I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

hey all - I keep this page bookmarked for inspiration, but I just don't have the ambition to read all through to get one question answered...

I'm using Dharma dyes (fiber reactive procion) made with the recommended urea - I mixed up 2 cups of each of three colors, and ended up only using about 1/3 of each squirt bottle on my 7 shirts (2 kids, 5 adults). My question is - can I "keep" pre-mixed dye?

I have half a thought of dying some cotton muslin fabric to make a new Fish Extender, but I'm not exactly ready (haven't measured/cut/washed/tied) - can I stick the bottles of dye in the fridge or something?

I didn't find anything on the FAQ page on the Dharma website.

Anyone have any experience here?

one more random thought - the Dharma website (where I printed off the directions) says tie first, soda ash soak next, then dye.

of course, this makes for difficult wringing (the cinnamon-rolls are hard to squeese out) and probably explains why I used so little dye - the shirts were literally dripping dye probably because they were soaking wet of soda ash water.

anyone get good results with tie-soak-dye rather than soak-wring-tie-dye?

I don't know if I can wait 24 hours, I'm DYING (dyeing? lol) to see how these turned out. I did some a few years ago (red white & blue, as seen in my sig) - this time I went "caribbean" with two shades of blue and one green...

Last time I did them, I did soak, dry (my error), tie, dye (dry shirts = LOTS of Tulip dye and 3 trips to Michaels)...

They are kind of more white than I wanted (I think because they were too wet with soda ash water) but I am thrilled with the Mickey head definition!

8964471347_e24cb74110.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8964468299_06fb7d746f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8964465303_6fcd25b71c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8964462657_d00e8e13ca.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8965651444_3041e4c999.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I've made the shirts for 3 of our last 4 trips. This time we are going to be there for the MNSSHP. Going with the Halloween theme, I wanted to use Halloween-ish colors. I am a Dharma zealot, so I am looking for specific colors from them. My initial thoughts are orange, purple and green, My wife is a traditionalist and wants the Mickey heads to be done with black dye. Thoughts from you all?

I know there are a lot of different ways to technically do this, but I found a kit clearanced at Hobby Lobby and picked it up. My question is what is the best thread / material to use to stitch the Mickey Head? I had originally thought fishing thread, BUT read that Dental Floss would be good as well but it had to be unscented...

Opinions? I will be working on these this weekend as we leave in 29 days :)

I use waxed unflavored dental floss as recommended on this board on 3 batches of shirts over the last few years. I have found that the trick to getting good definition of the outline is to pull the floss as tight as possible and then putting 1-2 inches of super tight rubber bands below the puckered part. I personally think the wider rubber bands work better. Another tip I learned is to start and end your stitching inside the shirt so that you can tie it off on the inside to avoid a big dot of white where you tied off the floss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter