colors more, use more than one rubber band. The most recent shirts I have done have about 1" of banding around head. DD6 dyed her g-ma's tonight. We'll have to see how it looks tomorrow.

Additionally, some sites say to pleat before you band, or roll. To be honest, I pleated the first two and didn't like the way they turned out. Thus, I just started scrunching from then on.

Hope these help. If someone needs more pics, let me know. I still have at least 3 more shirts to go!

disneyeveryyear said:
OK - Here goes:

1. Draw Mickey head on front and back of shirt
PA050250.jpg

2. Baste just outside of pencil marks
PA050256.jpg

3. Pull thread tight making sure all material poofs to the outside
PA050258.jpg
PA050259.jpg

4. Tie off (keeping very tight) Mickey heads are on right and left - neckline showing to the top of picture, sleeve laying on top of shirt
PA050262.jpg

5. Band around Mickey heads
PA050266.jpg

Here is a close up you can see "ears" are smaller tabs, "head" is larger
PA050265.jpg

Now is where it gets to be very personal. I wanted concentric circles around Mickey's head - like the pictures of my kids' shirt. Thus I just kept bunching the fabric in a tube and banding every couple of inches up to neckline and sleeves.
PA050267.jpg

I then banded top of each sleeve
PA050268.jpg

Then I banded the sleeves 1/2 down and banded down the bottom part of the shirt
ccf300ff.jpg

To produce more of a white outline around Mickey head and to separate colors more, use more than one rubber band. The most recent shirts I have done have about 1" of banding around head. DD6 dyed her g-ma's tonight. We'll have to see how it looks tomorrow.

Additionally, some sites say to pleat before you band, or roll. To be honest, I pleated the first two and didn't like the way they turned out. Thus, I just started scrunching from then on.

Hope these help. If someone needs more pics, let me know. I still have at least 3 more shirts to go!

Looks great! Now will you take some of the dye process, etc, and then post the finished shirt?

Thanks so much for the pictures!!! :) I showed the shirts to my mom and she wants to try them. Neither one of us could figure out the directions because we are both visual learners!! Now we can make our shirts for our Grand Gathering! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Please post more pictures as you complete your shirt. We will be waiting. :earboy2:

This is great and I really want to try this.....but I am also rather dense when it comes to this stuff. So the actual mickey part of the shirt you don't twist or anything just leave it puffed up and dye it?

Disneyeveryyear,

Thank you so much for taking the time to take and post those photos!! That really helps me understand how to fold the shirt. I had been trying to figure out what to do with the sleeves. :goodvibes

Thanks again!! :wave2:

Spinning said:
This is great and I really want to try this.....but I am also rather dense when it comes to this stuff. So the actual mickey part of the shirt you don't twist or anything just leave it puffed up and dye it?

I didn't do anything else to the Mickey Head, just tie it off, band it, and dye it. It will scrunch when you pull the (I used dental floss).

More info. On the first shirt I used, I did not use enough rubberbands and the color ran onto the Mickey. I was able to salvage it. But for DH's shirt I used 10 rubberbands and the color did not run. Have fun.

No wonder I can't get any white. The most we have used is 3 rubber bands. Haven't been able to keep colors from bleeding.

disneyeveryyear...

thanks for the pics...can't wait to see the ones of the dying process...

how many die kits do you need??? do i need more than one?

karen

I found a cute orange tie-dyed t-shirt on clearance for $3, and I'm wondering if I could somehow make the Mickey design on this in black without the dye getting spread to the rest of the shirt. I would like to make this for MNSSHP. Would this work?

Sweet Maxine, I don't know about that. Is there black dye you can buy? Also, I would use lots and lots of rubberbands to keep the black in the spot you want. Good luck.

sweet maxine said:
I found a cute orange tie-dyed t-shirt on clearance for $3, and I'm wondering if I could somehow make the Mickey design on this in black without the dye getting spread to the rest of the shirt. I would like to make this for MNSSHP. Would this work?

Sweet Maxine - I don't know why this wouldn't work. Are the shirts 100% cotton? I would do all of the steps as usual - wash and dry without any fabric softener, trace, baste and band your mickey head. I believe that Michael's and Hobby Lobby both sell black dye from Rainbow Rock. Just be careful when applying.

Another thought would be to get dark color transfer paper and print a black mickey head on it and iron it on.

onedisneylover said:
disneyeveryyear...

thanks for the pics...can't wait to see the ones of the dying process...

how many die kits do you need??? do i need more than one?

karen

Karen,

The # of tie dye kits you need will depend on how many colors you want to use. I ended up buying 4 kits because my kids use liberal amounts of dye and they tend to use specific colors heavily. Luckily I have been using 40% off coupons at Michaels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter