I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

applechips said:
ok, so I went to a tie dye party yesterday and I made 4 shirts...one for me and my dh and one each for my 2 year old son and my 5 year old daughter. I sewed the Mickey head on the front only of the shirts and then did the tie die spiral. I dyed the Mickey head black and did blue and purple on the other parts for all of the shirts. I got a bit overzealous with the black dye and used too much of it on all but 1 of the shirts and so the black ran a bit and the Mickey head isn't very clear.

My shirt :scared: seems to have been the worst one...the head is even crooked! oops! My son's shirt turned out the best I think. I used Procion fiber reactive dyes for this. I am ging to redo my shirt and possibly my husband's shirt to get the heads to look a little better. (are thes pics huge? sorry!!)

Daughter's shirt
ayshirt.jpg

Son's shirt (turned out the best I think)
ashirt.jpg

Husband's shirt
xlshirt.jpg

My shirt :scared:
myshirt900.jpg

I think the colors are great..if you want more defintion on your mickey you may be able to salvage it with some bleach (a bleach pen and a paint brush) I think it looks good though

shellynn24 - Thanks! Yes, i used swarovski crystals (the iron on type jewels) or you can glue them down. I just wanted a little bling! :) I got them at our local craft store called Hobby Lobby, but i'm sure you can get them at any craft store. I would of put more, but they can get expensive.

well I just finished mine...they are in the wash now. I think they came out pretty well for my first time tye dying!! When I was doing them, I thought I did something wrong. The only thing I don't like is there is too much red on my little ones. I did a onsie for him and tried making orange, but it didn't work...just looks like a lot of red. I probably should have done that on the bottom instead of the top...should have put blue at the top. Oh well.

DS #1 loves them...and he could tell the mickey, and he didn't even know what I was doing. I'll try and take some pics and post them after they are out of the dryer.

Bump save!! Thanks for everyone's pictures, and dirrections. I have studied very carefully and will attempt to make shirts for my boys this week!:wizard:

Does anyone recommend using soda ash for the dying process- it was by the dyes at the Michael's stores, so I got it, although I haven't a clue what is is/how to use it!! Thought my crafty DIS-sers could help out there.

Speaking of Michaels- white tees are 1.88 through today (Saturday 4/21) so it would be a good time to stock up for those looming projects!! The 2XL are not on sale (5.99 I think)

Thanks to any and all DISers who posted pics, directions, & tips!
I hope to do this when school is out, with the kids in my care (Nanny for 8 & 10 yr old). They are going to WDW one month after my fam.

I know my DD age 14 will help (she loves "the 2 squirts") but what do you think chances are she'll wear one of these ~ and same day as her parents!? LOL :lmao:

Does anyone recommend using soda ash for the dying process- it was by the dyes at the Michael's stores, so I got it, although I haven't a clue what is is/how to use it!! Thought my crafty DIS-sers could help out there.

I soaked our shirts in the soda ash for 20 minutes...but I had a kit that included it. You should pre-wash your shirt too without using farbic softner for "best results"

I used fishing line to do the Mickey head stitch, and TWO bags of heavy weight rubber bands from Wal-fart.

YES, the sale at Michaels was GREAT!! Too bad they didn't put the plus sizes on sale too, but $6 isn't all that bad. I wish they also had baby sizes too, but luckily I found t's for my boys at Wal-fart. I got the tie-dye kit with three colors for under $7 since I had a 40% off coupon from last Sunday's paper. Gotta love Michaels!!:thumbsup2

Just sending out a HUGE thank you to the OP. The pictures really helped me understand the directions, and I ended up with shirts I am very proud to say I made!!:banana:

Here they are...

Ryan's Shirt

Front
TDFC9.jpg

Back
TDFC8.jpg

Tyler's Shirt

Front
TDFC7.jpg

Back (ticks me off the back looks better than the front on his, but oh well)
TDFC6.jpg

Ter's Dad's (I think his looks the best out of everyone's)

Front
TDFC3.jpg

Back
TDFC2.jpg

Ter's

Front
TDFC5.jpg

Back
TDFC4.jpg

Mine :minnie:

Front
TDFC1.jpg

Back
TDFC.jpg

Okay, now I REALLY get to get my tail upstairs and finish packing for this trip!:hippie:

Diz-Mommy,

Awesome Shirts!! :) Great Job!! I especially like your shirt!!! :banana:

Wow! Yours came out great. I'm going to try to get to mine next week. I hope they end up looking as nice as yours.

Well, I made my shirts last night for our upcoming trip. I opted to do one solid color, rather then a bunch of colors. Here they are:

TyeDyeT-Shirts003.jpg

TyeDyeT-Shirts001.jpg

Thanks for the instructions and the pictures "disneyeveryyear". I couldn't have done it without your help.

That's a cool idea!! I might do that for our next trip since we're going with a ton of people. Each family could have their own color:3dglasses

I love everyones shirts! I am going to give it a shot and try it out... (I have never tye dyed anything....) :)

Never tried these, but look so cool. What does it mean to baste around the mickey head? DW would love one of these shirts. Don't think I could pull it off tho. :surfweb:

From what I understand basting is doing a loose sewing stitch... Sort of like __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _

With some sort of slick thread. I use fishing line, but I've heard others use dental floss too.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts